PDA

View Full Version : (4E) Melee rangers and AC

Goonthegoof
2010-03-06, 09:09 PM
I've been looking at the builds for melee rangers and they all seem to reward strength primary wisdom secondary, but they don't have wis to AC or the ability to use plate. Where do they get their AC from?

Break
2010-03-06, 09:24 PM
Either splitting their stats between Dex and Wis, or burning the feats to get heavy armor.

Mando Knight
2010-03-06, 09:26 PM
In practice, I find that they use Dexterity secondary unless they dip into Fighter to grab Pit Fighter (Wis to damage... mix with Ranger for... you know the meme) and/or grab at least chainmail armor proficiency.

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-06, 09:28 PM
Wee-ell... from their dexterity.

At least, that's what it literally says in the PHB. :smallconfused:

edit: that'll teach me to take a bathroom break before hitting post. :smallfrown:

Break
2010-03-06, 09:30 PM
Note that all melee rangers don't really reward a huge Wis score. Stormwarden builds, in particular, lean much more heavily on Dex than Wis.

Master_Rahl22
2010-03-06, 09:31 PM
I think they probably just kill everything in sight and then don't need AC. I don't know to be honest, but if you're playing a melee Ranger, you're not there for uber defenses. You're there for uber offense.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-06, 09:39 PM
Yeah, I kind of noticed. I think chainmail is probably the best option, I'm doing running attack with a farbond spellblade fullblade and Throw and Stab+Marauder's Charge. Any good ideas for what combat style I should be using?

Sir Homeslice
2010-03-06, 09:55 PM
Yeah, I kind of noticed. I think chainmail is probably the best option, I'm doing running attack with a farbond spellblade fullblade and Throw and Stab+Marauder's Charge. Any good ideas for what combat style I should be using?

None of the combat styles are good for a TSMR Ranger.

Goonthegoof
2010-03-07, 03:13 AM
I'm thinking of losing running attack and just getting a wolf, an animal companion has gotta be worth +1 attack.

DragonBaneDM
2010-03-07, 03:17 AM
Eh, it's really complicated for not too much reward. If you know how to play a Beastmaster, though, go for it.