PDA

View Full Version : Epic Ultimate Magus [3.5]

unre9istered
2010-03-05, 01:14 PM
Going to be picking up a game soon that ended with my Ultimate Magus at 20th level. I'm trying to develop the epic progression for that class and wanted to ask the Playground for some advice to make it balanced (or as much as possible for an epic caster).

Based on other dual progression classes it will alternate between sorcerer and wizard spellcasting. The Augmented Casting will progress until 9th level spells are included (at 18th level of the class). These are the givens.

Now the questions:
Should Arcane spell power (+1 to lowest caster level every 3 levels, next at 13th) progress?
Should expanded spell knowledge (add a spell from spell book to spells known; max spell level is class level/2; every even level, next at 12) progress?
How often should this progression get a bonus Epic Feat (mystic theurge gets one every 6th for comparison)?

Tyndmyr
2010-03-05, 01:39 PM
I believe according to epic PrC progression rules, every ten level PrC continues into epic, and every ability that gets boosted on a regular interval continues doing so.

So yes, it will continue to progress as it does currently, bonus CL and all.

alisbin
2010-03-05, 02:15 PM
i house rule that all dual progression classes continue to get their preepic progression. half the time theres no reason not to just take alternating levels of applicable single caster prestige classes is better otherwise. especially with classes like mystic theurge which doesn't get any special abilities.

unre9istered
2010-03-05, 03:16 PM
I think the reasoning for the split spellcasting was you're now getting epic feats. Though given that your falling behind on both classes caster level, you should get feats at least as often as a straight epic caster class like wizard (if your not getting any thing else like mystic theurge).

Da'Shain
2010-03-05, 05:07 PM
The Mystic Theurge epic progression is ridiculously gimped. They overestimated how good having both Arcane and Divine magic would be by a lot. As alisbin says, you'd be better off taking alternating levels of the classes you got into MT with, as not only would you get the same spell progression but you'd also possibly get some actual class features.

On the Ultimate Magus, I'd agree that you continue the Arcane Spell Power increase as well as the Expanded Spell Knowledge all the way up to 9th. It should probably get bonus feats every 4 or 5 levels, since that's the length of time between its bonus feats in the normal progression and it's getting actual class features so it shouldn't get feats every 3 levels like the epic Wizard.

EDIT: I'd probably rule that Augmented Casting would not continue to advance, though, as being able to freely apply metamagic to spells above 5th level with merely the expending of an additional spell slot would be huge, IMO.