PDA

View Full Version : Best strongholds?

The Shadowmind
2010-03-07, 02:20 PM
I'm thinking about using the Stronghold Builder's the design a base for an villain of questionable alignment. There is no party to go against it yet, but I want to have a base idea on how well Stronghold's can be build using the Stronghold Builder's guide rules. The villain would likely be an Artificer if that matters. The villain isn't going to be "Kick the Dog" (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KickTheDog) evil, but closer to Lex Luthor weapon designer/business man style of evil. Eberron setting.

So what are good bases that could be built at levels 9, 12, 15, and 18, for this villain, with or without the Landlord feat?
Please no using infinite wealth tricks, but most cost reducing tricks are okay(be a little reasonable.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-07, 02:23 PM
Google "Living in a Flying Box". You really can't get better than that.

BRC
2010-03-07, 02:28 PM
Stronghold Builder's Guidebook is great for DM's trying to build someplace, but the prices are WAY too high for players (I forget, but I think they set the price of an Inn (Bar, Kitchen, a few rooms)) at over 100,000 GP.

As for his stronghold, we'll, he'd need a considerable legitimate front. I'd make it a compound with four parts, the Public area, for potential customers and whatnot, the Offices, the Manufacturing area, and Warehouses. Evil can occur in the higher levels of the Offices, or in forgotten corners of the Warehouse.

Give him multiple types of security, from uniformed guards (The equivalent of modern Rent-a-Cops), to his elite mercenaries, to powerful wizards or sorcerers that wander around in disguise.

bosssmiley
2010-03-07, 03:25 PM
Google "Living in a Flying Box". You really can't get better than that.

Sure you can: Azlum Swift's Geodesic Airship from "Champions of Mystara". It's a giant flying d20 with mirrored hull plating overlaid with walls of force.

Buy a dungeon, and build a traditional 'castle' or 'wizards tower' on top as your summer house. Dungeons. Tis customary, and more defensible. :smallwink:

Bibliomancer
2010-03-07, 04:43 PM
Sure you can: Azlum Swift's Geodesic Airship from "Champions of Mystara". It's a giant flying d20 with mirrored hull plating overlaid with walls of force.

Buy a dungeon, and build a traditional 'castle' or 'wizards tower' on top as your summer house. Dungeons. Tis customary, and more defensible. :smallwink:

However, the flying box uses prismatic walls AND walls of force, if you use the correct variant.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-07, 04:50 PM
However, the flying box uses prismatic walls AND walls of force, if you use the correct variant.

And has psionic powers built into it (via the Psion operating the entire thing).

I mean, the only way Azlum Swift's Geodesic Airship will be better is if Initiate of Mystara is involved.

Bibliomancer
2010-03-07, 04:51 PM
I mean, the only way Azlum Swift's Geodesic Airship will be better is if Initiate of Mystara is involved.

Or if it has been hijacked by a Beholder Mage.

Eldariel
2010-03-07, 04:56 PM
Or if it has been hijacked by a Beholder Mage.

Y'know, the best flying ship is a Beholder Mage. Preferably a living one with 10th level Divine casting and Psionics.