PDA

View Full Version : ToB questions

Eladrinblade
2010-03-05, 01:39 AM
Can I use a standard action manuever as the attack of a charge?
(Wolf Fang Strike, for instance)

If I make a readied action to attack Fighter B if Fighter A falls, can I use sudden leap beforehand when I do?
(I'm standing on the edge of a fight waiting to see if my ally wins, if he doesn't -falls-, can I sudden leap and attack as part of the same readied action?)

sonofzeal
2010-03-05, 01:43 AM
A Charge is a special full-round action. No standard-action strike can be combined with it, though some involve a charge as part of the strike.

As to Readied Action, I'd say no, you can only ready a Standard Action. Your DM may say differently though, ask them.

Gametime
2010-03-05, 01:44 AM
No, a charge only allows for a normal attack at the end of it. Certain maneuvers involve a charge, but you can't use any standard action during a normal charge.

Also no. Readying an action only gets you a standard. Since swift actions can only be taken on your turn, you can't use that before the readied standard.

Unless I misremember the readying rules, I believe you could ready the swift action to leap, but you wouldn't be able to do much else after that. Otherwise, you're stuck with whatever immediate action movement you can dig up.

Godskook
2010-03-05, 01:44 AM
Can I use a standard action manuever as the attack of a charge?
(Wolf Fang Strike, for instance)

I think not. Some maneuvers specifically allow being used on a charge, but otherwise, no.

If I make a readied action to attack Fighter B if Fighter A falls, can I use sudden leap beforehand when I do?
(I'm standing on the edge of a fight waiting to see if my ally wins, if he doesn't -falls-, can I sudden leap and attack as part of the same readied action?)

You want Delay. Ready can't do that, far as I can tell. Especially since you don't want to 'interrupt' anything.

Eladrinblade
2010-03-05, 01:46 AM
I don't want to delay if my ally falls on the opponents first strike, but I'm too far away to just attack.

Godskook
2010-03-05, 01:55 AM
I don't want to delay if my ally falls on the opponents first strike, but I'm too far away to just attack.

Not to be argumentative, but why not? At best, the opponent has a move + swift action left to do things with. That's normally not sufficient to get away from a sudden leaping charging ToB character. And this would happen immediately after whomever's turn(or action, if not during someone's turn) was happening at the time, so no one else would be able to do much in the way of interrupting your actions.

Eladrinblade
2010-03-05, 02:07 AM
I should have said "in case" instead of "if".

Ok, long story: I'm watching a fight in a dive tavern between a guy who doesn't know I want him to win and a bad guy. I don't want to show my hand unless the guy I want to win starts to lose (when he falls).

If he does fall, I want to stab the other guy in the face before he can kill the guy I want to win, which may mean acting between the bad guys first and second attacks on his turn.

Godskook
2010-03-05, 02:29 AM
So ready an action to throw a beer mug at the guy you don't want to win?

Also, by your description, you might be able to get close enough by just taking a 5' step in your readied action.