PDA

View Full Version : Building a Totemist

nekomata2
2010-03-07, 05:14 PM
So I'm building a Totemist for a 5th level game, since my DM doesn't want me casting. I figured I'd try out Incarnum, since it is the only variant system I'd never tried. I've read the handbook and everything. (Alternately, if I don't like the way this works out, I'll fall back to bard, but I've done that before.)

I'm thinking Skarn for the race, 30 PB, 5th level WBL, and I'm intending to stay a straight Totemist. Advice on Feats and Soulmelds would be great. I have my points set currently:

Str: 14
Dex: 13
Con: 17
Int: 10
Wis: 12
Cha: 8

Before racial adjustments, but I'm not particularly satisfied with that. Oh, and the party looks to be Cleric, Sorc, Warblade (or Crusader), Unarmed Swordsage, and me.
So, thanks in advance.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-07, 05:18 PM
5th level? Here are your options:

Abuse Basilisk Mask using Dragonborn Mongrelfolk.

Manticore Belt FTW.

Landshark Boots+Urskan Greaves

Abuse Phase Cloak's Poison.

Raiki
2010-03-07, 07:10 PM
When I first looked at Magic of Incarnum, I thought the system was fantastic. It was new, it was innovative, it had a distinct feel and flavour from anything I'd seen before in D&D.

This feeling of support and awesomeness lasted right up until I triend to actually make an incarnum character. When I did, I must confess I was underwhelmed. Most of the stuff you get is okay, and the ability to change your soulmelds every day is pretty cool. The ability to move your essentia around as a free action is even cooler. However, when you get right down to it, Incarnum doesn't really do much. Yes, totemist is better off than the others, but really it's just a class of "I shape this meld to get this minor power, and a +essentia bonus to this skill".

That's. About. It.

And on top of that, whenever you bind a soulmeld to a chakra, you close off a body slot for magic items. This is a trap.

Yes, it can be good for a low level dip, but if you want the versatility of the incarnum classes, I would recommend Binder. Or, if your DM allows 3rd party supplements, look up the Spirit Binder in Secrets of Pact Magic by Daario Nardi. It's basically an expansion book for the binder, but because they're not OGL, they had to call it something different. Definitely worth a look. My group bought a copy and we love it.

~R~

Draz74
2010-03-07, 07:47 PM
I'm under the impression that the two must-have feats for a versatile Totemist build are Bonus Essentia and Double Chakra (totem). But I'm no expert, so you should get confirmation from someone who is.

nekomata2
2010-03-07, 07:54 PM
Raiki, I played a binder for a campaign levels 1-8, did not enjoy it. It never really worked for me.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-07, 07:54 PM
I'm under the impression that the two must-have feats for a versatile Totemist build are Bonus Essentia and Double Chakra (totem). But I'm no expert, so you should get confirmation from someone who is.

Double Chakra is for specific builds. Anyone abusing the Manticore Belt, or anyone making extensive use of the Basilisk Mask can ignore it.

Bonus Essentia isn't that vital. It's like Improved Init. If you have a free feat and don't know what to take, take Bonus Essentia.

When I first looked at Magic of Incarnum, I thought the system was fantastic. It was new, it was innovative, it had a distinct feel and flavour from anything I'd seen before in D&D.

This feeling of support and awesomeness lasted right up until I triend to actually make an incarnum character. When I did, I must confess I was underwhelmed. Most of the stuff you get is okay, and the ability to change your soulmelds every day is pretty cool. The ability to move your essentia around as a free action is even cooler. However, when you get right down to it, Incarnum doesn't really do much. Yes, totemist is better off than the others, but really it's just a class of "I shape this meld to get this minor power, and a +essentia bonus to this skill".

While there is some truth to this, the real reason the Incarnum classes exist is to act as a minor Magic Item system that works (Incarnate), or to create your own monster (Totemist).

The idea isn't that it brings something new to the table, it's that it makes using other things easier (any Artificer would kill to have the Incarnate's soulmelds, and any Fighter can make use of the Totemist's natural weapons with glee). It truly shines in Gestalt, as it's a near default if allowed due to sheer synergy (seriously, who doesn't use their Con score?).

Looking at it like it were the Tome of Battle isn't the right way to use it. It's a more efficient Magic Item crafting system. Or VoP that works.