PDA

View Full Version : 4E: Bard/Defender

Grynning
2010-03-06, 05:09 PM
So my little bro is going to play in a game where the DM has asked everyone to make bards (it's an idea he's had for a while, they're probably going to be a literal "band"). Since bards are fairly versatile and can multiclass at their pleasure, he's assuming that all the party roles can be adequately covered and the extra healing and utility will make up for any shortcomings.

My bro wants to be the "defender" but we're kinda at a loss as the best way to do it. He was thinking Swordmage hybrid or multiclass with an Int build, I was thinking going the other way with a Valorous bard and some martial multiclassing. Any thoughts from the playground would be welcome.

Mordokai
2010-03-06, 05:12 PM
Goliath or half-orc bard (or any other race that gives bonus to STR), take Traveler's Harlequin for extra multiclassing options at level 11 and get a free feat for choosing appropriate powers?

In my experience, cunning bards make for great MC controllers/healers, but I have little experience with valorous bards. If there is a STR/CHA combo race, it should be quite easy to pull of, imo.

tcrudisi
2010-03-06, 05:27 PM
If there is a STR/CHA combo race, it should be quite easy to pull of, imo.

Dragonborn came to my mind immediately. There are probably others.

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-06, 05:30 PM
There's a broken Bard/Paladin build. I vote for that. Pick up Hammer Rhythm.

EDIT: OH! And MC Warlord to get Battlelord of Kord or whatever it is. Attacking up to your Cha score is niiiiice.

Mordokai
2010-03-06, 05:32 PM
Dragonborn came to my mind immediately. There are probably others.

Riiiiight... silly me :smalltongue:

Shows which races I never play :smallbiggrin: So there you go, DB bard would probably be a good start. You can take it from there. After all, bards are nothing if not versatile.

Mando Knight
2010-03-06, 06:09 PM
There are probably others.

As of now, Dragonborn are the only Strength/Charisma race.

Grynning
2010-03-06, 06:46 PM
Bard/Paladin seems to be the ticket. Apparently this game will be level 6, setting details are unknown. Would Str really be needed if you just focus on the cha-based pally powers? We were thinking Half-Elf for the race.

Edit: Here's a quick build we whipped up. Suggestions for improvement?

====== Created Using Wizards of the Coast D&D Character Builder ======
level 6
Half-Elf, Paladin|Bard
Hybrid Paladin: Hybrid Paladin Fortitude
Hybrid Bard: Hybrid Bard Reflex
Hybrid Talent: Paladin Armor Proficiency

FINAL ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 17, Dex 8, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 19.

STARTING ABILITY SCORES
Str 13, Con 14, Dex 8, Int 12, Wis 13, Cha 16.

AC: 25 Fort: 18 Reflex: 18 Will: 18
HP: 55 Surges: 11 Surge Value: 13

TRAINED SKILLS
Intimidate +12, Perception +9, Athletics +5, Religion +9

UNTRAINED SKILLS
Acrobatics, Arcana +5, Bluff +8, Diplomacy +10, Dungeoneering +5, Endurance +3, Heal +5, History +5, Insight +7, Nature +5, Stealth -1, Streetwise +8, Thievery -1

FEATS
Level 1: Hybrid Talent
Level 2: Action Surge
Level 4: Group Defense
Level 6: Improved Initiative

POWERS
Dilettante: Focusing Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: Virtuous Strike
Hybrid at-will 1: War Song Strike
Hybrid encounter 1: Valorous Smite
Hybrid daily 1: Verse of Triumph
Hybrid utility 2: Call of Challenge
Hybrid encounter 3: Inspiring Refrain
Hybrid daily 5: Hallowed Circle
Hybrid utility 6: Song of Speed

ITEMS
Heavy Shield, Imposter's Plate Armor +2, Transference Warhammer +2, Amulet of Life +1, Magic Holy Symbol +1, Acrobat Boots (heroic tier)
====== Copy to Clipboard and Press the Import Button on the Summary Tab ======

LibraryOgre
2010-03-06, 08:01 PM
Since you're looking to defender-aspect your Bard, I'd suggest looking at Fighter. There is one MC Fighter feat that gives you an attack of opportunity if someone shifts away from you... with a Dragonborn (I'd say Virtue of Cunning, to avoid overlap between Str/Con), you can keep people more locked down. Throw on some Warden for the Multi-mark, and maybe some Paladin for the Divine Challenge. You can switch out of Dragonborn and into Half-elf if you want to invest in Melee Training (Charisma), which might be a good idea, and would let you go Virtue of Valor (which is a bit better for a bard who wants to defend), AND pick up a spare Encounter Power from another class.