PDA

View Full Version : Very Bummed

Crow
2010-03-04, 10:32 PM
Came down with Poroneal (foot) Tendonitis while doing stupid crap for work the past two weeks.

For the past year I have been training for the Crossfit Games (http://games2010.crossfit.com/starthere.html), and now I am watching them go bye bye. There is no way that my foot will be better by the time the qualifier takes place (end of March).

This is a real bummer, because not only will I miss these games, but I can't do loads of things that I love (most involve standing, walking, or running in some way) while the tendon is healing. Last time I had tendonitis (that time, in the knee), it was almost 2 months healing. =( I can't even play with my daughter at the park.

Add to this that I still have to do the things at work that caused it, because nobody else is remotely qualified to do it, and we are going through a once-every-three-years make-or-break evaluation. So of course there is the possibility that this thing is going to get worse.

Anyhow, just wanted to vent a little, as I am feeling quite depressed.

Thanks.

Serpentine
2010-03-04, 10:34 PM
[title-joke]Shouldn't this be in the LGBT thread? [/title-joke] BOOM BOOM

I'm really sorry to hear that, it sucks :smallfrown: Anything OHS-wise you can do to improve your workplace?

Thajocoth
2010-03-04, 10:46 PM
Take a big dose of comedy. They say laughter is the best medicine, and hey, if it doesn't heal you quickly enough? At least you had some fun anyway.

Shas aia Toriia
2010-03-04, 11:08 PM
Wow, that really sucks.
Nothing that bad has ever happened to me, but something similar has, and I feel your pain. :smallfrown:

CollinPhillips
2010-03-05, 12:25 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your pain, but on an unrelated note, what is your time on Linda?

Crow
2010-03-05, 12:28 AM
I'm sorry to hear of your pain, but on an unrelated note, what is your time on Linda?

Like 30 minutes, give or take 2 minutes or so depending on the day. Yours?

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2010-03-05, 12:34 AM
First,I have to say, if you can prove to your employer that the injury is work related, you should be entitled to workman's comp. And if they still force you to do said tasks, I would think there should be legal steps to take to make sure you don't. Yes, you may be the only one who can do these tasks well, but your job is not worth your health/well being. Second, I actually know a guy who fractured his collarbone training on his bike about three weeks before the Louisville Ironman Triathlon last year. But, since the $600 entry fee was non refundable, he actually went through with it anyway, and actually did finish. He was like 2-3 hours slower than he wanted to be, but swimming 3 miles in the Ohio River, then being in a crouch position on a bike for 120 miles or so is a damn impressive feat.

CollinPhillips
2010-03-05, 01:09 AM
Like 30 minutes, give or take 2 minutes or so depending on the day. Yours?

28:32. My current 1RM for deadlifts is just over 2x BW.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 01:11 AM
When someone's concerned about nobody else being able to do what they can do moreso than being concerned about the injury itself, I'm not thinking it's the employer forcing 'em to get back to work. Least, that's the feel I'm getting from it.

Sucks to hear that you jacked up your foot, Crow. How'd you do it?

Crow
2010-03-05, 08:22 PM
When someone's concerned about nobody else being able to do what they can do moreso than being concerned about the injury itself, I'm not thinking it's the employer forcing 'em to get back to work. Least, that's the feel I'm getting from it.

Sucks to hear that you jacked up your foot, Crow. How'd you do it?

No, you're right. But this is the biggest eval we've had in 3 years and things are already going rough. Luckily I've kept my part of the pie sqeaky clean though. Basically everything we do leads up to these, and stepping out right now, no matter what the reason is, would be detrimental to my career.

I fear that if I step out, I will be remembered as "bailing out", rather than "was injured so enlisted a subordinate".

I injured the damn thing sprinting on un-stable ground.

rayne_dragon
2010-03-05, 08:26 PM
Just wanted to add my empathy - leg/foot injuries are awful. I never realized how much I use my legs for stuff until they were hurt. I hope you get better quickly.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 09:51 PM
No, you're right. But this is the biggest eval we've had in 3 years and things are already going rough. Luckily I've kept my part of the pie sqeaky clean though. Basically everything we do leads up to these, and stepping out right now, no matter what the reason is, would be detrimental to my career.

I fear that if I step out, I will be remembered as "bailing out", rather than "was injured so enlisted a subordinate".

Ah, alrighty. What line of work are you in, if you don't mind me asking?

I injured the damn thing sprinting on un-stable ground.

That's always a good plan. We get about one or two guys damaging themselves a week thanks to the ice up here - I just got mine in today, combination of broomball last week and impromptu splits today.

ForzaFiori
2010-03-05, 11:08 PM
I feel your pain man. I did something similar to the tendons in my foot last year during cross country. Wound up having to miss the rest of the season. The good news, however, is that there will be more Crossfit Games, so all you gotta do is heal up and be more careful when sprinting. It gives you more time to work on everything

Lolzords
2010-03-06, 08:50 AM
[title-joke]Shouldn't this be in the LGBT thread? [/title-joke] BOOM BOOM

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. :smallbiggrin: