PDA

View Full Version : Belkar's secret

Orzel
2010-03-05, 09:16 AM
We know he's fueled by plot and humor. Imagine if he was not. With what we don't know, what could the SSGoW have that fuels his killing? Str and
Con 16? Broken feat combo?

Asta Kask
2010-03-05, 09:19 AM
His love for Mr. Scruffy?

FafnerMorell
2010-03-05, 09:19 AM
Perhaps he really is the sexy, shoeless god of war.

Asta Kask
2010-03-05, 09:21 AM
Perhaps he really is the kwisatz haderach ?

TriForce
2010-03-05, 09:33 AM
We know he's fueled by plot and humor. Imagine if he was not. With what we don't know, what could the SSGoW have that fuels his killing? Str and

a divine rank

fwiffo
2010-03-05, 09:36 AM
Deep seated insecurity fueled by other halflings making fun of him for his love of Broadway show tunes.

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 11:00 AM
I posted some abilities in the last thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7774507) about his supposed SSGoW PrC.

WildPyre
2010-03-05, 11:08 AM
It's simple... he has a loaded d20. :belkar:

Magicyop
2010-03-05, 11:25 AM

That sounds so much like Belkar that it has to be true.

:belkar: : Yes! Another natural 20!
DM: Man, you sure are lucky all the time.

licoot
2010-03-05, 01:36 PM

there's no way that can be wrong

Ancalagon
2010-03-05, 01:57 PM

There are systems where you can take the disadvantage/advantage "Destiny". It basically means your character will meet his destinity. Permanently. Very soon.

And he gets a big bonus on char creation for that. Maybe Belkar has something like that?

(This exists in GURPS and to a lesser degree in the World of Darkness as well)

On the other hand: Who cares? Belkar as "Sexy, Shoeless God of War" is better if he really can back this claim up. And he's going to die anyway. Very soon.

ChowGuy
2010-03-05, 02:30 PM
Well, lets see, dice are sometimes referred to as "bones" and as we know Belkar doesn't have to load his bones. He just threatens them.

:belkar: Now, natural twenty!

:xykon: Yes Sir Mr Bitterleaf sir! (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0450.html)

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 02:53 PM
Well, lets see, dice are sometimes referred to as "bones" and as we know Belkar doesn't have to load his bones. He just threatens them.

That pun was a confirmed critical...

Chainsaw Hobbit
2010-03-05, 10:21 PM
Perhaps he really is the sexy, shoeless god of war.

Of course Belkar is the sexy, shoeless god of war. hes just awesome, some things are better left unexplained. :smallwink:

TheGrimace
2010-03-06, 04:42 AM
also, he mostly kills things that a level 14 (or whatever the current level is supposed to be) character wouldn't have issue with.

yay! I killed a ton of CR 1/2
(almost literally)

edit: maybe literally

Bothi
2010-03-06, 07:41 AM
A belkar without violence is like a blue and red zebra... IT WONT HAPPEN

Goonthegoof
2010-03-06, 08:41 AM
He tends to run straight at people and attack them a lot, has levels in barbarian and we keep mistaking him jumping and stabbing for two-weapon pounce. Perhaps the barbarian was spirit lion totem and he's been abusing leap attack/shock trooper and nobody noticed?

Wolfskin75
2010-03-26, 12:44 PM
I am new here. and I just finish a week long stint of reading OOTS :smallwink: and maybe I missed it:smallbiggrin: ... is Belkar Chaotic evil? or Chaotic Neutral ?

Asta Kask
2010-03-26, 12:47 PM
He is very, very, very Chaotic Evil.

Oh, and thread necromancy (posting threads more than a page old) is frowned upon by the mighty Roland. ALL HAIL ROLAND!!!

Wolfskin75
2010-03-26, 01:26 PM
OH. I really like him... Him and Elan get me laughing the most. Damn... :smallfrown:

Rae Artemi
2010-03-26, 01:34 PM

Oh, and thread necromancy (posting threads more than a page old) is frowned upon by the mighty Roland. ALL HAIL ROLAND!!!

Actually it's three weeks and on page three, so it wasn't necromancy yet.

Asta Kask
2010-03-26, 01:40 PM
Actually it's three weeks and on page three, so it wasn't necromancy yet.

Ok. I withdraw my objections.

Zherog
2010-03-26, 01:41 PM
Well, actually, it's six weeks. But who's counting? ;) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/announcement.php?a=1)

Thread Necromancy
Bringing a thread back from “the dead.” If a thread has fallen to page three and hasn’t been posted in for a month and a half, don’t post to it. Start a new topic if you want to discuss the subject.

Herald Alberich
2010-03-26, 03:44 PM
OH. I really like him... Him and Elan get me laughing the most. Damn... :smallfrown:

Oh, he's certainly funny and likable - as a character. As a person, he's a horrible, loathsome little being.

Keep those distinctions in mind and there's no problem enjoying his antics.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-26, 03:49 PM
He mixes and matches 2nd edition, 3.0, 3.5, Pathfinder, and 4.0 rules as would most benefit him?

Asta Kask
2010-03-26, 03:53 PM
I think he's played by the DM's S.O. Ring of DM Control is by far the most powerful artifact in the game.

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-26, 11:45 PM
I am new here. and I just finish a week long stint of reading OOTS :smallwink: and maybe I missed it:smallbiggrin: ... is Belkar Chaotic evil? or Chaotic Neutral ?
...Just in case you don't want to take our word for it (and, unfortunatley, there have been more than a few who don't :smallwink:), here's Belkar's own take on the matter (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0610.html). (Page 2, panel 4.)

Kranden
2010-03-27, 03:36 AM

He is very chaotic evil, but he is also pretending to be chaotic neutral so his allies will tolerate him and wont ditch him.

Ancalagon
2010-03-27, 05:59 AM
He is very chaotic evil, but he is also pretending to be chaotic neutral so his allies will tolerate him and wont ditch him.

... whose allies don't believe his change for a second. Roy and Haley have it in-comic confirmed, Elan might not have realised Belkar was evil in the first place and for the others... I doubt they believe it as well...

Kish
2010-03-27, 07:47 AM
Elan might not have realised Belkar was evil in the first place
Elan is the one who wanted to leave Belkar in Shojo's prison, remember?

Ancalagon
2010-03-27, 08:08 AM
Ah, good point. So I change it to: "Even Elan does not buy that play".

TheWerdna
2010-03-27, 09:27 AM
Ah, good point. So I change it to: "Even Elan does not buy that play".

ahhhhh the pun, IT BURNS!!!

Debatra
2010-03-28, 01:02 PM

Too bad he forgets to use it (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0003.html) all the time. :smallbiggrin:

zimmerwald1915
2010-03-28, 01:57 PM
... whose allies don't believe his change for a second. Roy and Haley have it in-comic confirmed, Elan might not have realised Belkar was evil in the first place and for the others... I doubt they believe it as well...
He also welcomes Darth V to "the deep end of the alignment pool" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0645.html), implying that he is himself a resident. And then Ganonron and Jephton confirm it for V.

Ancalagon
2010-03-28, 05:09 PM
He also welcomes Darth V to "the deep end of the alignment pool" (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0645.html), implying that he is himself a resident. And then Ganonron and Jephton confirm it for V.

Sure, but what does that have to do with the current topic? I doubt anyone doubts Belkar is aware of his own evilness...

Liwen
2010-03-30, 09:58 AM
He has favored enemy : everything.

zimmerwald1915
2010-03-30, 11:22 AM
Sure, but what does that have to do with the current topic? I doubt anyone doubts Belkar is aware of his own evilness...
Just completing the list of Oots members who don't buy Belkar's nonsense :smallbiggrin:

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-30, 12:07 PM
My random theory as to what fuels Belkar:

Belkar is a halfling prince! yet he doesn’t want to be, years ago his father (the king) forced him through vigorous training and studying to become a king, one day, belkar had enough, in a fit of rage brought on by his father, Belkar picked up a nearby letter-opener, and killed his father. This had unforeseen consequences however, as the halfling kingdom praised him as the new king!

so Belkar continued to kill, trying to get himself removed from the throne, eventually he simply ran away to kill more things, ever in a quest for his removal from the throne.

lucasliso
2010-03-30, 12:13 PM
Is Mr. Scruffy supposed to be Belkar's animal follower? Or is just following him because of animal empathy? (You know, him being a ranger and all that.)

Herald Alberich
2010-03-30, 06:17 PM
my random theory as to what fuels belkaqr:

Belkar is a halfling prince! yet he dosent want to be, years ago his father (the king) forced him through vigorus training and studying to become a king, one day, belkar had enough, in a fit of rage brought on by his father, Belkar picked up a narbuy letter-opener, and killed hios father. this had unforseen consiquences however, as the halfling kingdom praised him as the new king!

so Belkar continued to kill, trying to get himself removed from the throne, eventually he simply ran away to kill more things,ever in a quest for his removal from the throne.

If Belkar was a king, he'd have had all of his subjects kill each other (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0533.html) by now. On the other hand, if he is nobility of some kind, that would go a ways toward explaining why he thinks normal rules don't apply to him.

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-30, 09:23 PM
If Belkar was a king, he'd have had all of his subjects kill each other (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0533.html) by now.

Its either a giant ruse, or he only realised the true potential of being in power after he exiled himself from his kingdom.

Dracons
2010-04-05, 09:26 PM
A belkar without violence is like a blue and red zebra... IT WONT HAPPEN

You haven't played Breath of Fire 3 then.

Imgran
2010-04-05, 09:30 PM
That sounds so much like Belkar that it has to be true.

:belkar: : Yes! Another natural 20!
DM: Man, you sure are lucky all the time.

No, you don't want all natural 20's. That's the highest possible roll and getting it all the time is highly suspicious. No one would let you get away with that.

You want a die weighted in favor of 18's. 18 is low enough to fail sometimes and as long as you fail at least sometimes you won't alert too much suspicion.

what?

Jack of Spades
2010-04-05, 09:52 PM
Maybe the actual god of war has also foreseen Belkar's death and is letting the little fella rack up the badass points before he kicks it?

talkamancer
2010-04-06, 08:42 AM
Maybe the actual god of war has also foreseen Belkar's death and is letting the little fella rack up the badass points before he kicks it?

Does this mythical being have shoes ?

npc revolution
2010-04-07, 03:19 PM
Does this mythical being have shoes ?

he used to, but then he saw Belkar and thought it was a good look.

multilis
2010-04-07, 05:00 PM
Seeing that Belkar is prophesied to perma-die *very* soon, and some of party is under attack now, we might be getting some Belkar insights in next few comics.

doodthedud
2010-04-07, 05:05 PM

A day? That seems kinda.....strict....

Anyways, dice are sometimes called bones because they were often made from bones.

Also, I'm gonna go with the loaded dice theory.

Bothi
2010-04-30, 08:46 PM
Goonthegoof has one of the best signatures I've seen in a LONG time! Cyber high-five to you!

RMcMurtry
2010-04-30, 10:50 PM
Is Mr. Scruffy supposed to be Belkar's animal follower? Or is just following him because of animal empathy? (You know, him being a ranger and all that.)

Don't know. He could be an animal companion (rangers get those, but Belkar was never shown with one previously). Belkar may simply have adopted him in the ruins of Azure City. Belkar was prophesied to save Hinjo's life twice, so the cat may just stick around until that's completed.

Bothi
2010-04-30, 11:40 PM
Don't know. He could be an animal companion (rangers get those, but Belkar was never shown with one previously). Belkar may simply have adopted him in the ruins of Azure City. Belkar was prophesied to save Hinjo's life twice, so the cat may just stick around until that's completed.

No, they stay together because belkar belives, and i quote "Mr.scruffy is a cold blooded carnivore!" As hard as it may be to belive, belkar has a soft spot for him. Nothing complicated.

Bavarian itP
2010-05-01, 12:35 AM
Elan is the one who wanted to leave Belkar in Shojo's prison, remember?

No. No, I don't. I remember that Elan overjoyed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html) when Belkar was left out of Shojo's prison.

But it's beside the point anyway, because that was before Belkar began faking his alignment.

RMcMurtry
2010-05-01, 01:11 AM
No, they stay together because belkar belives, and i quote "Mr.scruffy is a cold blooded carnivore!" As hard as it may be to belive, belkar has a soft spot for him. Nothing complicated.

Which is about on the level of "Belkar adopted a cat".

Asta Kask
2010-05-01, 02:47 AM
A day? That seems kinda.....strict....

Read the entire first page. It's actually six weeks...

Kish
2010-05-01, 06:27 AM
No. No, I don't. I remember that Elan overjoyed (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0294.html) when Belkar was left out of Shojo's prison.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0263.html Check the seventh panel.

But it's beside the point anyway, because that was before Belkar began faking his alignment.
...which he's done well enough to fool exactly one person, counting himself.

ThePhantasm
2010-05-02, 05:11 PM

You might want to take a look at Elan's reaction to the fact that he is leaving Haley behind in Azure city with Belkar....

Shatteredtower
2010-05-02, 07:02 PM
When I saw the title of the thread, I assumed it was about Belkar applying his culinary knowledge to create a line of edible lingerie.

On the subject of character build, all we know is that he's the only one taking an xp penalty for multi-classing by 3rd Ed rules. Nice of him to give the others a chance to catch up.

Anias
2010-05-03, 12:40 PM

Gah!
Look at http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0610.html

To quote Belkar, "I'm chaotic evil!"

He knows exactly what he is, and he likes it.

Haven
2010-05-03, 01:27 PM
Gah!
Look at http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0610.html

To quote Belkar, "I'm chaotic evil!"

He knows exactly what he is, and he likes it.

The Giant once said that he'd still get alignment debate threads on Belkar if he had him say "I'm Chaotic Evil!", eat a puppy, and then wink at the audience. So this is no surprise.

Shale
2010-05-03, 01:34 PM
" I doubt anyone doubts Belkar is aware of his alignment" reduces to "Belkar is aware of his alignment." There's no argument here, people.

MonkeyBusiness
2010-05-09, 10:15 PM
Hmm. Maybe he's pregnant. Permanently. That would drive anyone over the edge.

We know he's fueled by plot and humor. Imagine if he was not. With what we don't know, what could the SSGoW have that fuels his killing? Str and Con 16? Broken feat combo?

MBiz