PDA

View Full Version : Kobold Master Trap Maker

AbyssKnight
2010-03-06, 11:25 PM
So, I am considering a character for the next game coming up. The idea is a kobold master trapper.

The race (kobold) is set. I am planning on taking both Combat Trapsmith (CompScoundrel) and Trapsmith (Dungeonscape).

What I would like some comments on are what base class to take (Rogue, Scout, Spellthief, Factotum)? Must have Trapfinding.

Also, I still need to fill in the last 5 levels of the character. I am considering Dark Hunter (CompWarrior) and Dungeon Delver (CompAdventurer). Any recommendations here? Would there be a better choice?

Thanks for any help.

Yorrin
2010-03-06, 11:32 PM
To keep in line with the flavor- for the last 5 levels go Master Thrower and use Nets. Spell-storing nets rock, and it fits the concept of a sneaky indirect Kobold trap user. Spelltheif as a starting class would allow you to cast a bit into your own net, if the party Wizard doesn't feel like it.

Kosjsjach
2010-03-07, 12:25 AM
Master Thrower is a bit feat-intensive, so while flavorful, there are probably superior avenues.

I have a kobold master trapmonkey statted out that I've been dying to use. He's gone through a few iterations, but his current build slates him as an Old (Venerable felt like I was pushing it, funnily enough) Dragonwrought Desert Kobold (with the racial features from the Races of the Dragon Web Enhancement) Factotum 5/ Trapsmith 5/ Factotum +X. Factotum would've been better to take all the way through, but I built him expressly to be a trapmaker so I couldn't.

Factotum gives you a Caster Level, so a terrific feat to take is Craft Wondrous Item. Your (extremely) limited spells per day aren't nearly as much of an issue when you use them for magic traps! :smallbiggrin: It's perfect with your access to every wizard spell in the game (to a certain level).

Alternatively, you could take the Kobold Rogue racial substitution levels, making you slightly better at finding and disabling traps.

Good luck!

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-07, 09:05 AM
Artificer. On both ends. So you can make better magical traps and use infusions on normal traps on the fly.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-07, 09:25 AM
Factotum because You are the expert of all trades, master of some.

Soranar
2010-03-07, 09:58 AM
And another vote for Factotum

For all the reasons mentioned above and the fact that you benefit from your high intel without playing a wizard.

Darrin
2010-03-07, 11:42 PM
To keep in line with the flavor- for the last 5 levels go Master Thrower and use Nets. Spell-storing nets rock, and it fits the concept of a sneaky indirect Kobold trap user.

Lassos (BoED) would work better than nets, actually. Nets have a size restriction, lassos don't.

kyuubigan
2010-04-26, 02:21 PM
I've got a Kobold trapper I'm running right now. He's a Scout 4/Ninja 2/Combat Trapsmith 4.

Eventually he'll be a Scout 8/Ninja 2/Combat Trapsmith 5/Trapsmith 5.

Kobold trapmakers are extremely useful, and make any dungeon delve ten times easier.

It's also one of the best roleplay experiences I've had in years. I always use a squeaky voice when I speak in character.

If you have any questions, feel free to message me.

Greenish
2010-04-26, 02:27 PM
Kobold cloistered cleric with kobold, trickery and knowledge domains.