PDA

View Full Version : Eight arcane traps [4e]

Glyphic
2010-03-07, 03:27 PM
In the upcoming weeks, my party will be visiting the tomb of a dwarf wizard who forsook his heritage, as part of his wizardly pursuits..

What I'm hoping for ideas, are tile-traps. One for each old school of magic. Thus, when you're standing on the square, your attacks get a boost, or a trap activates.

The schools are, of course, Illusion, necromancy, conjuration, evocation, enchantment, Abjuration, divination, and transmutation.

I'm always grateful for ideas. Thanks in advance. :smallsmile:

Yakk
2010-03-07, 03:39 PM
What kind of trap:
Do you want one single tile, or something you could spread throughout a room?

Mando Knight
2010-03-07, 03:58 PM
In the upcoming weeks, my party will be visiting the tomb of a dwarf wizard who forsook his heritage, as part of his wizardly pursuits..

Therefore, the tomb is built in the canopy of two massive trees, and all of the runes are in Primordial. :smalltongue:

Evard
2010-03-07, 04:06 PM
Associate a color for each school and have a battle on a bunch of random color tiles, during the battle nothing happens but after the last monster dies have the monster use a magic spell... depending on the color and number of squares the players stood on have that many of a certain school hit them when they go into the next room...

example

black = necromancy
red = enchantment
green =evocation

during the battle Frenkle Frank the Fighter steps on 3 black tiles and 2 red tiles and 2 green tiles during battle and watches the last monster die casting a spell... Frenkle Frank the Fighter thinks something happen but nothing seems to have... He walks into the next room and BLAMO he is hit with

ray of enfeeblement
Blindness/Deafness
vampiric touch

lightning bolt
fireball

crushing dispair
confusion

Or something like that haha :p Or in the second room can be golems that get the powers that the players step on :p

*edit*
even more fun if you do the golem route is write the spell names on the tiles and let them step on the ones they want lol

Oh and make wind walls come from holes in the floor ceiling or walls to stop projectiles :D

The New Bruceski
2010-03-07, 04:31 PM
The schools are, of course, Illusion, necromancy, conjuration, evocation, enchantment, Abjuration, divination, and transmutation.

Illusion - Your image blurs as if seen through a prism, +2 to AC and reflex while in this square.
Necromancy - Any creature standing in this square at the beginning of their turn takes 5 necrotic damage. Any creature killed in this square rises at the start of their next turn as a zombie minion. (DM picks appropriate stats)
Conjuration - A creature in this square can use a minor action to conjure a wall of stone until the end of their next turn (sustain minor). This thin wall covers one side of the square (caster's choice), and grants cover appropriately. If the caster leaves the Conjuration Square, the wall disappears at the end of his/her turn.
Evocation - Flames whirl inside this space. Any creature who enters this square takes ongoing 5 fire damage (save ends),
Enchantment - Any creature beginning its turn in this square is dazed until the start of their next turn.
Abjuration - This square is warded against intrusion. It counts as difficult terrain, but gives +2 to all defenses while inside it.
Divination - Any creature in this square can see a few seconds into the future and anticipate the enemy's movements. +2 to all attacks.
Transmutation - Any character standing in this square can remove one keyword from any attacks they make. For example, an attack that does 1d6 fire and lightning damage could do only fire or lightning damage.

Zaq
2010-03-07, 04:37 PM
You're using the magic schools from 3.5? Hit them with spells from 3.5. You can find ways to twist the results into 4e-speak easily enough with a little creativity... but keep as much of the 3.5ness of it as possible. Break the rules by using, you know, cones and stuff. If you summon monsters, let them threaten with reach, or make trip attacks on AoOs. Just mix things up and let them deal with strange, otherworldly rules.

I know that my (3.5) GM has said that somewhere in the area we're exploring we might be able to find a 4e character. We'll recognize him by his mighty Firecube or Magic Square Against Evil. This is the same thing, in reverse.