PDA

View Full Version : Mutants & Masterminds Review

tynger1234
2010-03-05, 06:18 PM
Hi, I'm interested in buying the M&M rulebook and before I spend my well earned money on it I would like to know what exactly I would be jumping into. I'm used to other d20 games (D&D 3.5, SW saga, etc..) so you would only need to mention any chages from one of those systems. If any of you can compare M&M with the Hero system then please do so.

Dhavaer
2010-03-05, 07:48 PM
The main difference between M&M and other d20 systems is that it doesn't use classes or hit points. Damage is modelled using saving throws, the usual Fort/Reflex/Will and also Toughness, which is analogous to hit points. You then get penalties or conditions depending on how badly you fail the save. Instead of classes, it uses point buy with a power cap that restricts your primary abilities: saves, attack bonus, skill ranks, etc.

Ladorak
2010-03-05, 07:55 PM
I only played the original version of M&M, but I was greatly impressed with it.

There's so many powers, feats etc that what you play is limited only by Power Level (Like character level) and your imagination. Also, somehow they managed to make a system that punishes unoriginal builds; IE people who just wanna be Wolverine or Spiderman.

The system is easy to pick up and works really well. Quick and effective. Plus it uses a 'wounding' system to accurately reflect combat damage.

Grynning
2010-03-05, 08:02 PM
M&M is a very, very good system (the 2nd edition is what I've had experience with). However, it is a pretty substantial departure from other d20 games.

For one, there's no tactical movement and combat is minis/grid free. Combat is very cinematic and represents the whole comic book style of heroes being able to shrug off lots of powerful hits, but one good one can send you reeling or even knock you out.

Character creation is a pretty long and grueling process, requiring a lot more math than most D&D people would be used to, but the payoff is worth it as you can literally make any character you can possibly imagine. We played in a group with my kinetic controller (a Gambit/Speedball hybrid type character), a guy who was pretty much literally a DBZ Sayan, and a dragon trapped in a teenage girl's body.

The system is based purely on mechanics, with fluff being created by the player and GM. This means it's very adaptable to any setting and style of game, whether gritty or 4-color, and the book has GM'ing suggestions for play based on the various comic book "ages." However, it can very easily be used for sci-fi, pulp, or even high-fantasy games without needing any mechanical changes.

I heartily recommend picking up the game. If you plan to run it, get the hardback and the Ultimate Power supplement (which adds a lot more powers and revises some of the ones from the main book to let you do more with them, and also breaks down the point costs and explains the math). Your players can get by with just the pocket guide, which is cheaper, so it's easy for everyone to have their own reference books. Green Ronin also sells PDF's of most of their books, which can save some money as well.

Starscream
2010-03-05, 08:19 PM
I really enjoy it.

The system is a little like a cross between D&D and GURPS, where your progression is more organic and not constrained by classes.

There are a ton of interesting powers, and some good supplements add even more. It is also the only system I've seen that handles super speedsters (my favorite archetype) well, and actually allows you to stat out characters like Batman just as well as ones like Superman.

Project_Mayhem
2010-03-05, 08:23 PM
Also, it has hilarious interior artwork, with expys of famous super heroes and comic covers.

"Not even the the Freedom League can escape my gravity ray!"

J.Gellert
2010-03-05, 08:32 PM
Excellent system, I love it.

The only downside is that it requires a 'strong' DM to work, both because he needs to provide much of the fluff (setting, powers) and because he needs to keep an eye on "balance".

awa
2010-03-05, 10:16 PM
You can make ungodly overpowered characters by barely even trying the game master needs to be able to put his foot down and say no you cant have the power to attack every one on the planet as a free action i wont let you and you need a player who will say okay that's reasonable. if you don't have that the game wont work.

The systems good but it does something rather poorly real low power games don't work well with out house rules and really high power games also tend to break down (although the latter is true in every game I've played 1)
But if you plan on playing a game with powerful characters like around the spider man and want a system that will let your imagination run wild i whole heartedly endorse this game

1 ive never played exalted

wizuriel
2010-03-05, 10:32 PM
My one complaint (aside from being very easy to accidentally break) is how combat just ends. A lot of powers, at least in 1st edition, are a save and lose. Makes it so you need a character with max saves or you risk 1 bad roll just taking you out of combat, ex failing 1 reflex save and being turned into stone. Makes it hard for fights as bosses can easily 1 shot a player if they are too high level, but if they are not high enough they can do down to 1 attack.

Kallisti
2010-03-05, 11:31 PM
My one complaint (aside from being very easy to accidentally break) is how combat just ends. A lot of powers, at least in 1st edition, are a save and lose. Makes it so you need a character with max saves or you risk 1 bad roll just taking you out of combat, ex failing 1 reflex save and being turned into stone. Makes it hard for fights as bosses can easily 1 shot a player if they are too high level, but if they are not high enough they can do down to 1 attack.

Second Edition does a pretty good job of dealing with this.

I echo most of the above sentiments and say that M&M 2e is a wonderfully customizable and organic game that works immensely well, as long as nobody actually tries to break the game. It exists to be a superhero simulator that lets you create a wide range of interesting characters without learning any really complicated rules, not to enforce balance. That's the GM's job.

tynger1234
2010-03-06, 10:13 AM
wow, this is all very helpful. Thank you for the input