PDA

View Full Version : Best Cleric Domains

Lysander
2010-03-06, 08:22 PM
What are your favorite cleric domains? The travel domain seems exceptionally good to me. It gives you a bunch of really useful spells like Fly and Teleport, andd gives you automatic freedom of movement for rounds a day equal to your class level. Survival as a class skill is a nice freebie.

Which domain is your favorite?

Soranar
2010-03-06, 08:27 PM
elf is really good with certain builds

point blank shot for free, true strike as a cleric spell is great

fate is also really good (uncanny dodge)

and my all time favorite for high level games: Time

improved initiative + Timestop

Ernir
2010-03-06, 08:29 PM
War is a recent favourite, but that's mostly because I like Ordained Champion more than I should.

Pride's domain ability is awesome. So is the one of Inquisition.

I like trading Knowledge away for Knowledge Devotion. :smalltongue:

Trickery, Time, Spell. Magic if you're dipping (along with pretty much any domain which grants a feat as a granted ability).

Nerocite
2010-03-06, 08:30 PM
Undeath and Deathbound are both great for controlling tons of undead.

Kylarra
2010-03-06, 08:31 PM
I'm fond of Time and Magic domains personally.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-06, 08:33 PM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=420.0

For Core:

As far as the Domain Powers go Knowledge, Luck, Magic, Sun, Travel and Trickery are held in high esteem.

For Domain Spells there are lots of decent options and a few bad ones.

For non-Core:

go check that thread

~~~~

It's also worth noting that Cloistered Clerics are pretty cool if you're not into running around in Full Plate hitting things all the time. They get the Knowledge Domain for free along with more skill points and a Bardic Knowledge type ability.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-06, 08:40 PM
I'm a fan of the Metal Domain, myself.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-06, 08:43 PM
truth and passion. Trickery if a cloistered cleric.

AslanCross
2010-03-06, 09:23 PM
Travel gets a really good spell list: fly, teleport, etc. Trickery does too: it gets Time Stop, for crying out loud.
Magic is a great domain. It gets antimagic field really early and helps you cast wizard spells from scrolls.
Force is pretty good if you want to make a blaster cleric.
Domination is pretty awesome, but not if the campaign is undead heavy.
War is also a good domain, great if you want to take martial cleric prcs like ordained champion.

I think the worst ones are the alignment domains. Knowledge is pretty good, but simply going cloistered cleric gets it as an additional domain.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-06, 09:27 PM
I love the Trickery Domain. Vecna gives it and it has PAO. Epic. Win. (For Evil people)

Volkov
2010-03-06, 09:40 PM
Undeath and Deathbound are both great for controlling tons of undead.

No sir, Undeath only gives you extra turning, The blood domain increases how many undead you can have commanded by your rebuke power.

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-06, 09:43 PM
Inquisition, hands down.

+4 to dispel checks is absolutely beefy.

Keld Denar
2010-03-06, 10:02 PM
Inquisition, hands down.

+4 to dispel checks is absolutely beefy.

Agreed.

I'm also pretty fond of Good in core. +1 CL on [Good] spells is really strong when you combine it with other forms of +CL effects (Divine Spell Powah, Orange IWIN Stone, etc) for righteous Holy Word nuking. The best thing about most outsiders is that their HD scale poorly with CR, unlike undead, so its easy to blast them straight out of the multiverse with a little tweakin.

JaronK
2010-03-06, 10:49 PM
Planning is great for Extra Turning, too. I'm definitely a fan of that one. And of course Time.

JaronK

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-06, 11:08 PM
I like all the ones that have already been mentioned Pride is great reroll 1's rolled on saving throws. I like Pact and Competion alot for nonclerics adding spells to their list. Pact has well all the great pact spells from spell compedium which are awsome because they are permanent until triggered so you can cast the a week before you use them. Competition has some of cleric's best buffs divine power and righteous might it also has moment of prescience.

faceroll
2010-03-06, 11:22 PM
I am fond of the 3.0 mysticism prestige domain. Gives you charisma to saves. :smallbiggrin:

Curmudgeon
2010-03-07, 01:01 AM
I tend to use Pride a lot; also Celerity for the +10' speed boost.

Pluto
2010-03-07, 01:42 AM
Transformation and Shadow, with Inquisition and Spider as honorable mentions.

Transformation because Polymorph effects are really nifty, even ignoring their brokeness. Open-ended abilities are fun.

Shadow feels like being the Green Lantern.

Inquisition because it comes with Church Inquisitor which means you're Fox Mulder. And Conterspelling is something that I love being able to do right.

Spider because all its effects are just so neat - walking on the walls, zipping around on a giant demon spider, commanding spiders the size of skyscrapers... fun stuff.

AslanCross
2010-03-07, 01:48 AM
I have to agree that Inquisition is pretty awesome too. +4 to Dispel checks is win.

Optimystik
2010-03-07, 02:21 AM
Travel and Trickery are my usual two. In FR games that puts me under Akadi, setting me up nicely for Cleric/Monk/Sacred Fist.

Felyndiira
2010-03-07, 02:56 AM
Trickery's my favorite, and is practically always my spontaneous domain. PAO, invisibility, illusion (Screen one level early), and time stop rolled into one domain, while confusion makes a great save-or-screw early on in the game. I never pick the deities with the Travel domain, so Fly and Teleport goodness is typically denied to me (on the other hand, Lolth has Trickery).

Spider, Time, and Oracle are others that I like and come across decently often; I also tend to favor the Divine Magician "domain," which basically opens up three wizard schools (granted, not the best ones) for me to pick nine spells from. Arrow Mind, Mind Blank, Maw of Chaos, Starmantle, Magic Jar, Enervation, Waves of Fatigue/Exhaustion, Disjunction, and Moment of Prescience are all very nice spells to add to the cleric list.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-07, 03:41 AM
Travel is also a lot of fun, and not just for Travel Devotion. Being the Taxi Cab means your party wizard doesn't have to be. Plus... Port n Pwn!

Eldariel
2010-03-07, 03:52 AM
In Core, I absolutely adore Trickery+Travel combination. Too bad no Core-deity offers it, but meh. Trickery just has some of the best spells ever, especially on the higher level, and Travel gives you both, some key magic and one of the best abilities.

Optimystik
2010-03-07, 03:58 AM
In Core, I absolutely adore Trickery+Travel combination. Too bad no Core-deity offers it, but meh. Trickery just has some of the best spells ever, especially on the higher level, and Travel gives you both, some key magic and one of the best abilities.

In FR, Akadi offers both - Greater Deity, goddess of the air.

Eldariel
2010-03-07, 03:58 AM
In FR, Akadi offers both - Greater Deity, goddess of the air.

There's a lot of others that offer both; if one has Deities & Demigods, there's just a wealth of choice. In Core though...meh.

faceroll
2010-03-07, 04:56 AM
Where's transfromation from?