PDA

View Full Version : What god would he follow?

Geiger Counter
2010-03-07, 04:56 AM
If Frollo was a D&D character, which god would he follow?
http://www.hhholmesthefilm.com/images/frollo.jpg

AslanCross
2010-03-07, 05:34 AM
If he were in Eberron, DEFINITELY the Silver Flame. While the Silver Flame is a lawful good deity, it's also the deity of purification and is known for having bloody inquisitions and purges. While the actual leader of the faith is LG, the actual political leader of the church (High Cardinal Krozen) is LE. (In Eberron it's ok for clerics not to have the same alignment as the deity.)

In core D&D 3.5, St. Cuthbert. Frollo was the Minister of Justice, after all. He'd be LE or a very self-interested LN, and St. Cuthbert is ok with LE clerics---he'd definitely be ok with LE worshippers.

Also, Frollo is perhaps my favorite Disney villain ever, and The Hunchback of Notre Dame is my favorite Disney movie ever.

Malificus
2010-03-07, 05:43 AM
I think Frollo would worship Pelor.

In core D&D 3.5, St. Cuthbert. Frollo was the Minister of Justice, after all. He'd be LE or a very self-interested LN, and St. Cuthbert is ok with LE clerics---he'd definitely be ok with LE worshippers.

but, St. Cuthbert specifically can't have LE clerics.

AslanCross
2010-03-07, 05:48 AM

Oops. Didn't notice that. Regardless, he could still be LN and be a pretty horrific villain.

Eladrinblade
2010-03-07, 07:11 AM
St. Cuthbert doesn't really care for the nobility, or schemers for that matter. For core, I would say wee jas maybe, possibly hextor.

For Faerun, Siamorphe or maybe that other LE god of power brokers (can't think of his name).

Amiel
2010-03-07, 07:20 AM
Gargauth; the Tenth Lord of the Pit

Gargauth, also known as the "Tenth Lord of Nine," the "Lost Lord of the Pit," and the "Hidden Lord," is the deity of betrayal, cruelty, political corruption, and powerbrokers. He embodies the inevitable decay and corruption that accompanies all self-serving, greedy, and power-hungry leaders and groups. He shows a veneer of civility and compassion whenever encountered, and he relishes in twisting a contract with someone to serve his own ends by holding only to the letter of the agreement. Gargauth is a master strategist, and his sense of humor moderates his temper. He uses his followers, who constantly seek to increase their personal power, to act as his eyes and ears throughout Faerun. He also has them entice and corrupt powerful individuals and bind them into strict contracts.

bosssmiley
2010-03-07, 08:45 AM
Wee Jas - she is likewise one conflicted 'control freak with raging passions' character.

Or possibly Loagzed (coz everybody LOEV Loagzed). :smallbiggrin:

Longcat
2010-03-07, 08:50 AM
Asmodeus
Hextor/Bane
Any good-aligned deity like Pelor, but with "Veil of Cyric". (Essentially, the character does not know that he is in fact worshipping an evil deity, but their powers actually come from them)

Starbuck_II
2010-03-07, 08:59 AM

Wait, Good Pelor (NG), or Real Pelor (NE)?

Longcat
2010-03-07, 09:03 AM
The Burning Hate, I guess

Kish
2010-03-07, 09:03 AM
In Greyhawk, in all probability, Frollo would try to become a worshiper of Heironeous (probably even a paladin!), be rejected because of his Lawful Evil alignment, and the plot of the Hunchback of Notre Dame would be derailed from that point. One of the advantages of tangible deities. He would never have political power from religion in an area dominated by a good-aligned faith, and the movie* doesn't work in an area where the dominant faith is Hextor--Frollo would kill Quasimodo and his mother without a murmur of opposition, with the old cleric stopping to tell him what a good upholder of the faith he was.

*Movie, not book, 'cause that's what the picture in the first post is from, and I'm not qualified to speak if we're discussing the book character.

Malificus
2010-03-07, 12:50 PM

good Pelor

Frollo thinks he is good. He has moral dilemmas when he sees that he is being tempted by Esmeralda. I do not think he would worship an evil god.

Heck, quantifiable proof that what he's doing was evil (like is available in D&D) may have made Frollo atone, and go back (or start being if he never was) good.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-07, 01:22 PM
In Eberron, he could worship any good (preferably LG) deity, since cleric alignments aren't tied to followers. Since he isn't necessarily a cleric, he would simply need a (sub-conscious way) of covering up his evil tendencies to pull this off in any other campaign setting.

Perhaps he's an aristocrat with a prestige class. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0595.html) Heironeous would certainly fit, if he could disguise his alignment.

Sydonai
2010-03-24, 04:33 PM
Zarus, the Human Paragon, Greater god, Lawful Evil. The guy is in Races of Destiny and is the only racial deity I can find for humans.

Volkov
2010-03-24, 04:39 PM
Raptor Jesus. It had to be said.

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-24, 04:45 PM
Sol Invictus!

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-24, 04:46 PM
good Pelor

Frollo thinks he is good. He has moral dilemmas when he sees that he is being tempted by Esmeralda. I do not think he would worship an evil god.

Heck, quantifiable proof that what he's doing was evil (like is available in D&D) may have made Frollo atone, and go back (or start being if he never was) good.

Lots of Evils think they're Good (Redcloak being a good eg), but if you're putting people in D&D scenarios they have to play by D&D rules, and Evil people in D&D have to worship an Evil/Neutral deity.

Gametime
2010-03-24, 04:51 PM
Frollo's god needs a fire motif to make Hellfire all the more awesome. I think drawing upon the Burning Hate while imagining himself to be servicing the sunny goodness of Nice Pelor is the best fit we're going to find.

Gametime
2010-03-24, 04:53 PM
Lots of Evils think they're Good (Redcloak being a good eg), but if you're putting people in D&D scenarios they have to play by D&D rules, and Evil people in D&D have to worship an Evil/Neutral deity.

Only if they want spells from them. There's nothing from preventing someone who worships a good deity doing evil things; heck, that's what causes divine spellcasters to lose their powers at all.

If Frollo is going to be a spellcaster, then he's best off worshipping an evil god who pretends to be good. A particularly cunning incarnation of Asmodeus or Mephistopheles might do the trick. The Burning Hate would be even better.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-24, 05:02 PM
The frog god? I mean, you believe in the superiority of frogs and humans. What is not to like?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-24, 05:06 PM
Zarus, the Human Paragon, Greater god, Lawful Evil. The guy is in Races of Destiny and is the only racial deity I can find for humans.

There's an actual Human God? :smalleek:

**** you Pelor, Humans have got a proper patron now :smallbiggrin:

Emmerask
2010-03-24, 05:13 PM

Pelor being evil is a theory nothing more :smallwink:
While there is some evidence of him being in fact evil it could be just bad editing / quality control (like the caster casting a 6th level spells with 15 prim stat)
And there is also powerful evidence that he is not evil.

So stating a theory that is arguable as fact (without giving proof) makes you just plain wrong :smalltongue:

Keld Denar
2010-03-24, 05:14 PM
I think he would make a good cleric of Pholtus, the other Greyhawk god of the sun. Pholtus is LAWFUL then good. His clerics are often inquisitor types, exacting confessions from evil types through often rather unpleasent means.

Seems to fit to me.