PDA

View Full Version : Good 0LA races with a bonus to charisma <3.5>

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 12:48 PM
I can only think of 2 off the top of my head. Note: This is for a Dread Necromancer/Pale Master/Blood Magus build. No Kobold cheese. I'm lactose intolerant. ;P

Espionage Humans from D20 Modern: Human Qualities plus a +2 Cha, -2 Wis
Dragonborn (Heart or Mind) Hellbred (Spirit): +2 Cha, -2 Dex, telepathy, and either a breath weapon or immunities.

any others, preferably something better than Dragonborn Hellbred ;D l8r yall

The Glyphstone
2010-03-05, 12:50 PM
Spellscales from Races of the Dragon. -2 Con, +2 Cha, some odd racial abilitiesa bout blood meditation.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 12:51 PM
Spellscales from Races of the Dragon. -2 Con, +2 Cha, some odd racial abilitiesa bout blood meditation.

Okay...So its now Spellscale vs Espionage Human

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 12:56 PM
Lesser Aasimar.

SartheKobold
2010-03-05, 01:00 PM
I keep hearing people suggest Lesser Planetouched, but I can't for the life of me find it in any of my books...

sofawall
2010-03-05, 01:01 PM
Players Guide to Faerun.

AbyssKnight
2010-03-05, 01:02 PM
Lesser Planetouched should be in Races of Faerun.

Star elves from Unapproachable East.

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 01:05 PM
Even in PGtF, it's pretty easy to miss. (I hunted for it for a while too, and a through search was needed). It pretty much a paragraph that says Lesser Planetouched are Planetouched, except no LA, and not outsider. Not standard formatting for races.

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 01:14 PM
Yes, Lesser Aasimar are exactly like regular ones except 0 LA and Planetouched instead of Outsiders. For +2 Wis+Cha with no penalty that's a bargain.

Do they keep the SLAs? I forget.

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 01:16 PM
Yes, Lesser Aasimar are exactly like regular ones except 0 LA and Planetouched instead of Outsiders. For +2 Wis+Cha with no penalty that's a bargain.

Do they keep the SLAs? I forget.They keep the SLAs but lose Darkvision and proficiencies.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 01:46 PM
nice, minus it makes no sense why an Aasamir, even a lesser one, would become a Dread necromancer

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 01:47 PM
nice, minus it makes no sense why an Aasamir, even a lesser one, would become a Dread necromancerMaybe they had a traumatic childhood.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-05, 01:47 PM
He's 'lesser' because he wasn't as pure as a true aasimar would be, and thus there was a flaw in his human soul that left him vulnerable to corruption by the dark arts, driving him into the blackest lore of necromancy in a futile search to find the immortality that his diluted, non-outsider blood had denied him.

How's that?

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 01:49 PM
He's 'lesser' because he wasn't as pure as a true aasimar would be, and thus there was a flaw in his human soul that left him vulnerable to corruption by the dark arts, driving him into the blackest lore of necromancy in a futile search to find the immortality that his diluted, non-outsider blood had denied him.

How's that?Well, excepting the fact that PgtF says you shouldn't have both lesser and normal planetouched in the same game, it sounds good.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 01:49 PM

How's that?

okay. Sure as hell beats anything I could've come up with....

That, and he'd be bald, tattooed, scarred, branded, and have a cyst over his left pec

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 01:50 PM
I think the fluff in RoF gave a reason.

It is not unknown for an Aasimar to give into the bitterness in the face of adversity and turn to evil.

In any case, they don't like to peg races as a single alignment. You've got your succubus Paladins.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 01:52 PM
I think the fluff in RoF gave a reason.

In any case, they don't like to peg races as a single alignment. You've got your succubus Paladins.

I find their connection to celestials why they despise evil

deuxhero
2010-03-05, 01:54 PM
nice, minus it makes no sense why an Aasamir, even a lesser one, would become a Dread necromancer

Dark!=Evil. Necrourgy (focus energy into a corpse) being evil while constructs (enslave a sapient being) are not is one of the alignment systems many failings.

SartheKobold
2010-03-05, 01:55 PM
Or said Lesser Aasimar is delving the darkest knowledge in a misguided attempt to end a powerful war. As we can see from the Cold War, deterrent-based diplomacy works, even if the threat of mutually assured destruction looms overhead. A massive army of undead, powered by intensely dark energies could still be used for good deeds if it's used as a mediator...

Plus, if there's one core point they make about planetouched is that just because they have <Insert Outsider Here> Heritage doesn't mean they will follow in their progenitor's footsteps. Scores of CG Tiefling Rogues can attest to that...

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 01:59 PM
Or he can be like Asmodeus. More Lawful than Good celestial. To fight evil/chaos, would even dip to evil.

Mastikator

Do they keep the SLAs? I forget.

Nixiepixie.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a
Lesser Aaismar get the following:
Light 1/day
+2 spot & listen
+2 Charisma
Celestial in addition to common (for some reason beyond me)

A Regular aasimar gets daylight instead of light and additionally +2 wisdom, and resistance to acid, cold & electricity 5
Very much not "the same". They're certainly one of the best +0LA races for anyone who uses charisma, but that +2 wisdom is useful for many too.

LichPrinceAlim
Or said Lesser Aasimar is delving the darkest knowledge in a misguided attempt to end a powerful war. As we can see from the Cold War, deterrent-based diplomacy works, even if the threat of mutually assured destruction looms overhead. A massive army of undead, powered by intensely dark energies could still be used for good deeds if it's used as a mediator...

Plus, if there's one core point they make about planetouched is that just because they have <Insert Outsider Here> Heritage doesn't mean they will follow in their progenitor's footsteps. Scores of CG Tiefling Rogues can attest to that...

now thats cool...minus he's LE, not any neutral

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 02:00 PM
Nixiepixie.
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a
Lesser Aaismar get the following:
Light 1/day
+2 spot & listen
+2 Charisma
Celestial in addition to common (for some reason beyond me)

A Regular aasimar gets daylight instead of light and additionally +2 wisdom, and resistance to acid, cold & electricity 5
Very much not "the same". They're certainly one of the best +0LA races for anyone who uses charisma, but that +2 wisdom is useful for many too.
That's not a Lesser Aasimar. That's a different variation of reducing LA for the Aasimar (a crappy one unless you only wanted the +2cha).

deuxhero
2010-03-05, 02:03 PM
Though proper outsider type allows easy qualifications for some PRCs and alter self cheese.

2xMachina
2010-03-05, 02:03 PM
Actually, I think it IS an Aasimar.

Note the lack of the Lesser Aasimar phrase. Also, is Outsider++

And I think Savage Progression must be fully taken? Or was it another progression?

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 02:05 PM
Though proper outsider type allows easy qualifications for some PRCs and alter self cheese.True that.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 02:07 PM
Even with a Lesser Aasamir (humanoid version), one can simply take the feat Otherworldly and voila, Aasamir as it was intended with 0LA

tyckspoon
2010-03-05, 02:08 PM
And I think Savage Progression must be fully taken? Or was it another progression?

Depends on where it was published- there aren't any actual general rules for these racial class breakdowns. The ones in Savage Species require you to take all of them, most other ones don't.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 02:11 PM
so he would look like this?

Race: Lesser Aasamir (Humanoid [Planetouched])
Class: Dread Necromancer 8/Pale Master 10/Blood Magus 2

Scribe a "nuke spell" onto the backs of my zombie hoards, each with a different command word (the effect says scar it into the skin, never mentions who's :3) and have a near infinite army of thermonuclear undead. Bwahahahahahahaha

Eldariel
2010-03-05, 02:35 PM
That's not a Lesser Aasimar. That's a different variation of reducing LA for the Aasimar (a crappy one unless you only wanted the +2cha).

That's pretty incredible, actually. Much stronger than Lesser Aasimar for Cha-based classes; Outsider-type has weapon profs, incredible Polymorph-forms, some class access, etc.

Kylarra
2010-03-05, 02:39 PM
That's pretty incredible, actually. Much stronger than Lesser Aasimar for Cha-based classes; Outsider-type has weapon profs, incredible Polymorph-forms, some class access, etc.Eh, I was operating under the assumption that you had to take the second level of the racial class. If you don't, then it is indeed fairly powerful for cha based things.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-05, 02:40 PM
Eh, I was operating under the assumption that you had to take the second level of the racial class. If you don't, then it is indeed fairly powerful for cha based things.

again, I iterate Otherworldly, a feat that literally gives you Outsider type (must be taken 1st level)

Darrin
2010-03-05, 05:29 PM
again, I iterate Otherworldly, a feat that literally gives you Outsider type (must be taken 1st level)

Feats are extremely precious. Using the Savage Progression Aasimar lets you play a LA +0 outsider with +2 Cha, all martial weapon proficiencies, and possible Alter Self shenanigans *without* spending a feat. You can take the racial class level later, or decide not to take it at all.

Note: You can also add the Magic-Blooded template to any race to give it +2 Cha, -2 Wis. LA = 0. Originally published in Dragon #306, but you can find the details in Crystalkeep's 3.0 templates.

Did anyone mention Star Elf from Unapproachable East? +2 Cha, -2 Con. Yeah, it's a FR-only book, but fluff-wise they're an extraplanar race that could conceivably be plopped down anywhere.

Heliomance
2010-03-05, 06:16 PM
Spirit aspect Hellbred also.