PDA

View Full Version : Anyone think Niu looks like Miko?

SwordsageErrant
2010-03-06, 01:11 AM
... I know, I know, the chances of Miko coming back are close to nil. But I am and always will be a hopeless Miko fan, and I even yearn for subplots and potential familial ties based on a simple visual similarity in #705. Does anyone else feel this way?

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-06, 01:15 AM
Ever notice how almost all Azurite soldiers look exactly the same? Really, there's only so many ways to vary hairstyles, and when your facial features all look the same, that's about all you've got.

Then again, Azure City is now one, big happy family.

Shale
2010-03-06, 01:37 AM
Just posting so I can point at my sig, because the Giant says it better than I can.

Starscream
2010-03-06, 02:07 AM
Yes. I also think she looks like Haley, Elan, Roy, That Guy With The Halberd, and Banjo the Clown Puppet.

slayerx
2010-03-06, 02:54 AM
Yes. I also think she looks like Haley, Elan, Roy, That Guy With The Halberd, and Banjo the Clown Puppet.

Now your just getting absurd... she doesn't even have a halberd :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 03:07 AM
... I know, I know, the chances of Miko coming back are close to nil. But I am and always will be a hopeless Miko fan, and I even yearn for subplots and potential familial ties based on a simple visual similarity in #705. Does anyone else feel this way?

Ever notice how this is a stick figure comic and nearly all characters look like nearly all other characters?

Cizak
2010-03-06, 08:58 AM
I just noticed that Elan and Haley have the same eyes. Isn't thast a wierd coincidence, that two people who had the exact same eyes hooked up?

Kish
2010-03-06, 09:00 AM
If everyone keeps making fun of the OP, Roland will lock this.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-06, 09:20 AM
If everyone keeps making fun of the OP, Roland will lock this.

he's probably going to lock it anyway.

Kaytara
2010-03-06, 09:57 AM

Exactly. They're all connected.

*It's a ciiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiiiiifeeeeee....*

Snake-Aes
2010-03-06, 10:10 AM
Exactly. They're all connected.

*It's a ciiiiiiircle of liiiiiiiiiiiiiifeeeeee....*
Night is the sleep of the sun!

Coming with the whistle of the wind there's a leaf dancing in the air
Floating, rounding, shining, laughing it comes changing colours and tearing in front of me

Suddenly it turns into a wild being
That sits on the ground - So quietly
Looking at me... it rises... So the creature starts to tell me this:

“Sometimes when you think everything's gone
No lights, reason, love or hope
Everything lost its sense
you feel down, want to leave it all...

Life is an old wheel
You must learn it soon
Wheel of transformations...
Everything goes and has their own purpose...”

Sometimes in, but sometimes out - never stand and still...
New horizons, that's the mysterious wheel
Cycles, roundings, time, birth, death chances to try again
That's a secret - Everything is turning

Welcome to this play my friend - most call it life
You have many ways to pick - but try choose the right.
What's right?

Night - is the sleep of the sun
Death of our light king
next day he rises again - The wheel completes its whole process
“What is alive must die - what dies must be harvested
What is Harvested must be seeded - The seeded must Rebirth”
Secrets of the Wheel...

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-03-06, 12:39 PM

When drawing stick figures, people tend to look the same.

T-O-E
2010-03-06, 12:45 PM
Now that you mention it, they do have the same head shape.

Snake-Aes
2010-03-06, 01:08 PM
Now that you mention it, they do have the same head shape.

And the same subtype!

Inhuman Bot
2010-03-06, 03:15 PM
So... How's it going, Roland?

As for Miko, she's dead, Jim.

Surprise!
2010-03-06, 03:43 PM
I do not believe the speculation is so impossible that it warrants so much ridicule.

For one, Niu's surname has been thus far withheld. For second, even if it is revealed as something entirely different it does not stretch my disbelief that they could be cousins to some degree.

To lazy to go archive swimming but IIRC Miko was an orphan accepted to a monastery. So a nuclear relation ship with Niu wouldn't make sense.

But if a group of people live in the same place long enough, pretty soon everyone is a cousin of some sort to everyone else.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 04:03 PM

They're all related.

Starscream
2010-03-06, 04:30 PM
They're all related.

Haley will not be happy to learn that she and Elan have a Luke/Leia thing going on.

Especially since the closest the party has to "gruff reluctant anti-hero" Han Solo is Belkar...

Orzel
2010-03-06, 04:40 PM
Ever notice that Niu's arms are as big and Roy's? She must have Str 18+ too!

Pyron
2010-03-06, 04:56 PM
Ever notice that Niu's arms are as big and Roy's? She must have Str 18+ too!

You're right. She looks like Miko but has Roy's arms. That means Niu is Miko and Roy's child - from the future!

Starscream
2010-03-06, 05:04 PM
You're right. She looks like Miko but has Roy's arms. That means Niu is Miko and Roy's child - from the future!

This is starting to sound very much like a conversation Elan would engage in.

Although, if you combined Roy's grumpy "Elan, shut up" expression with Miko's "Halt, evildoers!" expression, you would get something similar to Niu's look in the last panel...

ChowGuy
2010-03-06, 05:21 PM

Oh, now you're just channeling the Girl Genius Thread(s) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143909)!

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 07:17 PM
Haley will not be happy to learn that she and Elan have a Luke/Leia thing going on.

Especially since the closest the party has to "gruff reluctant anti-hero" Han Solo is Belkar...

I guess Chewbacca would be Durkon with Thor's Might.

El Llamita
2010-03-07, 12:16 AM
Ever notice how almost all Azurite soldiers look exactly the same?

Yeah... because they are asian.

ThePhantasm
2010-03-07, 12:28 AM
It would be an interesting twist if Niu was Miko's sister or something. Unlikely, but interesting.

Watcher
2010-03-07, 01:04 AM

What is this "Asia" you speak of? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0209.html)

Haven
2010-03-07, 01:45 AM
OP, I miss Miko sometimes too.

There's always this avatar, though. :3

Dr.Epic
2010-03-07, 01:51 AM
OP, I miss Miko sometimes too.

There's always this avatar, though. :3

That's Miko? What's that weird bumpy thing between her eyes? (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0339.html)

LuisDantas
2010-03-07, 08:11 AM
This thread got me thinking about how likely Thran would be to comment on an hypothetical resemblance between Niu and Miko.

Since Miko was well-known among the Azure City Paladins, one of whom is Thrawn, I assume that he would promptly spot the resemblance (if any).

But Miko is quite unlikely to be alive, much less operating under a new name and with much the same appearance among people who would recognize her. It is not impossible, but it would demand a fair chunck of behind-the-scenes plot, and I just don't get the vibe that the Giant wants to revisit Miko that much.

Come to think of it, how well-known were Miko and the Azure City Paladins in general among the general population? Didn't Hinjo claim early on that their Order was secret?

Kish
2010-03-07, 08:46 AM
I would guess that any Azure City citizen who put some work into checking demographics might have observed, "Huh, that's an oddly high concentration of paladins in our city," but the existence of the Order of the Sapphire Guard itself, as such, was secret.

(Incidentally, Thanh. Not Thran and especially not Grand Admiral Thrawn.)

El Llamita
2010-03-07, 11:00 AM
The fact that there are paladins doesn't mean there is a Guard to defend a gate. They are just high-rank soldiers in the mind of Azurites.

factotum
2010-03-07, 12:33 PM
But Miko is quite unlikely to be alive, much less operating under a new name and with much the same appearance among people who would recognize her.

And she's even LESS likely to have taken a level in Rogue (see strip #535).

Mariel Dragon
2010-03-07, 02:18 PM
Was Thanh's verbal 'attack' on Niu morally justified?

*runs*

LuisDantas
2010-03-07, 02:26 PM
And she's even LESS likely to have taken a level in Rogue (see strip #535).

I had forgotten that she first appeared at that strip. So now we would have to also explain why Belkar and Haley failed to recognize her, as well as her speech pattern, which is quite unlike Miko's.

Sorry for Miko fans, but Niu doesn't have more than a slight physical resemblance to Miko.

Asta Kask
2010-03-07, 02:37 PM
She could be a pod-being from planet ZZyrk.

factotum
2010-03-07, 02:59 PM
I had forgotten that she first appeared at that strip.

Actually, she first appeared during the attack to rescue the slaves in strip #511. By the time #535 rolled around she was a pretty well-established character.

Skeppio
2010-03-07, 08:18 PM
According to this gizmometer, Miko is dead and nothing will bring her back! Remarkable!
Anyhoo, this thread is a poorly disguised "I want Miko back, even though she was a psychopathic Knight Templar who's actions directly resulted in Xykon's victory in the battle for Azure City".
I cast Summon Moderator IX. Our choices are Balor St Jude or Celestial Dire Gunslinger.

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-09, 10:53 AM

Oh, so ALL Asian stick figures look alike, huh? Huh?

Kazumi: "I can't believe you slept with Niu!"
Daigo: "I'm sorry, honey. There was saki, & you know how hard it is to tell it wasn't you. I mean, we were already at it by the time I noticed the tattoo down there..."

:smallwink:

Snake-Aes
2010-03-09, 12:14 PM

Daigo: "I'm sorry, honey. There was saki, & you know how hard it is to tell it wasn't you. I mean, we were already at it by the time I noticed the tattoo down there..."

Sake.
<obligatory filler text>

Cizak
2010-03-09, 12:44 PM

Oh, you want the crack pairings thread. It's right down that hallway, can't miss it. You can stop for some acid for your brain in the lobby on the way.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-09, 03:08 PM
I cast Summon Moderator IX. Our choices are Balor St Jude or Celestial Dire Gunslinger.

Um...you do know that just because you don't like a thread doesn't mean it gets locked?

Skeppio
2010-03-10, 02:09 AM
Um...you do know that just because you don't like a thread doesn't mean it gets locked?

I thought those "I want X character back" threads were not allowed. Which this thread is, just under a shoddy "X character looks like Y character" disguise.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-10, 03:03 AM
I thought those "I want X character back" threads were not allowed. Which this thread is, just under a shoddy "X character looks like Y character" disguise.

I never heard of that announcement...I just knew that Fanclub fans were banned...and only on the OotS forum.

And yes, the thread was IS a "X character looks like Y character" thread, the OP just added a little extra by mentioning their love of Miko. The thread as stayed on topic by repeatedly pointing out that resembling a character has little to no connection with being related to said character, given the limits of stick-figure art.