PDA

View Full Version : Most far out campaign/setting idea you've ever had?

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-06, 08:25 PM
I've had some pretty bad (... or good?) ones myself :smallcool::

In the aftermath of the global Depths War between the surface world and the Underdark Alliance, the Drow-led coalition of Underdark nations bent on world domination, the world is split between the two remaining economic and military superpowers: the Dragonborn empire of Arkhosia in the east and the diabolic empire of Bael Turath in the west. Formerly allied in the coalition of surface dwellers, the two empires have split off with vast and irreconciliable ideological differences.

Tensions rise once again, yet, miraculously, the two empires have never met in armed conflict. This is perhaps because they realize such a conflict would result in Mutually Assured Destruction, especially if escalated to the point where the empires would unleash their weapons that won the war: excavated armories of supergolems (Godforged Colossi) built perhaps by the Gods themselves and able to wreak havoc on global scales.

As a result, the Arkhosian/Turathi "Warm War" is being waged in proxy, by secretly supplying factions of other nations with weapons, training, and technology to enforce the Arkhosian or Turathi agenda.

The players are residents of one such nation, a small, metropolitan "melting pot" that prides itself on diversity and open-mindedness. However, as propaganda filters in from both sides, the people are beginning split themselves along ideological lines and political fanaticism seems to be tearing the whole nation apart. Ever since [Plot Hook], the players will have to navigate an increasingly dangerous world and eventually take a devil's bargain in the wake of draconic invasion or stay neutral and try to prevent global annihilation at the uncaring, crystal hands of the Godforged Colossi.

edit: Alternate plot:

The players are high school students at the town of Bael Camtar when the unthinkable happens: Arkhosian winged troops land and and invade the town! Going into hiding in the ashen forests, the players must resort to guerilla tactics to resist the Scaled Dawn.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-06, 08:37 PM
Okay, this may be a bit wacky, but hear me out.

There's a planet. And the only sentient race on it... is humans! Excepting, of course, the one island the humans never explored... where all kinds of fantastic races live. And now, the humans have finally progressed enough to the point where they can explore the island. You're part of a small group sent to scout out a small bit and see where the best place to create a settlement would be. What will you find?

I guess it's kind of like Xanth, but with less puns and not in Florida, now that I think about it. :smallconfused:

flabort
2010-03-06, 09:24 PM
There's one in the homebrew section, were it's a massive "Space Elevator", or "Tower to Infinite". I just posted there, even.

It may (or may not) be so high, the wizards and people living in it, and still building it, have no idea if people actually live on the ground, and those on the ground have no idea what's still making it. in any case, they can't see the top, even on the best of days, with magic.

Volkov
2010-03-06, 09:26 PM
There is a world named Jixiplix, and on it, Men clad in silver powered armor armed with nuclear powered, rapid fire explosive laser guns fight an endless war with caped canadian bears that shoot lasers out of their eyes.

I was very drunk that night and played too much Age of empires and Age of Mythology.

balistafreak
2010-03-06, 09:40 PM
A campaign where all the PCs are essentially positive-energy liches. Their phylacteries are all stored in a demiplane (created via Genesis) accessible only by them, essentially giving them infinite lives.

Which they'll need. The reason why? They are heroes assigned to take over mortal bodies in times of need, where a few key actions might tip the fate of nations.

Where they enter the bodies of guardsmen making a final stand, buying time for a future hero still in his infancy to escape...

Where they enter the bodies of an elite strike team aiming straight for the evil overlord's base in a suicide mission...

Where they enter the bodies of genuninely good prisoners on death row to make a more convincing case for their innocence...

Basically, a campaign of nothing but Heroic Sacrifices and Last Stands, where all character roles are preassigned...

It was supercool, but unfortunately it has the problem of making a last stand seem much less epic the fifth time you do it. Perhaps we should have kept it as a "player-service" campaign...