PDA

View Full Version : Mouse Guard

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-03-07, 04:51 PM
So, lo and behold, there hath dropped into my life a brand new RPG. Mouse Guard (http://www.burningwheel.org/forum/forumdisplay.php?41-Mouse-Guard-RPG) takes the Burning Wheel engine, and streamlines it, also coming through with a very interesting system of adventuring. Not only is the game split between "GM's Turn" (GM sends players on a mission) and "Player's Turn" (Players spend points earned to do whatever they want), but the game's focus on combat and goals is really interesting.

Even beyond the system, there's mounds of stuff that can be used in any RPG situation. In fact, I might blog a little on how to adapt one bit or the other to a game like D&D. Ideas are already stirring...

Totally Guy
2010-03-07, 05:44 PM
I really like the way conflict and advancement is handled.

The rock paper scissors conflict element, as well as taking turns and knowing what skills you are good at, really give meaning to choices.

Then the advancement ties straight in to what you are trying to do and you can essentially improve your fight skill in the middle of a fight situation.

I also love the ease of running non-standard conflicts such as an argument or a chase, or even climbing a tree in a strong wind.

The Circles ability is amazing, same as with wises, really powerful stuff. You can find an NPC to interact with even if the GM hadn't even considered his existence.

A lot of the philosophy seems to be about the player's debating with the GM over what happens next and then the dice decide. The role of the GM is a lot less that the "God" of other systems, this suits me just fine.:smallsmile:

CarpeGuitarrem
2010-03-08, 01:14 PM
What I really liked best is how those elements come together to create an interesting story. Plus, it points to things that can be somewhat adapted and crossed over to other systems, to tell a better story.