PDA

View Full Version : Spectacular Death Throes.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-06, 04:50 AM
Why would anyone other than a spiteful DM use it?

Greymane
2010-03-06, 05:11 AM
Because maybe you're a spiteful player?

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-06, 06:11 AM
I've used them as a player. Extreme fanatics will occasionally get such abilities.

nightwyrm
2010-03-06, 01:24 PM
Coz it's hilarious to the DM.

Magic Jar + Death Throes = suicide bomber goodness.

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-06, 01:35 PM
Because some creatures have purpose in death. Or are simply vindictive enough to try and take their murderer down with them.

EDIT: Heck. I made little droids out of a proton core and a copied R2 personality matrix last time I was a player in Star Wars SAGA, so it's not like players don't use it as well.

Keld Denar
2010-03-06, 02:47 PM
I played in a Living Greyhawk module once where the PCs were attacked by pirates on a boat. The pirate captain was actually a demon who had bluffed all of the pirates (1st level experts or something) that the potions of water breathing he gave them were actually elixers of Death Throes. Ship rolls up, pirates start to board, PCs attempt to repel them, one of them dies within 20 feet of another, who is within 20 feet of another, who is within 20 feet of a couple more, etc. Chain reaction of 6d6 fireballs going off across the deck of 2 ships. Fire + ships = ticking clock, demon reveals true form and attacks, and the encounter goes from mundane to WTF in ~6 seconds.

Oh, and just in case the PCs get suspicious and move to just knock the pirates out, the demon also bluffed the sailors that if they get into trouble and are about to be captured, they should jump overboard and swim down, relying on the potions to keep them safe till they swim to shore. They jump in the water with their mouths wide open and in 6 seconds go move straight to the drowning rules. Tick tick BOOM!

JerichoPenumbra
2010-03-06, 02:49 PM
If you are really desperate or the villain is, Death Throes + Familiar = New Escape plan.