PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Throw and Stab

Goonthegoof
2010-03-06, 01:51 AM
My friend let me look at his copy of MP2 and I'm confused about Throw and Stab- Is it possible to have the thrown weapon and a melee weapon be the same weapon? Is there a type of weapon, a magic enhancement or a feat that lets them be the same weapon? (Trying for a cool throw weapon, pull weapon out and stab with it kind of action)

Thajocoth
2010-03-06, 01:53 AM
My friend let me look at his copy of MP2 and I'm confused about Throw and Stab- Is it possible to have the thrown weapon and a melee weapon be the same weapon? Is there a type of weapon, a magic enhancement or a feat that lets them be the same weapon? (Trying for a cool throw weapon, pull weapon out and stab with it kind of action)

Most thrown weapons can also be used as melee weapons. Shurikens might be the only exception...

Goonthegoof
2010-03-06, 01:57 AM
I know they can, but I was thinking some form of way you could use the same weapon for both attacks- As I understand it, if you throw a weapon you have to take a separate action to pick it back up, which precludes using it for both attacks.

AgentPaper
2010-03-06, 02:07 AM
The weapon returns to you after the attack is resolved, and catching it is a free action, so yes, you can make iterative attacks with a thrown weapon.

As for whether you can use Throw and Stab with, say, a Farbond Spellblade Glaive, (which makes it a heavy thrown weapon as well) by pure RAW, I think that yes, you can. You are wielding a thrown weapon, and you are wielding a melee weapon. Of course, you might want to run it by your DM before you try and make a character based around the idea, because it's his decision in the end.

rayne_dragon
2010-03-06, 02:09 AM
Have one in each hand. Magic throwing weapons also return upon throwing, so depending on how you choose to interpret those rules it may be possible to use the same weapon for both attacks (which may be what WotC intended).

tcrudisi
2010-03-06, 08:58 AM
Have one in each hand. Magic throwing weapons also return upon throwing, so depending on how you choose to interpret those rules it may be possible to use the same weapon for both attacks (which may be what WotC intended).

While I can't say with authority how it was intended (as I don't work there), it does seem like it was intended that way. Let's say you have an attack that lets you attack all enemies in a burst 1. You happen to center that attack 2 squares away from you, which means that 3 of the attacks will be adjacent to you and the other 6 are far away from you. You are using a +1 dagger of no-special-enchantment (aka +1 dagger). Furthermore, all 9 spots are filled with enemies.

You like style and also realize these guys are scrubs that can't hit you, so you aren't afraid of incurring an Opportunity Attack. So you throw your dagger at one in the back (incur the 3 OA's here, 1 from each mob adjacent to you), then it returns, so you throw it at another in the back, then it returns, then you stab the guy in front of you. You then throw it at the last guy in the back, then the dagger returns, then you throw it at a guy in the middle, then it returns, then you stab the guy in front of you. Then you throw the dagger at another guy in the middle, then the dagger returns, then you throw it at the last guy in the middle, then the dagger returns. Somehow, you've managed to roll a crit on all these attacks and killed every single one of them. The last guy, looking around and realizing his impending doom, wets his pants. Then you roll a 1 and miss him. He crits on you and you die.

Bummer.

Next time, buy something which increases your hit points. Or at least carry around a Leader to heal you.

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-06, 05:33 PM
Throw it into a guy, run at him with no weapon in your hands, screaming your head off, grab onto the haft of the spear still lodged in his bleeding gut, and ram it in even further.