PDA

View Full Version : What do you do...

Moonshadow
2010-03-06, 07:28 AM
...when you've just found out that your *censored* of a 18 year old brother has deleted half your games and 90% of your saved data from your Wii for no good reason, and currently has your PS2 memory cards in his possession that he unlawfully acquired from your room while you're at work, and denies all accusations of having them, despite you having seem them in his room?

I'm sick of his continuous mistreatment of my possessions, and without resorting to violence, can see no real recourse because he won't listen to anything I have to say.

I have fury :smallfurious:

Dallas-Dakota
2010-03-06, 07:30 AM
Take them back when he's out.

You didn't steal anything, they were yours to begin with.

And if you do it when he's out, there's no possibility of violence at that time.

There are other options then ''talking'' and ''violence''.

(This advice is based on what has been said in previous threads+ this thread)

Moonshadow
2010-03-06, 07:34 AM
Lets say that he doesn't go out on weekends, but rather he sleeps in his room until the afternoon, and any other time he might be out during the week, I'm already at work.

GolemsVoice
2010-03-06, 08:01 AM
Well, talk to hima gain. Tell him that you have SEEN them. Ask him what the heck is up with him. Make clear that you know that he has stolenf rom you, and that, while you no longer posess the memory cards, you now posess righteous fury. After all, this sort of thing just can't go on!
Of course, violence is out of the question, but how about parental justice? What do your parents say to that? Assuming of course, you are still young enough to ask you parents to intervene

Glyphic
2010-03-06, 08:09 AM
Come up with an excuse to get him out of his room (mom wants to see him, friend called, ect), and take your stuff back. Take all valuables and put them in a safety deposit box, or leave them at a friend's. Live in a spartan manner; Including kicking him into a pit if need be.

Ichneumon
2010-03-06, 08:48 AM
Put a lock on your door? This prevents future such situations.

jlvm4
2010-03-06, 09:08 AM
...when you've just found out that your *censored* of a 18 year old brother has deleted half your games and 90% of your saved data from your Wii for no good reason, and currently has your PS2 memory cards in his possession that he unlawfully acquired from your room while you're at work, and denies all accusations of having them, despite you having seem them in his room?

I'm sick of his continuous mistreatment of my possessions, and without resorting to violence, can see no real recourse because he won't listen to anything I have to say.

I have fury :smallfurious:

Take back your own stuff.

Then get a lock on your door, with a key, that he doesn't have.

That way you don't have to talk at all. Get the right lock, and you don't even have to alter the door. There are some locks that go right in the knob so it would be a simple swap.

Then, I'd move out. As soon as you can.

SDF
2010-03-06, 11:01 AM
Well if you had a 360 you could password protect it. :smalltongue:

I'd just walk in and take my stuff back *shrug* it doesn't sound like he respects authority anyhow.

Since you have a job save up a bit for a deposit to move out. Your home doesn't sound like a pleasant environment for you.

Or for the lulz you can
1 Get a bag labeled "My Stuff"
2 Put only a bank teller dye SecurityPac inside
4 Wait
5 ???
6 Profit

Thajocoth
2010-03-06, 05:57 PM
I believe you can re-download anything you've downloaded on the Wii for free. So no games should be lost.

Mando Knight
2010-03-06, 06:33 PM
I believe you can re-download anything you've downloaded on the Wii for free. So no games should be lost.

Saved game data... like unlocks and game progress. You can't re-download that.

Best preventative measure is to copy all of your data onto an SD card, then copy that onto a password-protected folder on a computer, preferably one that only you have access to.

Drakevarg
2010-03-06, 08:50 PM
March into his room, take your stuff back, and march out, heartily giving him the finger as an answer to his inevitable protests.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-06, 09:00 PM
1) Walk in
2) Smack him with something heavy
3) Take your stuff back
simplicity :)

RandomNPC
2010-03-06, 09:25 PM
thing is this isn't the first time OP has had issues with brother. When I sugested a lock and some HP loss on the borthers end it was brought up that brother has pulled a knife for a single hit, something I would have considered broterly horse play. As for the lock OP seems deathly afraid to go against parents wishes to not alter the hosue.

I repeat myself from before, man up and say screw your rules and get a lock. Also, as soon as your brother has something of moderate value call the cops, tell them you'd try getting it back being brothers and all 'cept he's pulled a knife on you before. If you're to frightened to call the cops get a bigger knife.

seriously, from what you told us on the other thread just by you going out and purchasing a knife puts you at an even skill level to him. You hit him once and he pulled it on you, from your own words. It's a new toy to him, he doesn't have the judgement to keep it hidden untill he needs it, he want's to play with it, everything about the situation tells me he's got no skill. But if you go with my knife idea, you will both end up hospitalized. just saying.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-06, 09:27 PM
Set him on fire.

Raiki
2010-03-06, 10:16 PM
Set him on fire.

Build a man a fire, he's warm for a night; Set a man on fire, he's warm for the rest of his life.

I wholeheartedly support this plan. Except by "wholeheartedly", I mean "in no way".

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-06, 10:31 PM
On a more serious note, learn how to disarm a knife. Might help out.

BUt really, you should take matters into your own hands. If he's taking your stuff, stand up to it. If you can see it in his room, walk in, and take it. If he draws a knife on you, be prepared for that.

druid91
2010-03-06, 11:08 PM
So for ill advised petty revenge stuff I have the below plan, spoilered so you can skip to the serious stuff.
Get a rubber-maid box big enough for the aforementioned knife. Find A spot in the yard it is unlikely to be stumbled upon and bury it.
Wrap a piece of rope or some other sort of rope-ish thing around the box and trail it to the surface so that you can find it later.
Take great care of the knife, possibly even staging a test run of a few weeks on a cheap butter knife or something first to make sure it comes to no harm. Once knife is taken care of wait for him to notice. get him to trade you your stuff for a small cardboard box that has a clue in it*Don't tell him that the knife isn't in the box.* the clue leads to another clue set up two clue trails in your free time taking your brother all over the place*place meaning your house/yard, possibly also a few places off site you know he would figure out immediately the place you meant and where your clue would remain untouched * way one will end at a box with a plastic butter-knife*with the serrated edge shaved off* and the other will end with a box containing a slice of cake. buy yourself some chain mail before giving the knife back.

Serious advice:
1:Get a lock box as said before
2:Plan to move out^
3:Do you have deadly weapons in your room?
If no raise a stink about your brother keeping a deadly weapon in his room; See if you can get a deadly weapons must stay in/on display box/display stand rule preferably launching your campaign starting with your dad.
If successful see if you can catch him with it off/out-of the stand/box, get it moved out to a public area, where it would be easy to see that he took it out but a hassle to get to quickly should a fight arise.
Of course if you do have deadly weapons in your room then you might not want to do this.
Make sure to bide your time between phases of this plan, patience is a virtue.
4: If he is asleep just act as if he was out only quieter, and with less searching his bed for his journal. Sleeping people after they get to a certain stage of sleep might as well be statues if you are quiet enough.

Boo
2010-03-07, 12:11 AM
Okay people, stop encouraging the use of deadly weapons over games. That's no good (it might work, but it's bad).

For knife-related scenarios, I think these videos are somewhat useful:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWQfgwuOAxo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1PxWoU_klE

The first one is to keep in mind, the second is just in case (since he doesn't appear to know how to knife-fight, this video is useful), and the non-existent third would have been for you to know that running/hiding is the best option in a knife fight.

I've been told that using a leather coat wrapped around your hand is somewhat useful as a shield-like tool, so try to find something thick that could stop the slice/impact of a knife. This would give you the chance to disarm him if he is as violent as he seems to be (based on the descriptions).

Finally, call the police and inform your parents no matter if you walk away or fight. File any charge you can in such a case.

Get a lock on your door no matter what you do.

This is all for prevention. How you get it back is up to you, but try not to use violence.

(prank option)
Put a lock on your brothers door, but backwards so it would need a key from the inside. When your brother is asleep, install it. Don't use power tools or else you may wake him. Once finished, exit the room and lock him in. Make sure you have the keys with you.

When he wakes up, bargain for your stuff. Make sure to inform your parents of your plan so he can't hold it over your head (although he seems like the type to hit you instead).

Sorry if I've generalised your brother, but I'm judging only what I'm reading.

Kneenibble
2010-03-07, 12:39 AM
All these revenge suggestions are too elaborate. Just sleep with his girlfriend.

My bff's sister fell in with a really bad crowd when she was a teenager, got into crystal meth and dropped out of school and got preggers. Her "friends" she invited over stole a bunch of his electronics loot from his room while he was away in Japan -- on more than one occasion, I think.

She's turned her life around though. Don't lose faith in the power of love.

Still, sleep with his girlfriend. Everybody wins. ...if you're good in bed.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-07, 01:25 AM
+1 for the cops, if you believe he would actually use the knife on you. Threatening violence with a deadly weapon is a high-class misdemeanor or a low-class felony in most states. If he actually manages to cut you with it, that's assault with a deadly weapon and a mid-to-high-class felony. He can't steal your stuff if he's in jail. Also, the wii can be password locked too I'm pretty sure.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 02:13 AM
Naoto, I've already said what I have to say. If you're really that concerned about it and can't move out, force the issue. Take your stuff back. Confront the bugger about his thieving ways with proof, and don't let him bluff, bluster, or threaten his way out of it. If it gets violent, it gets violent. Nobody's going to die, especially if you're clever enough to secure his weapon before you initiate the situation. Bonus points if you bring back-up.

RS14
2010-03-07, 02:19 AM
If he actually manages to cut you with it, that's assault with a deadly weapon and a mid-to-high-class felony. He can't steal your stuff if he's in jail.

Getting cut is always plan Omega.

What do your parents say to this? If you were to call the police and get him sent to prison, would they be upset? Could you move out before he gets out on parole?

Solaris
2010-03-07, 02:26 AM
Getting cut is always plan Omega.

What do your parents say to this? If you were to call the police and get him sent to prison, would they be upset? Could you move out before he gets out on parole?

Sez you. I'm just spiteful and malicious enough that I'd take gettin' cut on just to get him booted and/or thrown in prison. Plus, could you imagine bragging about the scars?
"Yeah, that's from the time I got into it with my brother."
"What brother?"
"Indeed."

Icewalker
2010-03-07, 02:42 AM
With regards to the idea of being prepared for a knife and being able to fight him or disarm him...

Imagine this situation: you have a hyperactive toddler with a black sharpie. You are in all white clothing. You try to take it from him. How will this end?

You will get cut in a knife fight except sometimes when you have years of training, they have none, and things go like they are supposed to.

Vaynor
2010-03-07, 02:44 AM
With regards to the idea of being prepared for a knife and being able to fight him or disarm him...

Imagine this situation: you have a hyperactive toddler with a black sharpie. You are in all white clothing. You try to take it from him. How will this end?

You will get cut in a knife fight except sometimes when you have years of training, they have none, and things go like they are supposed to.

Never bring a knife to a knife fight, and for that matter, never have a knife fight to begin with. Like Icewalker says, you will get hurt, unfortunately. :smallfrown:

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 02:57 AM
Idea One: Go to your parents, explain to them the situations.

Not your speed?

Idea Two: Go to the cops, explain the situation.

Still not your speed?

Idea Three: Call out of work one day, then sit and wait. This can go one of two ways, but it begs the question: Does your brother have a lock on his door?

If yes, wait til he heads out to go to the bathroom/get food/what have you. As soon as he does, run in, lock the door, get your stuff and get out. Be sure you snuck into his room, as that way you may be able to get back out without him knowing you were in there. The locking is just in case he comes back. Assuming you can get out of there, get your stuff back to your room, and HIDE IT. Also, be sure to grab this knife he seems to have, as that way you prevent it from being used on you. Hide it as well, and really, hide it better than and in a different place from your own stuff. By this point, he will have realized what's up. You should have barricaded your door so he can't get in. While he's banging on the door, call your parents on your phone (I'm assuming you and your parents have cellphones) and tell them your brother stole things from you, and has pulled a knife on you previously. You now have both your belongings and his knife in your room, and that your parents should do something about their son.

If no, you run into a slightly harder problem. You're still going to have to sneak into his room. If your brother's room is on the first floor, dash in his room, get your stuff and jump out the window. If it's not, look for his knife and chuck it out the window FIRST, then find your stuff.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-07, 03:18 AM
Theres a few factors you should consider. but first. calm down. Rage is not a good thing to have =/ it does more harm than good.

Factors:
Are you a minor or an adult. if your a minor...there are a few options. if your an adult, the one i see is earn up some money and get out of there.
Since you live with your parents, do they know about his knife? Do they know that he's pulled it on you? if they do know, and have not removed the knife or done anything about it, I believe child services (if your a minor) and/or the police are necessary. Not because he's taken your memory cards.. those are not really worth too much in the view of things. But you obviously do NOT FEEL SAFE IN YOUR HOUSEHOLD. Despite what people might say...brothers pulling knives on brothers is not a common thing. I would talk to your parents immediately about it and if not them, then the police. Hell, going to the station and just talking to someone, not forcing the issue, but knowing whats going on and getting a second opinion on it might be a good idea. Usually Police have a good idea of how the law works and I'm sure they can help. Before that though, I would talk to your parents. Take your time, keep a calm head, but this is a necessary thing to deal with. If you honestly believe your brother will pull a knife on you again, I would stay away from him if I were you. Sneaking in and getting your stuff, that works. Throwing the knife away.. that works too. What happens if he has a second knife that you don't know about? or if he finds it in the yard.

Rule 1 of knife fighting: Don't. I've had first hand experience on the receiving end, it is not as fun as people would make you believe.

-Wrath

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 03:27 AM
Rule 1 of knife fighting: Don't. I've had first hand experience on the receiving end, it is not as fun as people would make you believe.

-Wrath

Yeah. Just ask Lanky.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-07, 03:30 AM
Yeah. Just ask Lanky.

I'm not quite understanding what you meant. but if its what i think you mean...

:eek:

-Wrath

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 03:34 AM
I'm not quite understanding what you meant. but if its what i think you mean...

:eek:

-Wrath

I'm reffering to The Lanky Bugger, a Playgrounder who got seriously wounded by...oh, I wanna say one of the players in his campaigns? Yeah.

EndlessWrath
2010-03-07, 03:40 AM
I'm reffering to The Lanky Bugger, a Playgrounder who got seriously wounded by...oh, I wanna say one of the players in his campaigns? Yeah.

:eek::eek::eek:

That really sucks, I hope that he's okay.. or going to be okay >.< I didn't know about that at all.

I restate my earlier sentence.
Rule 1 of knife fighting: Don't
-Wrath

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 03:42 AM
:eek::eek::eek:

That really sucks, I hope that he's okay.. or going to be okay >.< I didn't know about that at all.

I restate my earlier sentence.
Rule 1 of knife fighting: Don't
-Wrath

Oh, this was a while back. He's fine now...I think.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 04:21 AM

Emphasis mine. It's just plain going to happen. There's nothing you can do about it except make sure the other guy doesn't get a good cut in and you get better cuts on him. It'll hurt like the dickens, too. Not a good situation.

Traditionally, it's a red sharpie.

Even in the videos linked, I was seeing both people involved getting tagged with the rubber knife. Knife fights are messy. Don't get into one if you don't know what you're doing, but by the same token don't just knuckle under if he comes at you with a knife.
To try learning self-defense techniques from a YouTube video starts at 'laughably pointless' and eventually wanders into 'sad and kind of pathetic' territory. That's why I was recommending he remove the knife before making a situation happen. At the very least, don't bring fists to a knife-fight. I recommend pepper spray (the good kind, not weak civvie crap) or a stun gun. Nicely non-lethal and they'll at least distract the dipstick enough for you to do something about it.

Enough about the knife incident, at least from me. How are you liking the lockbox plan, Naoto?

Force
2010-03-07, 03:19 PM
As others have said:

If you're a minor, call on your parents and child services, in that order. If you're an adult, look into moving out. If that doesn't work, find some way to lock up your stuff.

On a side note, don't expect any martial arts moves or tricky unarmed-combat stuff to be much use against someone who actually knows how to use a knife. There is a reason why mankind has used weapons over their fists for as long as we've been around on Terra, after all.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 03:53 PM
As others have said:

If you're a minor, call on your parents and child services, in that order. If you're an adult, look into moving out. If that doesn't work, find some way to lock up your stuff.

He's twenty-two, his brother's eighteen. There's surprising resistance to exfiltration due to financial issues.

On a side note, don't expect any martial arts moves or tricky unarmed-combat stuff to be much use against someone who actually knows how to use a knife. There is a reason why mankind has used weapons over their fists for as long as we've been around on Terra, after all.

That's a good point. I've been operating on the assumption that the brother doesn't actually know how to use a knife, he's just an aggressive little sociopath who likes to scare people. I'm also guessing Naoto's not terribly aggressive by nature, which also complicates the situation.

Pocketa
2010-03-07, 04:26 PM
Video games aren't "real" in the sense that they actually matter in real life. 5 years from now, your game save will not matter. The wound/scar will. Priorities.

Real people don't care about video games that much.

My advice:

Get a new memory card. A cheap one.
Start hiding it.
Or get a portable system.
Or stop playing videogames.

And knife fights, eh. There's a ton of ways to retaliate, but this isn't that sort of forum. Carabiners can be worn as "brass" knuckles, and any sort of spray can work to irritate the eyes, albeit not as well as Mace. Weapons come in many shapes and forms.

Crimmy
2010-03-07, 05:09 PM
And knife fights, eh. There's a ton of ways to retaliate, but this isn't that sort of forum. Carabiners can be worn as "brass" knuckles, and any sort of spray can work to irritate the eyes, albeit not as well as Mace. Weapons come in many shapes and forms.

One general rule to fighting with sharp weapons: Make sure yours has a larger reach.

Once again, though, as stated by others: Avoid the violent encounter at all costs. Make sure that, if you do have to fight, either of you end up with as little damage as possible.

As Pocketa said, any spray will irritate the eyes.

It would be good not to fight over anything game-related. I'd suggest you try talking once more, in his room. This, to make a little reconnaissance. If the knife in question is not in-reach or in plain view, and he still doesn't understand, you can go for the always useful kick-out-of-the-room fight, in which you grab him and shove him out of the door. This way, the fight is even, and with any luck, he will try no retaliation.

If he does, it's gonna be armed assault, and he'l end up in jail. Make sure you have the upper hand in the intelligence, so try to scare him with just words, like "Don't try that, you will end up in jail" or things like that.

But, above all, try NOT to fight.

Solaris
2010-03-07, 05:20 PM
Video games aren't "real" in the sense that they actually matter in real life. 5 years from now, your game save will not matter. The wound/scar will. Priorities.

Real people don't care about video games that much.

My advice:

Get a new memory card. A cheap one.
Start hiding it.
Or get a portable system.
Or stop playing videogames.

Right, it's just that there's a history of petty theft and at least one threat of violence involved. My advice has been with the objective of removing a threat to person and property. Were it just this one isolated incident, it'd be a different story entirely.

Avoid a fight by any means possible, but once combat is joined curling up in a ball, plugging the ears, and singing "Lalalalalala" isn't going to make it stop. Once it pops off, the fun don't stop until one party or both has been incapacitated. Naoto has the sense in his head to stop once his brother has been beaten but not permanently damaged. His brother? I wouldn't put money on it.

Force
2010-03-07, 07:08 PM
He's twenty-two, his brother's eighteen. There's surprising resistance to exfiltration due to financial issues.

That's a good point. I've been operating on the assumption that the brother doesn't actually know how to use a knife, he's just an aggressive little sociopath who likes to scare people. I'm also guessing Naoto's not terribly aggressive by nature, which also complicates the situation.

If one has someone in the family who is physically threatening one as well as committing acts of petty theft, financial issues shouldn't prevent one from attempting to get away unless they're very large. Is living with other family members/friends possible? Unless it is quite literally impossible don't let financial issues hold you back from being safe, Naoto.

I will retract that statement: to some degree, martial arts and unarmed combat training CAN equalize the field against someone armed with a knife (especially someone who doesn't have that much experience). However, it is unlikely that Naoto will be able to learn them to the point that he would have a good chance in a knife fight unless he has equalizers (mace, pepper spray, or the best tool in a knife fight, a firearm). Though I suppose I can provide an an equalizer... Naoto, got access to some basic tools? I can teach you how to make fairly knife-proof armor.

And as Solaris says, once you're in a fight, it doesn't stop until one or the other of you is neutralized. The best defense is fast tennis shoes (I.E. running) but if you're in a house or otherwise pinned down take the offensive and don't hold back.

Extra_Crispy
2010-03-11, 05:27 AM
I second many of the responses. Try talking with parents. As that seems to have not worked so far, do what you need to do to be safe, period. Talk with the police and give them a heads up so that if he draws the knife on you again you can call them and then there is history there. This way it does not disolve into a he said he said type thing with you brother denieing everything and the police unable to say who is right. Get a lock for your door, if your parents throw a fit tell them that it is the only way you feel a little safe and they have done NOTHING to stop your brothers behavior. If they would knuckle up and stop him from taking your stuff then you will remove the lock.

If they know about him pulling a knife on you and have done nothing, make sure they know and explain you are not comfortable with him having a knife and that is another reason for the lock. IF they still do nothing ask them how they will feel when you or your brother is in the hospital or jail because if he pulls the knife again you are calling the cops. Remember though to ALWAYS do what you say. Tell your brother the same, that you will call the cops if he ever pulls the knife on you again.

Lastly like my father always told me "NEVER start a fight, but always finish it" Think about finding a way to get that knife away from your brother and then IF and only IF he starts getting physical with you make him NEVER want to raise a fist to you again.

Example from my own life: I have always been big, I was 6 feet tall and over 200 lbs when I entered highshool at 13 almost 14. I was picked on all the time when I was in grade school and middle school. It was the "whoever could beat up the big kid was the best in the school" but no one ever fought me alone it was usually in groups. Anyway I never started the fights I usually walked away but one day a kid took something from me. I told him I wanted it back, he laughed and threw a punch. Next thing I remember I was on my way to the principals office and he was on the way to the nurse, later found out I broke his nose and cheek bone. I was 10.

How this pertains to you is your brother might be doing all this because he knows you wont or cant do anything about it. Show him he is wrong. Dont start the fight but stand up and get your stuff back, stand up and make your parents do something about it and if he threatens you call the police and send is butt to jail. And if he throws a punch, finish it.

Now I dont know all of your situation, after all I am not you. Doing that may be completely out of the question for you. But I truely feel that your parents need to do something about the situation and if they wont then you should no matter what your parents think about locks and such. Then if it continues or he threatens you then the police need to be involved and they can settle it for your parents.