PDA

View Full Version : What system best suits this?

alisbin
2010-03-05, 11:13 PM
hey mates,
i've been hankering to play Starsiege: Tribes again for awhile and when i reinstalled and toyed with it i remembered how rich a universe it is and realized how much i'd like to play it on tabletop. so, for those of you who know this classic, what PNP system do you think would best suit it?
i've really only played D&D (2nd and 3rd ed) and some alternity, neither of which really lends itself all that well to starsiege (well, if i still had alternity books it might be doable, but i don't want to rewrite the ruleset...). i was considering GURPS, but having never played it i figured the forum's massive collective knowledge might have some answers.

for the uninitiated;
Starsiege: Tribes takes place in a far future universe where humankind has spread to the corners of the galaxy, gathered itself into a massive empire, then fallen into shambles. while some believe that somewhere (earth probably, wherever it is) high civilization remains, the majority of human kind lives out in the galaxy in a sort of high technology (from our perspective at least) tribalism. these tribes fight for territory wearing powered armor (with limited use jetpacks) of various weights and capabilities plus various vehicles.

Satyr
2010-03-06, 02:17 AM
Sure, Gurps could do it. Other good options would be Space D6 (the further development of the original - and still unrivaled - original Star Wars RPG, sans the Star Wars aspect) and Burning Empires which has a setting on its own which sounds very similar to what you describe, and which includes a very neat setting building aspect for the development of the campaign.
My personal favorite these days would be All Flesh Must Be Eaten + All Tomorow Zombies. Yes, it sounds mostly like loads and loads of the Living Dead, but in fact it's a solid generic system which is very simple to customize and which is just a really fun game.

Kiero
2010-03-06, 06:33 AM
Diaspora is a possibility, it's hard sci-fi for FATE 3.0 and covers a lot of the themes (and tech) you've mentioned. Don't take my word for it, you can read the SRD (http://www.vsca.ca/Diaspora/diaspora-srd.html) for yourself.

bosssmiley
2010-03-06, 03:04 PM
hey mates,
i've been hankering to play Starsiege: Tribes again for awhile and when i reinstalled and toyed with it i remembered how rich a universe it is and realized how much i'd like to play it on tabletop. so, for those of you who know this classic, what PNP system do you think would best suit it?
i've really only played D&D (2nd and 3rd ed) and some alternity, neither of which really lends itself all that well to starsiege (well, if i still had alternity books it might be doable, but i don't want to rewrite the ruleset...). i was considering GURPS, but having never played it i figured the forum's massive collective knowledge might have some answers.

for the uninitiated;
Starsiege: Tribes takes place in a far future universe where humankind has spread to the corners of the galaxy, gathered itself into a massive empire, then fallen into shambles. while some believe that somewhere (earth probably, wherever it is) high civilization remains, the majority of human kind lives out in the galaxy in a sort of high technology (from our perspective at least) tribalism. these tribes fight for territory wearing powered armor (with limited use jetpacks) of various weights and capabilities plus various vehicles.

Alternity: StarDrive or WH40K Rogue Trader, or maybe (Classic) Traveller all sound possible. The Hawkmoon RPG might also work (Yes, and GURPS too.)

Fading Suns and LUGDune both did the regressed future thing too, but they might be a little too thematically specific for your needs.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-06, 03:56 PM
I was also going to say Fading Suns.

Hawriel
2010-03-06, 10:18 PM
Sure, Gurps could do it. Other good options would be Space D6 (the further development of the original - and still unrivaled - original Star Wars RPG, sans the Star Wars aspect).

I thought I was the only person who liked WEG d6. I often suggest but its like talking into the wind.

Im not alone:smalltongue:

aivanther
2010-03-06, 10:38 PM
Sure, Gurps could do it.

GURPS can do pretty much anything though, so that's a given.

Though it's a rather limited system in a lot of ways (IMO anyway), rifts could probably do it to.

Malificus
2010-03-06, 10:41 PM
rifts could probably do it to.

Rifts does everything too.

Yuki Akuma
2010-03-06, 11:12 PM
Rifts does everything too.

Not the same.

GURPS can run any setting, and include anything in whatever setting it's being used to run.

Rifts has everything in one setting.

Aik
2010-03-06, 11:58 PM
3:16 - Carnage Among the Stars?

Hmm - or if you want to emphasis the tribal part rather than the science-fiction-killing-things part, perhaps Beast Hunters? I guess you could hack the magical tatoos thing to be high technology without too much difficulty.

aivanther
2010-03-07, 05:02 PM
GURPS can run any setting, and include anything in whatever setting it's being used to run.

Rifts has everything in one setting.

This.

Plus, palladium's stuff, while having every conceivable setting, is rather constrained within the setting, irc. For example of what I mean, "Heroes Unlimited" is a rather constrained power system, as opposed to Mutants and Masterminds which can let you do almost anything you want to do.

kentma57
2010-03-07, 06:48 PM
BESM(Big Eyes Small Mouth) d20. I can suit anything.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-07, 07:10 PM
Ok guys, we all know GURPS can do it, lets stop suggesting generic systems and talk about systems designed to do this stuff.

Tengu_temp
2010-03-07, 07:41 PM
Mutants and Masterminds with the Mecha and Manga expansion has good and simple rules of creating and piloting various mecha, including power armor. If you want your game to be on the cinematic end of the scale, as opposed to gritty and realistic, I suggest this.