PDA

View Full Version : How long has Thanh been lefthanded?

Imgran
2010-03-05, 10:17 AM
Am I just noticing this now or has Thanh been southpaw for more than just the current strip (#705)?

I guess I noticed mostly because my namesake and favorite character ever was lefthanded and my best friend is a southpaw.

Historically, a lefthanded man had a few advantages, especially in a duel against an overtrained fighter who's used to confronting ordinary righthanded fighters, but had the drawback, at least in Europe, of lefthandedness somehow being associated with character flaws. The word "sinister," as well as the word "gauche," are both references to the left hand, and we all know that a lefthanded compliment is not necessarily a good thing. The Biblical reference to the wicked being at God's left hand didn't help either.

If these lefthanded tropes are common in Azure City, it might explain why Thanh was a glorified messenger tather than being trusted as a warrior -- and would make an interesting commentary on Thanh leading the remnants of Azure city in the most "lefthanded" period of its history.

Shale
2010-03-05, 10:21 AM
Back in the storeroom attack, when Thanh carried his sword in one hand, it was always his left. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html)

Imgran
2010-03-05, 10:24 AM
Actually in panel 4 he's carrying it in his right hand. Also in the final 2 panels.

FabuVinny
2010-03-05, 10:25 AM
Other than the third panel in that strip, his default hand to hold the sword in that section is his right hand. (It's in his right hand when he runs off and uses his right to reach for it again after being hit.) In combat, he weilds the sword with both hands.

Edit: It's also in his left hand when Haley hits him out of Tsukiko's control. For everything else, he either holds it with his right hand or both hands.

Imgran
2010-03-05, 10:26 AM
Is Miko still the only one we've seen in the strip who wields an Azure City katana in one hand?

jidasfire
2010-03-05, 10:42 AM
Traditionally, it's unheard of to wield a katana left-handed. Asians were less tolerant of left-handedness than even Westerners. Since it was a two-handed weapon, the right hand was always at the top of the hilt, while the left was at the bottom. Still, it looks like Thanh does wield left-handed at least some of the time. As a lefty myself, I think that's pretty cool.

Cvitnef
2010-03-05, 10:47 AM
Is Miko still the only one we've seen in the strip who wields an Azure City katana in one hand?

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0472.html

No.
Also some of this guys:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0459.html

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-05, 11:41 AM
Traditionally, it's unheard of to wield a katana left-handed. Asians were less tolerant of left-handedness than even Westerners. Since it was a two-handed weapon, the right hand was always at the top of the hilt, while the left was at the bottom. Still, it looks like Thanh does wield left-handed at least some of the time. As a lefty myself, I think that's pretty cool.

He could always be one of those nuts thats right handed but bats lefty (like me)

It makes it hard to weild a bastard sword or katana, but when i took a semester of tennis it gave me a hell of a backhand.

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0516.html left hand on top

and what is this japan east you speak of?

Darakonis
2010-03-05, 12:33 PM
Ambidexterity.

Peace,
-Darakonis

El Llamita
2010-03-05, 12:44 PM
I think that the holding of the swords works just like Haley's strand of hair. It depends of the direction the character is facing. Look at the elf from Team Peregrine in the last strip. When he is going to pick up the mouse, he is a lefty. But then, when he is showing it to Thanh he becomes right-handed.
More to my point, imagine the elf holding the sword in one hand and the mouse in the other trying to swap them for the next panel. It just highly impractical.

What I'm trying to say is that I recon it is an art thing made that way to suit perspective.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-05, 12:51 PM
Strictly speaking, the rules made everyone ambidextrous. Any hand can be the main hand, the other will be the offhand. You can even decide, as your turn starts, to switch main hands.

Hurkyl
2010-03-05, 01:59 PM
"Right-handed" does not mean "does absolutely everything with the right hand". While some right-handers are practically helpless with their left hand, others can be reasonably proficient.

e.g. I'm very clearly right-handed, but I can do most tasks left-handed, and there are a few oddball things I'm more proficient at left-handed.

Incidentally, note that the one time in that scene where Thanh holds his blade in his left hand is when he is actively using his right hand to gesture at Belkar -- exactly what you would expect from a righty! (Or about to use his right hand -- as in when Haley hit him)

Herald Alberich
2010-03-05, 02:14 PM
and we all know that a lefthanded compliment is not necessarily a good thing.

Never heard of that expression. You mean a backhanded compliment? Rather a different implication there.

Strictly speaking, the rules made everyone ambidextrous. Any hand can be the main hand, the other will be the offhand. You can even decide, as your turn starts, to switch main hands.

Probably another facet of the "the average PC is way more awesome than the average commoner" trait. All adventurers are ambidextrous by default, because it's cooler that way.

Roland Itiative
2010-03-05, 02:15 PM

There are no rules for tummy aches, after all:smallwink:

Snake-Aes
2010-03-05, 02:18 PM
There are no rules for tummy aches, after all:smallwink:

You should live in my campaign world. Here we have a drink called Hydra Blood. It's hydra blood distilled and left to ferment with a certain fungus in oak barrels for a while. Both the number of heads the hydra had and the time it fermented influence it's taste and alcoholic levels. More heads = more diluted. Fermenting for up to 12 years is what's considered non-fatal for consumption. 12.1 Hydra Blood = dwarves rolling fortitude saves after the first shot.

(failing the fortitude save renders you unconscious for 2d6 days)

Asta Kask
2010-03-05, 02:23 PM
Since he was born?

Snake-Aes
2010-03-05, 02:35 PM
Since he was born?

Studies are unsure of WHEN such definition as handedness is consolidated.
To this day some people still don't realize that lefthandedness is just the way someone is born(or learned) and force righthandedness. Some kindergarden teachers are just weird and those things spoil statistics.

Asta Kask
2010-03-05, 02:53 PM
Studies are unsure of WHEN such definition as handedness is consolidated.
To this day some people still don't realize that lefthandedness is just the way someone is born(or learned) and force righthandedness. Some kindergarden teachers are just weird and those things spoil statistics.

Yeah, my mother was born left-handed and forced to learn to do things with the right hand by her teachers. They tied her left hand to the pupil's desk when doing writing practice... so she writes with her right hand but does most other things with her left.

ThePhantasm
2010-03-07, 12:42 AM
Methinks Amber and Dexter had a little kid named Rus. Therein lies your answer.

Petrocorus
2010-03-07, 02:19 AM
Yeah, my mother was born left-handed and forced to learn to do things with the right hand by her teachers. They tied her left hand to the pupil's desk when doing writing practice... so she writes with her right hand but does most other things with her left.

This is the exact story of my aunt. Back in the days, that kind of thing was not uncommon.
In my aunt's case, it was more specific to the catholic school she went to.

Zeful
2010-03-07, 02:29 AM

My mom went through the same thing as well, then there was a fire drill. She was left tied to her seat. Needless to say the practice stopped.