PDA

View Full Version : You are Survivor

Pages : 1 [2]

Volkov
2010-03-10, 07:13 PM
Ok.

1) You still haven't answered how you're going to find those Myconoids.
2) You still haven't answered how you're going to get to them once (if) you find them.
3) How do you know what these "zombies" like to eat?
4) How do you know the disease can't stick to you? It's magical in nature, who is to say what limits that magic has? Remember, the OP allowed you to have an animal companion, but there was a warning that said companion would inevitably become infected. The disease is still spreading.

Now that I think about it, that poses another problem. Are your undead going to be immune to this disease? If they are, that implies that there are lots of other undead out there who also survived, and many of them would be considerably more powerful than you. You'll have to fight your way through them before you can achieve your plans.

And if your undead aren't immune to the disease? That's even worse, because now you have an army which could turn on you at any moment.

A disease with nothing to eat starves and dies. And how else am I going to get to them besides lots of digging and liberal usage of detect life.

Also, an magical undead skeleton or non-magical robot can't immediately grow flesh and organs and become a abberation. And I can just cast remove disease and get rid of it any way. And because they are born of this disease, using remove disease on them would either one-shot them, cure them, or turn them into plain old D&D zombies. Which are pitifully easy to kill.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 07:19 PM
A disease with nothing to eat starves and dies. And how else am I going to get to them besides lots of digging and liberal usage of detect life.

From Naberius' skill, Knowledge:Myconoid habitat location.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 07:23 PM
After researching mass remove disease, I'll go to a large concentration of the zombies and test it out on them, if they are cured, I'll send the newly cured people to the soul farms for soul extraction. If they just drop dead, then I use it as a destructive weapon against them until they fear me more than they fear the sun. If they just turn into normal zombies, I rebuke them and turn them against their former fellows.

druid91
2010-03-10, 07:24 PM
After researching mass remove disease, I'll go to a large concentration of the zombies and test it out on them, if they are cured, I'll send the newly cured people to the soul farms for soul extraction. If they just drop dead, then I use it as a destructive weapon against them until they fear me more than they fear the sun. If they just turn into normal zombies, I rebuke them and turn them against their former fellows.

aren't you a cleric? don't they get their spells for free?

Volkov
2010-03-10, 07:27 PM
aren't you a cleric? don't they get their spells for free?

I don't know if there is a spell named Mass Remove disease. I didn't see it in the player's handbook at least...

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 07:29 PM

Also, an magical undead skeleton or non-magical robot can't immediately grow flesh and organs and become a abberation. And I can just cast remove disease and get rid of it any way. And because they are born of this disease, using remove disease on them would either one-shot them, cure them, or turn them into plain old D&D zombies. Which are pitifully easy to kill.

OP says in the first post, the Disease is supernatural. IE; Rules governing natural; disease don't necessarily apply. Also, the process that turns things into the ghoulish abominations is seperate to the disease and it's symptoms. Might even be unrelated.

(The disease pops people like spots. Blood everywhere.)

The OP does also mention that the only thing that harms them is natural sunlight, so, really, spending your level 11 cleric (newly lichified) days desperately searching the area around your safehouse for hidden, miraculously surviving and non abomnified societies of myconids with only the daylight hours to spare, (as you have no way of combating the level 18/19 creatures, (Ecl 15, monsters of CL + 4/5) does not sound like the early days of a budding God of the Dead. :smallsmile:

greenknight
2010-03-10, 07:32 PM

Lots of digging. Well, most of the lives you detect are going to be zombies who will try to destroy you, but you might actually get some XP that way by exposing them to sunlight. That's one way to do it, I guess, although you are going to be spending a lot of time on it.

Also, an magical undead skeleton or non-magical robot can't immediately grow flesh and organs and become a abberation.

Why not? You've seen how magic (True Res, for example) can assemble a whole person from nothing at all. This is clearly a magical disease, so who knows what limits it might have.

And I can just cast remove disease and get rid of it any way. And because they are born of this disease, using remove disease on them would either one-shot them, cure them, or turn them into plain old D&D zombies. Which are pitifully easy to kill.

Magical disease, remember. While you might be able to achieve that, you now have to wonder why others didn't do the same thing when the disease first appeared. And you have to wonder about the line in the original post about your animal companion, which is significant because only Druids and Rangers have animal companions, and both of those classes have access to the Cure Disease spell. Finally, we have this line from the spell description:

"Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

Given all the evidence, I think this would be one of the things Cure Disease can't counter.

druid91
2010-03-10, 07:32 PM
Nope the ghoulish abominations are the unfortunate minority of the diseased. and just because its supernatural doesn't make it an less vulnerable to remove disease. while I don't share the belief that cure disease will kill the super zombies It would probably do a good job of cleaning things off before they get completely infected.

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 07:36 PM
Nope the ghoulish abominations are the unfortunate minority of the diseased. and just because its supernatural doesn't make it an less vulnerable to remove disease.

No, however;

Finally, we have this line from the spell description:

"Certain special diseases may not be countered by this spell or may be countered only by a caster of a certain level or higher.

There is a clause in the Spell itself, apparently, so the point is moot.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 07:38 PM
Lots of digging. Well, most of the lives you detect are going to be zombies who will try to destroy you, but you might actually get some XP that way by exposing them to sunlight. That's one way to do it, I guess, although you are going to be spending a lot of time on it.

Why not? You've seen how magic (True Res, for example) can assemble a whole person from nothing at all. This is clearly a magical disease, so who knows what limits it might have.

Magical disease, remember. While you might be able to achieve that, you now have to wonder why others didn't do the same thing when the disease first appeared. And you have to wonder about the line in the original post about your animal companion, which is significant because only Druids and Rangers have animal companions, and both of those classes have access to the Cure Disease spell. Finally, we have this line from the spell description:

Given all the evidence, I think this would be one of the things Cure Disease can't counter.

Break Enchantment should work then. Or failing that just use mass heal when I get the levels. Mass heal pwns all diseases. And if it's too magical to be affected by remove disease, Break enchantment (or whatever you use to deal with mummy rot) can defeat it. Heck, I could release mummy rot into them, and laugh as they all turn into dust.

druid91
2010-03-10, 07:41 PM
ah, well I'm not bothered by it, it seems to only affect the standard races because the monsters, trolls, dragons and the like were all underrepresented. so Volkov's plans are hindered and mine aren't, making me happy. though now I have to hope he gets through with his plan so I have someone to fight.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 07:42 PM
Break Enchantment should work then. Or failing that just use mass heal when I get the levels. Mass heal pwns all diseases. And if it's too magical to be affected by remove disease, Break enchantment (or whatever you use to deal with mummy rot) can defeat it. Heck, I could release mummy rot into them, and laugh as they all turn into dust.

There is also the funnier method of constructing Construct satellites in space with large mirrors to reflect concentrated sunlight to any where in the material plane.

druid91
2010-03-10, 07:44 PM
but is that direct sunlight?

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 07:49 PM
but is that direct sunlight?

Is is as direct as the diluted photon particle-waves that is passing large quanities of H20, 03, and other particles in the atmosphere.

druid91
2010-03-10, 07:51 PM
eh, good enough for me.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 07:53 PM
I fear that the instant we clear the zombies, the horrors of the seas and the underdark will claw and tear their way out to claim the world. For yet another apocalyptic struggle.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 07:55 PM
I fear that the instant we clear the zombies, the horrors of the seas and the underdark will claw and tear their way out to claim the world. For yet another apocalyptic struggle.

Back to the Grinning Hound's knowledge, Knowledge: Sushi preparation.

druid91
2010-03-10, 07:56 PM
what horrors? I thought they were eaten?

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 07:56 PM

I'm guessing that a magical super-plague created by some now-dead god of uber diseases is a spell greater than 5th level (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/breakenchantment.htm).

Also, having read the info on Heal / mass heal, all it'd do that I can see is make them nice healthy Abominations (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/heal.htm). Maybe they'd be grateful?

Mummy Rot could possibly work, assuming you can actually inflict it upon them. However, that assumes they aren't blanket immune to it like they are to other things, like damage and things that aren't the sun's direct rays.
I'm not sure it's a safe bet, but it's the only one of the three that even works on paper. :smallsmile:

greenknight
2010-03-10, 07:58 PM
Break Enchantment should work then.

The problem with Break Enchantment is:

"If the spell is one that cannot be dispelled by dispel magic, break enchantment works only if that spell is 5th level or lower."

I'm highly doubtful that dispel magic would work here, so Break Enchantment isn't likely to work either.

Or failing that just use mass heal when I get the levels. Mass heal pwns all diseases.

This has some potential. I'm not 100% sure it would work, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. These creatures are meant to be tough to destroy, but not invulnerable so as I said previously, there needs to be some methods to destroy them. This also means a regular Heal should also do the job.

And more good news for you is that even at 11th level, you should be able to cast 1 or 2 6th level spells, so Heal is available to you right from the start. So now you can wipe out one or two of these zombies each day, although if you're attacked by a group of them you're still history, and you do have to get in melee range of them to pull this off at that level.

Heck, I could release mummy rot into them, and laugh as they all turn into dust.

That would probably work, since they aren't true undead. Now all you have to do is get the mummy rot in the first place. And work out whether your legions of undead are going to succumb to the disease (remember, if they don't, there's lots of other undead around not subject to you who also survived).

(EDIT: Bah. Ninja'd on all points...)

Volkov
2010-03-10, 07:59 PM
what horrors? I thought they were eaten?

Abberations must breathe, thus they aren't getting under the water. And I speak of creatures that make the aboleths and sahuagins crap themselves in abject terror. The monsters that dwell in the deepest abysses of the ocean and of the underdark. That would laugh at this zombie plague. By the way, in D&D vampire squids *the real life ones* were created by illithids with the implication that all cephalopods came with the illithids.

I am of course speaking of such monstrosities as those giant chaos oozes from the MM2.

My final trump card is to have a celine dion album playing and a illusory image of rosie o'donnel, not even pseudo-zombies could bear such an assault on their senses. I will be safe inside my hidey hole with silence cast on me at all times.

druid91
2010-03-10, 08:01 PM
not necessarily they would have survived the disease but the sz's would still kill any but the clerics.

My final trump card is to have a celine dion album playing and a illusory image of rosie o'donnel, not even pseudo-zombies could bear such an assault on their senses. I will be safe inside my hidey hole with silence cast on me at all times.

Gah!! the fourth wall!

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:03 PM
not necessarily they would have survived the disease but the sz's would still kill any but the clerics.
In a fight with a giant chaos ooze so horrifyingly powerful and unpredictable that entire aboleth cities of thousands of CR 7+ psionic monstrosities and their armies of skum and slaves decide to evacuate rather than risk fighting, I'd side with the ooze.

druid91
2010-03-10, 08:04 PM
not what I was talking about, I was talking about undead. as far as chaos oozes go its an ooze we'll contain it and use it instead of flamethrowers.

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 08:05 PM
This has some potential. I'm not 100% sure it would work, but I'll give it the benefit of the doubt. These creatures are meant to be tough to destroy, but not invulnerable so as I said previously, there needs to be some methods to destroy them. This also means a regular Heal should also do the job.

And more good news for you is that even at 11th level, you should be able to cast 1 or 2 6th level spells, so Heal is available to you right from the start. So now you can wipe out one or two of these zombies each day, although if you're attacked by a group of them you're still history, and you do have to get in melee range of them to pull this off at that level.

Can't see anything in the SRD that would suggest that Heal would affect the SuperZombies. The closest is that it removes the 'Diseased' Condition, but given that they have been transformed, I'd say it's most likely that their current state is what happens if you survive the disease but weren't immune. It's resolved, the transformation was instantaneous, that's assuming that the transformation is even linked to the Disease, which the OP Doesn't even confirm.

Though the Celine Dion technique sounds like it has potential, it could backfire by enraging the beasts. :smallbiggrin:

greenknight
2010-03-10, 08:05 PM
Abberations must breathe, thus they aren't getting under the water.

What about the ones who can breathe underwater? Such as kuo-toa, mermen etc? And animals aren't immune to the disease, so there's all those other sea creatures as well...

And I speak of creatures that make the aboleths and sahuagins crap themselves in abject terror. The monsters that dwell in the deepest abysses of the ocean and of the underdark. That would laugh at this zombie plague.

Or they will have caught the disease themselves to become even more terrifying.

Now I know you're pure Evil if you're willing to resort to that! Yes, you can stay safe in your quarters for eternity, although you aren't gaining any levels that way.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:06 PM
Can't see anything in the SRD that would suggest that Heal would affect the SuperZombies. The closest is that it removes the 'Diseased' Condition, but given that they have been transformed, I'd say it's most likely that their current state is what happens if you survive the disease but weren't immune. It's resolved, the transformation was instantaneous, that's assuming that the transformation is even linked to the Disease, which the OP Doesn't even confirm.

Though the Celine Dion technique sounds like it has potential, it could backfire by enraging the beasts. :smallbiggrin:
When cast on a spawn of kyuss, it will instantly turn into a normal zombie as it instantly removes the disease that made it a spawn. Of course, it'd only have 10 hp left.

And as a back-up, I'll have a choir of zombies read "My Immortal" the fan fiction aloud, along with every piece of so bad it's horrible fan fiction that crawled it's way out of the internet and every crappy novel that clawed it's way through the publishing press. If they survived the music and the hideous picture of a hideous woman, the bad fan-fiction will kill them.

druid91
2010-03-10, 08:07 PM
I wonder if this would make a good campaign setting? plenty of bad guys to take down.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-10, 08:13 PM
I wonder if this would make a good campaign setting? plenty of bad guys to take down.

I prefer to be an antagonist instead of a protagonist. I am a warlock from hell after all.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 08:13 PM
And as a back-up, I'll have a choir of zombies read "My Immortal" the fan fiction aloud, along with every piece of so bad it's horrible fan fiction that crawled it's way out of the internet and every novel that clawed it's way through the publishing press. If they survived the music and the hideous picture of a hideous woman, the bad fan-fiction will kill them.

If you do that I might have to reconsider our alliance, only an abomination would resort to that.

I propose, the perpetual motion device made earlier, place it in a non-dimensional/ extra dimensional space. Eventually the amount of energy in that space will exceed that space in the space, causing a mini-big bang.

greenknight
2010-03-10, 08:15 PM

You're probably right on that one, although I'm thinking that the zombies need additional weaknesses so this might qualify. As it is, I'm not really sure that you can even put a CR on them, and if you can it would have to be incredibly high given their near invulnerability.

The other thing to consider is that the creatures were originally described as zombies, but they aren't really zombies at all. So maybe this isn't a true disease, but a magical curse. Heal does nothing to a Curse, and even Remove Curse has it's limits which this probably surpasses. More to the point, it doesn't matter whether a creature is immune to a disease or not, because this is in reality a Divine Curse. I don't think there's much immune to that, although apparently something about the survivors does make them immune.

And as a back-up, I'll have a choir of zombies read "My Immortal" the fan fiction aloud, along with every piece of so bad it's horrible fan fiction that crawled it's way out of the internet and every novel that clawed it's way through the publishing press. If they survived the music and the hideous picture of a hideous woman, the bad fan-fiction will kill them.

If you're willing to go that far, just have them sit around and play FATAL. That will cause anything and everything to flee (even the dice eventually become cursed and never roll well again).

Volkov
If you do that I might have to reconsider our alliance, only an abomination would resort to that.

I propose, the perpetual motion device made earlier, place it in a non-dimensional/ extra dimensional space. Eventually the amount of energy in that space will exceed that space in the space, causing a mini-big bang.

That's only if I get really desperate. Really, I'd just send in a few ghouls to infect them with ghoul fever and turn them into much easier to kill beasties.

Slayn82
Oh, i see we are going to end all of this so much enlightened. Its obvious that our problems are part of some invasion from the outer planes. In face of that, i would prefer our usual brand of evil.

With means we must research spendable minions that can store and explode sunlight.

Alternativelly, would not Sun Blades be on high demand?

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:18 PM
We should somehow force nuclear fusion in all of the gas giants to make them stars, to make it perpetually day. Of course, it won't be enough to heat the world to death as the gas giants would be too far away, but it would be enough to bathe the entire world in sunlight the majority of the time.

greenknight
2010-03-10, 08:23 PM
Alternativelly, would not Sun Blades be on high demand?

Indeed, that might work. Of course, they would all have been destroyed in the initial outbreak, so you'd have to be able to make one. Which means you'd need to be a Good aligned spellcaster. Or just an Artificer of any alignment. :smallbiggrin:

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:24 PM
Indeed, that might work. Of course, they would all have been destroyed in the initial outbreak, so you'd have to be able to make one. Which means you'd need to be a Good aligned spellcaster. Or just an Artificer of any alignment. :smallbiggrin:

We have one on my side.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 08:26 PM
We should somehow force nuclear fusion in all of the gas giants to make them stars, to make it perpetually day. Of course, it won't be enough to heat the world to death as the gas giants would be too far away, but it would be enough to bathe the entire world in sunlight the majority of the time.
You just need to get enough hydrogen to have its own gravitational force then a spark to ignite it. An arbitrarily high caster leveled create water would do it if you get the spark in it.

greenknight
2010-03-10, 08:27 PM
We have one on my side.

Given all your problems, I'm not sure if that's really "your side". You are after all the least effective member of that side, aside from any minions you and the other members create.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:30 PM
Given all your problems, I'm not sure if that's really "your side". You are after all the least effective member of that side, aside from any minions you and the other members create.

I am the wisest, and am in possession of the largest resource pool. I can also quite rapidly form an army of robots with my two artificers working on them and skeletons mining coal and iron to make them. With an undead workforce I can spew out vast hordes of robots, who would then round up as many people as they can and sacrifice them for souls. And I would lead my mechanical horde to gain the XP for surrounding the zombies and holding them in one place until the sun comes up. I will also demolish various caves and other dark places in a way that would expose them to the sun.

Slayn82
2010-03-10, 08:32 PM
Well, i guess that i can say that at least Volkov compensates any flaws with plenty of enthusiasm. If he wasnt an ambulant pile of bones, i would call his style hot blooded.

And that would make an interesting broken world, heh?

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:34 PM
Volkov Industries: Horrendously evil acts that would make A Demonic Fire-breathing Hitler cry in a corner served with a smile! :smallbiggrin:

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 08:34 PM
I am the wisest, and am in possession of the largest resource pool. I can also quite rapidly form an army of robots with my two artificers working on them and skeletons mining coal and iron to make them. With an undead workforce I can spew out vast hordes of robots, who would then round up as many people as they can and sacrifice them for souls. And I would lead my mechanical horde to gain the XP for surrounding the zombies and holding them in one place until the sun comes up. I will also demolish various caves and other dark places in a way that would expose them to the sun.

This is the problem, and why you are infact looking like the weak link.

'You' aren't capable of doing a faction of that, you simply have people to do it for you. Assuming the OP is nice enough to allow leadership, when even animal companions come with the proviso of 'they'll die soon anyway'.

Whereas most of the other factions are lead by people who derive their strength from themselves and their build.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:36 PM
This is the problem, and why you are infact looking like the weak link.

'You' aren't capable of doing a faction of that, you simply have people to do it for you. Assuming the OP is nice enough to allow leadership, when even animal companions come with the proviso of 'they'll die soon anyway'.

Whereas most of the other factions are lead by people who derive their strength from themselves and their build.

I have two artificers under my command to build whatever I need. Plus, an awakened skeleton cleric just doesn't have the same ring. Though I could switch to one at a moment's notice. Or I could just take a human and stuff him in the same armor that the overlord from Overlord 1 wore.

Slayn82
2010-03-10, 08:38 PM
So, are you suggesting that Volkov and his minions look like dead weights wights?

(yes, you ran straight on that one)

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:40 PM
So, are you suggesting that Volkov and his minions look like dead weights wights?

(yes, you ran straight on that one)

"I was once called the white night.....Although now I guess I'm the wight knight." Some undead guy.
"Alright, now we wanna hurt youse" A mimic adventurer.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 08:41 PM
Just checked the wording of the Create water, it is Up to 2 gallons of water/level. Gallons is a unit of space, and not mass, so a near infinitely dense space of water could be created. Since water contain hydrogen the simplest of elements, it could be the foundation of an entire new material plane, set up a craft Contingency spell to get out of the once the spell is cast since, that mass of water is going to expand to flood the entire material plane near instantly.

greenknight
2010-03-10, 08:43 PM
I am the wisest, and am in possession of the largest resource pool.

You're probably the wisest, but almost certainly not the smartest. You aren't the most skilled either.

I can also quite rapidly form an army of robots with my two artificers working on them and skeletons mining coal and iron to make them.

You are allowed an animal companion, but any Cohorts you had died in the initial outbreak. So aside from allies who might work with you (but not necessarily serve you), you only have your own resources at the start of all this.

With an undead workforce

Who may or may not turn into super zombies at any moment...

I can spew out vast hordes of robots

You? The Craft Construct feat requires two other feats (Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor). You might have both of them, but it's going to leave you feat short for other things. An Artificer gets both of the pre-reqs for free, and bonus feats which can be spent on that. So your Artificer allies almost certainly don't need you for that - they can probably do it better and faster than you can.

I will also demolish various caves and other dark places in a way that would expose them to the sun.

I suppose they could use you to dig the latrines. That is somewhat useful.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:45 PM
You're probably the wisest, but almost certainly not the smartest. You aren't the most skilled either.

You are allowed an animal companion, but any Cohorts you had died in the initial outbreak. So aside from allies who might work with you (but not necessarily serve you), you only have your own resources at the start of all this.

Who may or may not turn into super zombies at any moment...

You? The Craft Construct feat requires two other feats (Craft Wondrous Item, Craft Magic Arms and Armor). You might have both of them, but it's going to leave you feat short for other things. An Artificer gets both of the pre-reqs for free, and bonus feats which can be spent on that. So your Artificer allies almost certainly don't need you for that - they can probably do it better and faster than you can.

I suppose they could use you to dig the latrines. That is somewhat useful.

Would you stop rules lawyering like an @$$hole. A Cohort is a part of your character, so I'd rule that it'd fall under the same clause as an animal companion, mount, or familiar.

And skeletons cannot grow flesh, organs, skin, fat, and what-not to become abberations. Once templated into undeath, it's very hard impossible to template out.

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 08:52 PM
Would you stop rules lawyering like an @$$hole. A Cohort is a part of your character, so I'd rule that it'd fall under the same clause as an animal companion, mount, or familiar.

Easy there, skeletor.
Also, if it counts the same as an animal companion, that's a bad precedent given that;

There may be an animal companion accompanying you, but inevitably it will become infected and you may need to put it down. Are you able to do this? Or will you simply abandon it? Or something other?

Volkov
2010-03-10, 08:54 PM
Easy there, skeletor.
Also, if it counts the same as an animal companion, that's a bad precedent given that;

Try to give a fossil the flu...Just try it.

Slayn82
2010-03-10, 08:54 PM
You know, the main thing is that Volkov is basically your average fanatical villain, but put into an scenario were his tactics and actions are a lot less morally objectionable.

He and his minions are an undead doomsday cult. Then, civilization falls, and look, things are so messed, that they turn the dead into free willed undead, and suddenly the society has a chance to be reborn. From the grave. If he can influence his undead to give the living their space, then he would probably enter to the history as an OK guy.

Now, if we could discretly reduce the need for unwilling sacrifices, that would be great.

Edit:

There may be an animal companion accompanying you, but inevitably it will become infected and you may need to put it down. Are you able to do this? Or will you simply abandon it? Or something other?

Also, i guess his lack of reticences about turning his companions into undeath would definitly count as "something else".

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 08:58 PM

My Amenite is convinced it has chicken pox.
Does that count?

chiasaur11
2010-03-10, 08:59 PM
My Amenite is convinced it has chicken pox.
Does that count?

Yes.

Whelp, I guess punching the world so hard it explodes is the best option.

Again.

greenknight
2010-03-10, 09:02 PM
Would you stop rules lawyering like an @$$hole.

Just reminding you of the scenario the OP provided.

A Cohort is a part of your character, so I'd rule that it'd fall under the same clause as an animal companion, mount, or familiar.

Of which, only the Animal Companion was specifically allowed. And there's a clear warning that even that will end badly.

And skeletons cannot grow flesh, organs, skin, fat, and what-not to become abberations. Once templated into undeath, it's very hard impossible to template out.

Resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/resurrection.htm) disagrees with you. There's no specific exception there for skeletons or any other kind of undead.

Which brings us to one of two choices:

* It's not really a disease, it's a curse. Immunity to disease doesn't matter and undead are just as vulnerable as anyone else.
* Undead are immune, but that means there's lots of them out there, and plenty who are more powerful than you. What makes you important?

Volkov
2010-03-10, 09:03 PM
And if all else fails, I will summon...the fifty foot tall pikeman that can OHKO battleships from civilization II. And he shall be....an skeleton.

If I were to change to a awakened skeleton cleric would I be better off? I'd have 14-15 levels.

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 09:27 PM
And if all else fails, I will summon...the fifty foot tall pikeman that can OHKO battleships from civilization II. And he shall be....an skeleton.

If I were to change to a awakened skeleton cleric would I be better off? I'd have 14-15 levels.

The only thing along these lines that I can see is a homebrew on this very forum, so I'm not really sure what you mean, to be honest. Reguardless, having more caster levels is a good thing.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-10, 09:29 PM
Also, Volkov would it be too much to ask if all membersPC members of our group have equal power in the alliance. Besides control over our individual armies of course. But we should probably vote on certain things instead you making all of the executive decisions.

Also i will personally take care of most of our enemies if you could lend me part of your army temporarily for that situation.

You should be a lich because then as a cleric you can rez us and you would have a backup life just in case you died.

Volkov
2010-03-10, 09:32 PM
The only thing along these lines that I can see is a homebrew on this very forum, so I'm not really sure what you mean, to be honest. Reguardless, having more caster levels is a good thing.

Play civilization, any of them older than IV, and have a tank attack a spearman in lots of fortifications.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-10, 09:40 PM
Since there is another artificer and warlock in the alliance already, I'll just go full Binder.

Tiki Snakes
2010-03-10, 09:57 PM
Play civilization, any of them older than IV, and have a tank attack a spearman in lots of fortifications.

I meant about the whole awakened Skeleton thing. Can't find anything relating to the idea on the SRD, just a homebrew class on the Forum itself.
I recognised the reference to RTS unit size weirdness and so on easily enough, though. :) Good old building sized footsoldiers.

druid91
2010-03-10, 10:03 PM
Uh, you can't resurrect active undead. Also you can awaken mindless undead with a spell, its in the Spell compendium IIRC.

Constructs, elementals, outsiders, and undead creatures can’t be resurrected.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-10, 10:06 PM
That is why only he is undead and a lich so he won't need to be rezzed. We are all living so he can rez us with his cleric spells.

druid91
2010-03-10, 10:10 PM
That is why only he is undead and a lich so he won't need to be rezzed. We are all living so he can rez us with his cleric spells.

Not what I was saying. The point is that active undead can't grow their flesh back. They need to be destroyed first and if they are destroyed they are no problem.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-10, 10:34 PM
Sorry I misunderstood what you said earlier. I see the point you are trying to make now.

greenknight
2010-03-10, 10:40 PM
Not what I was saying. The point is that active undead can't grow their flesh back. They need to be destroyed first and if they are destroyed they are no problem.

That's correct, but it was missing what I was getting at as well. Which is that someone can die, become an undead (including skeleton/lich), that undead can be destroyed and then the person can be brought back to life with flesh restored. Yes, the Resurrection spell can't do that to active undead, but we aren't actually talking about the Resurrection spell here. This is something different and much more powerful - "Powered by the sacrificed lives of a thousand epic mages". From that description, it seems like we are facing a super Epic spell here, and Epic spellcasting can do almost anything. Instantly turning skeletons into flesh and blood aberrations doesn't seem so unlikely in the face of that.

As for the issue of the awakened skeleton vs Lich, I think the skeleton might be the better option if it doesn't come with such a high LA. Caster levels are that important. As for resurrection, there's an Artificer in the group, and a 15th level Artificer can write and use a True Resurrection scroll. Having a Cleric for that is a little more convenient, but far from essential.

Danin
2010-03-10, 10:47 PM
I'll throw my idea into the fray.

As a mid level druid I spend the initial days after THE day preparing my sanctuary, moving earth to the roof of tall buildings and planting crop. Securing my rooftop sanctum by withdrawing ladders and the like, and greasing the walls and walk ways. I would remain hidden at night, for fear of flying prey.

When my sanctum was secured I would venture out, finding animals and creatures that had survived the outbreak. If none are to be found, I animate plants I can find and grow, creating a small group of us. Travel would be easy due to my ability to move through the earth and teleport between plants (which I would place). Eventually, I would charm and dominate birds that had survived the outbreak or those I would summon. Through use of scrying and my avian scouts I find a place untouched by the plague, and search for any survivors. I would establish a new sanctum in this place, returning to the city to find undead to destroy and reincarnate, eventually establishing a colony. This place, free from the plague would grow to be peaceful and prosperous, while a portal to the plane where animals and beasts reside would allow us to breed and replace lost animal populations.

I would spend years in study, hoping to find a cure for this plague. Baring that, once I hit epic levels I would develop a few spells. Firstly, one to create a ring of stone to encircle the city. Secondly, one to open a large gate to the elemental plane of water, thus flooding the city. Finally, after closing the gate, a spell to convert water to acid en mass.

Amiel
2010-03-11, 05:34 AM
[...]Oh, and the DM causes the pseudo-zombies to spontaneously develop new abilities as needed to kill things. And just to round things off, "no cheese".

...Except for the fact that the "new abilities so spontaneously developed" were actually implied, hinted at or otherwise spelled out in the OP, as well as eludicated in following posts.

This isn't so much a campaign setting as it is an exercise in the DM killing all players (which is sometimes a genre; but for that, you want All Flesh Must Be Eaten or maybe Call of Cthulu).

The main premise is survival horror within the D&D context after all.

[...]So that got me thinking, why not take a race that reproduces and gestates really quickly, like Myconoids, and farm them for souls. Doing this, you can have a ever-increasing supply of souls to farm for XP. You can eventually make them worship you to make you ascend to godhood.

How do you know that myconids reproduce and gestate with rapidity?
How do you know they even have souls?

Also;
On monsters and such in this setting, there are none, the super zombies have consumed them all. This has caused them to evolve into the horrific forms they are. This is why they are at such a high CR.

How about Ikea Tarrasque, Soviet, Armored, Paragon, Epic Pseudonatural, Half white dragon, Half fiendish, Ten headed Cyborg-Max hit dice-Chimeric Dire Battletitans of legend? Ridden by anaxim's? With laser beams and gatling cannons? And a flaming chain axe? And yes, both the dinosaur and the anaxim are equipped with these.

The hell are you getting those things at mid level?

Amiel
2010-03-11, 06:01 AM
Here's your damn game! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144987) :smallwink:

greenknight
2010-03-11, 06:23 AM
...Except for the fact that the "new abilities so spontaneously developed" were actually implied, hinted at or otherwise spelled out in the OP, as well as eludicated in following posts.

There's some grey areas though. For example, does this "disease" also affect creatures and classes normally immune to disease. For example, undead, constructs and Paladins of 3rd level and higher. If the answer is yes, then it's probably better to call this thing a curse rather than a disease.

How do you know that myconids reproduce and gestate with rapidity?

That's pretty much part of their racial description in the MMII.

How do you know they even have souls?

They are plant creatures, so I think that would be a reasonable assumption. There's a lot of other assumptions about them (such as being able to find them in the first place) which are a lot more questionable, IMO.

The hell are you getting those things at mid level?

I don't think he is. That's the grand plan for after he's levelled to godhood, or near enough to it. But like I've stated, the mid levels are indeed where he's going to face the real issues.

Here's your damn game! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144987) :smallwink:

No it isn't. I'll agree to most of the stuff you've got there, but sticking with Core races and classes only was never even hinted at, nor was a complete inability to use certain spells. Yes, there are no Gods, but there's still the power of Faith, and without that you are gimping even the few classes you are allowing. That's not on.

Volkov
2010-03-11, 06:28 AM
I meant about the whole awakened Skeleton thing. Can't find anything relating to the idea on the SRD, just a homebrew class on the Forum itself.
I recognised the reference to RTS unit size weirdness and so on easily enough, though. :) Good old building sized footsoldiers.
That and the fact that a spearman can punch out a panzer tank in civilization games.....Somehow.... As for the awakened skeleton, look in the Libris Mortis. With an LA of only one, which was bought off at level 12 any way, it's pretty darned good, especially if I was made with all the corpse crafter feats and in a desecrated area.

greenknight
2010-03-11, 06:43 AM
That and the fact that a spearman can punch out a panzer tank in civilization games.....Somehow.... As for the awakened skeleton, look in the Libris Mortis. With an LA of only one, which was bought off at level 12 any way, it's pretty darned good, especially if I was made with all the corpse crafter feats and in a desecrated area.

I'm not sure it would be fair to allow you to buy off LA prior to the scenario starting. That effectively makes you Level X "and a bit". That "bit" is more than anyone else gets.

Amiel
2010-03-11, 06:43 AM
There's some grey areas though. For example, does this "disease" also affect creatures and classes normally immune to disease. For example, undead, constructs and Paladins of 3rd level and higher. If the answer is yes, then it's probably better to call this thing a curse rather than a disease.

Disease can also be used to mean "evil, blight, affliction or curse among others" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disease)
It is supernatural in origin though.

That's pretty much part of their racial description in the MMII.

Ah, was working without that supplement; it is the same book that gave us adamantine horrors I see.

They are plant creatures, so I think that would be a reasonable assumption. There's a lot of other assumptions about them (such as being able to find them in the first place) which are a lot more questionable, IMO.

Are they moreso plants or creatures? If they display more plant-like characteristics, is it reasonable to assume that they would indeed have souls? Do plants even have souls?

I don't think he is. That's the grand plan for after he's levelled to godhood, or near enough to it. But like I've stated, the mid levels are indeed where he's going to face the real issues.

I wasn't disagreeing; I was merely curious where he was pulling all of that from.

No it isn't. I'll agree to most of the stuff you've got there, but sticking with Core races and classes only was never even hinted at, nor was a complete inability to use certain spells. Yes, there are no Gods, but there's still the power of Faith, and without that you are gimping even the few classes you are allowing. That's not on.

The game needn't necessary stick to the exact wording of the scenario.
This thread is where we make hypothetical suppositions; the game is more concrete. The exact reason why this thread was left vague was because to make it as encompassing as possible within the situation. The game is not to be a carbon copy of that. It's functioning to a different set of criteria.
The potential for spells failing or backfiring was already written in a subsequent post. It is not a new addition.

Also, as said in the game thread, there are case-by-case allowances.
Also, you are playing a survival horror game within the D&D context; not a potential deity.

Volkov
2010-03-11, 06:47 AM
Disease can also be used to mean "evil, blight, affliction or curse among others" (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/disease)
It is supernatural in origin though.

Ah, was working without that supplement; it is the same book that gave us adamantine horrors I see.

Are they moreso plants or creatures? If they display more plant-like characteristics, is it reasonable to assume that they would indeed have souls? Do plants even have souls?

I wasn't disagreeing; I was merely curious where he was pulling all of that from.

The game needn't necessary stick to the exact wording of the scenario.
This thread is where we make hypothetical suppositions; the game is more concrete. The exact reason why this thread was left vague was because to make it as encompassing as possible within the situation. The game is not to be a carbon copy of that. It's functioning to a different set of criteria.
The potential for spells failing or backfiring was already written in a subsequent post. It is not a new addition.

Also, as said in the game thread, there are case-by-case allowances.
Also, you are playing a survival horror game within the D&D context; not a potential deity.

Undeath itself is a curse, so which curse overrides which? Say if there as an max hit dice atropal, is it possible to infect it? Or would the atropal just laugh and scatter them?

Of course, the Atropal is much creepier....it is a giant undead godlike baby after all.

Amiel
2010-03-11, 06:50 AM
Undeath itself is a curse, so which curse overrides which? Say if there as an max hit dice atropal, is it possible to infect it? Or would the atropal just laugh and scatter them?

Of course, the Atropal is much creepier....it is a giant undead godlike baby after all.

Well, it was hinted that it may have been the work of malicious and otherwise bored deity. The OP however states it came about in the sacrifice of thousands of epic mages. Take that as you will.

Clarification added to the game thread.

greenknight
2010-03-11, 07:01 AM

I'd say it's more a condition. To some it's a curse, to others it's a benefit. And in mechanical terms, any condition which imposes a LA should be considered to be a benefit.

But more to the point, a creature can be placed under more than one curse. My guess is this would override the main creature type but not subtypes, and the new creature would assume a zombie like appearance, but still retain at least some characteristics of it's former existence.

But your "more concrete" game has already gone against many of the hypothetical solutions listed on this thread. Worse, it's gone even further in restricting survival options. And possibly worst of all, there's absolutely no way you can justify these creatures being CR16 if you make them effectively invulnerable to practically everything the character can do.

And yes, you did point out that magic might backfire or fizzle. But once again, that's just stacking the odds against the PC, which is why I largely ignored that "clarification". How in the world are you justifying these creatures as CR16 if the PC has less than normal WPL, lower than normal starting ability scores, you've removed most healing options (and restricted it to core only material, for the most part), made it so that magic has a significant chance of failure, and made them practically invulnerable to any damage other than when they are in direct sunlight? Under those circumstances, that's not CR16, that's CR Infinity.

Touchy
2010-03-11, 07:08 AM
But your "more concrete" game has already gone against many of the hypothetical solutions listed on this thread. Worse, it's gone even further in restricting survival options. And possibly worst of all, there's absolutely no way you can justify these creatures being CR16 if you make them effectively invulnerable to practically everything the character can do.

And yes, you did point out that magic might backfire or fizzle. But once again, that's just stacking the odds against the PC, which is why I largely ignored that "clarification". How in the world are you justifying these creatures as CR16 if the PC has less than normal WPL, lower than normal starting ability scores, you've removed most healing options (and restricted it to core only material, for the most part), made it so that magic has a significant chance of failure, and made them practically invulnerable to any damage other than when they are in direct sunlight? Under those circumstances, that's not CR16, that's CR Infinity.

I am legend just doesn't translate well into DnD then. :smallfrown:

Amiel
2010-03-11, 07:26 AM

Unfortunately, as pointed out, I Am Legend does not translate well into D&D. Though there's probably no harm in trying.
Allowing all available options as current within the D&D paradigm allows for utter craziness like ring gates, infinite loops et al; even within this thread, we can already see such taken into action.
Is it reasonable for limitations to be placed on a survival horror game? Although I am willing to ease up on the restrictions.

Clarification added to the game thread; healing and cure spells are go; positive energy plane reinstated.

greenknight
2010-03-11, 07:32 AM
I am legend just doesn't translate well into DnD then. :smallfrown:

One of the main points of "I am Legend", and indeed most zombie apocalypse movies, is that the "zombies" can be killed by regular damage. In some case, the parts continue to be animated, but this is set up so that they are aberrations so that probably shouldn't happen here. The real threat in any event is that there are large numbers of enemies to deal with, not that they are especially hard to kill individually.

But in this case, the "zombies" not only have numbers on their side, they are also darn near impossible to kill. And most of the few methods which might actually work against them have been nerfed. Even worse, this scenario has been set up as a "you'll really need healing" type thing, but the healers have also been seriously nerfed.

I have no doubt that D&D can emulate a zombie apocalypse type game, but that's not this game the way it's been set up.

Amiel
2010-03-11, 07:36 AM
One of the main points of "I am Legend", and indeed most zombie apocalypse movies, is that the "zombies" can be killed by regular damage. In some case, the parts continue to be animated, but this is set up so that they are aberrations so that probably shouldn't happen here. The real threat in any event is that there are large numbers of enemies to deal with, not that they are especially hard to kill individually.

Or you know, you could think outside the box.

But in this case, the "zombies" not only have numbers on their side, they are also darn near impossible to kill. And most of the few methods which might actually work against them have been nerfed. Even worse, this scenario has been set up as a "you'll really need healing" type thing, but the healers have also been seriously nerfed.

Did you miss this?

Clarification added to the game thread; healing and cure spells are go; positive energy plane reinstated.

Regarding the spell issue, I am not going to penalise the players unnecessarily. Not as even nearly as much as you are making it out to be. I've always used could when describing things as spell failure, never should.

greenknight
2010-03-11, 07:41 AM
Did you miss this?

No. I just stuck with your original intention rather than your modification.

Regarding the spell issue, I am not going to penalise the players unnecessarily. Not as even nearly as much as you are making it out to be. I've always used could when describing things as spell failure, never should.

You already have, just by putting in a chance for failure in the first place. And you've still completely failed to explain how these creatures can be CR16 when they are practically invulnerable.

Or you know, you could think outside the box.

Most people on this thread started out by doing just that. Then you changed the box....

Touchy
2010-03-11, 07:44 AM
Clearly our only chance of survival is to grab a repeating cross-bow and pretend it's a gun, then we need to form a firing line, while spouting a cheesy(Not DnD cheesy) phrases, and showhow, maybe, just maybe our bolts shall pass through the Damage reduction. :smallwink:

Amiel
2010-03-11, 07:49 AM
No. I just stuck with your original intention rather than your modification.

Why? :smallconfused:

You already have, just by putting in a chance for failure in the first place. And you've still completely failed to explain how these creatures can be CR16 when they are practically invulnerable.

Except for the fact that it is nowhere near as fearmongering an effect as you make it out to be.
You don't even know their DR; heck, you don't even know what their mechanics are, how are you concluding anything with that assumption.
Maybe it was scaremongering on my end when I was attempting to create a survival horror game.

Most people on this thread started out by doing just that. Then you changed the box....

IIRC, there were many...say we shall say, "epic" methods.

greenknight
2010-03-11, 08:08 AM
maybe, just maybe our bolts shall pass through the Damage reduction. :smallwink:

What DR? These things are invulnerable to damage except direct sunlight. That has been a central part of the scenario from the start. So the real challenge in destroying them hasn't been to deal damage, it's been to find ways to delay them so that they will be caught by direct sunlight, and to avoid being mobbed while you do so.

The modifications make that hard to do and add some very significant other challenges and restrictions to the original scenario. These modifications take the foes from CR16 to effectively CR Infinity.

@Amiel: Why did I stick with your original statement? Because it points out your intention. You decided to add a completely unreasonable restriction that you hadn't even mentioned here in this thread, which made the whole thing even more of a challenge than you originally proposed. And you've added many more changes as well, all of which do the same thing. You did change your mind on that one point, but there's still many other restrictions you've left in place.

You don't even know their DR;

Actually, I do, because you said so in the original post, and you repeated it in the game thread. "The creatures are only harmed by direct sunlight", which tells me they have Infinite DR, except under that specific circumstance.

IIRC, there were many...say we shall say, "epic" methods.

Sure. But that was assuming a number of things which simply wouldn't play out in game, as I and others pointed out in this thread. Or if they did play out at all, it would be well after the challenge posed by the initial scenario had been met. But there were also a few other proposed methods which addressed the opening stages of that scenario without actually going Epic. Although as far as I recall, none of them were entirely Core, and some weren't even mostly Core.

Amiel
2010-03-11, 08:24 AM
@Amiel: Why did I stick with your original statement? Because it points out your intention. You decided to add a completely unreasonable restriction that you hadn't even mentioned here in this thread, which made the whole thing even more of a challenge than you originally proposed. And you've added many more changes as well, all of which do the same thing. You did change your mind on that one point, but there's still many other restrictions you've left in place.

If the statement is clarified and changed, does this not change the intention. I am flexible and willing to be, your statement clearly shows you are not.
Another intention was to playtest some of the brutal grittiness rules I proposed in another thread; clearly this left somewhat to be desired.

Actually, I do, because you said so in the original post, and you repeated it in the game thread. "The creatures are only harmed by direct sunlight", which tells me they have Infinite DR, except under that specific circumstance.

Are you at all familiar with damage reduction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction)?
"The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities."
I would suggest it could be a misunderstanding on your end; note, the accompanying "no artificial light sources can harm them, even magically created one," this does not mean that they cannot be harmed in darkness, the original intention per your words, was that only direct sunlight can harm them, not artificial light sources. You were the one opining that it meant that even in darkness they cannot be harmed. Something that I didn't agree with and deleted.

Sure. But that was assuming a number of things which simply wouldn't play out in game, as I and others pointed out in this thread. Or if they did play out at all, it would be well after the challenge posed by the initial scenario had been met. But there were also a few other proposed methods which addressed the opening stages of that scenario without actually going Epic. Although as far as I recall, none of them were entirely Core, and some weren't even mostly Core.

I'm not even talking about the non-Core methods; you can already do so much within the Core D&D paradigm.
What you, and many others, were attempting was to play god in a situation where surviving was harsh.

greenknight
2010-03-11, 08:42 AM
If the statement is clarified and changed, does this not change the intention. I am flexible and willing to be, your statement clearly shows you are not.
Another intention was to playtest some of the brutal grittiness rules I proposed in another thread; clearly this left somewhat to be desired.

It certainly did, and was never part of the original scenario. And that's the big issue - you are adding a whole bunch of things which weren't part of that original scenario. The people responding to this thread pretty much locked in 3.5e D&D, but none of them (as far as I can tell) stuck to Core only. Nor did they go with healing restrictions, or any of the other stuff you added which significantly changed the scenario.

Are you at all familiar with damage reduction (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#damageReduction)?
"The creature takes normal damage from energy attacks (even nonmagical ones), spells, spell-like abilities, and supernatural abilities."

Indeed I am. And statements such as "The creatures are only harmed by direct sunlight" do not in any way suggest the normal limits of DR apply. Indeed, the only interpretation for that is exactly what is written.

I'm not even talking about the non-Core methods; you can already do so much within the Core D&D paradigm.
What you, and many others, were attempting was to play god in a situation where surviving was harsh.

Of course. If you are in a situation like that, what else do you do? Nature abhors a vacuum, and you've already removed all the former Gods from the scenario.

Yes, there was an effort to not only survive the situation, but thrive on it. Which is once again a normal reaction. To do anything else you might as well just put a gun to your head and shoot yourself (or the equivalent, in a fantasy world). But all of that would naturally have to have come later, after the initial challenges were dealt with. Your initial scenario would be over and done with well before anything like that could happen.

Amiel
2010-03-11, 09:00 AM
It certainly did, and was never part of the original scenario. And that's the big issue - you are adding a whole bunch of things which weren't part of that original scenario. The people responding to this thread pretty much locked in 3.5e D&D, but none of them (as far as I can tell) stuck to Core only. Nor did they go with healing restrictions, or any of the other stuff you added which significantly changed the scenario.

There seems to be some disconnect here. As already written, the game is standalone and separate to this thread. The original scenario is unchanged in this thread; whatever ideas people have been coming up with regarding the scenario are still very relevant. What makes you believe they are not?

Indeed I am. And statements such as "The creatures are only harmed by direct sunlight" do not in any way suggest the normal limits of DR apply. Indeed, the only interpretation for that is exactly what is written.

Your blanket statement of 'essentially immune to damage in darkness' seems that you are not. The only interpretation is not the above (which is an entirely too narrow view); rather it is that artificial light sources cannot effect them. Assumptions do not make the statement true.

Of course. If you are in a situation like that, what else do you do? Nature abhors a vacuum, and you've already removed all the former Gods from the scenario.

Yes, there was an effort to not only survive the situation, but thrive on it. Which is once again a normal reaction. To do anything else you might as well just put a gun to your head and shoot yourself (or the equivalent, in a fantasy world). But all of that would naturally have to have come later, after the initial challenges were dealt with. Your initial scenario would be over and done with well before anything like that could happen.

Well, per the premise and the questions, perhaps attempting to look at it from survival horror perspective; though note, apart from a few clarifying posts on my part, I never attempted to stymie discussion or cause people to recant their actions in any way, shape or form.

Volkov
2010-03-11, 09:37 AM
Would mummy rot devastate them? If it does, I'd just make a version of it with a high saving throw and leaves the skeleton of the victim, It'd still be a supernatural curse.

druid91
2010-03-11, 09:52 AM

Yeah survival is harsh. thats why I didn't assume my plan would go through with any kind of speed. Though with these super zombies It would go faster than say fighting kobolds. Besides I was using an elan.
They're abberations themselves and the don't really need to eat, all they need is a safe place to sleep which you so gladly provided.
They also have no upwards age limit. my plan was to snipe the things from the rooftops with something or another that would hinder them enough to leave them in the open during the day.
After a few hundred years of slaying super zombies I think I would have become epic level enough to go through with my horrifically evilcompletely acceptable plan.

Volkov could find his Myconoids with a combination of knowledge: dungeoneering and knowledge: nature. One deals with Caves and the other with plants/plant creatures.

Can't dragons get divine levels from eating their horde, and kobolds are true dragons by RAW?

Its a prestige class and it only gets you to quasi-deity rank. after that your on your own.

And after re-reading the thread I have noticed that I can make the emerald legion without being evil, assuming I have epic psionics. but the whole plan hinges on epic psionics anyway.

lists of various plans and assumed status.

Volkov: he is some sort of undead leading an army of intelligent robotic undead to battle the pseudo undead menace.

Vizzerdrix: is out somewhere surrounded by constructs.

Ben the jester: walking towards the sun for all eternity.

Soranar: some guy with a vow of poverty attempting to save everyone from both the pseudo undead and Volkov.

The shadowmind: is either a warlock of furry un-death or some sort of kobold thing.Allied with Volkov.

Tiki snakes: has left the material plane in order to go live in one of the upper planes.

Lysander: is a cleric who wants to find enough diamonds to resurrect people.

Gralamin: is either dead because he wanted to go out in a blaze of glory or
preparing to be dead because of going out in a blaze of glory.

Bibliomancer: is the artificer ally of Volkov inventing and building for forever.

Slayn82: has manufactured a simulacrum horde to hunt the super zombies with.

Jack_Simth: no clue couldn't figure out if he was just giving advice or what.

Riffington: has established a druidic nature reserve under the ocean.

Krossbow: is leading all the paladins he can find in a charge across the world.

Olo Demonsbane: is wandering around killing super zombies.

ZeroNumerous:has either destroyed the world or is floating around on the astral plane watching arena battles.

the log man: is some sort of shadow caster.

lord_khaine: is an psionic warforged hiding at night and making quintessence traps during the day.

greenknight: is a warforged artificer cranking out magic items and the like in order to kill Volkov.

Longcat: is trying to do pretty much the same thing as Volkov with less evil.

Touchy: is a lawful warforged cleric preparing his army of lawful clerics of lawfor the final showdown with Volkov.allied short term truce with Volkov.

chiasaur11: is a crusader, no idea what hes doing but his talk of infinite damage can't be good.

Tinydwarfman: is a planar shepherd with warlock body guards.

Acero: is a ranger presumably just surviving out in the wasteland.

Eldonauran: is a whisper gnome, doing something or another.

Desmond Tiny: is a warlock. allied with Volkov

Wings of Peace: is running around mocking people before they die while whistling.

And me Druid 91: is battling the super zombies with epic psionics and an army of troll super-soldiers led by mind flayer overseers. that and the cripplesconstructs the super-soldier program produces will be my personal bodygaurds.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-11, 06:11 PM
How do you get the resources to build the super trolls?

druid91
2010-03-11, 06:38 PM
How do you get the resources to build the super trolls?

I make them with my epic psionics. which I get by hunting super zombies until I am high enough level to make whatever I want. anyway the first thing is to remake mind flayers. then have them help me with the trolls.

Touchy
2010-03-11, 06:45 PM
Actually I'm neutral to Volkov but not aligned, and in an ignored post I set us both under Quest, to ensure the contract go accordingly. Said thing is we don't interfere with each other, I split half the island with him, then we both go to war when all the "zombies" are dead.

I guess I would be a warforged, because the law never rests.

I am also amassing all the survivors I can to train them into clerichood of the law. With either the Law/Protection or Law/Strength domains.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-11, 07:50 PM
How do you survive battles with zombies 4-5 CR higher than your character level? :smallconfused:

The Shadowmind
2010-03-11, 07:54 PM
How do you survive battles with zombies 4-5 CR higher than your character level? :smallconfused:

There are supposedly weak to sunlight, so very big mirrors.

druid91
2010-03-11, 10:15 PM

pick them off one by one when its close to dawn. you see I don't have to outright kill them, just stop them from getting under cover before dawn. Though I could always just do a smaller version of ZeroNumerous's destroy the world plan in order to remove their underground hiding spots.

also I fixed touchy in my list.

Volkov
2010-03-12, 10:04 AM
Since the "zombies" apparently can't fly, I'd hover above them tossing flamestrikes and firestorms. I could also work with one of the artificers, putting my awakened skeleton cleric with all the corpse crafter feat bonuses attatched and built in a desecrated area self in their base as an ally. Everyone could use a clericzilla.

Slayn82
2010-03-12, 01:39 PM
And of course, well employed teleportation traps are Save or Die to our enemies.

chiasaur11
2010-03-12, 01:50 PM
Clearly our only chance of survival is to grab a repeating cross-bow and pretend it's a gun, then we need to form a firing line, while spouting a cheesy(Not DnD cheesy) phrases, and showhow, maybe, just maybe our bolts shall pass through the Damage reduction. :smallwink:

Our only hope is a wisecracking S-Mart employee from the future with a chainsaw hand.

And even he's going to take a while to get this job done.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-12, 02:09 PM
Our only hope is a wisecracking S-Mart employee from the future with a chainsaw hand.

And even he's going to take a while to get this job done.

Make sure he doesn't cast the MacGuffin spell himself, or "Then it gets Worse".

druid91
2010-03-12, 03:15 PM
Now that I think about it his game would probably be more survival horror if he ran it with us in the background while all of our plans finished or nearly finished. You run into Volkov you are "enlisted" in his undead horde, Chiasaur just kills you outright for whatever reason he feels like, Touchy kills you for minor breaches of the law and the closest thing to a safe place in the world is under water nature preserves? Yeah seems a lot scarier then just hordes of super zombies that die in sunlight. Maybe its the variety or something.

chiasaur11
2010-03-12, 03:24 PM
Now that I think about it his game would probably be more survival horror if he ran it with us in the background while all of our plans finished or nearly finished. You run into Volkov you are "enlisted" in his undead horde, Chiasaur just kills you outright for whatever reason he feels like, Touchy kills you for minor breaches of the law and the closest thing to a safe place in the world is under water nature preserves? Yeah seems a lot scarier then just hordes of super zombies that die in sunlight. Maybe its the variety or something.

I wouldn't kill people!

Inefficient. You punch the planet for infinite damage.

Precisely deployed hyperviolence is much better than random hyperviolence.

druid91
2010-03-12, 03:40 PM
Technically all you do is stop time for everyone, forever. your turn never ends because you can't stop rolling.:smallbiggrin: though it is more fun with infinite damage.

Volkov
2010-03-12, 03:47 PM
I wouldn't kill people!

Inefficient. You punch the planet for infinite damage.

Precisely deployed hyperviolence is much better than random hyperviolence.

Random Hyperviolence is more fun. Especially if it includes ludicrous gibs and is done to people you hate.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-12, 04:06 PM
Do chickens have souls that can be crushed, or is that sentient species only?

Slayn82
2010-03-12, 05:56 PM
Well, if sentient species only, then someone will clearly make a way to mass Awaken the chickens just to sacrifice then to satiate the hunger of some dark god with their souls, while then satiating the hunger of some goblins with their flesh, and then just for the kicks reanimating their scatered bones in strange ways to raise an army. Just because it can be done.:smallbiggrin:

And i agree with druid91. OP proposed something Resident Evil, but we went God of War and then our politics and interations ended making the scenario like Starcraft.

Volkov
2010-03-12, 06:00 PM
And when the last zombie is dead, the credits will roll and this music shall start to play.
(http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQGKgh4aTOQ&feature=PlayList&p=205777BCD4FFF69E&index=119)
The instruments shall be handled by a band of awakened 100 hit dice tarrasques, and the choir will also be handled by a group of awakened 100 hit dice tarrasques with maximum ranks in perform (sing.) Who will then leap on the audience and eat them upon finishing their performance.

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-12, 06:26 PM
I'll throw an upgraded version of my plan from the recruitment thread into the ring.

A Ranger/Deepwood Sniper/ heading for Cragtop Archer with the Girillion Arms Soulmeld so he can Dual Wield Bows.

Machine Gun Archer who can attack from ultra long distance. Give him a Bow with the Splitting Enchantment, and he can launch way too many attacks. Especially if he has a Bow with the Undead Bane enchantment.

druid91
2010-03-12, 07:41 PM
The super zombies are actually some sort of abberation. Also would be going it alone or joining someones team. Psst.. Hey I'll tell the mind-flayers to keep the trolls from killing you if you join my team*.

*note that this won't be a problem immediately.

Slayn82
2010-03-12, 07:44 PM
Guys, you know what, forget Starcraft, this scenario plays a lot more like Sid Meyer's Alpha Centaury. Even to the point that all factions are shameless into copying each other's charactheristics, but even then each has its own strenghts and weaknesses.

If i had just a little more free time, i would love to DM a game on that angle. Specially because DM's task almost half of the time is just inform people of what has happened around, and the other time is moulding the scenario.

The Shadowmind
2010-03-12, 08:51 PM
What if we throw in some Tippyverse style traps as well?
A trap of dimension door, that sends the super zombies to the surface should they step on it.
Flooding the city slowing with a Deceaner of endless water, forcing the "super zombies" to the surface, where the sunlight finishes them off.
Use Soften Earth and Stone, to hollow out a mountain, and make Wall of Stone, turning them into support beams with Stone Shape. Wall of stone->Stone Shape boulder "traps". at the mountain stronghold in case any enemies to approach.

druid91
2010-03-13, 12:51 AM
I think we skipped Tippyverse and went straight to Pun-Pun.

Amiel
2010-03-13, 01:13 AM
OP proposed something Silent Hill/Penumbra, but we went Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann and then our politics and interations ended making the scenario like 1984.

Fixed :smallwink:

Anyways, here's the (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZ901ygKPY&feature=related) music for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFGq-xJxVM&feature=related) the final battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wPMgSsEqg&feature=related)!

The Shadowmind
2010-03-13, 01:24 AM
Fixed :smallwink:

Anyways, here's the (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiZ901ygKPY&feature=related) music for (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSFGq-xJxVM&feature=related) the final battle (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1wPMgSsEqg&feature=related)!

But we haven't started making 2+2=5, and crushing Pyramid head with transforming robots that will drill to the heaves. That comes when you accept Big Brother.

chiasaur11
2010-03-13, 01:54 AM
And somehow, I just know Patrick McGoohan will come into play.

And then we can all kiss our mad schemes of power and authoritarian regimes goodbye.

It's like the man said, though. One must be either hammer or anvil.

(Coincidentally, the base set up, as it stands, leaves us all as tin anvils, which is why none of us are setting up a cheering section for it. Only one thing happens if you're the anvil, and it ain't fun.)

Slayn82
2010-03-13, 01:37 PM
As i recently came to realize, certain Fiends have the Possession power. So, by using Simmulacrums of those, i could greatly enhance the power of my side, with the possessed objects receiving 2000gp equivalent of magical power per HD of the possessing Fiend. That could allown for easy employment of Ring Gates and teleportation objects, while being plentifull and reutilizable.

Desmond Tiny
2010-03-13, 01:50 PM
As i recently came to realize, certain Fiends have the Possession power. So, by using Simmulacrums of those, i could greatly enhance the power of my side, with the possessed objects receiving 2000gp equivalent of magical power per HD of the possessing Fiend. That could allown for easy employment of Ring Gates and teleportation objects, while being plentifull and reutilizable.

I don't think it matters how much money you have because the resources for magic items like ring gates do not exist. Also how do you get the fiends to help you?

Slayn82
2010-03-13, 03:06 PM
The Fiend's can be obtained by Plannar Ally spells. Bits of them can be used to create the Simmulacrums. The Simmulacrums possess the target item, conceding it power. The target item can even be completely mundane. This process isnt a true enchantment, but works well enought.

Also, this allows for instant customization of the tactics. The duration is undefined, as long as the Fiend/Simmulacrum wishes to do it. Harming or destroying the item doesnt harm the Fiend.

Itous
2010-03-13, 03:20 PM
i will research and develop my own magic items, first using mundane methods to get food and water then eventually make a bag that produces food and water, i would then research material pouches.
small bags that contain constant effecting spells such as Minor creator giving me rawr items and materials as i need them aswell as another one with Dewjarma's instant summons (or how ever you spell it) giving me a prepared item.

this now cuts the purpose of having money

shortly after i would research weaponary and create some sort of rapid fireball launcher crossing ranger feats with arcane ability and roguish know-how essentially using rapid shot, many shot, craft wand and some sort of mundane mechanism to rotate a series of wands around, like a grenede launcher, each one having, empowered and maximise fireball.

i could then stand on the roof of my dwelling and fire wildly into the city regaining XP while i research some form of teleport spell making it into. large explosions on that scale would most likely attract some kind of intelligent attention most likely several groups of adventurers, together we would form a resistance movement having them gather componants for spells i would then research and develop powerful spells perhaps even an arcane magical cure for this virus, restoring people to thier former states

druid91
2010-03-13, 07:14 PM
i will research and develop my own magic items, first using mundane methods to get food and water then eventually make a bag that produces food and water, i would then research material pouches.
small bags that contain constant effecting spells such as Minor creator giving me rawr items and materials as i need them aswell as another one with Dewjarma's instant summons (or how ever you spell it) giving me a prepared item.

this now cuts the purpose of having money

shortly after i would research weaponary and create some sort of rapid fireball launcher crossing ranger feats with arcane ability and roguish know-how essentially using rapid shot, many shot, craft wand and some sort of mundane mechanism to rotate a series of wands around, like a grenede launcher, each one having, empowered and maximise fireball.

i could then stand on the roof of my dwelling and fire wildly into the city regaining XP while i research some form of teleport spell making it into. large explosions on that scale would most likely attract some kind of intelligent attention most likely several groups of adventurers, together we would form a resistance movement having them gather componants for spells i would then research and develop powerful spells perhaps even an arcane magical cure for this virus, restoring people to thier former states

While your doing this Volkov has noted your position and his undead drag you off to the soul farms. Either that or you attract the attention of one of the multiple horrifying monsters that were made by someone or another (troll super-soldiers, effigy beasts, that sort of thing.) and now the super zombies are the least of your worries. Also I think there was something like that wand setup in one of the Ebberon books but I could be wrong.

greenknight
2010-03-13, 07:53 PM
Also I think there was something like that wand setup in one of the Ebberon books but I could be wrong.

Complete Mage - Rod of Many Wands. And my Artificer would have created heaps of them, since "only harmed by direct sunlight" apparently means harmed by just about everything if you can provide enough force (or the right type of force which is not necessarily sunlight).

This might be a good idea for a Programmed Image trap. Set it up to create some (illusory) fireworks, then sit back and watch the creatures who are attracted to the display annihilate one another... :smallbiggrin:

Zexion
2010-03-13, 08:05 PM
I use my incredibly powerful Enhanced Maximized Empowered Wish spell to wish that I could control the island's physical properties a la divinely morphic, except only for me.