PDA

View Full Version : New Kurn (IC)

KingRexII
2010-03-06, 01:35 AM
The announce of Oronis's renouncement of his status as the city's god and his commitment to a new way of life for all Kurnians occurred a mere days ago. He called not only for the citizens' cooperation, but also their silence; none were to speak of this or any goings-on in the months to come. Along with the message came a summons for help to create this new world that Oronis claims to want to build. The nets he casted spread even further than the walls of Kurn to the surrounding villages and roaming tribes near Kurn.

Kurn's initial response to the decree was sadly disappointing. Its citizens didn't believe the templars' words when they broadcasted Oronis's message. (The sorceror-king himself, of course, did not make the announcement; he never left the safety of his palace.) Most assumed it was some trick while most merely ignored it. And for the past couple of days, this "new, free" Kurn continued to run just like any other city-state. The slaves still toiled under their master's orders, and the gladiatorial arena held their matches as usual. Merchants guilds fought with each other while the poor and hungry stayed poor and hungry. The only real noticeable difference was the templars. They still kept their grim watch over the people of Kurn, but some might have noticed that their behavior seemed slightly softer than usual. No one had been randomly search nor had their possessions been seized without reason. The stocks and jails were remarkably emptier than usual, and the templars kept to themselves unless they actively spotted an infraction of the law. For the rest of Kurn, however, it was business as usual.

And this is how we find our heroes. They are the first, and so far only, ones to answer Oronis's call for help. The summons' instructions were simple -- those who wish to help need only to come to the palace and state their intentions. Of course, it is not so simple as most people know that the only ones that see the inside of the palace are Oronis's templars and those that are never seen again. Still, for one reason or another, you believe that Oronis speaks the truth, and you go seek him out.

The palace's entrance is built on where the old elven Kurn's government used to stand. Its pillars stand as the palace's facade, and the cross beam that sits atop of those pillars still have old elven carved into it. In bold, block letters, those who can read the elven tongue can see what those pillar used to stand for: "Freedom". As each of you walk up the stairs leading to the large ponderous door of the palace, you are greeted by a particularly young human templar. His teenage face does not show the hardness that his comrades show, and his enthusiasm and love for Oronis seems genuine. "My lord has been expecting you. You may wait here until all six of you have arrived." He leads you to a small vestibule to await the arrival of the others.

OOC:

All right! Please introduce your character as you see fit. Once everyone arrives, I'll show you to the big man himself. Also, for visualization's sake, the architecture of the elven Kurn, upon which the current Kurn is built, is similar to our own Greek architecture.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-06, 06:49 AM
Vrick

The Halfling was the first to arrive, evidently. At least, there was no one else in the Vestibule when he was lead to it. He had come to Palace immedietely upon reaching Kurn, disdaining associating himself with the populace any more then he had to. Halflings were curious folk by nature, and many thought much about the strange ways of the Big Folk. Some few even left the Forests to see what there was to discover. Vrick was not one of those. He was here because he had a duty to perform, no matter the cost.

I'll accomplish what I am here to do, no matter the cost.

Vrick hadn't spoken to the Templar, just nodding and waiting, pulling a small bit of dried Flesh from his pack, and chewing on it while the fellow lead Vrick through the halls of the Palace. Vrick's eyes moved constantly, flickering to study each person they passed, showing no interest in fixtures of the palace. He disliked Dried Meat. He much preferred it soft, and tender, and still fresh. However, like many things in life, Vrick took whatever indignities he had to. He was left in the Vestibule, still not having spoken to the Templar. Left alone, the Halfling walked to a corner and sat down, chewing. The Halfling was clad in leathers, dyed a dappled brown and grey. His hair was long and lank, hanging around his face in a brown, messy tangle. His arms and legs have a strange green and red pattern traced over them, an incomplete pattern that vanishes under the Leather he wears. However, the most noticable factor was the odd things one saw when the looked at him. The Belt that looked like a Cactus had grown around him, Thorns and all. The sense one got looking at him, that there was Feylaar somehow standing behind him, though there was nothing there. It is strange and disconcerting. The Halfling does little to alter this, his eyes locking onto the first person to enter the room, and then flickering between them as more people entered. All the time, chewing on that strip of Flesh he had pulled out of his bag.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-06, 12:06 PM
Windripper

As Windripper advanced through the city to the vaulting temple he noted that the very air had seemed to calm itself. No longer were the citizens on edge as a stranger walked through their midst, and even the temple itself seemed more inviting then it had previously. As he climbed the stairs toward the temple entrance he noted the young human that stood guard; a human that was possibly even younger than the pterran was himself.

"I am here for the earth savior's call, where shalt I go to expect his instructions?"

Having been lead to the main vestibule, Windripper moved to the far corner from the halfling already present and covering himself with a billowing cloak of gold and tawny feathers took a seat to watch and wait. It was already obvious that something was happening, as the small carnivores rarely left their groups without some calling from on high, and the air around this one reeked of a power beyond even that Windripper's mother commanded.

Kensen
2010-03-06, 01:14 PM
Altair

The third to arrive was a male human in his late twenties. Wearing a fashionable, dark blue outfit and iron and silver jewelry, it was obvious that he was a noble. His black hair was tied neatly in a ponytail and his pale blue eyes were full of confidence. His eyes had an unsettling quality to them; it seemed as though they could stare straight into your soul.

He regarded the templar with a respectful bow.

[Altair has a feeling that there's more to the templar than meets the eye. He'll use Sense Motive (+10) vs DC 20 to make a gut assessment about the templar.]

Altair entered the vestibule and was somewhat surprised to see a halfling and pterran there, but he hid it well.

"I am Altair of House Haya. Pleased to make your acquaintance," he said with a confident smile.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-06, 01:30 PM
Windripper

"Windripper Dsar," The pterran says, nodding in the humans direction. "May we all hope that this calling is as the earth mother intended. Now I assume that like myself the small one is being guided by the spirits to accomplish what this Oronis claims to desire, what may I ask is your reason for joining such a quest?"

Kensen
2010-03-06, 01:44 PM
Altair

The earth mother? Spirits? Altair spent a moment considering what the lizard person had said.

"As a citizen of Kurn, I represent the city itself. What's in the best interest of Oronis is in also in my interests. I am curious to hear how wastelanders such as yourselves are tied to the destiny of Kurn. The spirits guide you to help Oronis, but to what end?"

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-06, 01:44 PM
Vrick did not respond to the introduction. He cared very little for these two, unless they happened to be Orionis in disguise. However, the words from the Pterran got a smile from the Halfling. What the reason for it was he didn't reveal, but the Halfling did smile. But it faded quickly, and he resumed chewing his strip of dried meat, and staring at the two people in the room with him.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-06, 03:58 PM
Windripper

"He seeks to found a new home," Windripper says, "It is only a matter of whether he tries to do so within the means of the planet. I shall seek to aid him in forming such a home, and to direct that new home in the ways of the path of life rather than the path of decay that has been so common until now."

KingRexII
2010-03-06, 10:40 PM
@Kensen:

Sense Motive check: This templar is indeed different from any other that he's met in the city. All of them believe in Oronis's power, but most only really want the power for selfish reasons. They don't care about Oronis's intentions or desires; they follow orders merely out of lust for power and greed or fear of retribution. This templar, however, really believes in Oronis. You sense that he would follow Oronis to whatever path he leads them and that his faith in him is incorruptible.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-07, 12:57 AM
Láma'erëo
An elven girl walks in, leather armor a curious construction - as if someone had tried to fashion plate mail out of leather instead of steel. It seemed articulated, sort of, the way plate might be, but the plates themselves were too supple, moved too freely.

Strapped to her hips, on either side a long sword thrust through leather scabbards, light and fitted with impossibly perfect obsidian shards - each matching the next exactly, to create a very nearly straight blade along either side of the wooden core. Ornate handles of wood, bone, and leather jut out, and her hands rest on these.

She walks with a light, casual air, supremely confident. She nods to each of the guards, a kind of informal salute respecting their position, and a deeper nod to the templar. Nothing obeisant, nothing submissive, merely a professional acknowledgment of the others' presence and skills.

Turning to her companions, she gave a flourish, drawing both swords in an acrobatic display that ended with her bowing, swords tucked under her, points away from everyone. She rose, bringing one sword vertical in front of her face, before sheathing both. Speaking in the local language, more Elven than the language of Man, though she doubted that her audience knew that, "I am Láma'erëo City Watcher, the inevitable echo, the taker of steel, the victor of one hundred and thiry-eight individual combats with hardened warriors. I seek to return Kurn to its former glory and its founders to their rightful place."

Kensen
2010-03-07, 05:03 AM
Altair

Altair greets the girl with a slight nod and "Well met, warrior" in the Elven tongue. He switches back to Kurnan as he continues: "I'm sure your kin will find their place in a new Kurn, more glorious than ever."

Realizing that the young templar was not like the ones he'd met before, Altair became more convinced that Oronis's plan was indeed not a ruse. However, a healthy amount of paranoia had kept him alive all these years, and therefore he remained alert. Oronis's guards had allowed the guests to walk in with their weapons, even unsheathe them. For all he knew, these wastelanders could be assassins, seeking to liberate Kurn in another way than what Oronis had in mind. Or they could be agents of a rival sorcerer-king. Yes, he would have to keep a very close eye on them...

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-07, 05:52 AM
The Halfling watched the Elf's display without any visible reaction, just observing. Truth be told, he wasn't impressed. Very pretty, but utterly meaningless. As for her tale of victory in combats, again, Vrick wasn't impressed. That you won never was all that impressive. How you won was. At the words from the human, Vrick blinked once, thinking.

That would be nice. The Pointy Eared Big Folk who wander the Desert are the least civilized. Occasionally, they enter the forest. However, they usually taste good.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-07, 06:22 PM
Windripper

"A meaningless demonstration fair one," Windripper says, glaring at the elf. "One that fights for pleasure is little more than a barbarian, and to flaunt such ability is truly disgusting."

He then shuttered slightly before looking at the halfling and asking, "Though the act of eating another is rather gross, I must know what is so special about the taste of such flesh."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-07, 06:25 PM
The Hafling considers the Pterran's words for a moment, before arriving at his decision. It was a simple one, in the end. He still didn't feel like talking, but he could at least answer the Pterran. He reaches into his bag, and holds out another strip of Dried Meat, source unidentifiable.

If he's truly curious, let him find out.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-07, 06:29 PM
Windripper

The pterran had to look away for a moment, suppressing the urge to vomit before he replied, "Thank you but no... I had known I would regret asking, you only confirmed such a feeling."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-07, 06:32 PM
The Halfling shrugged, returning to the dried meat to his bag, and continuing his staring. He didn't understand. It was just meat. The Heart was different, but even that was just what it was. There was no reason to let it go to waste. He'd heard the Scaled Big Folk were more comprehensible then the others, but this one seemed as strange as the rest.

Leon
2010-03-07, 09:20 PM
Greetings

Quietly approaching during the display and discussion is a tall Mul with a stony complexion, stopping a short distance away to lean on a large hammer.

I am Jurgan Rothrock, Blessed of the Earth

DragoonWraith
2010-03-07, 10:00 PM
Láma'erëo
"Hah! Life is short, glory shorter. It's all just a game and flourishes and dancing. I fight for myself and I fight for my tribe, for these are the same. I fight in the arenas to show you who are the true city-zens of Kurn. My tribe was thrown out, slain by the kin of the one who would turn his back on his brethren. He means for this city to be great? It was great, a long time ago, and he and his have much to atone for. He means to do it? Then I mean to hold him to it! We have left and we have watched, and we will watch longer still. Some watch from the dunes, some watch from what's left of the forest, and some, some watch from the palace's vestibule. I think I've got the best seat in the house!"

Kensen
2010-03-08, 03:42 AM
Altair couldn't help but wonder if the elf girl saw the irony in her own words. While so vehemently opposed to the system the sorcerer-king had built, she had subjected herself to one of the cruelest inventions of the sorcerer-kings, the gladiatoral games. Surely, slavery would be abolished first if Oronis really meant what his templars had told to the people, but the blood sports would follow close behind.

As for the halfling, Altair didn't know what to think of him yet. He seemed like the type who wants to get the job done and go back home. Halflings were infamous for the potent poisons they coated their weapons with, their stealth, and their eating habits. Undoubtedly a useful ally in the forest terrain this halfling, but Altair would never, ever turn his back for one second when the little fellow was around.

The pterran seemed to be the most level-headed one of Altair's new... acquaintances. Altair found it curious that the lizard-like savage would probably be the most reliable of the bunch.

Altair turned to regard the fifth person to enter. A slave-bred human-dwarf? A couple of muls had served House Haya as bodyguards. But judging by what the mul was wearing, he was not a slave or gladiator.

"I did not expect that Oronis would summon such a diverse group to help him, but if our talents are as varied as our backgrounds, we are formidable indeed," Altair said, with a hint of humor in his tone. "Save for the elven warrior who already displayed her talent, I am curious to hear what you can do."

Cuaqchi
2010-03-08, 05:16 AM
Windripper

"I am a hunter and scout," Windripper says, hoping that his own response might draw something from the human. "At home within both verdant forest and barren wasteland I can provide whatever sustenance might be required if we are to travel, while also providing security from many types of foul beasts created by the other false gods."

Kensen
2010-03-08, 05:51 AM
Altair offered the pterran an approving smile. "Excellent, I am pleased to learn that an individual of your talent has joined the cause." Sensing that the pterran was equally curious to hear why a noble wanted to risk his life to help others, Altair continued: "I am familiar with the customs and etiquette of city-dwellers, and trained in the art of negotiation, so I believe I'll be useful when dealing with Kurnans or denizens of other city-states. Also, I am a student of the Way."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-08, 07:22 AM
Vrick thought for a moment, and then shrugged again. It appeared these 4 (there was supposed to be another one, but Vrick wasn't much concerned about that) were all here to answer the Sorcerer-King's call.

"Same as the Scaled One."

Vrick spoke for the first time. His accent was obvious when he spoke, covering it with overtones of the language of the Halflings.

"...as well as other things."

The Halfling was intentionally being mysterious. The Spirits of the Wild were his allies, not his slaves, and he would not call upon their power to impress a couple of fools.

"The Pointy Eared one should cease speaking. She is the Squirrel chattering endlessly."

Vrick hushed up again, having said his piece. He had no respect for the boasts of the Pointy Eared Big Folk, and them speaking about their heritage was laughable.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-08, 02:01 PM
Láma'erëo
Láma'erëo laughed. "The squirrel chatters but also it stores nuts in preparation for famine. It does what needs to be done, what call have you to chide it for enjoying its time?"

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-08, 02:10 PM
The Halfling looked at the Elf. Evidently, she didn't know the other half of the parable.

"Because, Pointy Eared One, the Owl is listening."

DragoonWraith
2010-03-08, 02:51 PM
Láma'erëo
"Ah, then I suppose that's as far as our comparison goes, then - I'm not afraid of the owl."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-08, 02:52 PM
"Neither is the Squirrel, at least until it feels the Talons."

DragoonWraith
2010-03-08, 03:09 PM
Láma'erëo
"Those are some funny squirrels you've got. The ones I've seen are afraid of every damn thing."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-08, 03:11 PM
"Squirrels aren't very smart. They don't fear what they cannot see, and do not understand."

DragoonWraith
2010-03-08, 03:12 PM
Láma'erëo
"So, are you supposed to be the owl? Owls are typically larger than squirrels, you know.

"Or did you mean the good king? I'm sure his depraved magics could destroy me without much effort at all, but would he use them now? If so, then he is a sham and my death would be a trifle by comparison; that is a good death, to show Kurn his true colors, be they black."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-08, 03:14 PM
The Halfling shrugged. The Elf would be wiser for wondering then being told. If she was truly wise, then she would guess that it was all of them at once. However, if she was truly wise, they wouldn't be having this conversation.

Kensen
2010-03-08, 03:47 PM
Altair didn't recognize the names of the animals elf and halfling were talking about; the woods were, after all, rather dangerous places to go for a walk, and Altair wasn't particularly interested in wild animals anyway. But it hardly mattered, he was satisfied that the halfling had finally started talking. He was a little worried though that the savages might start fighting in the vestibule. While it might be entertaining to watch, it could jeopardize the entire mission.

EDIT: There, changed it a little. :smallsmile:

Leon
2010-03-08, 09:57 PM
I do Pottery and small order stone masonry, but that is not why i am here - that would be my link to the Lands and the spirits within all that fall under the distinction of being Earthen

Cuaqchi
2010-03-08, 10:05 PM
Windripper

"I must again side with small one," Windripper said, sizing up the elf as he spoke. "And if he is not to be the owl then I will be. If you flaunt around beyond the walls of this city like the world owes you, you shall be left behind and perish before the moon has completed a full cycle."

Then turning to Altair he takes a short bow, dipping his shoulders only enough to display the array of weapons tied beneath his cloak as he spoke presented himself properly. "If you follow the Path of the Mind I may in time seek your aid for something my people oft' ignore. My female hatchmate is strong in the ways of the mind, and if you prove yourself worthy my family may wish for you to train her."

DragoonWraith
2010-03-08, 10:49 PM
Láma'erëo
"Heh, ya'll don't know elves very well, do you? Trust me, I know when to keep quiet. Ain't a one of us who doesn't know how to get where we're not wanted. I'll not be messing up your carefully laid plans with foolishness; there's a time and place for everything, right? Here is a time and place for introductions and idle talk and proud boasts. Then may be a time and place for quiet creeping, or serious business, or simple, unfettered survival - don't think I don't know the difference."

Torco
2010-03-09, 12:47 AM
Then enters a large figure, muscled and yet of an apparently fragile build, covered in scars of blades and of whips, visible because he's wearing little but pants, a blackened breastplate of chitin and wood, and a large, heavy black cape with a hood which covers his face. He wears many pieces of jewelery and carries a few weapons of diverse sizes, from which it can be inferred that he's a combatant of sorts. He steps up to where everyone else is and stands there, perhaps listening to the conversation. He will slightly raise his head to anyone who crosses eyes with him, acknowledging his presence, but otherwise will remain like a gray stone statue.

OOC- Sorry, I was a bit busy these past days and wasn't paying attention to the OOC thread, the DM had to point me to this one. Hi everyone!

Kensen
2010-03-09, 02:12 AM
Altair

Though he doubted he'd ever visit the pterran lands, he replied in his ever diplomatic manner: "If the opportunity presents itself, I'll teach your sister a thing or two about channeling the energies of the mind."

Another mul, Altair thought as the second mul arrived. Feels like home. He almost chuckled as he thought about the mul bodyguards in the service of House Haya who were so fiercely loyal to their masters that they had refused to leave when the templars had broadcast Oronis's edict. Or perhaps the years of psionic mind control had left them unable to think for themselves. Either way, Altair considered it wise not to dicuss the matter with these two muls.

"Let's go in, shall we?"

Torco
2010-03-09, 08:07 AM
- Indeed

The Mul's voice is deep-sounding yet soft, and contrasts with his harsh appearance.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-09, 08:41 AM
Windripper

"Lead on Altair," The pterran adds, directing forward. "I would rather not reveal my back to those that claim to be allies before I must. This is your realm demonstrate your skills."

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-09, 08:43 AM
The Halfling rises, and picks up his bag, finally swallowing the last bit of meat he had been chewing on. He looks at Altair inquiringly, but more thinking about Windripper. The Pterran, perhaps, was a little bit more understandable then the others.

Perhaps the Scaled ones are not quite so foolish. Just about food.

Kensen
2010-03-09, 09:31 AM
Altair

Altair wanted to sigh deeply - the idea of entering a sorcerer-king's throne room with savages and ex-slaves behind his back didn't seem very appealing to him. But he did his best to appear calm and confident.

[taking 10 on Knowledge (nobility & royalty) and Diplomacy]

Before entering, Altair tried to motivate the heroes not to show their resentment while in Oronis's presence: "Let's hear what he has to say. Although his past behavior has garnered much notoriety, his current agenda may benefit us all, and the peoples we represent."

Having said that, Altair led the group into the room that the templar had instructed them to go to.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-09, 09:47 AM
Láma'erëo
Láma'erëo strode confidently into the throne room alongside the others. She kept an eye on Vrick, but more to show that she was than because she was worried about him trying something here. She also wore a huge smirk on her face.

Leon
2010-03-09, 10:55 AM
Jurgan shoulders his gear and proceeds along after the others

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-09, 12:59 PM
The Halfling follows, his eyes darting back and forth as he walks, watching everything that passes. Altair's request with no reaction from the Halfling, leaving whether he approved of the Sentiment epxressed or not in doubt.

KingRexII
2010-03-09, 03:20 PM
Walking through the door, you find yourselves curiously outside. The door stays open and shows you the inside of the vestibule, but the space behind the door is merely more of the outside. A harsh, raspy voice speaks in your heads, "Bold to move about the palace so freely! First -- a test before meeting my lord. Act wisely."

You are at the bottom of a cliff. On the same level as you is an middle-aged human with a gnarled staff and black robes. On top of the cliff is a dwarf, clad in an emblazoned armor and wielding an atlatl. You are in time to see him fling a javelin at the human. He misses, and his projectile shatters on the hard ground.

The dwarf yells down to you, "I donnae know who ye are, but help me capture this vile wizard, and my lord'll surely reward ya!"

The human counters, "No! This templar dog has wrongfully imprisoned my wife! If we capture him, we can trade him for my beloved Clarisse."

[OOC:

Please roll initiative, even if you're not joining the combat. For just this combat, I'm restricting the free action of talking to 30 words per round as you may be able to solve this little mystery with just speaking. The restriction holds for the NPCs as well.

You may choose a starting position anywhere there is an X on the map, put please choose different starting positions.

Map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tk1sNMWJP8bwIDsQXvsqgWA&single=true&gid=0&output=html)
]

KingRexII
2010-03-09, 04:55 PM
@DragoonWraith:

I'm assuming you wanted to use sense motive on both the human and the dwarf. I rolled a second time for the dwarf. (It came up as 11 total on the dwarf.)

Láma'erëo senses no deception in either of their words.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-09, 05:19 PM
Láma'erëo
To the group, "I can't hear any lies in their words..."

Shouting out to the pair, "Both of you, come here and we'll sort this mess!

"Running away or further attacks will be taken as a confession!"

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-09, 05:31 PM
Starting Position K20.

The Halfling looked between the two, shrugged, and sat down. He didn't care what the outcome was.

"Tell me if one of them needs killing. I'm not much interested otherwise."

The Halfling was not about to get involved. There were a few things that would get Vrick to care. He'd heard about Slavery. Even for the big folk, that was barbaric. But this case seemed like something he wasn't really able to analyze.

Torco
2010-03-09, 06:02 PM
O-19

Init [roll0]

- Stand Down, both of you, says Lastur, keeping his hands crossed on his chest, his face still hidden in the hood.

Kensen
2010-03-09, 06:43 PM
Altair - M18

Altair notices the patch of lifeless ground in front of the wizard. Altair is quite convinced that the dwarf speaks the truth, but wants to hear the whole story before deciding what to do. "Dwarf! I believe you. The defiled ground proves that you speak the truth. We will kill the wizard if he so much as moves a muscle. Come down here and tell us what happened here."

[If rolls are necessary, make them for me.]

Readied action: If the wizard makes arcane gestures or tries to run, Altair manifests Grease (Reflex DC 16) in I10-J11.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-09, 09:21 PM
Drawing his thanak Windripper moved to take a position beside his human ally, and pointing at the wizard with the saw bladed sword asked. "If the ash field is your doing, speak now sorcerer."

Initiative [roll0] Standing, Weapon Drawn in Square M18

DragoonWraith
2010-03-09, 09:38 PM
Láma'erëo
"Wait, you honestly think Orionis's test is going to be that obvious?"

KingRexII
2010-03-09, 10:00 PM
The dwarf responds, "Too dangerous -- take 'im out first, questions later!"

The human grunts in frustration, realizing that he is quickly becoming outnumbered. "No, fools! Why would you believe these corrupt heathens!"

@Kensen:

For the human, Altair cannot tell if he serves a sorceror-king, but the templar's symbol on his armor states that he is a servant of Kalak, the sorceror-king of Tyr.

@Cuaqchi:

FYI - I placed Windripper on N18 as M18's already been taken by Altair.

Leon
2010-03-09, 10:58 PM
Stopping at M20 to deposit gear
Move to K18

Sense Motive Dwarf [roll0]
Sense Motive Human [roll1]

Initiative [roll2]

Stopping just inside the door, Jurgan places his gear to the side before moving forwards to next to the elf.

By the dust that lies here we should strike you down but i am partial to giving you a say for i have not seen you ruin this earth yet your location to it is damming, I ask that both parties come closer to me and we shall find what lay at the heart of this

by closer i mean within 20ft

Torco
2010-03-09, 11:24 PM
Lastur steps in between them both, offering one flank to each and mindful of the movements of everyone, much more so than of the words said. He will not raise his head from the hood, but will uncross his hands, just in case.

KingRexII
2010-03-10, 12:31 AM
@Torco:

Lastur steps in between them both, offering one flank to each and mindful of the movements of everyone, much more so than of the words said. He will not raise his head from the hood, but will uncross his hands, just in case.

Who do you mean by 'both'? Can you please specify a grid coordinate?

Kensen
2010-03-10, 02:02 AM
Altair

Although the elf was probably right - the test wasn't as simple as that - Altair wanted rebuke her for not playing along as the rest of the group had done. Had Altair been fully convinced of that the human was a defiler, he would have attacked him mercilessly. But no, that wasn't the case. He simply wanted to make the dwarf trust them enough to cease attacking, perhaps even to make him climb down the cliff.

And the dwarf had indeed stopped attacking. They had managed to buy enough time for the mul to move closer to the human, thus making it difficult for the dwarf to harm him with ranged attacks.

Altair realized that the dwarf was a Tyrian templar. Thus he spoke: "You have no authority here. Kill the human without sound evidence and you shall be brought to trial for murder."

To Lastur, he spoke: "Can you search the human? A wizard carries a pouch for spell components, or a spellbook, or both."

Torco
2010-03-10, 02:47 AM
OOC.- I guess M10 would do perfectly well. Between them.

- You are not in a position to make requests, dwarf, the aggressor is you. Measure your words carefully, or else

Lastur walks up to the wizard. [k-10]

- Stand down, you are safe now. Resistance would be folly, Please stand still.

His speech is grave and serious, as if every word was carefully selected by one who speaks as little as he can. He walks up the wizard and, if the wizard would stand down, searches him.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-10, 09:04 AM
Láma'erëo
Láma'erëo also moves forward, hoping to keep enough distance between she and Lastur that spells would have to target one or the other and therefore give the wizard away if he was one and tried it, and then moving to meet Lastur at the wizard if that ends up happening, so they can both react should he try spellcasting.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-10, 09:55 AM
Vrick stands up. He'd been slow to miss the patch of defiled ground, but now that it had been pointed out, he supposed he did have an interest in this fight. Those who elected to use that kind of magic deserved no quarter, no mercy. They weren't even worthy of being eaten.

"If you are correct, and this Human is one who defiles the earth, we should just kill him."

The Halfling stretched his arms over his head, and smiled viciously at the Wizard, moving toward him while skirting the ash.

Stand, move to J14.

KingRexII
2010-03-10, 10:46 AM
[Round 1-ish (at least to the PCs)]

Laster and Láma'erëo coordinate to stand between the human and dwarf, but neither quite make it to their destination. They blink out of sight. Altair, Jurgan, Windripper and Vrick are left to figure out what happened.

@Leon, Cuaqchi:

The same raspy voice echoes in their head, "Talking only gets you so far. What then if the time for talking has past? It is then that we show our true mettle."

@Kensen, Tacky:

The same raspy voice echoes in their head, "Guilty until proven innocent? Such is the way of the wastes, and yet where has it gotten us?"

Both the human and the dwarf don't react to the others' sudden disappearance. Additionally, they seem to ignore the group's pleas to stop fighting. The human begins to twirl his staff defensively. The remaining four don't see any signs of spellcasting, and yet they realize that someone attempted and failed to cast a spell on them. Then, both the human and the dwarf begin to cast a spell.

Altair reacts immediately when he sees the human beginning to chant. He manifests grease underneath him, hoping to slip him up, but the caster just barely avoids the initial effects. He's able to hold onto his spell, and as he finishes, he says, "If you will not help, then stay out of this!" A handful of sand thrown in their direction becomes a wall rising from the ground, obscuring their view of the human. It stands 10' high so it does not obstruct their view of the templar. (Though Vrick might have some issues being so close to the wall.)

"My authority is absolute wherever I stand!" the dwarf says to the four as he finishes casting his spell. He points his finger, presumably at the human, and says, "Die, defiler!" A bolt of lightning springs from his fingertip to a point behind the curtain of sand. You hear a scream and then smell burnt flesh.

[OOC:

End of Round 1-ish. Round 2 actions, please.

Initiative:
Windripper - 20
Vrick - 15
Jurgan - 4
Altair - 4 (Init dropped due to triggered readied action)
Human NPC
Dwarf NPC

Updated map (http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=tk1sNMWJP8bwIDsQXvsqgWA&single=true&gid=0&output=html).
]

==================
@DW, Torco:

The raspy voice speaks in your mind, "Few possess the bravery to stand between unbending law and wanton chaos, both of which are prevalent on Athas, and yet you two have shown your true mettle. Hopefully, your courage will not lead to your death one day." After a pause, the voice declares, "You have passed."

The two's world suddenly changes from the desolate and rocky desert to a sparse orchard. It looks like they're back in Kurn, but this exact location is unfamiliar to them.

There to greet them is the same dwarven templar from the previous world. Though his demeanor is just as grim, the symbol on his armor is different. The other difference is that this dwarf wears a crystal around his neck. While you two are still slightly dazed by the change in scenery, he speaks with a clear, deep voice without an accent, "My lord apologizes for the trickery, but he wants to make sure that his champions truly have the valor to stand up to Athas's extreme forces. Please wait here, and your companions should be joining you shortly."

Torco
2010-03-10, 12:00 PM
Lastur nods slightly, understanding the point of the test as well as the need for it. The idea that both wanton chaos and unbending law must be opposed brought back dear memories, and deep pain. He finds solace in his surroundings; a garden of trees is a welcome change from the neverending wastes.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-10, 12:28 PM
Vrick looked up at the sky, and sighed. This most likely wasn't real. Orionis was a powerful Magic user, his master had informed him. He was supposed to conform to the Sorcerers whims, or he'd just be kept here. The pointy eared one, and one of the stout ones had done it, or failed.

"Guilty, innocent, your words. I do what has to be done. I don't like games. If you want something done, tell me to do it."

Vrick sighed, returning back to his original position. He sat down, and sighed.

Cuaqchi
2010-03-10, 01:28 PM
Windripper

As the wall of sand rose up infront of him Windripper took little time to consider his actions running forward to vault over the wall of sand and place himself within reach of the difiler. As he landed on the far side he turned to look at the wizard and said, "I would complement you on the effort but this only delays your demise."

High Jump [roll0] -> 6ft + Vertical reach > 10ft; Climb Up - DC 15 [roll1]; Falling Over the Lip [roll2]; Move to N12

DragoonWraith
2010-03-10, 01:46 PM
Láma'erëo
"Huh, well, I didn't quite expect that. Courage I've got, I figured there'd be more test of discretion... I've got that too, but folk seem to think I'm a swaggering fool without any just cuz I like to live a little.

"Speaking of living a little, this is a nice place you've got here! This is what Orionis hopes for, then? It's been a long time, and my people remember... We remember because our past is our present. This moment includes every moment of every elf in my tribe, and I carry them with me, as do we all. We remember... that Kurn was not as nice as this, when the Slayer came. Orionis has much to atone for, but this... this would do that and more..."

Kensen
2010-03-10, 02:31 PM
Altair

Altair frowned as he saw that his plan didn't work. If the mage was still alive, the pterran would take care of him, so there was only the dwarf to deal with.

Altair hated it he didn't know what Oronis wanted him to do. Uncertainty and not being in control angered him. If the disappearance of his new allies had meant that they had been successful, it had been through sheer luck, he thought. He decided to improvise.

[Altair manifests a circular wall of energy (electricity) just 5' in diameter around the dwarf. He chooses that the energy radiates outwards, so that it won't harm the dwarf unless he decides to move, in which case he takes 2d6 electricity damage (Ref 20 half) twice, once for passing through the wall and a second time for standing within the range of the effect. The wall is opaque, so he cannot see anyone else, making targeting spells or attacks difficult.]

Altair's pale blue eyes glowed as the psionic energy flowed through him. His diplomatic tone was gone: "Then stand where you are. That is the absolute extent of your authority."

Leon
2010-03-10, 11:24 PM
If the time for talking is past then the time for Brute force has begun

Jurgan charges upto the wall intent on smashing through

Torco
2010-03-11, 01:08 AM
- People can change... they choose not to - is Lastur's laconic answer to Láma'erëo's words. He decides to do something he hasn't done in years; he smells the fruit.