PDA

View Full Version : Paintballers?

Solaris
2010-03-05, 04:21 PM
So my battery's looking for things us joes can do in our off time to help kill the boredom of being on one of the most isolated posts in the Army, and I came up with the notion of paintball. It's a physical sport, has an element of violence to it, and it plays to some of our key job skills (even moreso once I rig up a paint-cannon and/or paintapult, heheh). The problem is, I've never done it before (unless we're counting simunition). I know how to shoot, I just don't know gear. Here are some of my requirements:
Rugged. I'm in the Army, I'm used to equipment that I can bash someone in the face and/or break a door down with. It doesn't necessarily have to be that tough, but I'd prefer something that can stand up to a stiff breeze.
Rapid-firing. I'm infamous in my battery for the incident involving "Fast Freddy" for a reason. I can pound out rounds at the cyclic rate of fire for most modern semiautomatic weapons, and will do so given half a chance.
Endurance. Not just physical toughness, I need gear that won't hinder me overmuch and won't stop shooting after I fire a few rounds.

I could wear most of my battle-rattle for this, but that leaves out a face mask and I'd prefer not to wear eighty pounds of body armor for paintballs. Thus, I'm needing to find a decent vest for a li'l feller like myself and a good helmet/mask.

CollinPhillips
2010-03-05, 05:08 PM
Why not airsoft? It requires less equipment and less clean up.

Falgorn
2010-03-05, 05:30 PM
So my battery's looking for things us joes can do in our off time to help kill the boredom of being on one of the most isolated posts in the Army, and I came up with the notion of paintball. It's a physical sport, has an element of violence to it, and it plays to some of our key job skills (even moreso once I rig up a paint-cannon and/or paintapult, heheh). The problem is, I've never done it before (unless we're counting simunition). I know how to shoot, I just don't know gear. Here are some of my requirements:
Rugged. I'm in the Army, I'm used to equipment that I can bash someone in the face and/or break a door down with. It doesn't necessarily have to be that tough, but I'd prefer something that can stand up to a stiff breeze.
Rapid-firing. I'm infamous in my battery for the incident involving "Fast Freddy" for a reason. I can pound out rounds at the cyclic rate of fire for most modern semiautomatic weapons, and will do so given half a chance.
Endurance. Not just physical toughness, I need gear that won't hinder me overmuch and won't stop shooting after I fire a few rounds.

I could wear most of my battle-rattle for this, but that leaves out a face mask and I'd prefer not to wear eighty pounds of body armor for paintballs. Thus, I'm needing to find a decent vest for a li'l feller like myself and a good helmet/mask.

Paintball is a good sport, I personally love it, and it may fit your requirements.

Besides the bashing one.

I would recommend an Electronic trigger for you, if you want to fire very fast. They fire about six balls a second. Or something. They're the automatic weapons of Paintballing.
I must warn you, though, that paintball is costly. The average, actually good gun costs about $150, from my experience, and you'd want to get balls by the thousand.

The gear is light, to say the least. I remember the first time I went out I had a short sleeve shirt and plad shorts, and it was fine. To be safe, you should wear sweatpants and a long-sleeved shirt. You could get body armor, in theory, but I would just find that a wast of money.

Supagoof
2010-03-05, 05:34 PM
From my experience...

Tippman 98. This is probably the most tested and true of the paintballs guns. Everyone I know who has one, loves it. Everyone I know who doesn't have one, wants to get one. The best thing about this gun is the customization and simplicity. It's tough for out in the field, easy to clean while in combat (Paintballs breaking in the barrell affect firing), and also easy to upgrade. For example, paintballs don't fly like bullets, so in order to get distance you need special barrells. The sniper addition to this gun is easy to snap into place, and despite the curvature the barrell needs in order to spin the paintballs to go farther, it doesn't affect make you re-adjust the aim.

For the speed shots you want, you'll need a speed-loader to go fully automatic. If you want to keep that quiet, you'll want to spend the extra cash to get one where you can't hear the battery operated motor when you turn it on. You'll also want to think of upgrading the board to accomodate the rapid fire rate and performance. Perhaps even getting an electric trigger to account for speed.

A good online store for all this stuff if paintball-online.com. The prices are good here, and you can build up the gun with the stuff you want.

As for padding/headgear. Two things that matter here are breathability and weight. I'm guessing with your training weight will be less of a factor, but once you start wrapping the foam gear around yourself, breathability is what will allow air to circulate and keep your cooler. Most of the time, the places that really hurt to get a paintball - hands, neck and face. You'll want something to protect those. Other then that, the other parts of the body just depend on how much pain you want to avoid. Getting hit directly by a paintball in the chest or arms feels like a really bad charley-horse punch. It's survivable. The foam protection adds heat/sweat to playing, but if you get some softer stuff, you can sometimes avoid paintballs breaking on you, which is also an advantage. It's a tradeoff. Typically I prefer not being so sweaty, so I minimalize my gear to gloves, chest plate, mask and scarf around my neck.

Have fun and good luck!

Jack Squat
2010-03-05, 06:08 PM
I'll second Tippman being a tough line. The 98/custom is a good line, and can be fitted to just about any need. However, the A5 series is more readily converted to look/feel similar to your issue rifles.

I like the JTUSA Spectre series of masks, and I've been told they're really good for gear in general. You can get as tacti-cooled out as you want gear-wise, though outside of the gun/mask, I only really need a spare 200 balls in a pod-kit from Wal-Mart.

As far as the mask, spring for an anti-fog lens, and maybe invest in one of those mask fans. Depending on the weather and general care-taking, they can fog up incredibly fast, which obviously isn't good.

Clothing-wise, I've only ever really played in boots, OD BDU pants (my "I don't care how messed up these get" pants), and a t-shirt, with a light jacket on depending on the weather. You get welts, but it doesn't sting too bad when you get hit. Honestly, I barely notice it most of the time - but then again that's a naturally high pain tolerance aided by adrenaline.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 07:31 PM
The guy I talked to over here also mentioned and recommended the Tippmann 98. Cost isn't too much of an issue until we start talking over five hundred dollars - I live in the barracks, so I don't have any bills 'cept cable and internet. How's the TPX, by the by? I've learned the hard way that it's handy to have a backup firearm 'marker' in case you run out of ammo at an inopportune moment.
... Ooh, paint grenades. Heheheh.
So a speed loader, electronic trigger? I'll look into that. I'll also look into the longer barrels, too. Six balls per second... that's sloooow. I guess I won't have to worry about ammo endurance too much, then.

I forgot, I also wear glasses. Will that be a problem with most facemasks?

Yeah, weight/breathability isn't too much a problem for me. I'll keep that in mind, though. If nothing else, knowing my buddies, I'll be wearing some kind of groin protection to go with face/neck/ear protection.
Gloves aren't a problem. We're issued anti-frag gloves, and I can upgrade to the kind with hard panels like I've been meaning to.

Vaynor
2010-03-05, 07:36 PM
Get some of these bad boys (http://www.alternativepaintball.com/mines.htm). :smallcool:

Krade
2010-03-05, 07:44 PM
I've gone paintballing once. It was good fun. I went to a course with my brother and his wife's parent's neighbor's kids and played for pretty much an entire day. The rental gear wasn't so costly (especially since I wasn't paying), but where they get you is in the balls:smallamused:. At (I assume) most, if not all courses you can't bring your own. You have to buy them there and you can't save them for next time. I think it was something like $80 for 2000. We went through over 4000.

Of course, then you realize the next day that you are terribly out of shape and will be in great pain everywhere from all the running and jumping and crawling and kneeling and getting shot.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 07:46 PM
Get some of these bad boys (http://www.alternativepaintball.com/mines.htm). :smallcool:

Holy crap, IEDs in paintball! My buddies would murder me.
... I gotta get me somma them.

Jack Squat
2010-03-05, 08:08 PM
How's the TPX, by the by? I've learned the hard way that it's handy to have a backup firearm 'marker' in case you run out of ammo at an inopportune moment.

I've heard really good things about them, but haven't gotten to try one out due to lack of funds.

I forgot, I also wear glasses. Will that be a problem with most facemasks?

It can be, depends on the glasses. Your best bet is to hit up a store and try some on.

If nothing else, knowing my buddies, I'll be wearing some kind of groin protection to go with face/neck/ear protection.

From what I know, nut-shots generally don't happen often (not as accurate as a rifle + moving target + small target area) but when they do you'll definitely wish you had something there. That being said, I don't wear a cup when playing, I've tried and find it incredibly uncomfortable to run in. Of course, the people I play with have a hard enough time hitting me in the torso, so I think my risk is inherently lower than yours :smalltongue:

Worira
2010-03-05, 08:46 PM

They also have paint mortars, although it wouldn't be very hard to make your own.

golentan
2010-03-05, 09:31 PM

Yeah... Remember, have them rigged in sequence, though, and only in memorable places if not obvious ones. And if you want a shaped charge, I suggest building your own. I can give advice on that, if you like.

Also, be sure to leave some sloppily covered up food cans (and some not so much) and twine on important approaches, you can probably scrounge around base for good materials. That way you don't have to buy full setups for everything important to slow them down as they look for tripwires, and if they guess wrong... BOOM! Psychological edge either way.

Force
2010-03-05, 09:37 PM
I second airsoft as opposed to paintball. Airsoft's quite a bit cheaper: ammo's not anywhere near as expensive as paintballs ($20 buys you several thousand airsoft BBs) and you can pick up a decent airsoft gun for $200-$300, less if you're willing to settle for something that won't last quite as long or buy used; my Echo 1 (Chinese "Clone) G36 cost me $80 used with three magazines, runs like a champ, and will for a couple years of average use.

Airsoft also lets you use a lot of the gear you undoubtedly already have; put those ACUs and whatever MOLLE-type stuff your commander will let you sneak away with to good use (after taking out the SAPI and whatnot) without having to wash the paint off.

Plus, a good electric airsoft gun puts out several BBs per second on automatic mode (more if you have a gun that supports it, like a M249 with a drum magazine).

The biggest issue for you guys probably is that, as you're in Alaska, paintball guns won't be very effective when it gets colder out; gas guns don't shoot well in the cold. Airsoft guns (except for gas guns) shoot just as well in the cold as in the hot.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 09:41 PM
I've heard really good things about them, but haven't gotten to try one out due to lack of funds.

Shiny. I think I might have to pick one up for the lulz.

It can be, depends on the glasses. Your best bet is to hit up a store and try some on.

Alrighty. I've worn some masks like that before and they didn't interfere too much, come to think of it.

From what I know, nut-shots generally don't happen often (not as accurate as a rifle + moving target + small target area) but when they do you'll definitely wish you had something there. That being said, I don't wear a cup when playing, I've tried and find it incredibly uncomfortable to run in. Of course, the people I play with have a hard enough time hitting me in the torso, so I think my risk is inherently lower than yours :smalltongue:

There's revenge to be had. I tagged one or two guys in their crotches with simunition. Hey, it's not my fault I zero my weapons to aim either for the head or the groin. Nobody wears armor on the face or the crotch.

They also have paint mortars, although it wouldn't be very hard to make your own.

Yeah, I saw plans available on the same site. If I'm gonna be making it myself, I might as well be making the plans myself.
Plus, y'know, testing it to figure out its range would be a blast.

Yeah... Remember, have them rigged in sequence, though, and only in memorable places if not obvious ones. And if you want a shaped charge, I suggest building your own. I can give advice on that, if you like.

Please do, although bear in mind that my explosives in this situation are pretty much limited to pressurized inert gasses.

Also, be sure to leave some sloppily covered up food cans and twine on important approaches, you can probably scrounge around base for good materials. That way you don't have to buy full setups for everything important to slow them down as they look for tripwires, and if they guess wrong... BOOM! Psychological edge either way.

Heheheh. That's frikkin' genius.

Airsoft also lets you use a lot of the gear you undoubtedly already have; put those ACUs and whatever MOLLE-type stuff your commander will let you sneak away with to good use (after taking out the SAPI and whatnot) without having to wash the paint off.

True, except the ACU is camouflage for nowhere. Every time we've tried to do a stealth mission in our ACUs it was... ugly. Commander's permission isn't a problem - the gear belongs to me so long as I'm in the Army. My only concern is, like you said, getting it clean for inspections.
I was going to pick up civvies for decent camouflage. I figure worst-case scenario, I have to rig up a plate carrier and use that.

Plus, a good electric airsoft gun puts out several BBs per second on automatic mode (more if you have a gun that supports it, like a M249 with a drum magazine).

You make a convincing argument. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys already are in paintball but none are in airsoft.

The biggest issue for you guys probably is that, as you're in Alaska, paintball guns won't be very effective when it gets colder out; gas guns don't shoot well in the cold. Airsoft guns (except for gas guns) shoot just as well in the cold as in the hot.

This would be a big concern, except we're approaching breakup and I'll be gone by the time winter rolls around again. I'll have to keep that in mind, though, considering I live above the snowline. What temperature ranges make gas guns unhappy?

golentan
2010-03-05, 10:08 PM
Please do, although bear in mind that my explosives in this situation are pretty much limited to pressurized inert gasses.

Yeah. What you do is take a pressurizeable chamber, a quick release valve, and a fluid chamber filled with paint. Pump the pressure chamber, and when you're set you trip the valve and everything down range gets splattered. I got about a 45 foot aerosolization when I did it.

Heheheh. That's frikkin' genius.

Thank you. Bear in mind my job was to crawl inside the heads of people like your companions and scramble what I found there. Let me in on any plans, I think I can up the ante on them. :smallbiggrin:

Force
2010-03-05, 10:10 PM
True, except the ACU is camouflage for nowhere. Every time we've tried to do a stealth mission in our ACUs it was... ugly. Commander's permission isn't a problem - the gear belongs to me so long as I'm in the Army. My only concern is, like you said, getting it clean for inspections.
I was going to pick up civvies for decent camouflage. I figure worst-case scenario, I have to rig up a plate carrier and use that.

You make a convincing argument. Unfortunately, a lot of the guys already are in paintball but none are in airsoft.

This would be a big concern, except we're approaching breakup and I'll be gone by the time winter rolls around again. I'll have to keep that in mind, though, considering I live above the snowline. What temperature ranges make gas guns unhappy?

Picking up used army gear on the internet is EASY. I roll with Woodland BDUs, LBE, and a dropleg for my Glock; total cost $25. If you can find any Alaskan paintball/airsoft forums or websites, check their classifieds sections; people sell used stuff for a song. Gear shouldn't cost you too much unless you decide you want a plate carrier stuffed with MOLLE pouches up the ying-yang. And yes, I know ACUs aren't much good as camo; our team sniper ranks them consistently badly (granted, he ranks EVERYTHING as crappy camo except hunters camo, and even that doesn't do much against him). But you have them available, so... *Shrugs*

I honestly don't know how much cold weather affects paintball guns. I do know that my airsoft teams' gas pistols are worthless in anything approaching freezing; BB speed and the number of shots we get per charge drops like a rock. Paintball guns might be better off due to their different design but they're going to be affected nonetheless.

Solaris
2010-03-05, 10:31 PM
Picking up used army gear on the internet is EASY. I roll with Woodland BDUs, LBE, and a dropleg for my Glock; total cost $25. If you can find any Alaskan paintball/airsoft forums or websites, check their classifieds sections; people sell used stuff for a song. Gear shouldn't cost you too much unless you decide you want a plate carrier stuffed with MOLLE pouches up the ying-yang. And yes, I know ACUs aren't much good as camo; our team sniper ranks them consistently badly (granted, he ranks EVERYTHING as crappy camo except hunters camo, and even that doesn't do much against him). But you have them available, so... *Shrugs*

Well, yeah, but that's 'cause almost every camo pattern available is crappy camo. ACUs are just so bad that I'd be better off wearing dark blue jeans and a black hoodie instead. Like I said, we've tried to sneak around in woodlands with 'em on and we stick out like sore thumbs.

I honestly don't know how much cold weather affects paintball guns. I do know that my airsoft teams' gas pistols are worthless in anything approaching freezing; BB speed and the number of shots we get per charge drops like a rock. Paintball guns might be better off due to their different design but they're going to be affected nonetheless.

Alrighty.

ForzaFiori
2010-03-05, 11:01 PM

The cold only effects it if you use CO2. Get a Nitro take and a converter for the input, and you'll be fine. It's a little expensive from what I've heard (never had a reason to, living in the south, and my paintball guns (both wal-mart cheepos) have worked fine while I'm lying in snow), but unless your in Antarctica, you should be fine. Honestly though, the CO2 won't usually start messing up till around 0 degrees Fahrenheit (which probably happens alot in Alaska, now that I think about it)

I second the Tippman 98 by the way. A friend of mine had one, he's the only person I know who has NEVER had a problem with his gun, not to mention he has changed from an auto-assult gun to a sniper in the middle of a game. (granted, he was hiding at the time, but you CAN do it)