PDA

View Full Version : Scales of War [IC]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-06, 01:49 AM
The world has never been a safe place. Bastions of civilization populate a dark, menacing world -- islands of order and reason exist in a land otherwise overrun by dark cults, vile monsters, creatures from the dark edges of the imagination, and worse. As deadly as the world is on a normal day, something has begun to stir on the fringes of the civilized Elsir Vale. Formerly the site of an attack by an army known as the Red Hand, the Vale has known several years of peace since brave adventurers stormed into the teeth of the approaching Hand and sent them scurrying back into the darkness.

It's a peaceful evening in the town of Brindol. The sun is just starting to set, dipping below the green hills of the Elsir Vale, and the working day has just ended. Some people have been filing into the local taverns, like the Antler and Thistle, to unwind after a long day at work. Others, like yourselves, have come to the Antler and Thistle for other reasons. Whether its to relax with a pint, or enjoy a game of cards, all of you have somehow found yourself in this place.

((State where your characters are and what they're doing, and feel free to meet or chit-chat if you want. This is the calm before the storm...))

Mystic Muse
2010-03-06, 03:45 AM
Zernobog is having a mug of dwarven ale in the tavern.

Alyss
2010-03-06, 11:28 AM
The seemingly ten year-old Stasi is renting a room from the barman. "Just for one night, please."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-06, 12:30 PM
To Zousha:
Can you inform me when an inn/tavern we are in is owned by Janus' dwarven friend? I'm not expecting special treatment, just for my character's in-character ties to be realistic/relevant

A humanoid figure cloaked in brown robes enters. The Eye of Ioun dangles from the figure's neck, but they are otherwise unremarkable, with a face shrouded by the shadows of a cloak. He walks in sits at the bar, radiating sheer pensiveness, as if lost in a daydream.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-06, 09:06 PM
A male Eladrin seated at the bar glances at the newcomer and snorts slightly as his eyes land on the symbol of Ioun. He wears elegant white clothing edged in gold and violet embroidery and a violet cloak, and a pendant of Corellon's holy symbol hangs around his neck. He has long, golden hair and somewhat incongruously wears a pair of wire-rimmed reading glasses with oval lenses.

"Come now, cheer up, it can't be that bad, whatever it is."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-06, 10:37 PM
The cloaked figure shakes its head and turns to the Corellite. So sorry. I was contemplating the nature of the golden mean, and its significance to the construction of the universe. I must have forgotten my manners while off on a tangent! I am known as Janus, and I am but a humble servant of the Mistress Arcane. I can see by your garb that you are a worshipper of Corellon - a fine deity, and one I truly respect for his dominion over beauty, music and especially the Art. Tell me, are you a practitioner? says Janus hopefully, always eager to converse about the nature of magic.

Dire Reverend
2010-03-07, 12:19 AM
The one thing that probably sticks out the most, the Kobold, looks up to the Boss-Man.
((The "Boss-Man" is what Meepo calls Zernobog.))
"Boss-Man, what is we doing? Meepo bored."

Alyss
2010-03-07, 10:03 AM
Hearing the word 'magic', Stasi turns her head.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-07, 12:33 PM
Ephram raises an eyebrow.

"Ahh, Ioun," he says dryly. "Yes, I follow Corellon, the true master of the arcane Arts. And I am a practitioner of magic, indeed. I follow an ancient Eladrin tradition that blends mastery of the sword and the Art. Some of my people claim that it was first taught to the Eladrin by Corellon himself, though such tales are often spurious."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-07, 12:45 PM
Sword magic! Simply marvelous! I have researched the ancient Eladrin traditions quite a bit, but never have I met a true practitioner! There are, as I am sure you are aware, tales that the Genasi or Githyanki developed sword magic first, but in my research on the topic, I have found the Eladrin style by far the most refined. Tell me, where did you learn this marvelous style of the Art? Janus pulls back his hood, seemingly giddy at the prospect of new knowledge. The shadows disperse to reveal a lavender and pale blue face covered in swirling patterns - the face of a deva.

Alyss
2010-03-07, 01:20 PM
Stasi openly stares at the dva.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-07, 02:03 PM
Zernobog, a Dark cloaked humanoid with a clearly visible black spiked tail, turns his head to Meepo and whispers "hold on. it sounds like these two may provide some fun for us. If not you can choose what we do next but I'd prefer to finish my ale first. Haven't had a good mug of the stuff in a while."

Nai_Calus
2010-03-07, 08:00 PM
Ephram snorts derisively.

"Pah, Genasi and Githyanki. Their races haven't even been around long enough to have originated the style, from what I've read. My people, on the other hand... Well, there's a reason ours is the most refined style." He sips his drink. "I was trained, naturally, by an Eladrin master in the Feywild. I was apprenticed to him at a young age and I learned my skills from him." He eyes the man sitting next to him.

"A deva, are you? Not many of your kind around. Forgive my rudeness, but it sounds horrible. Living a thousand or more lifetimes, but never remembering more than the faintest of traces... Ugh. Think of all the history you must have lived through and seen and even instigated, but can't remember at all. The contributions you could make to the historian's field if you could only recall!" He sighs wistfully. "My people may live but once, and only for a few centuries, but I must admit I'd take my one life over your hundreds; at least I'll get to keep my knowledge and my memories of the people I love all the way through..." He looks back to the deva. "Do forgive me, I've had my own troubles in the past... And I'm something of a historian."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-07, 08:49 PM
As a deva, I do receive brief flashes of my past lives... but it is maddening how few concrete things I can remember. But I do not let it bother me overly so - after all, there are advantages to being born with a fully functional mind and body!. When the Eladrin mentions he is a historian, Janus becomes even more animated. A historian? Astounding! I do ever so love history - so much knowledge can be freely gained from simply gazing into its limitless depths... Tell me, do you have a specific field of study? A specialty, perhaps? I would simply love to exchange knowledge - after all, knowledge is next to divinity, in the eyes of the Mistress Arcane.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-07, 09:07 PM
Zernobog will turn to Meepo and whisper well, this is quickly looking like these people won't be very entertaining. in fact they sound kind of boring. Although the Deva much less so

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 12:05 AM
An amazingly short dragonborn walks into the tavern, a large axe strapped to his back and dressed in scale armor. He grumbles to himself on his way accross the room, then sits at the bar. "Ale. Now."

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 12:07 AM
"huh. A Dragonborn eh? You don't by chance worship Bahamut do you?

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 12:14 AM
"What's it to you?"

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 12:16 AM
I don't find many fellow worshippers. Just thought I'd ask.

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 12:20 AM
"Well, it so happens I do."

Dire Reverend
"huh. A Dragonborn eh? You don't by chance worship Bahamut do you?

"Meepo thinks Dragon Man had bad day. Or bad life."

Mystic Muse
Ah. Then allow me to welcome you. Here, I'll buy you an ale. What kind do you prefer?

Zernobog then turns to meepo

yes, that's indeed a possibility. hopefully just a bad day

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 12:26 AM
"Whatever's cheapest."

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 12:31 AM
Nah, I insist. Meepo's right, you sound like you've had a rough time. Meepo and I have had our share of those so if you have a preference just say so.

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 12:43 AM
"Look, it's not that I don't appreciate the thought, but cheap ale means you can buy more of it, so you can get drunker before the money runs out."

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 12:47 AM
Ah. Any specific reason you're trying to get drunk? trying to forget something or do you just find it fun? Either way I guess I'll buy you a couple drinks.

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 12:50 AM
"A little of both."

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 12:55 AM
well, I hope it gets better whatever it is.

Bartender! My Dragonborn friend here would like some ale! his preference is cheap so he can get drunk faster.

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 01:11 AM
"Some things don't get better."

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 01:16 AM
I can only imagine what it must take to believe that. Whatever happened I'm sorry.

Zernobog will finish off the last of his ale and ask Meepo
you finished with yours? want another?

Dire Reverend
2010-03-08, 03:18 AM
Boss-Man knows Meepo has money of his own to buy own drinks. Bartender-Man, Drink please!

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 03:29 AM
Yes, I know. I'm just feeling somewhat generous today.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-08, 06:26 PM
"Indeed, there are, though there are disadvantages as well. I remember my childhood with fondness, awkward as it all was." He smiles.

"Well, unsurprisingly, I've mostly specialized in the history of the Feywild, since I'm from there and grew up there, but I do try to make it a point to learn what I can about the places I visit." His eyelid twitches as the deva once again refers to Ioun as having mastery over arcane magic and he bites his tongue to avoid impolite comments of heresy.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-08, 06:37 PM
Fascinating. I will be the first to admit that I do not know enough about the Feywild - my areas of expertise are the Elemental Chaos, the ultimate source of the Art, and the Astral Sea, the ultimate source of divine magic. The deva grins. I would be overjoyed if you'd swap tales with me, one researcher to another. I have been living in the world outside the Monastery for 20 years, and I have never met a historian of the Feywild. Excuse me if I am out of line, I do not mean to pry.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 06:43 PM
Divine magic you say? Zernobog will say to the Deva

I must say I've suddenly become very interested. he says turning around face to face.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-08, 06:49 PM
Somewhat surprised, the deva turns to the tiefling. As a member of the Iounian Church, I naturally have studied divine magic a bit - I am unfamiliar with the power of divine warriors, but I am familiarized myself quite well with the magic of divine channelers. I have tried to channel such magic myself, but all my attempts so far have failed spectacularly. I suppose I am destined to work a life of arcane magic. The deva, whose expressions clearly seem to fluctuate frequently and extremely, looks downtrodden when he mentions his divine failures, but his mood picks up again when he goes back to discussing the Art.

Alyss
2010-03-08, 07:04 PM
"Hey, mister." Stasi waves at the deva. "Did you study any of that divine magic from books?" She cradles a black-haired, green-eyed doll in her arms, gently stroking its hair.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 07:05 PM
the power of a Divine warrior comes from their training and their devotion to their god. I dabble a little in both Divine and Arcane magic but that's because I can't really go all the way with divine. Otherwise I'd have left my arcane magic behind long ago.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-08, 07:13 PM
"I find little difference, but then, my patron god may influence my views on that. As Corellon is the patron and master of arcane magic, the practice of arcane magic is as sacred a duty and task as the use of divine magic. Indeed, the temple devoted to him where I come from has several priests who follow arcane traditions rather than divine; so from the viewpoint I've learned, even though I have not undertaken religious training, I still serve my god's will by the act of practicing my Art and giving it exposure in the world." Ephram shrugs and smiles.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 07:17 PM
well, I didn't get my arcane power from any god, least of all Correlon. In fact from what I've heard of the guy he sounds like a jerk. I knew this one guy who said he served Correlon, who killed people just because he found them to be ugly. But......the person I got my Arcane magic from before was probably worse. That's why I abandoned my pursuits of the "art"

Nai_Calus
2010-03-08, 07:28 PM
Ephram's demeanor turns dark and hostile and his hand goes to the hilt of his sword, pale violet arcane energy crackling around him as his warding springs to life.

"You will hold your tongue and refrain from further blasphemy against Corellon, or I swear by Sahandrian's blade that I will hold it for you. I don't know what vile rumours you've been exposed to or what disgusting heretics you've encountered, but I can assure you that you are utterly mistaken in your assessment of the Lord of of the Art." He relaxes.

"But I am sure that you meant no offense, of course. It is hardly your fault that those you've met have no concept of beauty."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-08, 07:34 PM
The deva turns to the little girl and gets out of his seat. It is socially expected that one gets to eye level when speaking with a child, yes? he asks himself. I think so... oh, how I wish I knew more about children...

He kneels down to meet Stasi's eye level. Why yes, I learned much of what I know from books. Books are one of the most sacred things I know of, for within them lies untold knowledge. He pulls out his Spellbook. In fact, books are essential to my magic too - all of my spells are cast from this book. The book has a beautiful blue cover with gold-coloured inlays. Oh, I hope I did that right. Showing her the book was a good idea, right? Clearly, she has some interest in books.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 07:38 PM
I apologize as well. I realize that overzealous "followers" may not be representative of the entire Religion. I've had my share of Jerks that worship Bahamut and my share of jerks that worship gods like Pelor. I of course meant no offense. I just felt my experience may be relevant or that you would like to prove that the worshippers aren't all bad. It seems they aren't seeing as you didn't attack me when you could have.

Rhyvurg
2010-03-08, 07:47 PM
"Magic, faugh! Spells and prayers are nothing compared to a strong sword arm and dragonfire."

Alyss
2010-03-08, 07:58 PM
Stasi eyes the book greedily, then slings the doll over her shoulder and reaches for it.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-08, 08:01 PM
Janus lets the girl touch it, but makes sure not to let the precious book go. May I ask what a young lady like yourself is doing alone in a bar? Are your parents somewhere nearby?

Alyss
2010-03-09, 10:25 AM
"I'm just staying here tonight, and going home tomorrow. Can I see your book?" Stasi tugs cautiously at the spellbook.

Nai_Calus
2010-03-09, 12:56 PM
Ephram nods slightly.

"There are many who misunderstand the concept of beauty. Many believe it is solely appearance when nothing could be further from the truth. I myself am not... Exactly beautiful." He looks distant for a moment. "I have done things in my time that would be considered ugly." He looks pensive. "But I try to correct such failings."

He glares at the anti-magic dragonborn and decides to not even bother to dignify the ignorant comment with a response.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-09, 08:19 PM
The deva smiles kindly. You're free to look at it, but I really must hold on to it - its very important to me, you see. I know - would you like to see a little magic? says Janus, hoping to entertain the girl away from the book.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-09, 09:35 PM
Just make sure yours isn't lethal Zernobog will say to him.

Alyss
2010-03-10, 05:09 AM
Damnit! Stasi curses inwardly, but smiles and nods at the deva's offer.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-10, 07:18 PM
Janus smiles, happy to get a chance to present his magic. He puts the book back into a compartment in his robes, and then snaps the fingers of his right hand - a shower of sparks leaps out from them, and cascades down, tickling Stasi a little when they touch her. What would you like to see? he asks, at a loss for which cantrips will most entertain the girl.

Alyss
2010-03-11, 10:00 AM
Stasi giggles as the sparks fall over her. "Something big and complicated."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-11, 04:57 PM
Hmmm... big and complicated... well, I do not want to damage this fine establishment, so I will have to settle for this. Janus casts Mage Hand to grab his glass of water from the bar, and carries over to Stasi. He then casts Prestidigitation to turn the water blue and pink. A second casting of Prestidigitation freezes the water solid. He then casts Light on the multi-coloured block of ice, creating a blue and pink lantern. How's this? he asks, handing the girl the ice-lantern.

Alyss
2010-03-12, 04:47 AM
Stasi puts on a false smile of delight, but again curses inwardly. Cantrips? This conjurer is no more skilled than I am!

Nai_Calus
2010-03-12, 03:47 PM
Ephram smiles in amusement at the display.

"Ahh, takes me back to my childhood." He ponders. "I suppose I could show you some of my magic. It might look a little frightening, but it's quite harmless." He stands, moves away from the bar a bit, and concentrates for a moment, getting his bearings, before drawing his sword and sweeping it about in one smooth, quick motion. Violet arcane energy with golden flecks pulses through the air around him for a moment before fading, catching Stasi in the burst, though producing no more harmful effect on her than a feeling of the arcane energy used in the technique tingling against her skin.

"My magic is rather defense-oriented, and part of my training was to learn how to conjure it without harming those I work with and seek to protect," He says, half-addressing Janus and Zernobog.

Ephram used Swordburst, which is a close burst 1 enemy-only attack. I don't know of any rules that state that you have to actually target something specific with a burst power, so I'm assuming it's kosher for Ephram to just randomly use it to attempt to entertain apparent small children. :smalltongue:

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-12, 04:00 PM
Oh, how wonderful! I am afraid that if I were to cast any more complex spells than cantrips, I would tear this fine establishment to pieces - which is, of course, something to avoid, says the Deva to Ephram.

Alyss
2010-03-12, 04:43 PM
Stasi claps. "Very pretty!"

Mystic Muse
2010-03-12, 04:51 PM
I must admit that was rather impressive. My magic just tends to make things explode.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-12, 06:25 PM
I must admit that was rather impressive. My magic just tends to make things explode.

Janus smiles. It seems we have something in common! My magic, often to my chagrin, is also usually of the more explosive variety. Its impractical for a glorified librarian such as myself, but it's helped me many a time with bandits during my pilgrimage around Elsir Vale.

Rhyvurg
2010-03-12, 08:38 PM
Nemax keeps nursing his beer, breifly considering showing off his own powers. Breifly.

Dire Reverend
2010-03-13, 03:53 AM
"Meepo Bored. When does Boss-Man get job for money for both of us?"

Mystic Muse
2010-03-13, 04:32 AM
"Meepo Bored. When does Boss-Man get job for money for both of us?"

Ah you are correct Meepo. thank you for reminding me of what we were here for in the first place.

Bartender. Are there any Jobs in town that pay a decent amount of money? me and my friend here are a bit bored and could use some gold. preferably something dangerous.

Alyss
2010-03-13, 10:46 AM
Janus smiles. It seems we have something in common! My magic, often to my chagrin, is also usually of the more explosive variety. Its impractical for a glorified librarian such as myself, but it's helped me many a time with bandits during my pilgrimage around Elsir Vale.

"Your a librarian?"

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-13, 12:48 PM
"Your a librarian?"

In a way, yes I am a librarian. I am a searcher of knowledge for the Church of Ioun - I fill our library with new books, new knowledge, new charts and maps, and whenever I visit the Church I organize its archives. But I do not spend my days sitting behind a desk in front of towers of books - I prefer to visit the world around me, and build on the knowledge that I already have.

Alyss
2010-03-13, 10:10 PM
"But do you have notes...or extracts? Stuff like that? I like reading."

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-13, 10:13 PM
Ah! It is wonderful to see a love of reading instilled in one so young! Here, let me see what I have... Janus rifles through his bag. Aha! I have here an accounting of my trip through the woods with a caravan just a few weeks passed. We met some bandits, and the caravan guards were startlingly well prepared. I can remember it as if it was yesterday - I can re-pen the accounting of it another time. You see if you enjoy it. The Deva wizard smiles serenely as he hands the parchment to the little girl.

Alyss
2010-03-14, 01:39 PM
"Thank you, sir!" Stasi takes the manuscript and sits down to read, her doll laid out across her knees.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-14, 09:04 PM
Suddenly, the gentle hubbub of this evening at the Antler and Thistle tavern is shattered by the crack of the front door flying off its hinges to land amid the nearest tables.

Four hobgoblins rush into the bar, swords outstretched to skewer the nearest bar patrons.

“FOR SINRUTH! FOR THE HAND!” they cry.

The hobgoblins strike at the nearest patrons, wounding them badly.

((Roll for initiative))

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/Archpaladin_Zousha/RescueatRivenroarMap1.jpg

Rhyvurg
2010-03-14, 09:27 PM
[roll0] Intiniative

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-14, 09:45 PM
Janus stands up from where he was talking with Stasi. Bandits? Blast and damn! Just when I though things might just get quiet... we must make short work of these thugs if we are to protect the patrons. He draws his tome, and begins muttering ancient arcane phrases, preparing his battle magic.

Inish: [roll0] <- I dare anyone to beat that!

Nai_Calus
2010-03-14, 10:19 PM
Init: [roll0]

Rhyvurg
2010-03-14, 10:53 PM
[roll0] Work damn you!

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-14, 10:58 PM
((It worked that time! :smallsmile:))

Mystic Muse
2010-03-15, 11:46 AM
Initiative

[roll0]

Alyss
2010-03-15, 01:48 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Dire Reverend
2010-03-15, 04:19 PM
Rollin for Initiative.
[roll0]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-15, 05:47 PM
Hobgoblin Grunts:

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-15, 05:51 PM
Initiative Order:

Janus
Ephram
Stasi
Zernobog
Nemax
Meepo
Hobgoblin Grunt 4

GO!

EDIT: Hobgoblin Grunts 1, 2, and 3 are dead.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-15, 05:57 PM
Standard Action: Janus throws wide his book, chanting in the language of magic. Grasping Hands of the Abyss, draw them into the depths! he shouts at the the end of his chant, extending his hand towards the Goblins. Many spectral hands rise up around three of the Hobgoblins, reaching for their legs and dragging them into oblivion.

Move Action: Move to F12.

Crunch:
Grasping Shadows
Encounter Arcane, Illusion, Implement, Psychic
Standard Action Area burst 1 within 10 squares
Target: Each creature in burst
Attack: Intelligence vs. Will
Hit: 1d8 + Intelligence modifier psychic damage, and target is slowed until the end of your next turn.
Effect: Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes psychic damage equal to your Intelligence modifier and is slowed until the end of its next turn.

Burst 1 centered on F17

Attack vs. E18:
[roll0] vs. Will

Attack vs. F18:
[roll1] vs. Will

Attack vs. G18:
[roll2] vs. Will

Hit: [roll3] necrotic psychic damage and the target is slowed until the end of Janus' next turn. ((EDIT: Thought it was Necrotic, turns out I was wrong))

Effect: Shadows writhe in the designated area and continue until the end of your next turn. Any creature that enters the area of the grasping shadows takes 4 psychic damage and is slowed until the end of its next turn.

End Turn.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-15, 06:09 PM
The hobgobling begin shrieking in terror as they struggle against the hands to no avail. All three of them are dragged into the darkness and then suddenly their screaming stops as the shadows fade. They're just gone. And any perceptive folk notice that the remaining hobgoblin now has a very large wet spot on his pantaloons.

VERY impressive Shadow_Elf! There's only one left...for now. That moves everyone up in the initiative order.

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-15, 06:11 PM
((Thanks. Also, be careful everyone - my spell is still in that zone, and it doesn't distinguish good guys from bad guys.))

Mystic Muse
2010-03-15, 06:11 PM
((Thanks. Also, be careful everyone - my spell is still in that zone, and it doesn't distinguish good guys from bad guys.))

No!!11!!!!! it's the acid arrow incident all over again! *shudders*

Nai_Calus
2010-03-16, 01:19 AM
Ephram quickly skirts around the back of the table, experience teaching him to avoid the area of the wizard's power, and flicks his sword at the remaining hobgoblin, a bolt of lightning flickering between his sword and the hobgoblin and wrapping around him, trying to pull him towards him with another flick of the sword.

Move to G15, Lightning Lure on remaining hobgoblin, Aegis of Shielding on him if he's not dead. (Ephram still had his sword out.)
[roll0] vs Fort
[roll1]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-16, 02:25 PM
The hobgoblin yelps from the lightning, but toughs it out. His hair looks a bit singed, but otherwise he's fine.

"WE GOT MAGES IN 'ERE! LITTLE HELP PLEASE?!" he cries.

Both miss. Stasi's turn now.

Alyss
2010-03-17, 01:28 PM
Pulling her prayerbook from the bag on her back, Stasi snaps the leatherbound tome open and flings a tangled ball of divine energy at the last hobgoblin, before dashing out of the backdoor (with Janus' notes in hand).

Hephaeustus' Fire Strike on the last hobgoblin: Attack [roll0] vs. Ref; Hit (fire and radiant damage) [roll1].

Then burning an action point and taking a double move to G2.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-17, 05:27 PM
Pulling her prayerbook from the bag on her back, Stasi snaps the leatherbound tome open and flings a tangled ball of divine energy at the last hobgoblin, before dashing out of the backdoor (with Janus' notes in hand).

Hephaeustus' Fire Strike on the last hobgoblin: Attack [roll0] vs. Ref; Hit (fire and radiant damage) [roll1].

Then burning an action point and taking a double move to G2.

The hobgoblin screams as the energy burns him to death. Stasi runs as fast as her legs can carry her, but when she gets out there, she sees that Brindol is burning. Hobgoblins and goblins everywhere, looting and killing. A cry goes up inside the Antler and Thistle as more foes start coming to the door.

((The battle's not over yet. Those were just minions. Reinforcements are coming in on the next turn. You might wanna get back in there Alyss.))

Rhyvurg
2010-03-18, 12:43 AM
"Well, it's been fun, but it's time to go. I hope you all live through this." Nemax finishes his beer and hefts his hammer, looking for a back door.

Alyss
2010-03-18, 05:59 PM
Stasi looks about her in horror, then glances guiltily over her shoulder at the backdoor of the tavern.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-19, 10:06 PM
Zernobog will take the total defense action knowing that more hobgoblins are probably coming into the tavern.

Dire Reverend
2010-03-20, 02:14 AM
Meepo does so as well.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-20, 07:13 PM
When Ephram walks into the shadows they pull and tug at him with their cold, feely hands. ((Ephram takes 4 psychic damage))

Sure enough, more hobgoblins burst into the Antler and Thistle, followed by a small goblin with a very nasty-looking torch. The goblin grins and chucks the torch behind the bar, smashing a few bottles and starting a small fire on the shelves.

The bartender, who had hunkered down behind the bar cries out.

"SH*T!!!"

http://i905.photobucket.com/albums/ac254/Archpaladin_Zousha/ScalesofWarMap2.jpg

INITIATIVE FOR NEW ENEMIES

Goblin Blackblade: [roll0]
Hobgoblin Grunt 1: [roll1]
Hobgoblin Grunt 2: [roll2]
Hobgoblin Grunt 3: [roll3]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-20, 07:18 PM
New Initiative Order:

Janus
Hobgoblin Grunt 3
Hobgoblin Grunt 1
Ephram
Goblin Blackblade
Stasi
Zernobog
Nemax
Meepo
Hobgoblin Grunt 2

Go Shadow Elf!

Shadow_Elf
2010-03-20, 07:44 PM
((Zousha, that's not exactly where my burst was, so Ephram didn't walk into it. It fills F16, F17, F18, E16, E17, E18, G16, G17 and G18.))

Move Action: Janus moves 5 squares to D17.

Standard Action: Janus throws his tome to another page, and then begins reading the ancient text again. At the end of the passage he shouts. Rolling thunder of the heavens! Banish them from this place! A wave of translucent force rolls out from the pages of the book, throwing the goblins out the door from whence they came.

Thunder Wave
At-Will Arcane, Implement, Thunder
Standard Action Close blast 3
Target: Each creature in blast
Attack: Intelligence vs. Fortitude
Hit: 1d6 + Intelligence modifier thunder damage, and you push the target a number of squares equal to your Wisdom modifier.
Increase damage to 2d6 + Intelligence modifier at 21st level.

Vs. Hobgoblin in E19
[roll0] vs. Fortitude.
On a hit, he takes the damage and is pushed to I22

Vs. Goblin in F19
[roll1] vs. Fortitude
On a hit, he takes the damage and is pushed to F23

Vs. Hobgoblin in G19
[roll2] vs. Fortitude
On a hit, he takes the damage and is pushed to J23

Damage Vs. Any Who Are Hit: [roll3] thunder damage.

End Turn. The Grasping Shadows dissipate.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-22, 08:32 PM
The bones of the two hobgoblins audibly snap as the thunder blasts them through the wall and door respectively. The goblin, however, stands his ground and manages to resist it.
Hobgoblin Grunts #1 and #2 are now dead. The goblin blackblade resisted the attack.
The lone remaining hobgoblin makes his move, rushing towards the deva who just killed his comrades gargling a battlecry.
Hobgoblin #3 moves 5 squares to E17 and attacks Janus with his longsword.

Attack vs. AC: [roll0]

Damage if it hits: 5

Nai_Calus
2010-03-22, 08:59 PM
Ephram darts towards the enemies and attacks them with a flourish of his blade.

Move to F18 to get the hobgoblin and the goblin adjacent
Mark Goblin.

Swordburst, attacks:
[roll0] vs. goblin's reflex
[roll1] vs. hobgoblin's reflex
Damage: [roll2]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-22, 09:28 PM
Ephram's agile strike decapitates the hobgoblin and the goblin's jaw drops in disbelief, allowing Ephram to make another quick strike on him as well.
Both attacks hit, the Hobgoblin is dead and the Goblin takes 10 damage and is now marked.
The goblin retaliates for the injury, stabbing at Ephram.
Attack vs. AC: [roll0]
Damage if it hits: [roll1]

It is now Stasi's turn.

Alyss
2010-03-23, 10:36 PM
Stasi pauses for another moment, hesitant to get involved, but then stealthily makes her way around the side of the building.

Moving to P7 with two move actions, making a Stealth check each time.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-24, 03:54 PM
There's no hobgoblins or goblins nearby to detect Stasi, so she avoids notice.

Technically speaking you weren't supposed to leave the bar, so there's no way to account for what's going on outside in the rest of the city, at least until the second encounter.

Zernobog's turn

Mystic Muse
2010-03-30, 01:07 AM
Zernobog will attack the goblin blackblade seeing as he still seems to be alive according to the intiative order. (if he isn't he'll attack the nearest enemy he can see.)

Foul fiend! you will regret what you have done here! he shouts. (warlock's curse)

Eldritch blast[roll0] attack versus reflex.

extra damage[roll1] [roll2] normal damage.

Since that appears to be a Crit I deal 16 damage.:smallbiggrin:

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-30, 09:08 AM
The goblin does not even have time to regret, since Zernobog's blast completely disintegrates it. By now the tavern patrons are cheering them on, though the bartender is shuffling backwards on his rear end from the shelves of alcohol, which are quickly bursting into flames.

Nemax's turn. Damn, I'm gonna have to figure out some way to keep this interesting. You're cutting through these bastards like paper!

Rhyvurg
2010-04-03, 07:32 AM
Nemax moves 4 squares south to D17 and unleshes his firebreath on the lone survivor.

[roll0]Attack vs Reflex
[roll1]Damage

Dire Reverend
2010-04-10, 12:02 AM
Meepo uses his move action to move diagonal to E12 (1), down to E14 (3), Diagonal to D15 (4), down to D17 (6).
After that, Meepo uses the Shifty at-will power to shift diagonally to E18.
He then uses his Standard action to attack using Twin Strike upon the Hobgoblin on E19 and the Goblin on F19.
Against hobgoblin [roll0] Vs. AC
Damage (If it hits): [roll1]

Against Goblin: [roll2] Vs. AC
Damage (If it hits): [roll3]

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-04-10, 12:12 AM
I said it before! All the goblins are dead at the moment! Someone else finished the hobgoblin minions and Kyuubi got a critical that did in the goblin. Rhyvurg, Dire Weasel, you're attacking air!

Dire Reverend
2010-04-10, 12:45 AM
Maybe you should update the map!

Then Meepo uses his standard & Move action to move to E19.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-05-28, 04:23 PM
Since starting this thread up again would be necroing it, we're starting anew here:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=154104

It's great to be back!