PDA

View Full Version : The Secret of NIMH

Amiel
2010-03-05, 05:38 AM
I rediscovered this little gem whilst going through my "treasured memories from childhood" collection. It's still an absolutely amazing movie after all these years. It's nothing at all like those sappy, rainbow-pooping unicorn-sunshine-and-lollipop Disney films; it's dark, creepy and at times exceedingly violent. But it's still so very awesome and magical.

I love the movie, and highly recommend it; but oh crap did it creep and scare me the hell out of me when I was a little kid.

hamishspence
2010-03-05, 05:40 AM
I prefer the book- but the movie was good too.

T-O-E
2010-03-05, 11:20 AM
I loved that movie when I was younger. All the memories have come flooding back...

truemane
2010-03-05, 12:13 PM
One of the first DVD's I purchased. I hadn't seen it in years and years and years. I grew up in a world essentually without VCR's and so when you saw a film and loved it, chances were that you might never see it again.

It is a glorious film. I've watched it with my sons many times.

Nerd-o-rama
2010-03-05, 12:21 PM
Not all Disney movies crapped rainbows, but yes, NIMH is a terrific drama that just happens to star talking mice (and Dom DeLuise, of course).

It hasn't got much to do with the novel, though, which is too bad.

Starscream
2010-03-05, 12:29 PM
I'm an animation junkie, and this is one of my favorites of all time. It creeped the hell out of me as a bratling, but I watched it constantly anyway because it was just so cool looking.

The back-lighting technique they used for the eyes of Nicodemus and the Owl is still one of the best practical effects I have ever seen.

WalkingTarget
2010-03-05, 12:29 PM
I remember liking it as a kid, but only saw it once or twice. Read the book in, like, 4th grade or something and I remember liking it well enough too.

Telonius
2010-03-05, 12:36 PM
Not all Disney movies crapped rainbows,

"The Black Cauldron" comes to mind. Also changed quite a bit from the book, too, but that was one dark, dark movie.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-05, 01:03 PM
"The Black Cauldron" comes to mind. Also changed quite a bit from the book, too, but that was one dark, dark movie.

The Hunckback of Notre-Dame was pretty dark, specially if you consider that the gargoyles were all part of Quasimodo's imagination (and yes, that was the director's opinion)

Mystic Muse
2010-03-05, 03:16 PM
The Hunckback of Notre-Dame was pretty dark, specially if you consider that the gargoyles were all part of Quasimodo's imagination (and yes, that was the director's opinion)

That seems kind of odd since They had an actual effect on the battle in the end.

And yes. The Hunchback of Notre Dame was VERY dark for a Disney movie.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-05, 03:22 PM
That seems kind of odd since They had an actual effect on the battle in the end.

As per the director's opinion, all that they have done was either in Quasimodo's imagination, or Quasimodo has done it himself and thought they did it.

It is really pitiful, if you think about it :smallfrown:

Mystic Muse
2010-03-05, 03:26 PM
As per the director's opinion, all that they have done was either in Quasimodo's imagination, or Quasimodo has done it himself and thought they did it.

It is really pitiful, if you think about it :smallfrown:

as per my opinion the director is crazy.:smalltongue:

JonestheSpy
2010-03-05, 03:29 PM
I really liked Secret of NIMH, except for the deus ex machina ending.

I'd love to see a movie that actually followed the book more - stop action animation a la Fantastic Mr Fox would be awesome, imo.

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-05, 03:37 PM
I plan to rent the thing as soon as I find someone to cuddle while watching it :smallcool:

Anything that has rated both on Nostalgia Critic's Top 11 Underated Animated and Top 20 Favourite Movie is worth a try, I'd say.

raitalin
2010-03-05, 04:52 PM
It's available on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/25523/the-secret-of-nimh)

SolkaTruesilver
2010-03-05, 04:56 PM
It's available on Hulu (http://www.hulu.com/watch/25523/the-secret-of-nimh)

*Kiss* :smallbiggrin:

Weezer
2010-03-05, 05:37 PM
Loved the movie as a kid, I even named my first cat Mrs. Brisby in honor of the movie.