PDA

View Full Version : Handmaiden of Euryale/Stheno

Geiger Counter
2010-03-04, 07:41 PM
The medusas were said to have once been human worshippers of two minor deities of petrification. Euryale a goddess of magic and Stheno a goddess of combat who reside in Archeron. It is said that the souls of anyone turned to stone they are immediately transported to their realm where they are frozen in place, however they can listen and talk. They have no memory of this if they are ever cured. Stheno and Euryale don't exactly care if they are worshipped, however they seem to grow in power from the number of souls trapped in their realm, so they just want more people turned to stone.
Handmaiden of Euryale
Hit Die: d4
Requirements
To qualify to become a Handmaiden of Euryale, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: LN, LE or NE.
Spellcasting: Ability to cast the spell “Flesh to Stone” spontaneously. Ability to cast 9th level spells
Class Skills
The Handmaiden of Euryale’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Bluff (Cha), Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Profession (Wis), Spellcraft (Int) and Use Magic Device (Cha).
Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.
Table: The Handmaiden of Euryale
{table=head]Level|
Base Attack Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|
Special|
Spells per Day

1st|
+0|
+0|
+0|
+2|
Snake Hair, Venom Immunity, Arcane Knowledge|
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class

2nd|
+1|
+0|
+0|
+3|
Stone Gaze, Darkvision, Immunity to Petrification, Arcane Knowledge|
+1 level of existing arcane spellcasting class
[/table]

Class Features
All of the following are Class Features of the Handmaiden of Euryale prestige class.
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Handmaidens of Euryale gain proficiency with the short bow and the longbow.
Spells and Caster Level: When a new Handmaiden level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if she had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which she could cast 9th-level spells before he added the prestige class level. She does not, however, gain new spells known and they can't switch out spells. Also, they do not gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained. If a character had more than one spontaneous arcane spellcasting class in which she could cast 9th-level spells before she became an Handmaiden, she must decide to which class he adds each level of Handmaiden for the purpose of determining spells per day.
Snake Hair (Ex): On her first level A Handmaiden of Euryale looses all the hair from on top their head and is permanently replaced by a mane of snakes which gives the Handmaiden a 1d4 +strength modifier bite attack. However unlike real Medusas, a Handmaiden’s snake mane is not normally poisonous. The Handmaiden of Medusa has partial telepathic control over this mane, and can direct it to bite or lay still. Handmaidens of Euryale frequently wear large ornate hats in order to appear as normal to other humanoids.
Venom Immunity (Ex): On her first level, a Handmaiden gains immunity to all poisons from snakes and snakelike entities. This includes all normal snakes like vipers and black adders, all naga, all yuan ti and of corse medusas.
Arcane Knowledge: On her first level a Handmaiden of Euryale treats the spell Snakeskin as if it were on her spells known. However it does not take up any space on her spells known list. On her second level a Handmaiden of Euryale treats the spells Arcane Poison and flesh to stone, mass as if it were on her spells known. However they do not take up any space on her spells known list.
Darkvision (Su): At 2nd level, a Handmaiden can see in the dark as though she were permanently under the effect of a darkvision spell.
Immunity to Petrification (Ex): One her second level a Handmaiden of Euryale Gains immunity to any flesh to stone affect.
Ex Handmaidens of Medusa: A Handmaiden who becomes a forbidden alignment looses her gaze and darkvision ability and her ability to cast the spells “Arcane Poison” and “Snake Skin”, until she returns to an applicable alignment.

Arcane Poison
Necromancy
Level: Handmaiden 4
Components: V, S, F
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: Instantaneous; see text
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes
Calling upon the venomous powers of natural predators, you infect the subject with a horrible poison by making a successful melee touch attack. The poison deals 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage immediately and another 1d10 points of temporary Constitution damage 1 minute later. Each instance of damage can be negated by a Fortitude save (DC 10 + 1/2 your caster level + your Cha modifier).
Focus: The fang from a snake or snakelike entity.

Snake Skin
Transmutation
Level: Handmaiden 2
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Touch
Target: Living creature touched
Duration: 10 min./level
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)
Snakeskin toughens a creature’s skin and gives them the appearance of a Medusa. The effect grants a +2 enhancement bonus to the creature’s existing natural armor bonus. This enhancement bonus increases by 1 for every three caster levels above 3rd, to a maximum of +5 at caster level 12th.
The enhancement bonus provided by Snakeskin stacks with the target’s natural armor bonus, but not with other enhancement bonuses to natural armor. A creature without natural armor has an effective natural armor bonus of +0. This spell can be cast even if the target has no natural armor bonus.
Material Component: A scale from a snake, or snakelike entity.

Flesh to Stone, Mass
Transmutation
Level: Handmaiden 9
Targets: One or more creatures, no two of which can be more than 30 ft. apart.
Powerful arcane energy is released from the eyes and hits enemies in a chain effect. This spell functions like Flesh to Stone, except as noted above.

(None of the spells gained through arcane knowledge can normally be added to the sorcerer's spell list.)
(Handmaiden of Stheno coming soon)

DracoDei
2010-03-04, 08:01 PM
I THINK that the traditional concept is that PrCs this short should be turned into feat chains or Alternate Class Features, but I wouldn't necessarily do that unless you think it through carefully (simply because I am a sucker for innovative stuff that "breaks the rules"). I will say that this is a cheap way of getting a boost to Will saves (but that is a problem with the way multi-classing works in general under RAW, rather than so much with this PrC in particular).

What are your intended functional differences between the Poison spell and Arcane Poison, if any?

Is Snake Skin just a re-named Bark-skin?

If they are just supposed to grant access to spells that arcanists can't normally cast, just say they add those to their list of spells known (just like you already have), and treat them as arcane spells. This keeps other arcanists from grabbing them, preserving a bit of game balance, and making the class more special. Of course, you should go ahead and emphasize the fluff differences between these versions and the original ones.

Zom B
2010-03-04, 08:10 PM
Also aside from the oddity that is a two-level prestige class, I feel inclined to comment on the requirement that you have to cast 1st level arcane spells spontaneously AND be able to cast a 6th-level Sor/Wiz spell. At least spread this out among five levels.

Another thought: Medusas are CR 7. By the time a character can take levels in this PrC (level 12 at the earliest), medusas are not that great a thing anymore. Just sayin'.

EDIT: Also, at level 2, you give them the ability to use Flesh to Stone at will. You sure about that? You also neglect to list any ability that this is based on.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-04, 09:00 PM
If they are just supposed to grant access to spells that arcanists can't normally cast, just say they add those to their list of spells known (just like you already have), and treat them as arcane spells. This keeps other arcanists from grabbing them, preserving a bit of game balance, and making the class more special.

done.

What are your intended functional differences between the Poison spell and Arcane Poison, if any?...Of course, you should go ahead and emphasize the fluff differences between these versions and the original ones.

I thought I did, casting snake skin has the added bonus of effectively disguising the recipient as a medusa. Also the intended use of arcane poison is being channeled through their natural bite attack.

I feel inclined to comment on the requirement that you have to cast 1st level arcane spells spontaneously AND be able to cast a 6th-level Sor/Wiz spell. At least spread this out among five levels.

I have no idea what you just said means. As an example a creature that has flesh to stone as spell like ability couldn't take this class unless they additionally take a level in bard, dusk-blade or sorcerer.

Another thought: Medusas are CR 7. By the time a character can take levels in this PrC (level 12 at the earliest), medusas are not that great a thing anymore. Just sayin'.

CR ratings are not helpful in determining how powerful an ability can be in the hands of a player. For example a wight monk would be able to kill things with negative level and potentially amass an unlimited amount of spawn and they would be CR3.

Also, at level 2, you give them the ability to use Flesh to Stone at will. You sure about that? You also neglect to list any ability that this is based on.

I most certainly do not, It says that apart from the channeling the spell through the eyes this spell ability is just the same as casting the spell "flesh to stone" meaning you have to use up a 6th level spell slot.

Debihuman
2010-03-05, 01:51 AM
This should be easy enough to convert into a 3 or 5 level prestige class to make it more standard.

However, there are some problems. Darkvision is normally given in increments of 30 ft. and that information is missing.

Also, what constitutes a snake-like creature. You should list them or at least give some examples.

Spells and Caster Level: Levels in the handmaiden prestige class, even though they do not advance spell progression in the character’s base class, still stack with the character’s base spell casting levels to determine caster level. This is unfortunate because this makes this class less interesting to spellcasting classes. Rather they should skip one level of spellcasting level in order to advance.

Arcane Knowledge: On her first level a Handmaiden of Medusa treats the spell Snakeskin as if it were on her spells known. However it does not take up any space on her spells known list. On her second level a Handmaiden of Medusa treats the spell Arcane Poison as if it were on her spells known. However it does not take up any space on her spells known list.
This is not a feature that I particularly like.

Debby

Zom B
2010-03-05, 08:31 AM
I have no idea what you just said means. As an example a creature that has flesh to stone as spell like ability couldn't take this class unless they additionally take a level in bard, dusk-blade or sorcerer.

The ability to cast a spell is not the same as having that spell as a spell-like ability. Therefore, as written, you have to be able to cast 6th level spells to cast Flesh to Stone. Now, if you had "Ability to cast Flesh to Stone or Flesh to Stone as a spell-like ability", then what you intended is there.

CR ratings are not helpful in determining how powerful an ability can be in the hands of a player. For example a wight monk would be able to kill things with negative level and potentially amass an unlimited amount of spawn and they would be CR3.

This is true. I just thought I'd pointed it out. It seems odd to me to have a prestige class called a Handmaiden (therefore lesser than the creature it serves) of Medusa. But, as you point out, you want creatures with Flesh to Stone as a SLA to be able to take this PrC as well, so that's not as large of a concern. Also, as you point out, monster abilities in players' hands can go badly. Look at how many CR 1 monsters out there have flight, for instance, and look at how much flight is restricted among player races (well, for the most part. There's still stuff like gloamings).

I most certainly do not, It says that apart from the channeling the spell through the eyes this spell ability is just the same as casting the spell "flesh to stone" meaning you have to use up a 6th level spell slot.

That may be what you intended it to mean, but it reads as if the character gains the ability (probably spell-like) to make a gaze attack that turns creatures to stone. "This ability is otherwise identical to the casting of a 'Flesh to Stone' spell" means that this ability emulates that spell. It doesn't say anywhere that you have to cast Flesh to Stone to activate this gaze attack, it just says it identical to the casting. Probably a better wording would be:
The Handmaiden of Medusa can alter her Flesh to Stone spell as it is being cast to make it a gaze attack. The range of the spell changes to 30 ft, and the duration changes to 'Special.' Creatures in the range of the gaze attack must attempt a Fortitude save each round against the DC of the spell. Failure indicates that they are affected by the spell as normal.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-05, 05:36 PM
I just noticed the range of gaze attacks compared to the normal flesh to stone spell. What I wanted is a flesh to stone spell with multiple targets so that's now updated.

This should be easy enough to convert into a 3 or 5 level prestige class to make it more standard.

I see no reason to do this other than OCD.

However, there are some problems. Darkvision is normally given in increments of 30 ft. and that information is missing.

It's the same wording as the shadow dancer.

Also, what constitutes a snake-like creature. You should list them or at least give some examples.
Kay, did I miss any?

This is unfortunate because this makes this class less interesting to spellcasting classes. Rather they should skip one level of spellcasting level in order to advance.

I just made this class more appealing to casters.

This is not a feature that I particularly like.

Those abilities are key to the class and unlimited access to armor and poison requires a greater sacrifice, and that's why I'm making the handmaiden of Stheno.

The ability to cast a spell is not the same as having that spell as a spell-like ability. Therefore, as written, you have to be able to cast 6th level spells to cast Flesh to Stone. Now, if you had "Ability to cast Flesh to Stone or Flesh to Stone as a spell-like ability", then what you intended is there.

changed my mind.

This is true. I just thought I'd pointed it out. It seems odd to me to have a prestige class called a Handmaiden (therefore lesser than the creature it serves) of Medusa.

good point, updated.

Debihuman
2010-03-06, 03:56 PM
You give out a LOT of special abilities at each level. Rather, I think spreading it out over the course of 5 levels is more in keeping with how other prestige classes work.

Really you have to be able to cast 9th level spells to gain entry into this prestige class? You do realize that means a sorcerer can only get this at 18th level. At that level, getting permanent darkvison 60 feet doesn't seem too exciting. Since flesh to stone is a 6th level spell, a caster should be able to enter the class at 12th level. I think making it an 18th level requirement is too high. Heck, even 12th level is pretty high for entering a prestige class.

However, I think Snake Hair and Venom Immunity are terrific.

On the other hand, you have spells that lists levels of Handmaiden that are more than 2. How is this possible if there are only 2 levels of this class?

Debby

Temotei
2010-03-06, 04:07 PM
You give out a LOT of special abilities at each level. Rather, I think spreading it out over the course of 5 levels is more in keeping with how other prestige classes work.

Really you have to be able to cast 9th level spells to gain entry into this prestige class? You do realize that means a sorcerer can only get this at 18th level. At that level, getting permanent darkvison 60 feet doesn't seem too exciting. Since flesh to stone is a 6th level spell, a caster should be able to enter the class at 12th level. I think making it an 18th level requirement is too high. Heck, even 12th level is pretty high for entering a prestige class.

However, I think Snake Hair and Venom Immunity are terrific.

Debby

Agreed. As is, the class is really weak compared to other options available.

Debihuman
2010-03-06, 04:25 PM
Arcane poison is on par with the poison spell, but since a Handmaiden has to be high level (18th as is now) to get it, it's like getting a spell that a 5th level druid or a 7th level cleric already has. Even if you drop the requirement to 12th level, odds are that this spell is too weak for the class.

Since it is already determined that the caster level is at minimum 18, it's a standard +5 bonus to enhancement from the snake skin spell. However, this is not always beneficial if there is better enhancements to be found. Stackiing rules apply. BTW, barkskin is a 2nd-level druid spell. Giving out a spell like to a 18th level character is almost an insult. Even dropping the requirement to 12th level doesn't make this spell enticing.

I'd recommend changing spells to make them more befitting the high level you require. For example, Arcane Poison should do 2d10 worth of damage. Snake Skin should last 1 hour per level.

The best spell that you have is flesh to stone, mass. All three spells should be Handmaiden 1 or Handmaiden level 2. There is no other level of Handmaiden.

Debby