PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Kalashtar Telepath

DragonOfLies
2010-03-05, 01:04 PM
I'm playing a Kalashtar Telepath in an Eberron campaign. It takes place mostly on the continent of Sarlona, and psionics features heavily. We're starting at level 3 and i've been looking for some useful but flavourful options for the next few levels. Two things i really liked were the Kalashtar Telepath racial sub levels in Races of Eberron, and the Telepathic Communication alternative class feature (on the WotC website somewhere).

Anyway my problem is that I can't decide which to take at level 5; telepathy or 2 extra powers (and improved mindlink)? Also, any additional advice would be appreciated.

Thanks,
DragonOfLies

Edit: here's the ACF link http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20070411a

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 01:24 PM
If you have access to Lords of Madness you want telepathy - the Mindsight feat there basically obviates your need for Listen and Spot. I see the ACF in several forum posts but can't seem to find a source on it.

EDIT: Duh, Mind's Eye.

DragonOfLies
2010-03-05, 01:33 PM
I found the Mindsight feat :)
You'd think they'd put something that awesome under the feats section, not hidden away with the Tsochar. It's exactly the sort of thing I've been looking for, thanks. As well as being useful, the ability to 'see' a creatures INT might have some nice roleplaying applications.

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 01:37 PM
Although the second RSL causes you to lose a power known for your compound psicrystal, go with it. A power known is not that big a sacrifice (especially at level 3) compared to what you get for it, which in this case is two personalities for your psicrystal. Nimble and Single-Minded are great choices (+2 to Initiative and +3 to Concentration, both untyped.)

If you go this route, consider also taking levels in the Crystal Master (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20040625d) PrC. Many of the gems have PLAs that can make up for the power you sacrifice (e.g. Psionic Fly) and you get Improved Psicrystal for free, giving your psicrystal a 3rd personality. Craft (Gemcutting) or Knowledge are good choices for this third bonus. The class is 8/9 or 8/10 manifesting depending on whether you take the capstone or not - since you get two gems at the capstone (the final one, and your psicrystal itself), seriously consider taking it.

Or you could just be a Thrallherd :smalltongue:

Person_Man
2010-03-05, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I would also go with Telepathy + Mindsight. In addition to being a great dungeon radar, it's awesome for roleplaying purposes as well.

And you probably know this already, but one of the best parts of being a Telepath is Hostile Empathic Transfer. Use it often.

Finally, I'd say that pretty soon you are going to want/need to use Expanded Knowledge or magic items to cover your main weakness - the fact that tons of high level enemies are immune to Mind Affecting effects. So start thinking about what you're going to do against undead, plants, constructs, etc.

DragonOfLies
2010-03-05, 02:14 PM
Re: Crystal Master
I've never really looked at this PrC before, but some of the embedded gems look awesome. I'm particularly liking Moonstone and Bull's Eye Agate (for the inevitable Quori Nightmares and such). Also, it occurs to me that if I embed malachite, I could qualify for Mindsight without the ACF, allowing me to take that 5th RSL. This could make up for some of the powers lost from Crystal Master 1 and the 2nd RSL. That being said, i'm not sure if it would be easier to just get telepathy with the ACF so I have more options for embedding crystals...

Edit: Also, the telepathy from Telepathic Communication comes 2 levels earlier and is always 5-10ft further than from embedding malachite

@Person Man
I'll admit I haven't given this much thought. Can anyone advise me of some of my options for getting around immunity to mind-affecting?

Thanks very much,
DragonOfLies

alisbin
2010-03-05, 02:33 PM
your kinda screwed at higher levels as far as mind effecting goes, hell even at low levels a zombie can totally mess you up. your only real option is to take energy blast as a backup. or if your thrallherd, get a kineticist thrall and your covered too. far as i know there are no feats (or powers) that let you get around immunity to mind effecting.
oh, be true neutral if possible that helps avoid problems from protection from alignment spells.

tyckspoon
2010-03-05, 02:48 PM
@Person Man
I'll admit I haven't given this much thought. Can anyone advise me of some of my options for getting around immunity to mind-affecting?

Thanks very much,
DragonOfLies

Crystal Shard and Energy Ray are good standby powers from the general list. Astral Construct is good too, if you don't mind spending the Expanded Knowledge feat to acquire it. And, being a Telepath, you always have the option of using Charm/Dominate to recruit something to beat up things for you. When/if you make it to a high enough level you could use another EK or the research rules to pull Metamorphosis from the Shaper list and do the me-and-my-psicrystal-turn-into-hydras thing.

Greenish
2010-03-05, 02:50 PM
oh, be true neutral if possible that helps avoid problems from protection from alignment spells.Protection from X suppresses all mind affecting stuff, regardless of alignment.

alisbin
2010-03-05, 02:53 PM
Protection from X suppresses all mind affecting stuff, regardless of alignment.

huh, you're right, well thats kinda dumb, a new house rule has just been created!

Greenish
2010-03-05, 02:55 PM
huh, you're right, well thats kinda dumb, a new house rule has just been created!To encourage everyone to be true neutral? :smalltongue:

DragonOfLies
2010-03-05, 03:01 PM
Crystal Shard and Energy Ray are good standby powers from the general list.

I suppose I could sacrifice one of my more flavourful powers for Energy Ray. Looking at my current build, if I were to be attacked by plants, undead or constructs my only option would be to manifest Entangling Ectoplasm and hope the Psychic Warrior kills it before it gets to me :smalleek:

Greenish
2010-03-05, 03:13 PM
I suppose I could sacrifice one of my more flavourful powers for Energy Ray. Looking at my current build, if I were to be attacked by plants, undead or constructs my only option would be to manifest Entangling Ectoplasm and hope the Psychic Warrior kills it before it gets to me :smalleek:Crystal Shard deals slightly less damage (1d6 per point instead of 1d6+1), but there's no power/spell resistance (and can be shot into AMF).

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 03:25 PM
Protection from X suppresses all mind affecting stuff, regardless of alignment.

Not true (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromevil.htm) - it suppresses Compulsions and Charms, but is not a level 1 Mind Blank.

Pro: Evil does nothing against, say, Crisis of Life. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crisisofLife.htm)

In addition, all suppression means is that the compulsion does not take effect on a failed save. If the protection runs out or is dispelled before the compulsion/charm is removed or expires, it will affect the subject normally.

faceroll
2010-03-05, 05:00 PM
Crystal Shard deals slightly less damage (1d6 per point instead of 1d6+1), but there's no power/spell resistance (and can be shot into AMF).

Is there transparency between Conjuration(creation) and Metacreativity(creation)?

Greenish
2010-03-05, 05:10 PM
Not true (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/protectionFromevil.htm) - it suppresses Compulsions and Charms, but is not a level 1 Mind Blank.

Pro: Evil does nothing against, say, Crisis of Life. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crisisofLife.htm)

In addition, all suppression means is that the compulsion does not take effect on a failed save. If the protection runs out or is dispelled before the compulsion/charm is removed or expires, it will affect the subject normally.Yeah, I oversimplified. Bad, lazy me. Though someone might think that trying to stop someone's heart with your freaky mind powers counts as "exercising mental control" over them (especially as you target their mind, even if it's the subconscious part of it).

Optimystik
2010-03-05, 05:22 PM
Yeah, I oversimplified. Bad, lazy me. Though someone might think that trying to stop someone's heart with your freaky mind powers counts as "exercising mental control" over them (especially as you target their mind, even if it's the subconscious part of it).

I'd say its less "mental control" and more like a burst of static on a communication channel to interrupt a signal - in CoL's case, disrupting the medulla oblongata's control over the heartbeat.

Is there transparency between Conjuration(creation) and Metacreativity(creation)?

Yes - an instantaneous metacreation is for all intents and purposes identical to an instantaneous conjuration.

"For the purpose of psionics-magic transparency, metacreativity powers are equivalent to powers of the conjuration school" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#metacreativity)

And crystal shard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crystalShard.htm) is instantaneous. (Note that it also has "PR: No.")

faceroll
2010-03-05, 05:32 PM
Yes - an instantaneous metacreation is for all intents and purposes identical to an instantaneous conjuration.

"For the purpose of psionics-magic transparency, metacreativity powers are equivalent to powers of the conjuration school" (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicPowersOverview.htm#metacreativity)

And crystal shard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/crystalShard.htm) is instantaneous. (Note that it also has "PR: No.")

Nice.12345

Greenish
2010-03-05, 05:42 PM
I'd say its less "mental control" and more like a burst of static on a communication channel to interrupt a signal - in CoL's case, disrupting the medulla oblongata's control over the heartbeat.Controlling brains is still controlling brains, even if all you do is squeeze, but then, the description could be more clear. (For the benefit of the likes of me, who need it spelled out with simple words.)

DragonOfLies
2010-03-05, 06:11 PM
Soooo... I don't have to worry about not being true neutral? :smalltongue:
Excuse me good sirs, I'm fairly new to this

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-05, 08:20 PM
Controlling brains is still controlling brains, even if all you do is squeeze, but then, the description could be more clear. (For the benefit of the likes of me, who need it spelled out with simple words.)

Of course one could argue that the mind and brain are two separate, though undeniably related, things.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-05, 08:26 PM
Of course one could argue that the mind and brain are two separate, though undeniably related, things.

I think you'll find this is in fact the case. Just like the air in your lungs and your lungs are two seperate though undeniably related things. One is a physical oragn. The other is not so. Not to say the mind is like a series of gases in your head (Its all synapses firing really). But that would lead the term Brain Fart a little more credibility.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-05, 08:34 PM
I'm of that school of thought myself, but in game terms it can be a little more questionable.

DragonOfLies
2010-03-06, 04:25 AM

I think this is how it works, at least in D&D. Take the Mind Switch power (XPH):
"If the manifestation succeeds, your life force occupies the host body, and the host’s life force takes over yours."
The description doesn't say anything about physically swapping brains, only "life force", or "mind" if you will. The brain is probably treated as part of the body. So yeah, mind and brain seem to be seperate, although as Kelb_Panthera said they are undeniably related.