PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Choosing magical items

Magdela
2010-03-06, 11:47 PM
My DM is different in how he gives us items. Instead of giving us gold and a town, they tend to pop up randomly in the world.

Our party consists of:
A fighter 4 who likes walking up to stuff and hitting it. CN
A fighter 4 who likes to hit things with pointy sticks from afar. CG
A barbarian 4 who likes smashing things. CN
A sorcerer (me). I like making my enemies completely useless :D. CN
A cleric of Pelor, likes healing us and using his large mace. LG

After doing a job involving me putting 2 bugbears to sleep and the dude we were supposed to just rough up getting shot in the leg by an arrow for a pimp, he brought up a cart from a dimensional door/plane shifted drawn by 2 camels with TONS of magical items in the back.

He's not killable, we're a 4th level party and it's all our first campaign, save for our veteran DM. So get that idea out of your head.

The party has a choice of either a 1 10th level item for the entire party to share.

Or 1 2nd level item for each party member.

Anything above second level we only get 1.

Items we already have:
Hat of Disguise
Some gloves that let you climb up walls or something.

Now I'm asking for your advice playground, since we almost had an agreement on the amulet of farspeak, but one player (the melee fighter) didn't like it.

Nothing game breaking please.

deuxhero
2010-03-07, 12:21 AM
2nd level for items?

Anyways, infinite Prestidigitation item (1*.5*2000=1000) is amazing (Remember that infinite duration means any changes that last the spells duration last untill you take it off/enter an AMF/get dispelled. It is even more fun then).

Iku Rex
2010-03-07, 01:55 AM
Item levels are from MIC. 2nd level is 400 gp or less, 10th level is 6500 gp or less.

A farspeaking amulet seems like a good idea to me.

A tan bag of tricks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#bagofTricks) (6300 gp) could come in very handy at your level.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-07, 02:22 AM
Rod of Sure Striking?

Magdela
2010-03-07, 10:59 AM
Rod of Sure Striking?

I'd say that, but what's the point when I can cast true strike which is double that? I seem to already fulfill the role of that.

Yes, the tan bag of tricks looks interesting, but won't that just give us diminishing returns at later levels? On top of that, the DM said he's up the ante if we chose something that made encounters more difficult.

Lysander
2010-03-07, 11:29 AM
A rope of climbing is a nice choice that benefits everyone. Even at higher levels its useful.

Or you can share a bag of holding.

A sustaining spoon will cut down on how much provisions you need.

A hat of disguise can be passed around and used cleverly in many different ways.

An eversmoking bottle is useful.

An immovable rod is just fun.

Magdela
2010-03-07, 07:37 PM
A rope of climbing is a nice choice that benefits everyone. Even at higher levels its useful.

Or you can share a bag of holding.

A sustaining spoon will cut down on how much provisions you need.

A hat of disguise can be passed around and used cleverly in many different ways.

An eversmoking bottle is useful.

An immovable rod is just fun.
Our DM isn't big on rations, the immovable rod just sounds stupid. The eversmoking bottle got thrown around but we haven't had to run from anything yet. As I said before, we already have a hat of disguise.

I think we'll go with the Tan Bag, since it's the most combat friendly. And this is a high combat group, so we're fine if you want to suggest something that maybe gives the fighter an edge.

Nobody has suggested any level 2 items, for us, and I don't have access to the magic item compendium.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-07, 09:45 PM
I'd say that, but what's the point when I can cast true strike which is double that? I seem to already fulfill the role of that.
The Rod works for all adjacent creatures ... it's going to be a bit situational, but for instance in an ambush it would be nice for the alpha strike and if all the melee is wailing on a single enemy it would also be handy.

Tan bag would certainly be more powerful though.

Lysander
2010-03-07, 09:54 PM
Our DM isn't big on rations, the immovable rod just sounds stupid. The eversmoking bottle got thrown around but we haven't had to run from anything yet. As I said before, we already have a hat of disguise.

I think we'll go with the Tan Bag, since it's the most combat friendly. And this is a high combat group, so we're fine if you want to suggest something that maybe gives the fighter an edge.

Nobody has suggested any level 2 items, for us, and I don't have access to the magic item compendium.

Tan Bag is a good choice, but the immovable rod has many practical uses despite how silly it sounds. Anchor a ship mid-sea, tie up horses, turn it on and off to slowly lower yourself any distance without harm, block a door, use it to trip approaching cavalry, use it to block a charging opponent... it can do quite a bit.

tyckspoon
2010-03-07, 10:01 PM

There's just not that many items of that level that are really compelling. They're mostly consumables (potions/Feather Tokens/Panic Buttons/scrolls) which are really nice to have, but they're a distinctly worse option compared to the utility you could gain from having a level 10 item much earlier than you usually would. Some of the 10-charge wands are probably the best option if you want to go with the level 2 items; getting a couple of Lesser Vigor/Cure Light Wounds sticks would help with any healing problems you may be having.

Magdela
2010-03-08, 05:36 PM
Tan Bag is a good choice, but the immovable rod has many practical uses despite how silly it sounds. Anchor a ship mid-sea, tie up horses, turn it on and off to slowly lower yourself any distance without harm, block a door, use it to trip approaching cavalry, use it to block a charging opponent... it can do quite a bit.
I have never thought of any of those o.o Now the possibilities seem endless. (interesting torture device anyone? :D)

Also tyke, I got a look at the comepndium, and you've got a point there. A level 10 item would definitely be better on this early in the game then a bunch of level 2s.