PDA

View Full Version : 10th level spell slots

Kwinza
2010-03-05, 09:13 AM
Hey guys i was wondering, whats the earlyest you guys can get 10th level spell slots? i've had it at 13th before by using kobold super cheese but i was wondering if you guys have heard of anything sillyer

cheers for hopfully a fun chat =]

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 09:16 AM
I think Kobold can get them earliest, as you need epic feats, which a Phaerimm (even though it can get 9ths at 9) wouldn't qualify for. I could be wrong though. I tend to avoid this level of cheese.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-05, 09:19 AM
Hey guys i was wondering, whats the earlyest you guys can get 10th level spell slots? i've had it at 13th before by using kobold super cheese but i was wondering if you guys have heard of anything sillyer

cheers for hopfully a fun chat =]

Level 1, via Pun-Pun.

That aside, yes, Kobolds with epic feat access via Dragonwrought are the best I know of.

Kwinza
2010-03-05, 09:20 AM
Fair enough, im not normaly into it but me and my friend are trying to find the sillyest builds out there, at the moment im wining with the 13th lvl wizard with 2 level 10 slots =]
.... really makes you ask "what were wizards thinking!??!"

Wings of Peace
2010-03-05, 09:21 AM
I could do it at 6th with an Illumian Cleric/Anything with turn undead via Naenhoon + Heighten Spell + Earth Spell + Sanctum Spell + Extra Slot.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-05, 09:23 AM
Non pun-pun, 10. You need ninth level spell slots, which can be obtained via something like 9 levels of ur-priest. You would need to abuse level drain shenanigans to end up with this many levels of ur-priest this early, though.

You'd also need to have access to epic feats(ie, dragon or hit die shenanigans), and have requisitely high skills(massive shenanigans required. See also, psychic reformation).

So, possible, but rather improbable.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-05, 09:26 AM
Non pun-pun, 10. You need ninth level spell slots, which can be obtained via something like 9 levels of ur-priest. You would need to abuse level drain shenanigans to end up with this many levels of ur-priest this early, though.

You'd also need to have access to epic feats(ie, dragon or hit die shenanigans), and have requisitely high skills(massive shenanigans required. See also, psychic reformation).

So, possible, but rather improbable.

You can avoid the level drain shenanigans by using Beholder Mage instead.

Also, Versatile Spellcaster, Sanctum Spell, and Easy Heighten/Earth Spell could help.

So you could do it at level 7 or possibly 6 depending on how you interpret the interaction of Versatile Spellcaster with other dodgy spell level stuff.

EDIT: Actually, you can get it down another level with Metaphysical Spellshaper.

Wings of Peace
2010-03-05, 09:29 AM
Edited my method into first post.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-05, 09:33 AM
Edited my method into first post.

I believe that can be done at level 2. Taint, swearing yourself to an Elder Evil, these things help.

Kaiyanwang
2010-03-05, 09:37 AM
Fair enough, im not normaly into it but me and my friend are trying to find the sillyest builds out there, at the moment im wining with the 13th lvl wizard with 2 level 10 slots =]
.... really makes you ask "what were wizards thinking!??!"

See, there are a lot of things deserving "what were wotc thinking" but these ones involving kobolds need some convoluted cheese and are highly justified IMHO.

Other things are overlooked, but this cheese is not Wotc fault.

Coplantor
2010-03-05, 09:37 AM
I'm curious about the Kobold + Dragonwrought geting epic feats, how does that works?

Douglas
2010-03-05, 09:39 AM
Let's see, you need Dragonwrought Kobold to qualify for epic feats, and you need the ability to cast something that technically counts as a 9th level spell. Heighten Spell + Divine Metamagic should do the trick. How low level can you pack in Dragonwrought, Heighten, DMM, Extra Turning if you don't have enough turn attempts otherwise, and one to spare for Improved Spell Capacity? With flaws and a cleric with the Undeath domain, I think you could pull that off at level 3.

Tyndmyr
2010-03-05, 09:42 AM
You can avoid the level drain shenanigans by using Beholder Mage instead.

Also, Versatile Spellcaster, Sanctum Spell, and Easy Heighten/Earth Spell could help.

So you could do it at level 7 or possibly 6 depending on how you interpret the interaction of Versatile Spellcaster with other dodgy spell level stuff.

EDIT: Actually, you can get it down another level with Metaphysical Spellshaper.

Good point on Sanctum Spell especially. I think feats and skill points would be a limiting factor to go much lower though. I mean, you need what, a minimum of 24 skill points just to qualify for the epic feat, and of course, one feat for the epic feat, plus any prestige class qualifications.

Any of these builds would definitely be pretty crazy though, and Im not surprised that wotc didn't anticipate such unlikely combinations.

Cyclocone
2010-03-05, 09:43 AM
Be a Halruaan Elder and use Circle Magic to heighten your cantrips to 20th level, then use Rary's Arcane Conversion to sub them for meta magic'ed high level spells like Maximized Time Stop.
Doable by level 12 (Wizard 7/Halruaan Elder 5).

Wings of Peace
2010-03-05, 10:18 AM
I believe that can be done at level 2. Taint, swearing yourself to an Elder Evil, these things help.

Taint could do it yes, I just liked the challenge of doing it without. Elder Evil worship would require a higher level caster with 9th access or Pun-Pun levels style shenanigans if you're referring to the use of the Dark Chaos Shuffle.

KellKheraptis
2010-03-05, 11:00 AM
Be a Halruaan Elder and use Circle Magic to heighten your cantrips to 20th level, then use Rary's Arcane Conversion to sub them for meta magic'ed high level spells like Maximized Time Stop.
Doable by level 12 (Wizard 7/Halruaan Elder 5).

This, only doable by level 10 with Red Wizard, in core no less.

grautry
2010-03-05, 12:27 PM
If I remember correctly, a pact for your soul with devils(FCII) can technically grant a spell slot of "any level" so the answer is "as soon as you can make the pact".

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 01:21 PM
ANY level?

I call for Spell level Infinite.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-05, 01:31 PM
I'm curious about the Kobold + Dragonwrought geting epic feats, how does that works?

Dragonwrought makes a kobold a Dragon, and has it advance by wyrmling/juvenile/young adult/adult/old/ancient/wyrm/great wyrm age categories like a True Dragon instead of Adult/Middle aged/Old/Venerable like humanoids.

There's a passage in Draconomicon that says any Dragon that is at least of the Old age category can take epic feats even if they have less than 21HD.

Dragonwrought + automatically Venerable/Great Wyrm = profit. It's cheese, but less useful than people think, mainly because most of the good Epic feats have other prerequisites that take truly stinky cheese to meet - Barghest or Dusk Giant shenanigans are common.

sofawall
2010-03-05, 01:33 PM
ANY level?

And there are ways to use that slot to get lower level spells out of it.

Basically, arbitrarily large number of spells. Old trick, this.

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 01:36 PM
Can you spam wish so much that you get your soul back, and the Spell lvl Infinite to boot?

sofawall
2010-03-05, 01:37 PM
Can you spam wish so much that you get your soul back, and the Spell lvl Infinite to boot?

I don't think even wish can do that.

Wings of Peace
2010-03-05, 01:43 PM
ANY level?

Just to be technical as said by other posters it's a spell of arbitrarily high level. Infinity is not actually a number.

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 01:43 PM
Yeah, I guess getting stuff back from Asmodeus isn't easy...

But I kinda hope you can use wish to steal back your pact, so they can't claim when the time is up.

Wings of Peace
2010-03-05, 01:45 PM
Yeah, I guess getting stuff back from Asmodeus isn't easy...

But I kinda hope you can use wish to steal back your pact, so they can't claim when the time is up.

If your time comes up with a spell of arbitrarily high level then as a caster I think you go to hell anyways. :smalltongue: