PDA

View Full Version : Bard//Warblade Optimization Help [3.5]

FirebirdFlying
2010-03-04, 11:24 PM
Hi all,

I'm looking for tips on optimizing (especially spells/maneuvers for) a Bard/Sublime Chord//Warblade 15. The idea is to have someone who can a) work well as leader of a group (White Raven ftw), b) be competent, but not necessarily as, alone, and c) happen to know a few terrifying secrets/the means to unlock such about the world.

Here (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=189465) is what I have so far, which is pretty much barely anything except basic class features and some feats. (I'd also like help with Warblade bonus feats, because the list seems - short. And mostly full of random skill-boosting ones.)

My original stats (rolled w/ 2d6+6) were 11, 12, 12, 14, 18, and 18. Human - everyone's, mechanically anyway, human.

No equipment, because she enters the story practically naked and dazed after sleeping for millennia. She's pretty much supposed to be the most powerful single entity in the campaign (no directly interfering gods) until the PCs get to that stage (the game starts out E6 gestalt until such time as they unlock the ability for themselves - and everyone else - to progress beyond 6). Depending on how things turn out, she may either be an antagonist or helpful NPC. Or die.

Note also that this is a stage of me plotting out the campaign/world, and it hasn't actually started yet, so I'm not sure of the optimization levels of my PCs. One of them's new, and the other plays 4e but is new to 3.5 (we might have more. Depending), so I doubt it will be high (then again these are smart people) - I'd also like quick and easy ways to tone the build down besides decreasing stats/HP and fudging die rolls. I mean, I could just swap out for less powerful feats…

Now I'm rambling. That last paragraph's rather unimportant.

TL/DR: Bard/Sublime Chord//Warblade 15, leader-type but singly capable. Help with spells and maneuvers!

EDIT: I'd also like to get rid of that flaw, because it seems - sort of ridiculous. Maybe ditch Melodic Casting, 'cause I might go for Concentration anyway for Diamond Mind.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-05, 12:13 AM
If you have any Sneak Attack users in the group, since you already have White Raven Defense, you may as well also grab Clarion Call for a flat DC 20 Intimidate check to declare an opponent flanked. Check with your GM, but because you are flat declaring them flanked, rather than needing to set up flanking, it arguably works against opponents with Improved Uncanny Dodge.

Also, White Raven Song. Let Bard and Warblade levels stack for Inspiration. Granted, not generally intended in a gestalt game, but hey... if it works...

Also, there's a lot of ways to boost your Inspiration, but I'll let someone else do the comprehensive list

Gametime
2010-03-05, 12:44 AM
Also, White Raven Song. Let Bard and Warblade levels stack for Inspiration. Granted, not generally intended in a gestalt game, but hey... if it works...

Also, there's a lot of ways to boost your Inspiration, but I'll let someone else do the comprehensive list

I believe the usual way to houserule that is to declare that bard and warblade levels don't stack at the same level, but so long as you have one level of either bard or warblade that level advances Inspire Courage.

It would still be a worthwhile investment, both for the swift action activation and to continue advancing it after entering Sublime Chord.

FirebirdFlying
2010-03-05, 06:33 AM
Quick clarification - I am the GM. This lady's an NPC. She's also still up to changing build entirely.

On Song of the White Raven: I'd rule that as Gametime does, ending up with IC as a 15th level bard. Any good White Raven stances?

On boosting IC: So I was looking at two spells, Inspirational Boost and Harmony, and trying to figure out if they're just different versions of each other. Is one strictly better? Harmony gives a +2 to IC (is that absolute?) but IC requires only a swift action.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-05, 01:52 PM
Quick clarification - I am the GM. This lady's an NPC. She's also still up to changing build entirely.

On Song of the White Raven: I'd rule that as Gametime does, ending up with IC as a 15th level bard. Any good White Raven stances?

On boosting IC: So I was looking at two spells, Inspirational Boost and Harmony, and trying to figure out if they're just different versions of each other. Is one strictly better? Harmony gives a +2 to IC (is that absolute?) but IC requires only a swift action.

There's actually quite a lot that can be done...

There's a Mastercrafted instrument (forgot which one) that gives a +1 to IC, a Badge that does something similar... quite a bit, actually.

Also, if the party is melee-heavy, consider suggesting Dragonfire Inspiration. Handfull of d6's onto every melee damage roll can get fun in a hurry.

FirebirdFlying
2010-03-05, 02:03 PM
I know about Badge of Valor, Vest of whatever, etc. She doesn't have equipment, though - picks up an old longsword, maybe, but that's it - so it doesn't factor in.

And she has DFI, unless you're talking about someone else…

Keld Denar
2010-03-05, 02:29 PM
Actually, the swift action part of Song of the White Raven is actually BAD, as you only get one swift action in a round, and you need that swift action to cast Inspirational Boost. Starting a bard song is pretty action intensive, as in the best situation it takes your standard, swift, and immediate actions (swift action on your next turn).

This is one of the downfalls of the Bardblade, is you have to wait until the 3rd round of combat to start using your sweet swift action boosts...

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 02:33 PM
My fave gestalt buff-o-matic ToB version is

Warblade 10/Dragon Lord 10//Marshall 10/Knight Commander 10

Gametime
2010-03-05, 02:35 PM
Actually, the swift action part of Song of the White Raven is actually BAD, as you only get one swift action in a round, and you need that swift action to cast Inspirational Boost. Starting a bard song is pretty action intensive, as in the best situation it takes your standard, swift, and immediate actions (swift action on your next turn).

This is one of the downfalls of the Bardblade, is you have to wait until the 3rd round of combat to start using your sweet swift action boosts...

Which is why you can't really afford to optimize the bard for buffing and fighting. You can focus mainly on fighting and still have a decent Inspire Courage (Song of the Heart, Song of the White Raven, Dragonfire Inspiration, and Words of Creation), or you can go all out on buffing. Trying to mix the two doesn't work very well; you just don't have enough actions.

Draz74
2010-03-05, 02:40 PM
Any good White Raven stances?

My favorite is actually Leading the Charge, the good ol' Level 1 option. Scales nicely. Of course whether it's "meh, ok" or "awesome!" depends largely on how many melee-heavy allies you work with. Also on whether Lion Spirit Totem Barbarian Pounce cheese is included.

Keld Denar
2010-03-05, 03:09 PM
Words of Creation

Yea, I don't really like that one. I don't like anything that imposes RP restrictions on my character, plus the wisdom requirement is rough on a point buy bard. Plus, all DMs I've ever met only apply it to your base IC, rather than the bonus IC gained from SotH, IB, and BoV.

Draz74
2010-03-05, 03:14 PM
Yea, I don't really like that one. I don't like anything that imposes RP restrictions on my character, plus the wisdom requirement is rough on a point buy bard. Plus, all DMs I've ever met only apply it to your base IC, rather than the bonus IC gained from SotH, IB, and BoV.

What Wisdom requirement?

FirebirdFlying
2010-03-05, 03:38 PM
Normally I don't like Words of Creation. In this case, I've refluffed the whole thing - this is far from an exalted character - and I'm not terribly worried about the non-lethals. It's an Int requirement, btw. And I would only apply it to the base, plus any 'your effective bard level is treated a x levels higher' bonuses, and then add the extras on. Bit silly otherwise, methinks.

I'm also not looking much for buffing and fighting in the same battle. Where she has followers, she'll buff, and where she's alone, she'll fight. Buff herself some, probably, but it's less necessary. So I'm not worried as much about lack of actions for those.

Leading the Charge, eh? Seems a bit circumstantial, but for level 1…and I guess most of the more powerful mundane fighters work well with charging. She would have worked mostly with melee fighter-types, anyway - the armies around when she was consisted of melee fighters (including cavalry), a bit of ranged, and the innovative new bard-buffers. (The sort of people who learned high-level magic usually weren't also the sort to enlist in/be enlisted in an army. Maybe a few clerics, but less Clericzilla and more medic and less on the front lines).

Gametime
2010-03-05, 03:54 PM
Even if you only apply WoC to the base (which is how I would rule it, how my DM would rule it, and how I think anyone who isn't playing in a very high-powered game would rule it), it provides a +3 bonus to IC at higher levels. For one feat with only two difficult requirements (alignment and the int of 15, which can be made up with a small int-boosting item), that's pretty amazing.

Most of my Bardblades stop at Song of the Heart, though. Even just giving +4 to attack and damage, or 4d6 extra damage, is pretty awesome as a swift action. Fire it off, then start going nuts with maneuvers.