PDA

View Full Version : Double-check on non-profit advertising

DracoDei
2010-03-04, 05:30 PM
I have an idea for a therapeutic use of D&D that I wish to share (without profit) with any psychological professionals that might frequent the board. I know it sounds somewhat implausible, but I have the green-light of a psychological professional that it is a useful idea (although very dangerous if attempted by a non-professional, which is why I am forgoing describing the details in any public area) and is worth seeking to share via these forums. The concept is that I would post a message asking such professionals to contact me so I can describe the particular insight I arrived at via PM. The problem is I am not sure where would be the most effective to post this, and, given the obscure nature of the search, posting to up to 4 areas of the board might be indicated for maximum coverage. Please advise as to what I should do. The areas I think would be likely candidates are:

Roleplaying Games
OOC (Since the ideal people to share this with are people who actually GM games.)
Homebrew (Since this is a very unique twist on uses of D&D, and might require some customization of the rules in question. In addition this is the area I am most well-known in so people will take the offer seriously.)
Friendly Banter

I could space the thread creation apart by a week or so if that would help, or if the wider experience of the mods (I stick to the Homebrew forum mostly) indicates that some of the concepts above are superfluous.

Thank you kindly for your time.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-04, 06:00 PM
Friendly banter.

Roleplaying is for the actualy playing of games, not the discussion.
OOC is again, for people in actualy games.
Homebrew is for created rules for the game.
Friendly Banter is everything else.

LordZarth
2010-03-04, 09:03 PM
Roleplaying Games is not at all for the playing of games, it is for discussing roleplaying games and things relating. That would be the obvious choice.

OOC definitely not. That's for OOC of currently running PbPs. Friendly Banter could work, but you'd probably have more success in Roleplaying Games.

As for homebrew: doesn't necessarily have to be for posting actual homebrew, but must relate to it... ask yourself, is this really homebrew? If you have doubts, you're probably stretching it. :P

Zherog
2010-03-04, 09:10 PM
Roleplaying games is for discussion about games. On-Going games is the forum where games take place.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-04, 11:23 PM
Oops, you're right.
My bad.

Anyways, if your idea is about D&D in particularly and playing it, etc. . . like the games one. If its more the psychological concept, then I would recommend Friendly Banter.

Lord Herman
2010-03-05, 02:00 AM
I'd post it in Friendly Banter. I think you'll find more psychologists there than in Roleplaying Games, as it's also the forum where threads like the Depression Thread are.

I think cross-posting is against the forum rules, though, so I wouldn't post it to multiple forums.

Zeb The Troll
2010-03-05, 02:13 AM
I have a question about this. How would you verify the credentials of any interested party? You say that in the wrong hands this is a potentially dangerous approach to therapy, yet it sounds like you're willing to divulge it to anyone who asks.

I am aware of two people on the forums who openly acknowledge being the type of professional you seek, assuming that by "professional" you mean "someone trained/licensed in psychotherapy" and not strictly a psychiatrist/psychologist. I can vouch for their credentials because I know them both personally, but how would you distinguish between a professional and someone who's just curious?

Killer Angel
2010-03-05, 06:22 AM
I have an idea for a therapeutic use of D&D that I wish to share (without profit) with any psychological professionals that might frequent the board.

Beware of the consequences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=15062250)... :smallwink:

I have a question about this. How would you verify the credentials of any interested party?

If I'm not wrong, it's a issue similar to the one regarding legal advices expressed by forumeers...

DracoDei
2010-03-05, 02:49 PM
I am aware of two people on the forums who openly acknowledge being the type of professional you seek, assuming that by "professional" you mean "someone trained/licensed in psychotherapy" and not strictly a psychiatrist/psychologist.
Correct. Perhaps you could PM them and ask them to PM me.

I can vouch for their credentials because I know them both personally, but how would you distinguish between a professional and someone who's just curious?
By realizing that, according to my personal moral code, in this case I am not responsible for the consequences if people lie to me. Also, given that I have discussed what I am going to do with regards to these boards with a professional councilor, I have a certain amount of indication that everything is fine on the ethical and legal fronts as well.

Beware of the consequences (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/index.html?curid=15062250)... :smallwink:
That is a very remote possibility, but such concerns are on my (undoubtedly incomplete) mental list of why this isn't good idea to spread around.

If I'm not wrong, it's a issue similar to the one regarding legal advices expressed by forumeers...
Which is?

I'd post it in Friendly Banter. I think you'll find more psychologists there than in Roleplaying Games, as it's also the forum where threads like the Depression Thread are.
What my advisor in this matter has expressed is that the psychological professional would have to be the GM, so that sorta skews the target population the other way. If I wanted psychological professionals in general, this isn't the board I would use.

I think cross-posting is against the forum rules, though, so I wouldn't post it to multiple forums.
My idea was to spread the posts out enough that it wouldn't break the rules. If that has to be 6 weeks (which is what the strictest reading of the forum rules would indicate), then that is fine.

Killer Angel
2010-03-05, 04:14 PM
Which is?

The board policy is not to allow legal advice to be posted because of liability issues (for example, different laws on the same issue, due to different jurisdictions).
At the same level, probably it's better to avoid professional counsels from playgrounders, regarding psycological matters (even via PM): You should consult an appropriately qualified, licensed and insured legal professional in your own jurisdiction, if you would like useful advice on this matter.

DracoDei
2010-03-05, 10:07 PM
The board policy is not to allow legal advice to be posted because of liability issues (for example, different laws on the same issue, due to different jurisdictions).
At the same level, probably it's better to avoid professional counsels from playgrounders, regarding psycological matters (even via PM): You should consult an appropriately qualified, licensed and insured legal professional in your own jurisdiction, if you would like useful advice on this matter.
:smallsmile:In other words, I should proceed without any concern what-so-ever on that regard, since I fully acknowledge that *I* don't have any special legal status in ANY jurisdiction when it comes to giving advice on psychological matters, and I am looking to GIVE an idea, not GET advice.:smallcool:

Killer Angel
2010-03-06, 05:46 AM
...I am looking to GIVE an idea, not GET advice.:smallcool:

oh, well, effectively... :smallredface:
What can I say? good luck with your idea! :smallsmile:

DracoDei
2010-03-09, 08:14 PM
oh, well, effectively... :smallredface:
I am not sure what you meant here. Could you clarify? Because I see the situations as being very different...

Zeb The Troll
2010-03-10, 01:35 AM
I am not sure what you meant here. Could you clarify? Because I see the situations as being very different...He's saying "Oh, uh, oops. That was mildly embarrassing. Nevermind then. Carry on!"

He misinterpreted your intent and realized the mistake when you clarified it in your next post.

In related news, some other people I've spoken to have made the same mistake, thinking you were looking for advice rather than seeking to share an idea. :smallconfused:

Killer Angel
2010-03-10, 04:26 AM
He's saying "Oh, uh, oops. That was mildly embarrassing. Nevermind then. Carry on!"

He misinterpreted your intent and realized the mistake when you clarified it in your next post.

I can confirm that it was exactly this. Thanks Zeb.

In related news, some other people I've spoken to have made the same mistake, thinking you were looking for advice rather than seeking to share an idea. :smallconfused:

I've had the impression that he was looking to form a sort of "working group" on this idea, hence the potential difficult having together (for example) a USA psycologist, a French one, and an amateur from Japan. My fault.

smellie_hippie
2010-03-12, 06:45 AM
DracoDei, I sent you a PM in response to this thread. Did you get it?