PDA

View Full Version : Masterwork Tools

BenTheJester
2010-03-04, 11:16 PM
This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack.

This is a pretty well known rule.

So what custom items did you, playgrounders, create?

An example of mine:
Menacing Gauntlet
This iron gauntlet is filled with razor-sharp spikes, and contains special cavities who hold the blood of previous enemies

This single gauntlet is perfect for making you look more fearsome and gives you a +2 circumstance bonus on Intimidate checks.

FishAreWet
2010-03-04, 11:19 PM
Books

+2 Knowledge (xxx)
:smallbiggrin:

Mushroom Ninja
2010-03-04, 11:20 PM
For Jump:
http://www.jitterbuzz.com/toyfil/springs_01.jpg

JonestheSpy
2010-03-04, 11:25 PM
Books

+2 Knowledge (xxx)

I know that's a joke, but I actually use that one, inspired by the old tomes of knowledge from Chaosium's Runequest and Call of Cthulu - certain rare books can give permanent bonuses to knowledge and other INT-based skills.

sofawall
2010-03-04, 11:27 PM
I believe the traditional ToS UMD item is a Codpiece. No real reason.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-04, 11:44 PM
Our gaming group's got leg springs much like Chell's from Portal; they grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Jump and Tumble checks made to reduce falling damage.

Zaq
2010-03-04, 11:56 PM
The +2 to Hide is a cardboard box.

Take care of your box, and it'll take care of you.

Dr Bwaa
2010-03-05, 12:00 AM
My incantatrix has masterwork glasses of spellcraft :smallcool:

faceroll
2010-03-05, 12:06 AM
If my players can justify why the tool should give them a +2 bonus, they get it. My favorite would have to be the coffee my friend's wizard carried around. +2 concentration for 4 hours after brewing a cuppa.

hiryuu
2010-03-05, 12:17 AM
Books

+2 Knowledge (xxx)

A library has ranks in Knowledge skills; some libraries are great at botany texts (Knowledge (nature) +10 or more) but are sparse on the local clergy (Knowledge (religion) +2 or less), while others are even worse (containing old information or even wrong information, bringing a penalty). Characters in the library with at least 1 rank of the knowledge skill they want to gain information with use the library's modifier instead of their own if it is higher, or if their own is higher, they receive a +2 circumstance bonus to the Knowledge check (even the best sage can find a tidbit or two to jog his memory).

Books are a bit trickier; That copy of "Denizens of Darkness, Being an Introduction to the Varietous Personages of the Lower Planes and More" the party just found may have just the information the party is looking for, or it may just grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Knowledge (the planes) checks. Some books are tricky; they grant a penalty, being so poorly written and researched, for example, Baby's First Graz'zt Summoning and The Dull-Witted Cretin's Guide to the Planes.

Chineselegolas
2010-03-05, 03:11 AM
I like my masterwork concentration tool. A stress ball.

Darkmatter
2010-03-05, 03:12 AM
I started a collection of masterwork tool ideas here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=96872) that might be of interest. Many of them I use in my games (though some of them are a bit of a stretch.)

unre9istered
2010-03-05, 08:36 AM
Some masterwork tools, like the books, shouldn't be usable on a normal role. Like the alchemy lab, doesn't give a bonus unless you spend some time using it to make the check.

Merk
2010-03-05, 09:38 AM
A character I'm playing who has ranks in Profession (Gambler) has a set of masterwork tools that consists of cheating implements, such as weighted dice, two-sided coins, and a deck of 52 jokers.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-05, 11:03 AM
As long as the item is kept readily available (not in a Heward's Handy Haversack or some such), I think the 1 lb. weight per tool is an effective limiting factor. There are 45 standard skills in D&D. Most high INT types are going to be too puny to drag around nearly as many MW tools as they'd like to use.

Greenish
2010-03-05, 11:12 AM
Silk Rope is essentially a masterwork tool for Use Rope, but it's not specifically called such, so could you stack the bonuses for the gamebreaking +4 bonus to Use Rope?

ericgrau
2010-03-05, 11:14 AM
Yet there are listed masterwork items that are priced differently and have a different weight. The way it's worded seems more like a guideline; not every skill may have a masterwork tool. It also seems to be an example of circumstance bonuses in general. e.g., a +2 circumstance bonus to knowledge skills would more likely come from a library after a few hours of research; not any instant portable device. D&D might have a relatively small set of animals for simplicity (and I use that term loosely), but any comprehensive real world writing on any of the knowledges wouldn't fit in a single book. It'd fill shelves. At best you might have a guide book on a specific nich of a knowledge, like "Beasts Commonly Found in Greensville", and you'd still need a few minutes to look something up.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-05, 11:23 AM
e.g., a +2 circumstance bonus to knowledge skills would more likely come from a library after a few hours of research; not any instant portable device.
You're overthinking this. A library is what you want for Gather Information, which takes 1d4+1 hours. Knowledge checks represent whether you can recall something on the spot, and you get only one check. Think more like smelling salts to shake off the cobwebs, with different scents to help steer your brain to associated memories. Something earthy for Knowledge: Dugeoneering, for instance.

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 11:27 AM
Silk Rope is essentially a masterwork tool for Use Rope, but it's not specifically called such, so could you stack the bonuses for the gamebreaking +4 bonus to Use Rope?Depends on what your other MW tool for use rope is I suppose. :smalltongue: Arguably though, having two of the right tools for the job, is probably under the heading of essentially the same source.

A circumstance bonus (or penalty) arises from specific conditional factors impacting the success of the task at hand. Circumstance bonuses stack with all other bonuses, including other circumstance bonuses, unless they arise from essentially the same source.

Greenish
2010-03-05, 11:34 AM
Depends on what your other MW tool for use rope is I suppose. :smalltongue: Arguably though, having two of the right tools for the job, is probably under the heading of essentially the same source.Of course I'd use silk rope and, uh, gnomish rope knotter!

[Edit]:
http://cn1.kaboodle.com/hi/img/2/0/0/bc/2/AAAAAjXEy-4AAAAAALwjRw.jpg

Riffington
2010-03-05, 12:14 PM
You're overthinking this. A library is what you want for Gather Information, which takes 1d4+1 hours.
Only if you're buying drinks for everyone in the library to chat them up.

Ashiel
2010-03-05, 12:24 PM
Last time I checked it was an equipment bonus, not a circumstance. If this has changed, I missed it

I let players in my groups use the RAW interpretation and let them purchase any masterwork tool that they wish for any skill that they wish. We then figure out something that makes it flavorful in some way. So far we've had stuff like the following:

Bracers for your arms and legs to prevent buckling; applies to Tumble.
Circlet of Focus; applies to Concentration.
Goggle Cap; can be applied to Appraise, Search, or both (for 2lbs).
Scabbard or Sheath; +2 to either Iaijutsu focus or Slight of Hand for drawing concealed weapons.
Cloak or Boots; for a +2 to either Hide or Move Silently.
Books Galore; +2 to different knowledges. Assumes character refreshes knowledge with them during downtime so the bonus always applies while the character possesses the books.
Crafter's Tools; portable tools, sometimes including a mini-forge or burners if applicable; we house ruled Alchemist Lab provides a stackable bonus with MW Tools, which helps justify it's stupidly high price-tag.

We generally have MW Tools enhanced as part of a character's gear. Circlet of Concentration might be further enhanced with +skill modifiers or +int bonuses as a Headband of Intellect. Since the +competence bonus from magic stacks with the masterwork bonuses, most of us work on getting our favorite +2 equipment bonuses and then improving them as we get the money to further enhance them (so eventually your padded boots providing a +2 equipment bonus to Move Silently will provide a +2 equipment and a +1 competence and so on).

MW tools are wonderful; and also make for really cool treasure and NPC gear. If a player and I couldn't come up with an item that was obviously useful for a skill, I'd still allow them to buy the MW Tool and call it a "lucky charm" or something that has a Placebo effect. :smallsmile:

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 12:33 PM
For reference

Tool, Masterwork

This well-made item is the perfect tool for the job. It grants a +2 circumstance bonus on a related skill check (if any). Bonuses provided by multiple masterwork items used toward the same skill check do not stack

I have also checked my 3.0 PHB and it says the same thing.

Ashiel
2010-03-05, 02:50 PM
Ah, yes you are correct. I was thinking about the bonus from Antitoxins, Cold Weather clothes, and similar items which provide an equipment bonus. My bad.

Either way, it stacks with the +competence bonus of magic items so all is well. :smallsmile:

Thanks for the correction. :smallredface:

Tyndmyr
2010-03-05, 02:52 PM
Doohicky, thingamabob, and a Watchamacallit.

Proper names are for people that don't work with tons of tools.

ericgrau
2010-03-05, 03:20 PM
I let players in my groups use the RAW interpretation and let them purchase any masterwork tool that they wish for any skill that they wish. We then figure out something that makes it flavorful in some way. So far we've had stuff like the following:

Bracers for your arms and legs to prevent buckling; applies to Tumble.
Circlet of Focus; applies to Concentration.
Goggle Cap; can be applied to Appraise, Search, or both (for 2lbs).
Scabbard or Sheath; +2 to either Iaijutsu focus or Slight of Hand for drawing concealed weapons.
Cloak or Boots; for a +2 to either Hide or Move Silently.
Books Galore; +2 to different knowledges. Assumes character refreshes knowledge with them during downtime so the bonus always applies while the character possesses the books.
Crafter's Tools; portable tools, sometimes including a mini-forge or burners if applicable; we house ruled Alchemist Lab provides a stackable bonus with MW Tools, which helps justify it's stupidly high price-tag.

I'd allow this as RAI, as long as it makes sense (or use RAMS, really). That general section on masterworks tools is there for a reason. You should invent new tools, it's just that not everything may have a tool for it.

Tumble: Such bracers would only prevent injury... and make it harder to bend your arm for other tasks like fighting. What you need is a springboard floor, which isn't exactly portable.
Circlet of Focus: WHAT?
Sleight of Hand: Okay, as long as it's a small concealable weapon up the sleeve or some such place where it could conceivably be drawn as a free action. The sheath could have straps to hold it to the sleeve.
Goggle Cap: There's actually already magnifying glass for this, but it could be feasible on search and appraise checks involving fine detail (including secret doors and traps). You'd probably want to remove the goggles when acting normally, or else I imagine there'd be some kind of penalty to spot and attack rolls. The magnifying glass is 100 gp and I imagine a pair of finely crafted lenses would be even more, maybe 150-200 gp including the headpiece.
Books: Like I said before limited to the topic of the book, takes time to look up, and no book can encompass an entire knowledge skill. A library could hold far more, but may still have limitations.
An alchemist's lab is a MW tool; it's in the same section for this reason. It costs a lot b/c it's a friggin' fully stocked lab. Not everything costs the same as the general purpose guidelines. And I don't care how fancy your bunsen burner is; it's still just a flame.

In general try to think of how well the tool would actually help with the task. If it's something you'd see in an 80's commercial with bright colors all over it, it probably just a gimmick.

If my players can justify why the tool should give them a +2 bonus, they get it. My favorite would have to be the coffee my friend's wizard carried around. +2 concentration for 4 hours after brewing a cuppa.
Exactly what I'm talking about. And smart player.

JaronK
2010-03-05, 03:24 PM
Masterwork Silent Shoes (basically, gum soled shoes) for Move Silently. A spring loaded sheath for a quickrazor for Iajuitsu Focus. A special concealed sheath (actually the same one, the Masterwork price was paid double) for Sleight of Hand checks to conceal the weapon within.

JaronK

Mastikator
2010-03-05, 03:29 PM
Masterwork badass looking sunglasses, +2 circumstance bonus to diplomacy checks.
Infrared Goggles, +2 circumstance to spot, also partial wallhack.

Danin
2010-03-05, 03:37 PM
I like some of the ideas here, but what would some superior master work items look like? How do you improve on a set of thieves tools so much as to grant a +4, +6, +8 or +10 bonus?

As to knowledge skills, I've always wanted to make a wizard who travels with a conveniently indexed device that could store exerts, writings, and even books in a convenient to read format. By traveling to various libraries and copying important facts into it, he would create a repository of information the likes of which the world had never seen before. The creation would be dubbed "William Ivan Klaus Ignus's Encyclopedia of Everything", or simply, Wikipedia.

ericgrau
2010-03-05, 03:41 PM
I like some of the ideas here, but what would some superior master work items look like? How do you improve on a set of thieves tools so much as to grant a +4, +6, +8 or +10 bonus?

I think they'd be similar to superior masterwork weapons, as in they don't exist without rules variants. When it takes a legendary master just to get another +1, people would rather use magic instead. That said, there are a large number of skill boosting magic items. Do note that additional custom items are a major source of abuse (especially UMD boosters), and should be carefully considered before being allowed.

Ashiel
2010-03-05, 04:37 PM
I'd allow this as RAI, as long as it makes sense (or use RAMS, really). That general section on masterworks tools is there for a reason. You should invent new tools, it's just that not everything may have a tool for it.

Tumble: Such bracers would only prevent injury... and make it harder to bend your arm for other tasks like fighting. What you need is a springboard floor, which isn't exactly portable.
Circlet of Focus: WHAT?
Sleight of Hand: Okay, as long as it's a small concealable weapon up the sleeve or some such place where it could conceivably be drawn as a free action. The sheath could have straps to hold it to the sleeve.
Goggle Cap: There's actually already magnifying glass for this, but it could be feasible on search and appraise checks involving fine detail (including secret doors and traps). You'd probably want to remove the goggles when acting normally, or else I imagine there'd be some kind of penalty to spot and attack rolls. The magnifying glass is 100 gp and I imagine a pair of finely crafted lenses would be even more, maybe 150-200 gp including the headpiece.
Books: Like I said before limited to the topic of the book, takes time to look up, and no book can encompass an entire knowledge skill. A library could hold far more, but may still have limitations.
An alchemist's lab is a MW tool; it's in the same section for this reason. It costs a lot b/c it's a friggin' fully stocked lab. Not everything costs the same as the general purpose guidelines. And I don't care how fancy your bunsen burner is; it's still just a flame.

As to the bracers, wearing bracers can help support your wrists and ankles and allow you to push yourself harder without increasing the risk to hurt yourself. In my mind, I don't see much trouble with this having taken a few years of various dance classes and having a sister who's tumbled for years.

Circlet of Focus. It's basically a circlet, tiara, headband, or similar item with a crystal in-bedded along the crown or just above the eye to improve a character's focus of energy - or something like that. It's not quite magic by itself, but it's not quite mundane either; but when you consider alchemy it's not far fetched at all.

Slight of hand. You could also use clothing that's specially made to place objects into and out of, like the kimonos with pockets on the inside of their sleeves. All this extra complexity really isn't needed.

Goggles. I'm surprised at you my friend. Where's your vision? It's a goggle cap with lots and lots of little flipping scopes and what-not. Ever see that gnome Janson in Baldur's Gate II? Or goggles in a lot of fantasy movies or cartoons, where you got the multiple flipping lenses on one eye or something? Why penalize or require them to keep taking them on or off? Just let 'em flip the scope as a free action and get on with it. :smalltongue:

Books. We assume that if you've bought this book, and you're carrying this book around, then you're reading it in your down-time to keep refreshing yourself on the subject the book involves. Thus as long as you have it around you're getting a +2 bonus to relevant knowledge checks because you just recently checked it out. Also makes a fine thing to do while sitting around a campfire.

An alchemist lab is also overpriced. It provides the same bonus that a standard masterwork tool does, but is more restrictive. It's not a balance feature but apparently a matter of flavor. The way we see it, you're paying out the butt for something that doesn't help you very much; so we'd rather see it be worth something. As noted, it was house-ruled to be a greater-than-usual version of a standard masterwork toolset for alchemy.

In general, it just provides a mechanical bonus and gives our characters and NPCs something to bling out in. We can be happy 'cause we can invest some early level cash into something useful, create what that item means to our characters, then move on. None of us care to pay 50gp for a book we cannot use when we'll need it, or pay huge amounts of gold for an alchemist lab that you cannot carry around with you and only provides a mere +2. Same with spyglasses and their extreme 1000gp cost. I'm sure it's for flavor or something, but in a world with wizards and dragons, I really don't see need.

Additionally, as a DM, I see no reason to restrict my players over a mere +2 bonus when they want an item that they're willing to pay masterwork costs for. I like the Java coffee idea, and would totally be cool with that. I would probably lower the cost of said coffee since it's only usable for 4 hours and would eventually need re-filling; 'cause now it's not a masterwork tool...it's a consumable. :smallamused:

Sometimes I think people focus a little too much on the micro-managing aspect of it; when you could just give them the listed benefit and get back to the story at hand. I mean sheesh, what's with everyone and always trying to penalizing someone for something? :smallconfused: