PDA

View Full Version : Bosai growers, I need help

Froogleyboy
2010-03-07, 12:02 AM
Okay, I'm looking into getting a Bonsai tree (speciffacly this (http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product280.html) one) and it's supposed to be grown outside, but is there any way I can grow it in my room. The main reason I ask, is I've raised a couple of normal sized saplings in my room, and they flourished for years, why is a bonsai different?

Kneenibble
2010-03-07, 12:49 AM
That is an adorable little plant! :smallbiggrin:

I don't practice bonsai specifically, but as an obsessive keeper of houseplants, I can tell you that some plants just need the outdoors. They need long hours of both direct and indirect light unmediated by glass, they need constantly moving open air, they need to put down deep roots. I notice the plant you linked is actually a grapevine, and I can tell you that grapes put down obscenely deep taproots.

If you had a very bright southern window you might be able to keep it alive, but it would not thrive.

edit I guess it's beside the point about the grape's taproot considering the tiny little pot this thing is in, but the first two still apply.

drakir_nosslin
2010-03-07, 06:29 AM
Why buy a bonsai tree, when you can have a banzai! tree?

EDIT: Though, having a miniature tree around would be awesome for my 14 inch pianist, he loves climbing.

Fri
2010-03-07, 07:49 AM
Well yes. Some plants just need to be outdoor for some reason. I don't really know why. And normally, bonsai plants are outdoor plants, and even as bonsai, they need to be outdoor. There are some indoor bonsai, but usually they're different species than normal outdoor bonsai.

wxdruid
2010-03-07, 07:59 AM
I've had bonsai before and they're hard to keep alive. I had the ficus variety and they're pretty hardy. I've had them lose all their leaves, water them a bit and they come back. I've had the worst luck with the juniper variety, they dry out really bad and you need to mist them all the time.

Ficus (http://www.bonsaiboy.com/catalog/product686.html)

You will want to research the best light to keep them in, the best way to water them and when the tree will need a new pot and how to repot it. Some varieties require special conditions in the winter time.

Trog
2010-03-07, 10:00 AM
I've had the worst luck with the juniper variety, they dry out really bad and you need to mist them all the time.
This. I had mine at the office and it needed misting daily. The weekends finally took its toll and it eventually dried into a stick. =/

Athaniar
2010-03-07, 12:12 PM
Bonsai choose own way grow because root strong you choose own way do karate same reason.

Blaine.Bush
2010-03-07, 02:24 PM
Bonsai choose own way grow because root strong you choose own way do karate same reason.

Mister Miyagi is dead. :smallfrown:

TSGames
2010-03-07, 02:48 PM
Mister Miyagi is dead. :smallfrown:
Not for long!
http://i.ytimg.com/vi/lhEUMzZ6THw/0.jpg

Kneenibble
2010-03-07, 03:22 PM
This. I had mine at the office and it needed misting daily. The weekends finally took its toll and it eventually dried into a stick. =/

Misting a plant is a waste of time and water unless you do it every five minutes, fyi, because that's about how long the very small increase in humidity around the leaves lasts.