PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Diary of Class Creation: A Blackguard

Tequila Sunrise
2010-03-06, 11:08 AM
Thanks to a nostalgia thread, I decided to write my own homebrewed Blackguard class -- at least through level 10. Link. (https://docs.google.com/fileview?id=0B13rBX1CAB0XY2E4MmM2YjItMWQ0Yy00MDZlL ThiY2UtZDYwM2M4ODc1NWJh&hl=en)

Thoughts on My First 4e Class Creation:

Writing creative, balanced and appropriate powers takes time. Whatever shortcomings the professionals at WotC may have, I give them props for the zillions of powers they write. Just writing a bare minimum of two powers for each of the ten heroic power levels was taxing for me -- no doubt you'll notice that many of my attack powers are very similar.

Writing everything else was easy for me, and mostly just fell into place. Role, builds and even feats were mostly a matter of just writing down my thoughts. I'm particularly pleased with the blackguard's undead servant -- a 4e pet that has its own actions without breaking the class IMO.

But tell me what you think! Too weak, too strong? Different enough from the paladin, not different enough?

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-06, 02:45 PM
He is a striker. Where is the extra damage?

Apropos
2010-03-06, 03:09 PM
I think it would be more appropriate to make a Paragon Path called Black Guard any class with a Divine power source. And rename this one to something else.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-03-06, 07:02 PM
He is a striker. Where is the extra damage?
Undead servant.

I think it would be more appropriate to make a Paragon Path called Black Guard any class with a Divine power source. And rename this one to something else.
You mean a PP that any divine character could take?

Reynard
2010-03-06, 07:39 PM
Aren't Blackguards usually fallen Paladins?

This thread gave me an idea for a possible PP feature.

Dark Touch (11th): You can use your Lay on Hands at-will as a Wisdom vs Reflex attack to deal your healing surge value as damage to a single target. You spend a healing surge when you do this, but gain no hit points.

deathpigeon
2010-03-06, 08:18 PM
Aren't Blackguards usually fallen Paladins?

This thread gave me an idea for a possible PP feature.

Dark Touch (11th): You can use your Lay on Hands at-will as a Wisdom vs Reflex attack to deal your healing surge value as damage to a single target. You spend a healing surge when you do this, but gain no hit points.

I don't see how this couldn't be a follower of a good or unaligned deity. Its just a divine striker which specializes in necromantic powers, and has an undead pet, also there should be coordinated attacks with the undead servants, and special powers for it, kinda like a beastmaster ranger's pet.

AgentPaper
2010-03-06, 09:09 PM
You've got WAY too many path-specific features. Essentially, when you choose whether you go for Black Idol or Black Tower, you're choosing all of your attack powers right then and there. This is the same trap that the Warlock fall into, and just kills any customization. You may as well just have two different classes at that point.

Gralamin
2010-03-06, 09:20 PM
First of all, I'm guessing since it has all armor proficiencies that it is supposed to be secondary defender. If this is so, you may consider bumping up the HP to match Avenger (14/6). Either way, you likely should drop Plate and Heavy Shields, since the Paladin is a primary defender with that as one of its advantage. I'd in fact drain it right down to chainmail.

Implements: Better Implements then Swordmage.

Wicked Boon: I see no reason to ever take Guard of the Black Idol. Since all Armor Proficiencies are available. Mix with the fact that the power seems to help allies hit, which as far as I can tell isn't this guys job, and I would never take it. Guard of the Black Tower is much better.

Channel Divinity: Should read "Once per encounter, you can use a Channel Divinity Power. You start with two Channel Divinity powers: Divine Strength and Command Undead. You can gain additional Channel Divinity powers by taking divinity feats."

Divine Strength is taken right from Paladin. Since all other Divine classes have unique Channel Divinities, I would recommend coming up with a new idea for it.

Command Undead is way too strong, and should be a controller feature, not a striker feature. The Invoker's rebuke undead deals some damage, pushes and dazes on a hit, and deals half damage on a miss. Dominating on a hit and dazing on a miss is WAY too strong.

Necrotic Power: Too strong with powers. Gets rid of almost every resistance.

Undead Servant:
First, having its own set of actions makes it all around better then the Rangers Beast Companion, and this is likely a bad thing.
Second, This companion technically never adds it ability scores to damage, making them completely useless. It also has no trained skills (Such as perception so it gets use out of its darkvision).

Animate Undead Servant is Better then Raise Beast Companion in almost every way.

Powers:
Blackguard Strike - Just like a Rogue Power
Black Idol Strike - Too strong. Make next attack roll. Also, this is a leader power.
Black Tower Strike - So, they now have divine Sanction?

Fear of the Black Idol - Decent, I guess. Also, Implement powers CANNOT use [W].
Fear of the Black Tower - So he at-will without the mark. Also, Implement powers CANNOT use [W].

Encounter 1s are listed twice.

Terror of the Black Idol: Cannot use [w] since its implement. Very nice.
Terror of the Black Tower: Cannot use [w] Since its implement. Won't take ever, just grab Terror of the Black Idol instead. Does the job much better.

Darkling Messenger: Technically the message seems to give the bonus or the marking, while the reply does nothing, which is weird. Also, pretty much useless.
Blackguard's Spite: Why would I ever not take this?

Flame of the Black Idol: Way too early for this sort of effect, unless you are a Warlord.
Flame of the Black Tower: Make an enemy useless for a turn.

Spite of the Black Idol & Tower: Power wording makes no sense. Technically no saving throw, Charisma and wisdom modifier don't seem to do anything?

Unholy Lantern: Isn't this a cleric power?
Voice of Loathing: This looks oddly familiar, but I can't place it. Also, not enough fear powers to see much use.

Rime of the Black Idol: Way too good. If you made it so it was only vs you/your companion, it'd be decent. Speaking of which, do you plan on having your companion dealing only 1d6 damage with a chance to miss all of this time :smallconfused:
Rime of the Black Tower: Useless.

Lightning of the Black Idol: Good.
Lightning of the Black Tower: Good.

Fiendish Messenger: Much better then Ambassador Imp. Also, what happens to the item if you choose not to pay?
Shroud of Darkness: Why even make it a choice? HUGE Resistance for the encounter, or concealment for one turn?

Feats
Grasping Servant: decent
Immortal Servant: Very nice
Dark Initiate: Useless.
Forceful Servant: Wondering if you'd ever have some way of getting around that.
Dark Victory: Very good.

In conclusion: I don't see a lot of originality: I see some favorite features from a bunch of other classes put together and increased in power, as well as some critical mistakes on how the rules work. I would not allow this into any game I run (And I am a rather homebrew friendly DM).

Tequila Sunrise
2010-03-07, 12:54 AM
You've got WAY too many path-specific features. Essentially, when you choose whether you go for Black Idol or Black Tower, you're choosing all of your attack powers right then and there. This is the same trap that the Warlock fall into, and just kills any customization. You may as well just have two different classes at that point.
True. If I keep at this project, I'll be sure to remedy this problem with general blackguard powers.

In conclusion: I don't see a lot of originality: I see some favorite features from a bunch of other classes put together and increased in power, as well as some critical mistakes on how the rules work. I would not allow this into any game I run (And I am a rather homebrew friendly DM).
Thank you for your insight. Balancing powers is not my strong point, so your comments are a big help.

As to originality: I admit that it wasn't a goal of this project. Or at least, my goal isn't to write a whole class' worth of totally original powers -- my goal is to simply combine a bunch of powers, some original and many stolen, into an original whole. I'm not a professional, and I simply don't have the creativity to write up all new powers all on my own.

First of all, I'm guessing since it has all armor proficiencies that it is supposed to be secondary defender. If this is so, you may consider bumping up the HP to match Avenger (14/6). Either way, you likely should drop Plate and Heavy Shields, since the Paladin is a primary defender with that as one of its advantage. I'd in fact drain it right down to chainmail.
The BT Guard is meant to be a secondary defender, for players who want to emphasize the heavily armored anti-paladin concept. The BI Guard is meant to be a secondary leader.

I'm not sure I want to take away any armors, as they reinforce the secondary defender role and the anti-paladinness, but you may be right.

Implements: Better Implements then Swordmage.
Time for another admission: I think all weaplement classes should allow weapons as implements. (Restricting swordmages to one-handed weaplements is part of the class' balance, but restricting them to swords is just fluff.) That a paladin has to wait until epic levels to get a special sword just so he can use all his powers competently is retarded, IMO.

I suppose I could limit blackguard weaplements to a list of favored weapons by deity, to appease fluff-centric DMs, but that would be another thing to balance...

Wicked Boon: I see no reason to ever take Guard of the Black Idol. Since all Armor Proficiencies are available. Mix with the fact that the power seems to help allies hit, which as far as I can tell isn't this guys job, and I would never take it. Guard of the Black Tower is much better.
That's funny because I kept on thinking "this BI build is looking much cooler than the BT build -- I wonder if anyone will ever go BT?"

Both builds have powers that step well outside the striker's role -- but I figure if a player wants to go 100% striker he'll just play a ranger.

Command Undead is way too strong, and should be a controller feature, not a striker feature. The Invoker's rebuke undead deals some damage, pushes and dazes on a hit, and deals half damage on a miss. Dominating on a hit and dazing on a miss is WAY too strong.
It may be too strong, but I don't want it to deal damage. The idea is to hearken back to the days of the real rebuke undead.

Necrotic Power: Too strong with powers. Gets rid of almost every resistance.
Am I wrong in thinking that the target's best resistance applies to damage of multiple types? I assumed that because Astral Storm (PHB 72) specifies the reverse that the usual rule gives the defender's resistance the advantage.

Undead Servant:
First, having its own set of actions makes it all around better then the Rangers Beast Companion, and this is likely a bad thing.
You may be right, but can you think of a way to abuse it?

Second, This companion technically never adds it ability scores to damage, making them completely useless. It also has no trained skills (Such as perception so it gets use out of its darkvision).
I kept the servant's ability mods away from its damage to keep the blackguard in line with other strikers. The servant is akin to hunter's quarry dice, sneak attack, etc.

My one worry about the blackguard's strikerness is that damage resistance neuters them. There is the Forceful Servant feat, but it feels feat tax-y.

Animate Undead Servant is Better then Raise Beast Companion in almost every way.
Given that this is a different class, can you think of a problem that might arise from the two not being exactly alike?

Speaking of which, do you plan on having your companion dealing only 1d6 damage with a chance to miss all of this time
Yes. Your servant might miss its attack roll, but then again so might you. Two attacks means two chances to do some damage.

Keep in mind that your servant is probably flanking with you or an ally all the live-long day, granting a pretty constant +2 attack bonus.

Dark Initiate: Useless.
Not for any melee character, particularly a rogue.

Implement powers CANNOT use [W].
I'll edit the implement powers, but just out of curiosity: is this a RULE or a design convention?

AgentPaper
2010-03-07, 01:15 AM
Dark Initiate is basically free combat advantage+meatshield. You should make it last until the end of your next turn, and be able to take standard actions. That puts it generally in line with the other multiclass feats, I think, perhaps a bit more powerful than most.

Gralamin
2010-03-07, 01:31 AM
Thank you for your insight. Balancing powers is not my strong point, so your comments are a big help.
No problem.

Time for another admission: I think all weaplement classes should allow weapons as implements. (Restricting swordmages to one-handed weaplements is part of the class' balance, but restricting them to swords is just fluff.) That a paladin has to wait until epic levels to get a special sword just so he can use all his powers competently is retarded, IMO.
Note down that then. And just put in a replacement if you don't use that rule.

It may be too strong, but I don't want it to deal damage. The idea is to hearken back to the days of the real rebuke undead.
While that may be the goal, I'm not sure that is a good one to have.

Am I wrong in thinking that the target's best resistance applies to damage of multiple types? I assumed that because Astral Storm (PHB 72) specifies the reverse that the usual rule gives the defender's resistance the advantage.
By Errata, the lowest Resistance applies. So, the more damage types the better.

You may be right, but can you think of a way to abuse it?
Depends on situations really. No idea immediately comes to mind. But, giving free actions is usually not a good sign.

I kept the servant's ability mods away from its damage to keep the blackguard in line with other strikers. The servant is akin to hunter's quarry dice, sneak attack, etc.
Just making sure that was intentional.

My one worry about the blackguard's strikerness is that damage resistance neuters them. There is the Forceful Servant feat, but it feels feat tax-y.
But is needed.

Given that this is a different class, can you think of a problem that might arise from the two not being exactly alike?
The main issue is that the ranger has to pay 4 hours of time. You only have to pay 5 minutes. That is a substantial advantage.

Not for any melee character, particularly a rogue.
Abusive for a rogue yes.

I'll edit the implement powers, but just out of curiosity: is this a RULE or a design convention?
Rule. You require the weapon keyword to use [W], which adds in the weapon proficiency bonus as well. See Damage Rolls on page 276, and remember that the weapon keyword is required to be using a weapon for the attack.

Tequila Sunrise
2010-03-09, 07:01 PM
If anyone is interested, I've finally gotten around to tweaking this bad boy. [Wow, that was a really bad pun...] OP link updated. Changes include:

Less armor profs

Power clarifications & tweaks

Necrotic power requires a hp sacrifice (now that I'm looking at it again, I think the hp sacrifice needs to increase with tier).

Undead Servant tweaks

I've still got a lot of work to do, but I think the class is improving. I'm going to post this on another forum too; hopefully I can find one or two others who will be as helpful as Gralamin has been. :)

And on an ironic note Gralamin, Voice of Loathing (U6) is one of the few powers which are TS originals.