PDA

View Full Version : Up-and-coming minority people

PersonMan
2010-03-05, 10:15 AM
In one of my classes, we're doing a project about an up-and-coming minority person who is yet to do anything big, but soon will. They need to do more than have a foundation or the like, they need to do things for the community. They must be active and putting quite a bit of effort into their actions.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 11:51 AM
Oh, this sounds like a load of trouble just waiting to happen. Ask your teacher if s/he understands irony and political correctness.

thubby
2010-03-05, 01:21 PM
i don't think we can discuss this on these forums...

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-05, 01:28 PM
i don't think we can discuss this on these forums...

Yeah, I think so. The subject is on a wobbly bridge about an inch wide. And there's lava below. And dragons.

And Roland is wat--I will go back to my fun.

Thajocoth
2010-03-05, 01:28 PM
Wouldn't you need to be able to see the future to know that somebody's going to do, well, anything?

snoopy13a
2010-03-05, 02:29 PM
Just generally,

How are you supposed to know who is upcoming if they haven't become famous yet? :smalltongue:

Seriously though, magazines such as Time and Newsweek often put together lists of "future leaders". You could possibly identify someone from one of those issues. Either that, or pick a prominent member of your local community and say that they'll get more recognition for their efforts in the future.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 04:27 PM
Just generally,

How are you supposed to know who is upcoming if they haven't become famous yet? :smalltongue:

I'm not thinking logic has much to do with this assignment's choices.

Also relevant, 'minority' really is a relative term. Caucasians are typically thought of as being the majority race in the US, but worldwide not so much. Replace this assignment with an essay about how patronizing and simpleminded 'pick an up-and-coming minority' is for an assignment.

raitalin
2010-03-05, 04:49 PM
I suggest you treat it as a creative writing assignment and just make someone up.

CollinPhillips
2010-03-05, 04:52 PM
I suggest you treat it as a creative writing assignment and just make someone up.

Oh! Double bonus points if your main protagonist is a half-elf or some other D&D race!

pendell
2010-03-05, 05:03 PM
A more serious answer would be to look up the web pages of organizations devoted to minority advancement, such as the NAACP. Another thing would be a google search for people with perfect SATs, National Merit Scholarships, and so on.

I see this as more of an advocacy piece than true research. The objective is to find an individual and make a persuasive case that they are an 'up-and-coming' person. Some possibilities include:

-- someone who's made an invention.
-- someone who is president of the class (if this is a high school, you can just profile your class president -- if he/she's not a 'minority', then find an officer (vp/treasurer/etc) who is. If there isn't one this year, try one from the preceding years.
-- someone who has written their own game.
-- someone who is famous for ANY reason. Perhaps a Hollywood child actor.

Find a person. Explain *why* this person is up-and-coming. Provide supporting evidence that this is so. It's like a legal brief.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

PersonMan
2010-03-05, 05:49 PM
I'm not thinking logic has much to do with this assignment's choices.

Also relevant, 'minority' really is a relative term. Caucasians are typically thought of as being the majority race in the US, but worldwide not so much. Replace this assignment with an essay about how patronizing and simpleminded 'pick an up-and-coming minority' is for an assignment.

I know. However, this is a sort of late assignment for Black History Month.

Unfortunately, I must make a powerpoint presentation, complete with pictures. How will I find images for a 'patronizing and simpleminded...assignment'?

Solaris
2010-03-05, 07:37 PM

Unfortunately, I must make a powerpoint presentation, complete with pictures. How will I find images for a 'patronizing and simpleminded...assignment'?

Yeah, I figured. I have many things to say about that kind of thinking, few of which I can on this board.

Same way you'd find 'em for one that wasn't pointing out to the teacher how patronizing and simpleminded the assignment is. Personally, I'd refuse to do it - but my grades were always strong enough that I could get away with it. You might not be in such a position.

rayne_dragon
2010-03-05, 08:35 PM

Use pictures of well-known racist groups. If you're going to do something like that, you may as well go all out. Bonus points for including quotes or audio/movie clips.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 09:31 PM
Use pictures of well-known racist groups. If you're going to do something like that, you may as well go all out. Bonus points for including quotes or audio/movie clips.

Hmm, there's an idea. Explain chauvinism in a non-gender context to the teacher.

deuxhero
2010-03-05, 10:32 PM
Males are 49% of the population (Females are 51%, something about longer lifespans and not being sent to get shot at), thus not the majority, thus the minority. Abuse the weak wording for great justice!

Solaris
2010-03-06, 12:52 AM
Males are 49% of the population (Females are 51%, something about longer lifespans and not being sent to get shot at), thus not the majority, thus the minority. Abuse the weak wording for great justice!

/thread. Your teacher's head exploding must be caught on video.

PersonMan
2010-03-06, 08:25 PM
/thread. Your teacher's head exploding must be caught on video.

Sorry, but I think that a grading sheet covered in blood and brain fluids will be seen as a low grade...

My grade in that class is good, but I'm in a position that I need as many good grades as possible, due to some mistakes recently. As an added bonus, this class doesn't get much done, as it's pretty much just extra(it's extra help for most people, but we don't need any, so we do....projects!)this assignment is going to be...I'm not sure, but around 50% of my grade in that class for this semester...

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-06, 11:37 PM
"Minority person"? Every individual is a minority of one, as I believe Rand pointed out.

Picking someone based on what people are going to do in the future seems like it might be difficult. In the event that you're not prescient, I guess you have to guess.

Temotei
2010-03-07, 12:13 AM
Oh! Double bonus points if your main protagonist is a half-elf or some other D&D race!

Like a human?

JonestheSpy
2010-03-07, 12:27 AM
Here's some actual advice - try checking out the alternative/niche newspapers in your community. Many towns have local publications that are created by and about Latinos, African Americans, Asians, etc, and they'll often profile members of their community that are accomplishing things that don't make the mainstream news.

Faulty
2010-03-07, 12:33 AM
"Minority person"? Every individual is a minority of one, as I believe Rand pointed out.

Hurr hurr I see what Rand did there.

Anyway, I suggest looking through Racialicious (http://www.racialicious.com/). Guess what the blog is about. :smallwink:

Joran
2010-03-07, 05:08 PM
Hmm... I'll actually dive in here.

In the field of video game development, you could do someone like Jenova Chen. He's "up and coming" in that he's not really too well-known outside of video game circles. For a powerpoint presentation, you could post up pictures of fl0w and fl0wer as well as some interesting quotes he has about gaming.

Outside of that, you could find a rising star in television or the movies. Pick someone off of Disney or a smaller budget movie and forecast out into the future. I'd say someone like Grant Imahara, but he's forty and may have hit his peak.

Sports are always pretty easy. Someone like Michelle Wie or Ndamukong Suh would work.

Personally, since I find his ideas fascinating, I'd vote for Jenova Chen.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 05:22 PM

In the field of video game development, you could do someone like Jenova Chen. He's "up and coming" in that he's not really too well-known outside of video game circles. For a powerpoint presentation, you could post up pictures of fl0w and fl0wer as well as some interesting quotes he has about gaming.

Outside of that, you could find a rising star in television or the movies. Pick someone off of Disney or a smaller budget movie and forecast out into the future. I'd say someone like Grant Imahara, but he's forty and may have hit his peak.

Sports are always pretty easy. Someone like Michelle Wie or Ndamukong Suh would work.

Oh, sure, go ahead and provide useful advice. What kind of fun is that?
... I still think an exploded head gets you an A.

Joran
2010-03-07, 05:37 PM
Oh, sure, go ahead and provide useful advice. What kind of fun is that?
... I still think an exploded head gets you an A.

Reminds me of the Starcraft class at Berkley. Final grade is based on a paper that contributes to the Starcraft community. Alternatively, you can challenge the professor to a game of Starcraft; if you beat him you pass. However, he was one of the top four or five players in the U.S., so I think everyone opted for the paper.

P.S. Exploded head should be worth an A. Although, I think the school board tends to frown on teacher deaths.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 05:41 PM
Reminds me of the Starcraft class at Berkley. Final grade is based on a paper that contributes to the Starcraft community. Alternatively, you can challenge the professor to a game of Starcraft; if you beat him you pass. However, he was one of the top four or five players in the U.S., so I think everyone opted for the paper.

P.S. Exploded head should be worth an A. Although, I think the school board tends to frown on teacher deaths.

People payed money for a class on Starcraft? Enough people to have a professor teach the class? Holy crap on a crutch.

... Then you write more brain-blowing papers.

Riffington
2010-03-07, 05:47 PM

Umm, usually when teachers say "minority", they mean "underprivileged minority". Suh is the only one of those who count.

Cory Booker is your man. He is awesome and (unless your teacher thinks he's already too accomplished) should count. My guess is you'll all have heard of him in a decade.

LCR
2010-03-07, 05:48 PM

Just what I was about to suggest. Take her assignment and find the most ridiculous way possible to fulfill the requirements.
And I really like the idea how a white man succeeds against all odds to one day become President of the United States. Fills my eyes with tears, it does.
Or write about the young man from your school who fulfills his lifelong dream, becomes a member of the school board and gets a certain teacher fired for stupid and offensive assignments.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 06:02 PM
Umm, usually when teachers say "minority", they mean "underprivileged minority". Suh is the only one of those who count.

Yep, but the teacher only said "minority". Ergo, we're encouraging PersonMan to get passive aggressive revenge for an honestly offensive and grossly patronizing assignment.

Joran
2010-03-07, 06:28 PM

Ruh roh, now we're getting into political grounds ;) Asians are very much a "minority" though in the United States; we only make up 3-5% of the United States population. We even have our own history month like the Blacks!

People payed money for a class on Starcraft? Enough people to have a professor teach the class? Holy crap on a crutch.

... Then you write more brain-blowing papers.

http://www.sirlin.net/blog/2009/1/30/uc-berkeley-starcraft-class-week-1.html

Indeed, although it was taught by a student I believe.

PersonMan
2010-03-09, 09:39 AM
Yep, but the teacher only said "minority". Ergo, we're encouraging PersonMan to get passive aggressive revenge for an honestly offensive and grossly patronizing assignment.

This is wonderful.

Can I sig it?

Also, we've found someone for the assignment. Thanks, everyone.

Just what I was about to suggest. Take her assignment and find the most ridiculous way possible to fulfill the requirements.
And I really like the idea how a white man succeeds against all odds to one day become President of the United States. Fills my eyes with tears, it does.
Or write about the young man from your school who fulfills his lifelong dream, becomes a member of the school board and gets a certain teacher fired for stupid and offensive assignments.

This, too, must be assimilated into my Star Treck references signature. However, my teacher is male.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-09, 09:48 AM
Does this have to be a real person? And if so, how are you just supposed to 'find' an up and comer based on skin tone?

Whole thing sounds like a really dumb assignment. Now, if we can make one up...

Go for a native american, you like 'never' hear about any of them. Frankly if you're going to have black history month you should have a month for the people that were, oh, I don't know, here before?

They've had to put up with more crap than any other peoples in this country, so wonder why they are so infrequently brought up short of in conjunction with sparkly bloodsuckers or new agers with armpit hair.

Solaris
2010-03-09, 12:01 PM
This is wonderful.

Can I sig it?

Also, we've found someone for the assignment. Thanks, everyone.

Go for it.

Who'd you pick?

faerwain
2010-03-09, 12:37 PM
Does this have to be a real person? And if so, how are you just supposed to 'find' an up and comer based on skin tone?

Whole thing sounds like a really dumb assignment. Now, if we can make one up...

Go for a native american, you like 'never' hear about any of them. (snip)

Too overdone, at least by the hairy-armpiters. If you take this road, why not go for Inuit?

Do you actually have to stay in U.S. borders? If not, the possibilities for loophole exploitation get better and better...

EDIT: Ah, haven't seen that you seem to have chosen.

PersonMan
2010-03-10, 06:11 AM
Go for it.

Who'd you pick?

Thanks.

We'll be using Jenova Chen.

Amiel
2010-03-10, 06:14 AM
We demand a tie-in with that Final Fantasy game :smallwink: