PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Help me optimize my Ranger/Rogue!

Faleldir
2010-03-06, 09:35 AM
My only goal is to get HQ and SA damage in the same round.

Race: half-orc
Class: ranger/rogue
Paragon path: daggermaster
Epic destiny: ?
Skills: ?
{table=head]Level|Powers|Feats
1|at-will: twin strike, riposte strike|HT: brutal scoundrel
|encounter: off-hand strike|
|daily: press the advantage|
2|utility: sneak in the attack|thirst for battle
3|encounter: ruffling sting|
4||menacing thug
5|daily: bloodbath|
6|utility: ignoble escape|WE: light blade
7|encounter: snap shot|
8||nimble blade
9|daily: knockout|
10|utility: combat tumbleset|t-w fighting
11|paragon: critical opportunity|t-w opening
12|paragon: meditation of the blade|fearsome assault
13|encounter: off-hand diversion ->1|
14||light blade precision
15|daily: arterial slice ->1|
16|utility: ?|?
17|encounter: tumbling strike ->7|
18||?
19|daily: ?|
20|paragon: deep dagger wound|?
21||ferocious critical
22|utility: ?|brutal advantage
23|encounter: ?|
24||?
25|daily: ?|
26|epic: |?
27|encounter: ?|
28||?
29|daily: ?|
30||?[/table]

Swordgleam
2010-03-06, 12:59 PM
If that's your only goal, it seems pretty simple. Quarry whomever you plan to attack, then get CA against them and attack. Alternately, figure out who you can get CA against most easily, and quarry and attack them. To that end, I'd focus on the powers and feats that let you get CA more easily, or automatically give you CA for a round.

Faleldir
2010-03-06, 02:43 PM
That's not how hybrid classes work. HQ only applies to Ranger powers and SA only applies to Rogue powers.

tcrudisi
2010-03-06, 04:06 PM
That's not how hybrid classes work. HQ only applies to Ranger powers and SA only applies to Rogue powers.

With all due respect, I thought you were a Ranger that MC'ed into Rogue. As such, Swordgleams advise is correct using what we inferred. Granted, I could have done more than a cursory look at the build, but since I didn't see feats, I just assumed you were power swapping.

It's still possible to get sneak attack every round with just the feat that lets you sneak attack 1/encounter. It's tricky, but doable.

If you are trying to do it as a hybrid, well, it becomes more difficult. It basically means that you need to either focus on powers that interrupt, react, or are usable as a minor action. Since the Ranger gets a lot of immediate reactions/interrupts and the Rogue gets a lot of minor actions, I don't see this being a problem. You would get 4 rounds (encounter powers) where you would get to apply both forms of damage.

Of course, if your overall goal is to do as much damage as possible, I think (note: I've not crunched any numbers) that you will lose damage by going this hybrid route. It basically means giving up on Twin Strike quite a bit, and that's just not efficient.

In fact, I would go normal class Ranger and multiclass Rogue. I would still go Daggermaster, and perhaps I would multiclass Avenger as well. Then I would use a Wraithblade and let the crits come rolling in. Yeah, I wouldn't crit every round, but it would be enough. Plus, it would still be more damage than going the hybrid route, I think.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-06, 04:09 PM
It's still possible to get sneak attack every round with just the feat that lets you sneak attack 1/encounter. It's tricky, but doable.
Wait... what? :smallconfused:

Dr.Epic
2010-03-06, 04:16 PM
Race: half-orc
Class: ranger/rogue

You can multiclass in 4th edition?!?!? And they brought half-orcs BACK?!?!? When did this happen?!? I feel so out of touch.

Oracle_Hunter
2010-03-06, 04:22 PM
You can multiclass in 4th edition?!?!? And they brought half-orcs BACK?!?!? When did this happen?!? I feel so out of touch.
You can "multiclass" (as in 3.5) since PHB 3 [which comes out soon].

Half-Orcs have been around since PHB 2 or March 2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Player%27s_Handbook#Dungeons_.26_Dragons_4th_editi on)

tcrudisi
2010-03-06, 04:35 PM
Wait... what? :smallconfused:

I mentioned it further down in my post, but I didn't make it very obvious. My apologies.

There is a magical weapon that is only found on light blades:

Wraithblade: blah blah blah, boring stuff. Then, Property: On a critical hit, if you have the sneak attack class feature (whether granted by class or multiclass feat), you may apply your bonus sneak attack damage even if you have already done so this round or this encounter. Gaining sneak attack damage in this way does not count toward its use restriction.