PDA

View Full Version : How dare you challange my opinion?

Boci
2010-03-06, 08:07 PM
This idea seems to be going around a lot lately. The idea that people have no right to comment on someone else's opinion, since an opinion cannot be wrong. In my opinion, this idea is stupid. The moment you post your opinions on an internet forum, you have given everyone else on that forum the permission to comment on your opinions, to challenge them and to argue with you about them.
They are not saying you have no right to an opinion; they just want to discuss your opinion with you to find the reasoning behind it.
For example, let's say I post on a general chat thread that the music of Beethoven is vastly overrated. That it my opinion. Someone responds asking how many works of his I have listened to and who I am comparing him to. I have three options:
1. Be morally offended that someone is implying I do not know what I am talking about and challenging my opinion.
2. Ignore it, or leave a quick comment saying I do not wish to debate it.
3. Respond by laying out more detail.

I think the 2nd and 3rd option are valid, but the 1st one is pointless for so many reasons.

End rant.

Ashram
2010-03-06, 08:10 PM
How does this relate to gaming, at all? >.>

I mean, I could see the correlation if this had been about DMs saying the thread's title, but it isn't.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-06, 08:11 PM
Umm... I fail to see how this ties into gaming. Maybe one of the other forums? :smallconfused:

But I do see your point and agree. If you stats an opinion others will challenge it.

Boci
2010-03-06, 08:12 PM
Umm... I fail to see how this ties into gaming. Maybe one of the other forums? :smallconfused:

Sorry, ToB thread got to my head. Didn't really stop to think.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-06, 08:12 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: Welcome to the internet life.