PDA

View Full Version : Comic Crime novels

golentan
2010-03-06, 01:45 AM
So, I've been a fan of the Dortmunder series by Donald Westlake for evah. Sure, it had its low points (Road to Ruin, I'm looking at you), but overall it's a ripsnorting good time.

Sadly, Messier Westlake is no longer with us. :smallfrown: Leaving me with a hole in my heart I'd normally fill with the escapades of John Dortmunder and his alter ego John Diddums* which I cannot fill. The one book released posthumously only peaked my interest in more. There are two novels I haven't read, but only because I haven't tracked them down (They're out of print).

So, if anyone else enjoyed the stellar run of this series, and wishes to commiserate, this would be the place to do so. And if anyone has similar, light hearted books with a cast of lovable rogues of dubious character in hilarious hijinks, please let me know.

And if you hated them, you can say so here, and we will not overly lambast you for being wrong. If you saw the movie version of "What's the Worst that Could Happen?" try not to judge to harshly. After murdering the plot, characters, and soul of the books they then tried to sue the author for the intellectual property thereof. :smallfurious:

*It's welsh.

chiasaur11
2010-03-06, 02:17 AM
Humorous crime novels?

Have you ever read the Dexter series?

Note: Comedy may, in fact, be dark. Comedy may, in fact, be so dark that light is incapable of escaping the service. Comedy may, in fact, make an average citizen of the Imperium of Man say "Sure, it's funny, but is it in good taste?" Still. "Boo". I laughed.

golentan
2010-03-06, 02:23 AM
Humorous crime novels?

Have you ever read the Dexter series?

Note: Comedy may, in fact, be dark. Comedy may, in fact, be so dark that light is incapable of escaping the service. Comedy may, in fact, make an average citizen of the Imperium of Man say "Sure, it's funny, but is it in good taste?" Still. "Boo". I laughed.

Ye... No. Lovable rogues, not vaguely sympathetic mass murderers. Heist books. Bernie Rhodenbarr by Laurence Block is kind of an example, though those are more mysteries and less hijinky...

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 02:47 AM
They're the Watchmen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w)

chiasaur11
2010-03-06, 02:53 AM
Ye... No. Lovable rogues, not vaguely sympathetic mass murderers. Heist books. Bernie Rhodenbarr by Laurence Block is kind of an example, though those are more mysteries and less hijinky...

Figured as much. Just wanted a little joke there

Hmm. Dang, I think I do dig this kind of thing, but no examples spring to mind. I mean, Dave Barry's two novels kinda sorta almost hit those notes, but not really.

YorickBrown
2010-03-06, 03:12 AM
Jinx & Goldfish by Brian Michael Bendis

that's more of the "COMIC" aspect but still humorous crime stories

Finn Solomon
2010-03-06, 07:35 AM
100 Bullets, anyone?

Selrahc
2010-03-06, 07:39 AM
100 Bullets, anyone?

It's not really humorous.

Erts
2010-03-06, 01:24 PM
They're the Watchmen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w)

Well, if you haven't read Watchmen, this is going to not be funny, seem kinda weird, and might give some spoilers if you pay close attention. (Don't!)

But the Dr. is right. Watchmen is a great Comic Crime Novels, and is considered by some the greatest Comic Book of all time. (Note, some. Not all. Don't want to start a flame war.)

EDIT:
Of course, if you want light hearted... You should probably stay away from Watchmen. Still, I highly recommend it.

golentan
2010-03-06, 02:19 PM
Read watchmen, and loved it, but... not quite what I'm looking for.

So, Jinx and Goldfish, and the Dave Barry Novels sound like a good place to start.

Erts
2010-03-06, 02:30 PM
Read watchmen, and loved it, but... not quite what I'm looking for.

So, Jinx and Goldfish, and the Dave Barry Novels sound like a good place to start.

What about watching Batman: The Brave and the Bold? It's a campy throwback to the 60s, and is much Lighter and Softer than current comics, but it includes modern storylines. Very light hearted and funny.

golentan
2010-03-06, 02:41 PM
What about watching Batman: The Brave and the Bold? It's a campy throwback to the 60s, and is much Lighter and Softer than current comics, but it includes modern storylines. Very light hearted and funny.

Well, again... I'm looking for novels (preferably written word) with the criminal as the protagonist and a lighter bent. Batman is... not so much, being kinda anti-criminal, and pulling off very few heists.

The Titular Dortmunder in my OP is a mid 40s grumpy old man, and a versatile master thief. He and his gang of miscreants run around New York (and occasionally parts beyond), pulling off very well planned and well executed burglaries that tend to go horribly, horribly wrong. To give an example, in his first story he has to steal an emerald, and he succeeds... sort of. So he has to steal it again, and again, a total of 7 times, getting more and more ludicrous each time (my favorite instance being when they break into the police station to get access to the Drunk tank).

JonestheSpy
2010-03-06, 02:43 PM
Not exactly "crime" novels, but the late great Douglas Adams wrote two surreal mystery novels, Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency and its sequel, The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Very funny, if not quite as gut-busting as the Hitchhiker series, and definitely worth reading.

golentan
2010-03-06, 02:46 PM
Not exactly "crime" novels, but the late great Douglas Adams wrote two surreal mystery novels, Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency and its sequel, The Long Dark Teatime of the Soul. Very funny, if not quite as gut-busting as the Hitchhiker series, and definitely worth reading.

I love Douglas Adams, and Dirk Gently is awesome!!!

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 03:44 PM

I don't know which is more painful for me to watch: that or Superhero Squad, although the guy who voices Batman in that was also Oswald on the Drew Carry Show so that's kind of awesome!:smallbiggrin:

chiasaur11
2010-03-06, 04:09 PM
I don't know which is more painful for me to watch: that or Superhero Squad, although the guy who voices Batman in that was also Oswald on the Drew Carry Show so that's kind of awesome!:smallbiggrin:

Brave and the Bold is awesome and anyone who maligns it is wrong.

Aquaman is awesome on it, for crying out loud.

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 04:13 PM
Brave and the Bold is awesome and anyone who maligns it is wrong.

Aquaman is awesome on it, for crying out loud.

I'm sorry but the Dark Knight has set the standards for good Batman writing (at least it has for me). And yes I know Brave and the Bold is aimed at kids and a younger demographic. That doesn't mean I have to like it.

Seonor
2010-03-06, 05:25 PM
Steven Brust with his novels about Vladimir Taltos (member of the local mafia, occasional hitman, swordfighter, witch, sorcerer. Snarky.) and his famliar Laiosh (a flying reptillian, Very snarky) seem to fit your description, at least the first four or five books.

Locke Lamora is about a group of con artists but it might be too dark for you.

If you want really funny books you could also look into Jasper Fforde* and his Thursday Next and Nursery Crimes books.

*thats welsh

hamishspence
2010-03-08, 10:57 AM
The Stephenie Plum novels are comedy novels with an element of crime in them (the protagonist is a bail bond enforcer or "bounty hunter").