PDA

View Full Version : negative energy area effect? (dnd 3.5)

adecoy95
2010-03-06, 12:02 AM
im looking for a spell that does negative energy damage in an area like a fireball, does anyone know of such a spell? i know about uttercold, but i was looking more for a featless option

magic9mushroom
2010-03-06, 02:22 AM
im looking for a spell that does negative energy damage in an area like a fireball, does anyone know of such a spell? i know about uttercold, but i was looking more for a featless option

I don't know of one, but the Dread Necromancer (Heroes of Horror) gets a negative energy burst ability as a class feature, so you could look into that.

Dhavaer
2010-03-06, 02:44 AM
Negative energy burst. Not sure of the source, though. Possibly a Forgotten Realms book.

Ashiel
2010-03-06, 03:10 AM

I believe there was a negative energy burst spell in one of the 3.0 books at least. If not, you could convert the spell from Neverwinter Nights. It was a fireball-like burst that dealt 1d8+CL negative energy damage, and also dealt some strength damage based on the caster level (it wasn't a lot usually). Will save halved the damage and negated the strength damage. 3rd level spell.

I'd say it should look something like this:

Negative Energy Burst
Necromancy [Negative]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long (400ft + 40ft/level)
Area: 20ft radius burst.
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Will half; see text
Spell Resistance: Yes

Upon completing this spell, the caster floods the designated area with negative energy and saps the strength of those caught within. Creatures within the area of effect suffer 1d8 damage +2 per caster level (up to a maximum of +20) and 1 point of Strength damage per five caster levels. A successful will save halves both hit point and ability score damage (minimum of 1 point of ability score damage).

Negative energy heals undead. Undead creatures in are instead healed for the amount of damage this spell would have inflicted and are immune to the ability damage from this spell.

I know [Negative] isn't a standard subtype for a spell, but it's a modification from my gaming group. It's a descriptor tag for cleanliness of the system. Healing spells sport a [Positive] descriptor as well. Merely remove it to make it 100% compatible with the SRD standard. :smallsmile:

Edit: Also, ninja'd by Dhavaer. He's probably right about the Forgotten Realms book thing. That sounds pretty likely. I still like my version though. :smallbiggrin:

Darklord Xavez
2010-03-06, 02:08 PM
Circle of Death technically counts.
-Xavez

Darrin
2010-03-06, 02:44 PM

Necrotic Skull Bomb from Champions of Ruin.

adecoy95
2010-03-12, 02:49 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i noticed that necrotic skull bomb did give undead temporary hitpoints, thats pretty cool

after some searching i did find the negative energy burst, its 1d8+1 per cl up to 10, i was kinda hoping for something a bit stronger than inflict light wounds mass.

they dont make it easy to keep undead healed :smallbiggrin:

Darrin
2010-03-12, 07:07 PM
thanks for the suggestions, i noticed that necrotic skull bomb did give undead temporary hitpoints, thats pretty cool

after some searching i did find the negative energy burst, its 1d8+1 per cl up to 10, i was kinda hoping for something a bit stronger than inflict light wounds mass.

they dont make it easy to keep undead healed :smallbiggrin:

Isn't there some combo with Lord of the Uttercold that causes all your cold spells to be half cold/half negative energy? So you just drop energy substituted fireballs on your undead minions all day to heal them?