PDA

View Full Version : Pi Day Encounters?

Jastermereel
2010-03-07, 02:01 AM
Next Sunday is Pi Day (3/14) and my gaming group is half-expecting (and half dreading) that I'll have a Pie themed element in our next encounter. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I've already considered throwing an "themed" ooze at them, but that's sorta bland. I could have the foes use pies as improvised weapons (temporary "blindness" plus a morale penalty). I could...really...I don't know and that's why I'm here asking.

Please tell me I'm not the only one crazy enough to have this topic on their mind.

Mewtarthio
2010-03-07, 02:03 AM
I think WotC has a Calzone Golem floating around out there somewhere. Refluff it as a Hot Pie Golem and you're golden.

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-07, 02:08 AM
Just... pies?

How about stopping a group of pirates led by a piping bard from pillaging the pyramid of King Piramesses and stealing his Golden Pie, an artifact that's valuable, cursed, and delicious in equal measure?

Ravens_cry
2010-03-07, 02:09 AM
Just... pies?

How about stopping a group of pirates led by a piping bard from pillaging the pyramid of King Piramesses and stealing his Golden Pie, an artifact that's valuable, cursed, and delicious in equal measure?
Let me suggest a curse, the pie makes one irrational.
:smalltongue:

Admiral Squish
2010-03-07, 02:11 AM
Just... pies?

Following this path, I reccommend you set up an elaborate arrangement that leads into a massive strong of pi-puns. Like an interactive shaggy dog story.

DaedalusMkV
2010-03-07, 02:13 AM
Have the party fight 31.4 skeletons? A wizard with Spell Thematics whose spells all look like pies? A Pied Piper who's not happy about the crust on his face and wants to destroy the world/town/party/some guy? If low level, intoduce them to the Pi-rat menace (rats who travel in packs of 3141 and love to eat pie)? Come on, the puns are endless!

Aik
2010-03-07, 02:16 AM
A trip to the Demiplane of Pie?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-07, 02:19 AM
Don't use Pie. Use Cake, and mess with their heads as much as you possibly can.

Make them appreciate the irony.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 02:21 AM
Pirates wielding pies that do piercing damage, while aided by their bardic friends (pipers, naturally), who can summon piebald p(r)imates that throw pineapples?

Sorry, that's the best I can do at 2:30 in the AM.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-07, 02:36 AM
I think WotC has a Calzone Golem floating around out there somewhere. Refluff it as a Hot Pie Golem and you're golden flaky crust.

It is here (http://www.wizards.com/dnd/files/Cooking.pdf), for interested parties.

Also, I fixed it for you. :smallwink:

magic9mushroom
2010-03-07, 02:37 AM
I prefer the 31st of April to the 14th of March, seeing as the latter comes from a rather weird date system.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-07, 02:38 AM
I prefer the 31st of April to the 14th of March, seeing as the latter comes from a rather weird date system.

Your system is strange to us, M9M. Like the antagonist in Deliverance, it's all relative.

Vitruviansquid
2010-03-07, 02:42 AM
In America, it's month, day, year for some reason, where saner parts of the world have it day, month, year.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-07, 02:44 AM
Your system is strange to us, M9M. Like the antagonist in Deliverance, it's all relative.

Well, no it's not, because months are not shorter than days.

I can understand the Chinese year/month/day, but WTF month/day/year?

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-07, 02:47 AM

It's how people are reared. Its different everywhere.

BobVosh
2010-03-07, 02:59 AM

How can you argue that it isn't weird to US? O.o You have disgraced his horrible pun off of a weird movie! :P

However that is a great point. Since you seem to use the American date system, why not throw them a curve ball by using April 31...wait, April only has 30. Shucks.

Also I recommend a trip to the candy demiplane. It is written in the Portable Hole of Beer, I believe. Make the leader of the pie side in charge of this one shot.

Thurbane
2010-03-07, 03:02 AM
In America, it's month, day, year for some reason, where saner parts of the world have it day, month, year.
Yeah, it's DD/MM/YYYY in Australia.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-07, 03:30 AM
I intend to have my folks encounter three zombies and a zombie head.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-07, 03:46 AM

This was a triumph...

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 03:46 AM
This was a triumph...

The cake is a pie?

Koury
2010-03-07, 03:50 AM
This was a triumph...

I'm making a note here. HUGE SUCCESS

Heliomance
2010-03-07, 06:27 AM
It's hard to overstate my satisfaction at this thread.

Enguhl
2010-03-07, 06:43 AM
Next Sunday is Pi Day (3/14)

Shouldn't Pi day be 7/22?
Just sayin'...

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-07, 06:51 AM
Just sayin'...

22/7 would be more accurate.

though 3/14/16 will be the next really accurate pi day.

Winthur
2010-03-07, 06:52 AM
Just sayin'...

Well, Pi is generally rounded to 3,14 for mathematical purposes, so... 22/7 = 3 + 1/7 = also 3,14andawholebunchofnumbers.

PhoenixRivers
2010-03-07, 06:59 AM
Well, Pi is generally rounded to 3,14 for mathematical purposes, so... 22/7 = 3 + 1/7 = also 3,14andawholebunchofnumbers.

22/7 is more accurate than 3.14, but just barely.

3/14/10 is more accurate than 22/7.
3/14/16 will be the most accurate we're gonna get without a calendar reset.

The most accurate Pi day in history was
March 14, 1593.

term1nally s1ck
2010-03-07, 07:08 AM
3:14:15, 9/2/65

I plan to PARTY in 2065.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-03-07, 07:21 AM
Month tells you about important things like season. Many calendar-based factors (climate, etc) will vary based on month, making the month the most important. Year is relatively unimportant, in terms of calendar, because it changes too infrequently for an update on its status to matter. Day thus goes in the middle.

Dogmantra
2010-03-07, 07:29 AM

That... uh... That date doesn't exist. April only has 30 days.
Also 22/7 is Pi Approximation Day (http://www.qwantz.com/index.php?comic=955)

Anyway, I suggest this module (http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?otherd20_orcandpie).

Eldan
2010-03-07, 08:22 AM
I'd send them to Mechanus to battle a few living equations and antropomorphic mathematic principles.

Corey
2010-03-07, 09:39 AM
Send them in circles.

Have a golden-apples style race.

More generally, attack them with popular pie INGREDIENTS.

Cherry bombs
Something that threatens to mince them
Giant pumpkins
Four-and-twenty blackbirds

And they have to get through a door which can only be opened if you're holding the proper lime -- i.e., the Key Lime.

Volkov
2010-03-07, 09:50 AM

The cake is a lie.

Project_Mayhem
2010-03-07, 10:25 AM
Month tells you about important things like season. Many calendar-based factors (climate, etc) will vary based on month, making the month the most important. Year is relatively unimportant, in terms of calendar, because it changes too infrequently for an update on its status to matter. Day thus goes in the middle.

Ha. You're making the assumption that the climate differs very much from month to month everywhere. Try living in England. We have a whole gamut of temperatures going from mildly chilly to lukewarm.

Eldan
2010-03-07, 10:36 AM
Ah, yes. Our weather is very varied, here in Switzerland.
In summer, it rains, and we have a blue sky once every two weeks.
In autumn, it rains, and sometimes, there are storms.
In winter, it rains, and rarely, there is some kind of grey stuff that looks like snow from a distance.
In spring, it just rains.

ericgrau
2010-03-07, 10:43 AM
I think the real celebration should be at 3/14, 1:59.265...

deuxhero
2010-03-07, 11:14 AM
Sho Minamimoto

Debihuman
2010-03-07, 12:06 PM
From an old Pie domain that I made up. It's somewhere around.

Symbol of Pi: This mystical rune causes all creatures of 10 HD or less within 60 feet of the symbol of pi to calculate the mathematical formula for 3d6x10 minutes.

Debby

Dogmantra
2010-03-07, 12:42 PM
Sho Minamimoto

Oh...
my...

YOU ARE A GENIUS!
Do this, please. At least have someone call the PCs "zetta sons of digits".

Thajocoth
2010-03-07, 01:48 PM

We still use the ENGLISH system of measurement, and half the people here still think England uses it too... We're not going to change how we deal with numbers just because another format is more reasonable.

Lysander
2010-03-07, 02:07 PM
Attack them with round enemies. Beholder time!

The Glyphstone
2010-03-07, 02:17 PM

GitP forums...we do what we must because we can,
for the good of all of us except the ones who are banned...

Bibliomancer
2010-03-07, 02:22 PM
We still use the ENGLISH system of measurement, and half the people here still think England uses it too... We're not going to change how we deal with numbers just because another format is more reasonable.

Is that why you're still Imperial, even though you told us Canadians that you would be switching to metric (like the rest of the planet)?

Additionally, the U.S. remaining in Imperial has caused at least two space crashes thus far due to incorrect metric/imperial conversion.

Lastly, Trapezium (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trapezium)/Trapezoid (http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/trapezoid) have inverted definitions depending on which side of the Atlantic you are on.

lsfreak
2010-03-07, 02:37 PM
Let me suggest a curse, the pie makes one irrational.
:smalltongue:

Going off this,
Some make you turn to stone/wood (natural).
Some heal you (whole)
Some make you stand there in contemplation of why you are throwing and dodging pie (rational)
Some put you under a confusion spell (irrational).
Some make you ethereal and make you believe you don't exist (pretty sure there's a spell buried somewhere that does this) (imaginary)
Some give you prestidigitation as a spell-like ability (supernatural)

A comically evil wizard has randomly replaced the pies of a local village's annual pie-throwing contest. The wizard was a beggar and despises the waste of food, and thought it would be funny. He's currently stuffing himself silly off the stolen pie in his tower.

Nate the Snake
2010-03-07, 03:20 PM
More generally, attack them with popular pie INGREDIENTS.

Cherry bombs
Something that threatens to mince them
Giant pumpkins
Four-and-twenty blackbirds

I so want to do this now. :smallamused::smallbiggrin:

1. Caster using fire seeds.
2. Whirling blades of Shavarath, from ECS, or a caster using ring of blades.
3. Caster using animate plants.
4. Murder of crows, from ToM.

I'm thinking:
-Druid wild shaped into an apple tree (treant) or animated giant pumpkin.
-Animal companion, a murder of crows.
-Animated plant minions, apple trees and giant pumpkins.
-Fire seeds artillery.

Throw in a cleric casting ring of blades for the mincing and a calzone hot pie golem for the pie, and season to taste. :smalltongue:

Anyone with more DM experience than me feel like turning this into something usable?

Koury
2010-03-07, 03:36 PM
The cake is a pie?
This was a triumph...

For all those interested. (http://kotaku.com/5486758/portal-2-adds-multiplayer-co+op-new--familiar-characters)

Ormur
2010-03-07, 04:12 PM
Too bad there's no 3rd day in the 14th month.

Anyway a guy in one campaign I'm in says his character is an accountant and for some reason he's aiming to become an alienist refluffing the pseudonatural template into a "mathematical" template. I don't know what he's going to summon, perhaps equations or fractals (with tentacles)?

But still having the party run into a crazy mathematically themed wizard with some refluff might work.

ForzaFiori
2010-03-07, 04:23 PM
Another really weird difference between Americans and other people:
how commas and dots are used in numbers:
In America, its 2,000.00
In most other places, 2.000,00

Million and Billion are switched

Zee and Zed.

Deth Muncher
2010-03-07, 05:01 PM
For all those interested. (http://kotaku.com/5486758/portal-2-adds-multiplayer-co+op-new--familiar-characters)

O_o

I guess GLaDoS really WAS still alive.

sofawall
2010-03-07, 05:26 PM
Another really weird difference between Americans and other people:
how commas and dots are used in numbers:
In America, its 2,000.00
In most other places, 2.000,00

Million and Billion are switched

Zee and Zed.

I thought most places used spaces, with a comma as the decimal?

I know in French, Billion is the English Trillion, whereas Milliard is the English Billion.

Also, I have no idea what the standard is in Canada, but I use DD/MM/YYYY, because that makes sense.

Ormur
2010-03-07, 05:36 PM
See Decimal separator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator). The comma is more common then a point as a decimal separator and the international standard is to use spaces as a thousand separator and then either a comma or a point as a decimal separator since that shouldn't confuse anyone although the point is used a as a thousand separator in Northern Europe. I would write a million as 1.000.000,00.

Date and time notation by country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_by_country) can be seen here. Again the US is the exception with DD/MM/YYYY being by far the most common. Instead of 9/11 I'd say "the 11th of September".

The long and short scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliard) articles explains the difference. The long scale uses pretty much the same numbers except it's doubled in lenght with the ending -ard being added to multiply by a thousand.

A billion becomes milliard.
A trillion becomes billion.
A quadrillion becomes billiard.
A quintillion becomes trillion.
A sextillion becomes a trilliard.

You could probably go higher with a quadrillion and a quadrillard but you're probably better of using scientific notation for such high numbers anyway.

krossbow
2010-03-07, 05:44 PM
trap them in A mathmatically themed death trap dimension based on PI.

AKA, play CUBE: the D&D session.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-07, 05:54 PM
See Decimal separator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decimal_separator). The comma is more common then a point as a decimal separator and the international standard is to use spaces as a thousand separator and then either a comma or a point as a decimal separator since that shouldn't confuse anyone although the point is used a as a thousand separator in Northern Europe. I would write a million as 1.000.000,00.

Date and time notation by country (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Date_and_time_notation_by_country) can be seen here. Again the US is the exception with DD/MM/YYYY being by far the most common. Instead of 9/11 I'd say "the 11th of September".

The long and short scale (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milliard) articles explains the difference. The long scale uses pretty much the same numbers except it's doubled in lenght with the ending -ard being added to multiply by a thousand.

A billion becomes milliard.
A trillion becomes billion.
A quadrillion becomes billiard.
A quintillion becomes trillion.
A sextillion becomes a trilliard.

You could probably go higher with a quadrillion and a quadrillard but you're probably better of using scientific notation for such high numbers anyway.

Go go googol!
That's 1 with one hundred zeroes.

Mewtarthio
2010-03-07, 06:01 PM
I've always thought the metric system was better than the Imperial system, but the meter ~ yard guideline works well enough for anything I've needed to eyeball.

That being said, I prefer the American system for large numbers (million, billion, trillion, etc). Just divide the exponent by three and subtract one, then apply the convenient prefix. Why've you got to mess it all up with "miliards" and "billiards" and what not? :smalltongue:

Project_Mayhem
2010-03-07, 06:21 PM
Oh wow, I didn't realise people did the decimal thing differently. In Engladn, I believe the standard is 1,000,000.00

Or 1 000 000.00

But I prefer the commas

Ormur
2010-03-07, 06:23 PM
I've always thought the metric system was better than the Imperial system, but the meter ~ yard guideline works well enough for anything I've needed to eyeball.

That being said, I prefer the American system for large numbers (million, billion, trillion, etc). Just divide the exponent by three and subtract one, then apply the convenient prefix. Why've you got to mess it all up with "miliards" and "billiards" and what not? :smalltongue:

I've never used anything higher than a billion in the long scale, equal to a trillion short scale so it's not much of a bother. The rational behind the system is that instead of a billion being 1.000*(1.0002) it would simply be 1.000.0002. Trillion being a million to the power of three, etc.

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-03-07, 07:58 PM
Sho Minamimoto

Zetta cool! :smallbiggrin:

BenTheJester
2010-03-07, 09:09 PM
3:14:15, 9/2/65

I plan to PARTY in 2065.

Why not party in 2015 instead

at 3/14/15 9:26:54

Incorrect
2010-03-08, 03:54 AM
I cant believe that no one thought of using this as an excuse to run the orc and the pie, the worlds shortest adventure. Its from montecook.
It has everything you will ever need! Its got an orc. And even a pie!

Here, I googled it for your convenience
http://www.montecook.com/cgi-bin/page.cgi?otherd20_orcandpie

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-08, 07:54 AM

But there's no sense crying over every locked thread

Jack_Simth
2010-03-08, 08:10 AM

Any given arrangement has relative strengths and weaknesses.

Year/Month/Day, for instance, goes great in filenames - because sorting by name then sorts by date with no additional effort.

Month/Day/Year works great if you're planning things several months in advance - the first number then being the basic range, and you know roughly how far in advance it is before you even get to the day.

Day/Month/Year works great when you only plan a few days in advance, for the same reason that Month/Day/Year works great if you're planning things several months in advance.

Shardan
2010-03-08, 08:23 AM
Another alternative. I forget the name of the beings, but there are creatures from the Plane of Law that are based on geometric shapes. Given this, you can have a literal 'pi' themed adventure.

huttj509
2010-03-08, 09:03 AM
Given the release date, ignore the pie, just hit em with a bunch of pokemon.

And have them led by an evil pie-type!