PDA

View Full Version : Into the Library.

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Krennel
2010-03-07, 05:37 PM
It’s late in the evening at Gold Crossing, a prominent trade road. You look towards the sky, visible over the tops of the trees at the fork in the road. The sky is turning red, not a cloud is visible in the sky, typical late summer weather for the region. Golden fields are showered with the last rays of light touch the stock of grain.
You decide to set up camp, and tell your stories. After all, good stories around a warm fire helps relieve the stress of a long days walk.

Dragero
2010-03-08, 04:08 PM
Orlando sits on a stump near the fire. He draws his twin blades.

Did I ever tell you how I got these swords? At the response from the others, telling him he has not, he continues: Well it was about 5 years ago. I was patrolling outside of a great lords' home. Out in the bushes, I noticed some movement. I approuched, my battleaxe that I used at the time in my hands. I peeked inside to see a group of bandits pouring some white syrupy liquid into a pitcher full of somthing that was probably milk. "Halt!!" I yelled to them, "Halt in the name of Lord Razmat!" They looked up at me, surprised to see a half-orc in such fine armour. They then drew their blades and swarmed at me, at least 6 of them there was! I sundered the first two peoples blades in half, those two ran away in fear. Suddenly from my left, a shining beam of rainbow light shot at me. I dodged it, and it hit the other 3 men beside me, knocking them out! In rage, I ran at the sorcerer! He tryed to flee, but my axe was faster than his legs. I managed to cut the head off in a single blow!

I went inside to report to Lord Razmat, and he thanked me with these two blades. Sadly, he died the next day. I was acused of this, so I had to flee the area. They're probably still looking for me.

Folding his hands across his chest, orlando sits back and sips some wine.

Volthawk
2010-03-08, 04:32 PM
"Wow, really? Well, I've got a story too. It's about how I ended up here, with you all." Sothix pauses for a second, thinking. "Well, you see our colony of kobolds are different to the other local colonies. They were all worshippers of Kurtulmak and were evil, but we weren't. We worship Io, and the other didm't like that, and shut us completely off from them. You see, we're in a bit of a situation here, as the members of our own race don't want us. and the other races distrust us, as the rest of the kobolds don't exactly leave a good impression. Then, I was born. I'm a Dragon-wought, you see, and my colony saw it as an opportunity. An opportunity to be accepted into the world, as that was what I was foretold to do. So, I'm here, helping everyone so we can be accepted into society."

ShotgunPete
2010-03-08, 06:38 PM
It must be wonderful, to be exalted among your people like that. My family considers me an outcast, being kicked out of the wizard academy despite being the most talented in the class, if I do say so. I come from a long line of wizards, of which most have served in the royal castle. To be the eldest of the family and not be able to take up my father's current post is a great shame to him. I can make magic without a spellbook, and the bookworms feel threatened by any sort of magic they don't understand, so they shun me to learn on my own. I was, shall we say, "donated," to the state to use as they saw fit before I was an adult, so that I would be out of sight and out of mind. Needless to say, the crown has use for someone who can weave illusions and enchantments at will, so I am an errand boy of sorts for an official in the military who feels the little quest we've gotten ourselves into to be a worthy cause.

Krennel
2010-03-10, 02:46 AM
A few merchants all dressed meagerly so as not to attract attention, snore in their tents as you realize the night has brought darkness as you talked around the fire. A few scattered caravan guards stand watch, and you decide to head to bed. Unrolling your bed rolls, you look up at the sky, and notice no moon.
Lying in bed you stare into the darkness that is the night sky. A nearby guard suggests you count the stars to help you sleep. As you count them you notice something very odd. One by one the stars dim and die before your eyes, in no apparent order.
None of the guards notice, concerned with threats of the earthly variety.

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 05:33 AM
Fiona

(Story, since I don't feel like just deleting it)
"Remarkable tales from undoubtedly remarkable men," Fiona said. Her green eyes glittered in the firelight, vivid dots in a shape that might otherwise escape notice entirely. "My life was...simpler, quieter. So a simple, quiet tale I will tell.

"It begins with a child playing in the river. She had been there many times before, while adults did the washing and other children splashed each other in the shallows. On this day, though, she had gotten up in the early morning, before anyone else, so that she could be in the river alone, hear its murmurings and rumblings untainted by the sounds of chores and screaming children. But she waded in further than she had before, and suddenly her feet were swept out from under her. She bobbed along in the rapid currents, arms flailing to keep her head above water. And she screamed for help, for surely she would dash her head against a rock, or get thrown off a waterfall, or simply drown when her arms tired. Oh, how she screamed!

"And help came. A slim arm reached down and grabbed her own, and she was hoisted into the air, through the air, onto the riverbank. As she sobbed for breath, gentle hands felt her pulse, checked her body for broken bones. Then the hands withdrew, and the person strode into the trees. The girl had not the strength to call her thanks to him, but in the moment before his face was shrouded by trees, she saw a pointed ear.

"The elves have been gone for centuries. Some say they will never return; others whisper that they never existed at all. But one little girl learned differently that day."

Sitting against the tree she had chosen to be her bed, Fiona stared uneasily at the points of light as they winked out in turn. What could possibly blot out the night sky? For comfort's sake, she decided to do a quick lookabout. She stood and carefully donned her armor, slung bow and quiver across her back, and stuck her handaxe in its belt loop. Her movements showed the speed of much practice, but not the ease of experience.

She quietly made her way over to a guard. "You and your fellows should keep a sharp watch," she told him shortly. "The stars are restless tonight." Not waiting for an answer, she slipped away to the perimeter of the camp. She kept to the shadows as she snuck about, eyes and ears peeled for anything out of the ordinary.

Rolls are made here, I assume?
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
Hide: [roll2]
Move Silently: [roll3]

Dragero
2010-03-10, 07:33 AM
Gah! I`m so tired tonight that even my eyes are tricking me!! Night everyone, if I don`t go to sleep soon, that black dragon from a few years back will appear again!

Volthawk
2010-03-10, 12:11 PM
"Odd." Sothix sits ups and starts speaking in Draconic.

"Darastrix urathear Io, ocuir wux darastrix petisse vrak, ocuir wux vorastrix. Troth thurkear thrai, svent malsvir fintir isk."

Translation for any Draconic speakers
Dragon god Io, watch your dragon kobold child, watch your sorcerer. Protect the night sky, and kill the slayer of the stars.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-10, 12:31 PM
Lumble noticed the stars as well, and tried to remember hearing of such a thing. This can't be good... he mumbles to himself.

Spellcraft - [roll0]
Knowledge (arcane) - [roll1]

Volthawk
2010-03-10, 12:34 PM
"Well, let's hope that helps..."

Sothix now tries another approach, using his brain to think and try to figure out what is going on

Knowledge (Arcana) [roll0]
Spellcraft [roll1]

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 04:44 PM
For the record, I guess:
Knowledge (nature) [roll0]--if nothing else, to determine that whatever is happening is not anything natural.

tiny tim
2010-03-10, 06:05 PM
Darkwing notices the suspicious darkening of the sky, but simply tenses and clutches his spear tightly to himself in preparation for any trouble that may come.

Readied action:

Readies an action to leap from the tree and glide to the ground if anything attempts attacking him. I'll roll the jump check in the OoC thread.

Dragero
2010-03-10, 07:20 PM
Orlando keeps snoozing, thinking that these people are just crazy.

Krennel
2010-03-10, 07:28 PM
Lumble
You recall something about some prophecy for the region, about doom and damnation, just the usual. Still, most prophecies like that have some kind of powerful magical requirement attached, not to mention a grain of truth.
Sothix
Nothing come to your mind at first, and your eyes start to feel heavy. Just before you fall asleep, something about doom and destruction crosses your mind, but in your state it's hard to put the two together.
Darkwing
You notice one of the other mercenary caravan guards sneak off into the woods at the edge of the cross roads, shortly after exchanging words with another guard. What could she be doing?
Fiona
You run to the edge of the forest, but see nothing. What is happening to the stars, and the moon itself, is not natural. Since you can't think of an explanation, you run down a list of suspects. The first is elves, who inhabited the area during the wars with the deep elves before sealing the entrance to the surface. The second is humans, which is highly unlikely, same with the other intelligent races. you can think of only a few other races who inhabit the area who might be able to cast such a powerful illusion, if that is what it truly is. Troglodytes and Goblins. there may be other creatures but you are to tired to think of what they may be. You notice a slight rustling above you.
Orlando
In your dreams you see someone from behind. They have long flowing white hair, it lightly touches the back of their armored knees. There is a shining brass scabbard strapped to his waist. He does not turn around, but you hear his mutter something about taking the sword as a gift for someone. your not sure who this someone is, nor can you see anyone else as the rest of the area you are floating in is black as the sky overhead.
As suddenly as the dream came it disappears, replaced with dreams of love and play, of drinking and gambling, and your sleep become heavy.
(please only read yours)

tiny tim
2010-03-10, 07:55 PM
My action(DM only):

I leap from the tree and snap my wings open to catch the air and silently glide towards the caravan guard that ran towards the forest, landing behind her with a small noise.

Math_Mage
2010-03-10, 11:40 PM
(DM only)
Even in her drowsy state, Fiona knew better than to stand empty-handed and flat-footed as something (was it danger?) approached from above. She dove forward, rolled, and turned with bow in hand, looking for the source of the noise.

(i.e. 10-ft move forward, draw bow, look for noise's source:
Spot [roll0]

No arrow yet)

Krennel
2010-03-11, 12:03 AM
Fiona
What appears to be a bird with a human torso descends behind you. You recognize him as one of the other mercenaries hired on to guard the caravan. He's carrying a spear and a oddly made bow.
Darkwing
As you alight behind the guard she draws a bow at you, though she hasn't knocked an arrow yet.

Math_Mage
2010-03-11, 12:58 AM
(DM/Darkwing)
"You approach quietly," Fiona remarked, lowering her bow. "Does the absence of the stars trouble you as well?"

ShotgunPete
2010-03-11, 02:04 PM
Lumble decides that if something shall happen tonight, it won't catch him in bed. He grabs his weapons and walks around camp, trying to find a good defensible hiding spot from which to cast from should the ambush come tonight. Assuming an attack would attempt to silence to guards first, he takes up a hiding spot near them.

Take 10+7 on hide (17) somewhere near guards

tiny tim
2010-03-11, 07:02 PM
DM/Fiona only

I take a non-aggressive posture.

Indeed it does. But what concerns me more is a guard leaving the caravan when there is possible danger on the way.

Math_Mage
2010-03-11, 08:19 PM
DM/Darkwing
Fiona returned sharply, "If there is danger approaching openly, my eyes are not needed, and my bow works just as well from the trees. If there is danger sneaking up on us, I should think advance warning a helpful assistance to the camp. If an illusion on the camp is the cause of the stars' disappearance, some distance from the camp should help me see through it. In any event, I am more useful to the camp treading the dark paths beyond its border than staring stupidly into the firelight, just as you, raptoran, would do more in the skies than standing here talking to me." Returning the bow to her back, Fiona turned and strode swiftly off.

If no break, interruption or reaction occurs, she eventually turns to a spot on the edge of the road about 100 feet from camp, and scans the stars to see if they are still disappearing before disappearing into whatever grows on the other side of camp.

OOC
Yeah, Fiona doesn't have high charisma. Now she's moving at full speed, so takes a -5 penalty to Hide and Move Silently.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]
Hide [roll2]
Move Silently [roll3]

Krennel
2010-03-11, 08:21 PM
Lumble
as you hide among the Bushes near two particularly large guards, men from the giant lands if you went by size alone, you here a faint chuckling behind you.

The gaurds shift as you talk. A new round of gaurds wake up and move into position.

Krennel
2010-03-14, 12:29 AM
The day is largely uneventful. As you cross over the final mountain range you see a small village in the distance. A wall surrounds the village, made of earth packed tight and pilled high. Every few hundred feet a tower made of wooden poles and straw roofed huts, none are occupied. A small fort sits at the center of this compound, it’s boxy and gray, an eye sore by any other name. Small thatched roofs huddle around it, likely the housing and lodging of people traveling through the area.
Your eyes wander to what is outside the town. You see rolling hills of green vines and brown earth, but no indication of anything else. A few Black dots populate the fields, and you assume they are farmers.
Closer to you on the right side of the road is a cemetery overlooking a moderately sized river. A simple bridge made of logs with surfaces worn flat from wear spans the bridge. Another pair of slightly larger black spots stands at the bridge, one on each side. A stopped figure is at the cemetery, lowering a large coffin into a grave by himself.
The ocean is just on the horizon, a sliver of grayish green, barely visible.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 01:18 AM
Fiona

Still restless from a night spent watching stars burn out, Fiona ranged all about the caravan procession as they traveled. There was also something she needed to do, but she didn't want to do it, and the internal tension expressed itself in her agitated motion. Finally, as the village came into sight, she sought Darkwing in the procession. It wasn't hard, as he stood out from the rest even on the ground.

She spoke, awkwardly. "Hey, er, I'm sorry about last night. I was--worried, confused. Maybe you were worried too, I don't know, but my temper got out of hand. No hard feelings?" She stuck out a hand.

Dragero
2010-03-14, 10:04 AM
Orlando walks into the Village. He looks around for any sign of inhabitance. If none are found, he approuches the fort and knocks loudly.

HELLO? ANYBODY HERE? HELLOOOOOOOO? I`VE GOT....ER......GOODS TO TRADE!

If nobody awnsers, he charges at the door the door, trying to knock it down

Spot
[roll0]

Strength
[roll1].

Krennel
2010-03-14, 11:03 AM
Orlando spots the figure burying somebody, as well as the guards at the bridge a good mile from the town when he snaps out of his fantasy of running to it. The town has a large gate of wood, which is down, it is set in stone foundations.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 01:20 PM
Fiona

(OOC this post is separate from the conversation post above)

Fiona was...curious, frankly. What manner of man would be buried alone in a small village such as this, where everyone knew each other by name? She approached the cemetery.

Is the cemetery before or after the bridge? If after, the bridge first.

tiny tim
2010-03-14, 01:32 PM
It's fine. You were under stress, it is understandable.

Despite that remark, though, Darkwing does not shake her hand.

Dragero
2010-03-14, 01:37 PM
Realizing his odd mistake, Orlando begins walking to Fiona towards the graveyard.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 01:59 PM
Fiona

Well, if a handshake won't do... Fiona withdrew the hand and bowed quickly before walking away. We'll see what he makes of that, she thought somewhat mischievously.

Volthawk
2010-03-14, 02:02 PM
Sothix runs up to the others.

"Hey, where are all you guys going?"

He stops, looking at Fiona and Blackwing.

"Erm... Anything up with you two?"

Krennel
2010-03-14, 02:41 PM
(OOC) the cemetery is before the bridge.
As you approach the cemetery, you notice that the frail figure, clad in clerics vestments, is having some trouble getting the coffin in the ground straight.
He has brown hair peppered from worry, and the robes hang loosely on him.
He spots you through the fence as you approach, but makes no move towards you.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 03:13 PM
Fiona

"A disagreement forgotten," Fiona replied as she neared the fence. (OOC is there a gate?)

She almost regretted letting her curiosity lead her here. The man might be offended at strangers encroaching on a private affair. But she was here; might as well make the best of it. She entered the cemetery.

"Might I offer my assistance?" she asked. "A burden shared is a burden halved, in more ways than one."

Krennel
2010-03-14, 03:57 PM
OOC: there is a gate, but it is open. It's high, with iron spikes topping the whole of the fence.

The man smile as you enter, and warmth radiates to you. you almost instantly feel better about your self and life.
"Don't worry about me," He grunts as he makes another attempt at lifting the coffin, which falls sharply on his foot," I can take care of it. Like I told bones, I am perfectly capable of burying the dead myself. thank you for the offer though Miss..." His sentence draws to a close as he turns from his work to look at you. his left hand reaches into his pocket, and he produces a pair of brass goggles. He adjusts them on his head, squinting at you. " I don't believe we've met. "

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 05:58 PM
Fiona

"Fiona, sir. And your toes, at least, say otherwise." She grabbed an edge and lifted, helping to get the coffin off of his foot.

I suppose that's an Aid Another action...

Krennel
2010-03-14, 06:09 PM
You both grunt as you lift the coffin, finnally getting it in the ground.
"You'll need to come with me now that that's done."
the priest says. He doesn't wait for an answer and instead makes his way towards the bridge.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 06:20 PM
Fiona

"Come? All right," Fiona responded, catching up easily. "But first, who are you, sir?"

Krennel
2010-03-14, 06:54 PM
Without breaking stride he answers. "I am father Montgomery. And are there any more of you? Aside from the caravan."

Dragero
2010-03-14, 07:07 PM
Striding up beside the two, Orlando catches the last snipett of the conversation.

We could have an army and we wouldn`t tell you. Where are you taking us? Don`t try anything funny, unless you want to become aqaintances with my two freinds Orlando taps his swords.

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 07:40 PM
Fiona

"You know, I never got your name, either," Fiona says coolly. "After that little display of paranoia, I'm not sure I want it. Let us continue, Father." She keeps walking.

Dragero
2010-03-14, 07:52 PM
If I where you, I wouldn`t be trusting of the stranger digging graves alone. Ohh and by the ways, my name`s Orlando. Orlando says coldly

Math_Mage
2010-03-14, 08:30 PM
Fiona

"And a half-orc threatening a priest with blades, I should trust him?" Fiona retorted. "There is more to caution than aggression. You will survive longer with friendly words and open eyes than a brandished sword or two.

"Ah, but let us rejoin the caravan, Father," she said, turning to the priest. "The others would take it amiss if we left them behind before we even got into town."

Krennel
2010-03-14, 10:17 PM
Father Montgomery stops dead in his tracks, his face creased with worry.
"I have forgotten something!" He declares loudly to no one in particular. "I believe it was either the location of the lost scrolls of Heironeous. Or, I have forgotten to close the gate to the cemetery. either one could have dangerous consequences!" At this he spins on his heel, and seeing the gate to the cemetery open he rushes to close it.

Dragero
2010-03-14, 10:33 PM
Errrr.....Are you still sure this guy is....Sane?

ShotgunPete
2010-03-15, 10:56 AM
Lumble, with his short gnome legs, finally catches up to where Orlando and Fiona are talking to an apparently agitated priest, who brushes by him when he enters the graveyard to make towards the gate. He shoots his two companions a look of confusion...

Volthawk
2010-03-15, 11:12 AM
Sothix runs up to the rest, having stayed behind them, a short distance away.

"Hey, who's the old guy?"

Krennel
2010-03-15, 05:22 PM
Montgomery stands outside the gates, facing them. He beings to chant, and you feel waves of power emanate from him for a second, before the gate mysteriously swings closed. It glows with energy for a second.
"Those damn Frog men, can't keep their slimy flippers off our corpses." He tuns about to review the lot of you. He almost says something, but instead heads for the town.

Dragero
2010-03-15, 05:29 PM
And THAT is why momma says don`t talk to strangers!! Now how the hell are we gonna get out of here!!!!!!

(OOC: We`re locked in now right?)

Spot check for.....well pretty much anything usefull to get out. (esecialy shovels)

[roll0]

Math_Mage
2010-03-15, 05:34 PM
Fiona

"He claims to be Father Montgomery," Fiona replied to Sothix. "I'm not sure what this jabber about the scrolls of Heironeous is...a poor joke, perhaps."

are we out of the cemetery yet?

To Father Montgomery, she asks, "Who are these frog-men, and why are they interested in your village's cemetery?"

Krennel
2010-03-15, 06:17 PM
OOC: the cemetery is tiny. the same graves get reused lot.
He looks at you as he walks away. He yells over his shoulder, "Look, I don't like explaining it, so I'll let the count explain. Just know that the little frog men like reanimating dead bodies to use as cannon fodder. Now hurry the hell up, we're terribly late!"

Math_Mage
2010-03-15, 06:42 PM
Fiona

"Late, are we? I wonder what for?" Fiona mused, following after the priest.

Dragero
2010-03-15, 06:56 PM
Orlando frowns at the lack of shovels, what was he going to do now?

(Clarification needed: Is montgomery on our side of the fence or the opposite side? We`re inside right?)

Math_Mage
2010-03-15, 07:01 PM
OOC
I assumed that, since Father Montgomery started walking towards the bridge, then stopped and went back to the gates to close them, that anyone with him would be outside the cemetery. Plus he wouldn't be expecting us to follow him if he'd just locked us in the cemetery.

Krennel
2010-03-15, 07:01 PM
You are all outside, he did not lock you in.
Inside the cemetery you see some dirt has been disturbed, and a worm is coming out of the ground.

tiny tim
2010-03-15, 07:20 PM
Darkwing:

Darkwing sees the worm and is glad he managed to get through the gate on time.
That must be one of the more disturbing things I have seen in this job. I am not getting paid to deal with worm infestations. I'll let teh others deal with it.

Darkwing then proceeds to climb a short distance up the fence and then leap from it to glide down the hill towards the old man and the others.

Math_Mage
2010-03-15, 07:23 PM
Fiona

Glancing back, Fiona noticed motion (though not much) in the cemetery and paused. "Then again...is he trying to get TO some place, or AWAY from this one?" Gripping her axe, she observed the cemetery one last time before heading to the bridge.

Fiona will spend enough time to take 20 on her Spot check on the cemetery in general, and the patch of disturbed earth in particular. With a modifier of +7, that's a 27 to spot anything happening over the next minute or so.

If nothing happens, she will turn around and go to the bridge. If Father Montgomery is near enough, she will run to catch up to him.

Krennel
2010-03-15, 07:24 PM
OOC: you were outside the gate, so you climbed it? Also Montgomery isn't old. He's About 24

Math_Mage
2010-03-15, 07:26 PM
OOC:

OOC: you were outside the gate, so you climbed it? Also Montgomery isn't old. He's About 24

He climbed the fence from the outside to get height for his glide.

tiny tim
2010-03-15, 07:37 PM
OOC:

Yes. He likes being airborne.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-15, 07:38 PM
Lumble

Everyone seemed to be uneasy around this priest, and there was some disturbance happening inside the grave site, this didn't look good. Lumble took position behind his larger armed party mates, ready to spring into action if the worm coming out of the ground or the priest became overtly hostile.

OOC - readied action
Moving so that the priest and worm are both at the far end of the 110 range of a Sleep spell, casting the spell at whichever should become hostile first. If both go hostile then attempt to get both with the sleep spell's 10ft radius, with priority on the priest if that isn't possible.

If no combat occurs, then follow the party members as they all leave.

Krennel
2010-03-15, 07:47 PM
The worm comes out of the ground, followed by a hand, followed by an arm, olloed by a zombie, who shambles towards the gate on a shattered leg. upon touching the gate it blinks out of existence.

Dragero
2010-03-15, 07:58 PM
Totaly surprised by this "thing" coming out of the ground, Orlando charges at the man and grabs him by the sholders, turning him around.WHAT IN THE BLOODY HELL WAS THAT!!!!!

I am NOT moving, nor letting you move, another step untill you explain what in the world you are doing here! Was that some kind of animated corpes back there?

Math_Mage
2010-03-15, 08:04 PM
Fiona

"That, I presume, was a corpse reanimated by a frog man," Fiona said, catching up. "At first I thought you were trying to keep the frogs out; but it seems like you're keeping the corpses in. Is that right?"

Krennel
2010-03-15, 08:06 PM
Montgomery yells back at you, directly in you face, "I told you. LITTLE. FROG. THINGS. LIKE. MAKING. CORPSES. MOVE!!! It is blasphemy, and as high priest of Wee Jas assigned to the protect of the whole kingdom through this village, it is my holy duty TO MAKE SURE THEY DON'T GET AT THE POPULACE! Now you can either calm down on your own or I can make you calm down!" Father Montgomery emphasizes every other word by poking you in the chest with his finger. before you can get another word in, he turns on his heel and walks briskly towards the guards at the bridge, who close on him as he moves towards them, weapons drawn.
He completly ignores fiona, not even hearing her during his tirade.

tiny tim
2010-03-15, 08:13 PM
"I told you. LITTLE. FROG. THINGS. LIKE. MAKING. CORPSES. MOVE!!!"

Can I sig that?

Dragero
2010-03-15, 08:15 PM
(OOC: Actualy, he just said the frogs like to get their hands on the corpes)

Krennel
2010-03-15, 08:17 PM
OOC: yes you may. and you think I don't know that? also he said flippers or webbed hands. What he meant was reanimation. which is why he said and making them cannon fodder.

Volthawk
2010-03-16, 02:30 AM
"Wow, that's kinda cool." Sothix said, looking at the zombie "What are we gonna do with it?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-16, 04:30 AM
OOC:
"Wow, that's kinda cool." Sothix said, looking at the zombie "What are we gonna do with it?"

It's gone. The gate vanished it.

Fiona

Fiona sighed. "Well, it seems we have our answer," she said. "Once we get inside, we might even turn that answer into a real explanation. Father Montgomery mentioned a count of some sort. This business with the frog-men and the undead must be quite important to bring a nobleman to this small village, to say nothing of the chief karuth of Death's Guardian herself. Of course, I don't doubt that that little squabble attracted the attention of the guards. We'll just have to hope this one's tongue hasn't barred us from entering," and she looked sharply at Orlando.

Krennel
2010-03-16, 08:37 AM
The two guards reach you and don't say anything, simply falling in line with the father, their shields and swords raised in a defensive manner. If you get to close one will attempt to shove you away. One is young and well muscled, while the other is short, older, and slightly pudgy. He weazes from behind the heavy helmet every few minutes.

Math_Mage
2010-03-16, 08:44 AM
Fiona

Breathing a cautious sigh of relief, Fiona follows at a safe distance.

Heh, already said all there is to say at the moment.

Volthawk
2010-03-16, 11:29 AM
"So... Anyone going to enlighten me on what the hell is going on? Seriously, all I do is stop to watch some squirrels, and suddenly it's drama central!"

Math_Mage
2010-03-16, 03:21 PM
Fiona

"By the gods, I--" Fiona closed her eyes and mentally slammed a lid on her temper. "We are following this man to someone who will enlighten us. We'll get our answers then." Jaw set, she stalked after the priest.

Volthawk
2010-03-16, 03:29 PM
"Oh... So you don't know either? Got it."

Sothix runs up to Father Mortimer.

"Hey, erm... where are we going?"

Krennel
2010-03-16, 06:39 PM
Montgomery doesn't answer, doesn't so much as turn around. It takes the better part of the day, but you finally approach the town. You reach the gate to the town proper. The strong wood, light and hard, looks as strong as steel. A guard looks over the gate from his watch tower. He signals to somebody behind the wall, and the gate grinds open. Behind stand six guards, all are armed, weapons drawn. They surround you and escort you to the keep.
so guys, my mom is going into isolation as she gets treated with irradiated iodine for some cancers she has developed. I won't stop posting, but the only other computer is my dads, and he is frequently on, so i won't post as much, a few times a day at most. this will continue until th end of this month at the latest.

Math_Mage
2010-03-16, 08:56 PM
OOC
I'm very sorry to hear of your mother's illness. My grandmothers both underwent treatment for similar problems recently, and they're doing well. I hope the same will be true for your mother. Best wishes.

Volthawk
2010-03-17, 02:15 AM
"This is getting weird." Sothix says, walking to one of the guards "Hey, what's going on?"

Krennel
2010-03-17, 07:29 PM
"We are to take you to the count." He announces in no uncertain terms.
As you walk through the town towards the keep, you notice a large amount of villagers with weapons. They are speaking with different members of the trade caravan you came with. the whole town is built in a very military fashion, with only one or two decorated building, probably taverns.
You notice something odd about the keep. It has a giant tower in the very center, which seems to serve no purpose what so ever.
The room you enter is lightly furnished. A wooden desk sits near an arrow slit, a strung out looking man stand behind the desk. It’s littered in books with colorful covers.
"I am Mayor Randolf, what is your business in my town!”, He is a small man, with soft hands a light brown hair, he closely resembles The father, who has followed you the whole way.

Math_Mage
2010-03-17, 08:32 PM
OOC
Actually, that's a darn good question. We're guarding a caravan of some sort, no?

Fiona

"Guarding a caravan. Merchants don't like being robbed on the road," Fiona replied, somewhat brusquely. "Of course, they may not find much to do here. The townsfolk look more ready for battle than bargaining, and we saw the business with the undead at the graveyard earlier. What's going on?"

Krennel
2010-03-17, 09:17 PM
OOC Yeah, but adventurers are often hired on to such duties, and usually allowed to wander nearby until the fighting starts. they made it fine, and about 20 min ahead of you.

Volthawk
2010-03-18, 02:29 AM
"Hello Mayor." Sothix says, walking up to him.

"I'm Sothix. How are you?"

Krennel
2010-03-18, 03:31 AM
"The caravan you just escorted in is full of supplies. I fear we will need them in the days to come. Now I have already seen what happened by the cemetery. As for the undead, recently we have been hving problems with them among other things. They are brought back by our most recent adversary, on top of the goblins, Kobolds, Lycans, and Trogs. Their same is something like kao-toad." Father Montgomery leaves the room at this point, a look of boredom in his eyes. You get the feeling he has heard this many times before. The door slams shut behind him.
" And I am in good health, thank you. But back to the topic at hand. with the stars going out last night, I have placed the town under marshal law, all the people are at their usual posts, and so on and so forth. This also means, you are now under my command as honorary soldiers. Any failure to follow a direct order will be answered with swift and immediate death, yadda yadda yadda." The Mayor rolls his left hand boredly in the air.

Math_Mage
2010-03-18, 04:28 AM
Fiona

"I...see," Fiona said slowly. "And no one has previously objected to this policy of systematically conscripting travelers into your 'honorary' army? I would like to know more before deciding whether to follow suit. For example, what is the significance of the disappearing stars?" She stares at the mayor with flinty eyes.

Knowledge(Nature) to see if Fiona recognizes anything from the name "Kao-toad": [roll0]
EDIT: I guess she thinks it's some kind of cow-toad, then. *sigh*

Dragero
2010-03-18, 09:55 AM
Well I'd definatly like to avoid death, however I can't stop thinking about those "Little Frog Things" that Father Montgomery talked about. I also am wondering if he lead us here just so we could be part of your private army......do you have any knowledge of either of these two things?

Volthawk
2010-03-18, 10:57 AM
"Right....Well, what's in it for us?"

Roll Diplomacy

[roll0]

ShotgunPete
2010-03-18, 01:41 PM
Lumble

Lumble didn't like were this was going. Conscripted into a podunk town's milita by a mayor that casually threw around death threats? Taking advantage of the distraction provided by Orlando and Fiona, he stood behind them whispering the words and weaving the hand motions to charm the mayor, but interrupted himself when the Kobold seemed to be getting somewhere with the town's leader...

ooc
Now that Father Montgomery has left the room, are we in here by ourselves with the mayor, or are the guards that brought us still here? Would it be feasible to cast a charm spell quietly behind people talking to a target without him noticing? If so, I can try that option if diplomacy fails, though Sothix seems to be on it with the roll

tiny tim
2010-03-18, 06:49 PM
Darkwing walks to the nearest wall when the mayor tells them they have been conscripted. He leans against the wall with a grim smile on his face.

Krennel
2010-03-18, 08:03 PM
The count looks over each of you and addresses you in turn.
"First of all, we defend the entire northern empire. While i normally do not take such drastic measures, With the stars going out prophecy has been signaled. some generic doom a gloom type of prophecy, the way to stop it lies in the library. A few hundred years ago, we had a powerful patron, a wizard by the name of Damasclese. Go find him, or what ever is left. My brother, the Father, knows more. And no, he did not take you here to be conscripted, He brought you here to make me answer whatever questions you may have.
As for what is in it for you, any items you find, as well as a lantern, a few pints of oil and fifty feet of hemp rope. With exceptions of items needed by the town of course. Now is there anything my brother promised I would answer, he brought you here for a reason. He looks you all over.
OOC: there are no other guards int the rooms. and the check was made, by more than ten, so extra stuff beyond what he would have normally given.

tiny tim
2010-03-18, 09:43 PM
Darkwing:

I suppose this library is going to be concealed past a series of underground catacombs and a medley of devious devices, right?

Krennel
2010-03-18, 10:48 PM
" Not really. He never found the need for traps, though there are guardians. And from what I understand, the library isn't one single thing, or at least isn't in one single place."

Math_Mage
2010-03-18, 11:29 PM
Fiona

"He scattered the library? Where are we to go, then?" Fiona inquired. "And what are we looking for?"

Krennel
2010-03-18, 11:39 PM
" My lord you sound like the peasantry; and here I thought being a mayor would be easier than being a count at least! I have already told you, my brother will explain about the library, I am a pittance compaired to his knowledge."

Math_Mage
2010-03-19, 12:29 AM
Fiona

Fiona sighs. "Well, thank you for your time, then," she says, turning towards the door Father Montgomery walked through. "Personally, I would be happy to investigate the library if doing so can halt the spreading darkness and end this abnormal state of affairs. But I would learn more of this library before venturing to enter it--indeed, we will need to learn its location in order to enter in the first place--and for that I apparently must speak to your brother. Good day, Mayor." With that abrupt farewell, Fiona strode from the chamber.

"How odd it is," she muttered to herself, that the priest holds all the knowledge, and yet left us with his brother, who knows nothing."

Dragero
2010-03-19, 06:58 PM
Wait....So the stars fading out wasn`t just a trick of the eye? What in the, or perhaps out of the, world could have caused that!

At this Orlando leaves the room, eager to discover what could have done this.

Krennel
2010-03-21, 07:29 PM
You are escorted through the keep. You take some winding turns and back track more than once. Finally you reach a large wooden door, double barred. The guards roughly shove you through the door as it opens, as if by magic.
You find yourselves in a large chapel, a man in red and black finery stand near an alter, twenty feet away. A cross between a Lizard and a man is mopping the center aisle, ten feet away. He looks at you with distrust in his eyes.
It is unclear if Father Montgomery knows you've entered, as he makes no move to speak to you. He is standing near the alter, playing with something ontop of it. He doesn't even look your way.

Dragero
2010-03-21, 07:34 PM
HEY MONTGOMERY!! Orlando shouts across the hall. Your brother told us you can tell us about some library?

Krennel
2010-03-21, 09:46 PM
He looks up at orlando, slightly annoyed. "Context please. But ofcourse your speaking of the ancient library that supposedly houses the salvation of... In the hill to the east you'll find a cave, in there is the entrance."

Math_Mage
2010-03-21, 09:47 PM
Fiona

"For escorts, they certainly are rude--well, we're not the most polite bunch either," Fiona remarks, hearing Orlando shout. She made her way through the pews to a side aisle, giving the lizard-man room to mop the floor--at least, she told herself that was why she avoided him. Approaching the priest, she asked softly, "Is this temple dedicated to Wee Jas, Father?" oops, ninja'd.

"The salvation of Damasclese, father?" Fiona asked. "Or something else, perhaps?" oops, ninja'd from below.

Krennel
2010-03-21, 09:53 PM
Montgomery chuckles, and points towards the image of a sun, a phoenix sits in the middle, red on gold. "Secrets no child! We would get no visitors if it was. People do not feel safe with secrets and death around them. This temple is to The sun, in honor of the Elves I suppose. I was not around when this place was built. Oh and i almost forgot, the lock on the door is a puzzle or riddle of some sort, may have already been opened though."

Math_Mage
2010-03-21, 10:07 PM
OOCI think we may have posted past each other there, haha. I'll play along with this line, though.

Fiona

"The elves!" Fiona exclaimed. To the sun? But why?"

"Also, you spoke of salvation before. Whose salvation? Damasclese, the founder of the library? Or someone, something else, perhaps?"

Krennel
2010-03-21, 11:52 PM
"Damascles wasn't a god. And the salvation of this town atleast, perhaps the empire. We are the shield to the... Blah blah bla. Also it is to the god of the elves, the sun, not the elves themselves." you notice he gets a glazed look in his eyes when he gets bored.

Math_Mage
2010-03-21, 11:58 PM
OOC: What time of day is it?

Fiona

"Your brother mentioned guardians in the library. He also told us the library wasn't one single thing, or one single place. Do you know what he meant by that?"

Krennel
2010-03-22, 12:03 AM
It is late afternoon the sun is barely shining in through the western windows.
"Damascles HD many powerful artifacts in his library. So he installed gaurdians to protect them, though few and far between I imagine. What my brother meant was that the library is actually a series of libraries, each existing seperate lf the others, but usually connected in some way. They all contain knowledge from damascles, or books he collected, so we call all of them collectivly.

Math_Mage
2010-03-22, 12:23 AM
Fiona

"And what in this library, or series of libraries, might be the salvation we seek?" Fiona asked. After all, they couldn't find anything if they didn't know what they were trying to find.

Krennel
2010-03-22, 02:21 PM
Montgomery seems to get excited as you ask the question."Finally someone with a good brain in their skull! Well it is definatly in the closest library, an according to jessicas searchings among her people, it is a powerful weapon. I believe it may even have been a part of damascles' staff. Though if he still lives then he has abandoned the thing for reasons I can't understand."

Dragero
2010-03-22, 02:25 PM
Maybe this item is the thing causing the stars to dim? By the way, do you have any clue what would happen if we didn't stop this? Just wondering.....

Volthawk
2010-03-22, 02:26 PM
"So, do you know where it is, or are you just going to point us in the right direction?"

tiny tim
2010-03-22, 05:50 PM
Darkwing just sits in a pew and let's the other's do the talking, drawing in all of the information.

Math_Mage
2010-03-22, 07:14 PM
Fiona

"Jessica?" Fiona asked. "Who is she, and what connection do her people have to this...artifact?"

Krennel
2010-03-22, 07:19 PM
"Hm? Oh For secrets sake where are my manners? Jessica!" He calls out to the troglodyte who is cleaning the floor. she carries the mop over to the preacher and waits expectantly. As he silently implores her, she turns to you, and with suprising ease says, "Hello."

Math_Mage
2010-03-22, 07:59 PM
Fiona

"Hello, Jessica," Fiona replied somewhat uneasily. It wasn't that she disliked lizardmen, but she felt uncomfortable going from a youth spent in an all-human village to the racial menagerie she had consorted with in the last few days. "Father Montgomery tells me you did research among your people to learn about this, uh, weapon in the library. Did your people have a, a special connection to Damasclese or the libraries?"

Dragero
2010-03-22, 08:08 PM
So are you two.....Married? If so, it`s fine with me, I`ve got nothing against cross speicial relationships. As you can see, I`m the product of one. Orlando grins.

Volthawk
2010-03-23, 02:43 AM
"Hello...Jessica? Pleased to meet you"

Krennel
2010-03-23, 05:37 PM
Jessica looks at Fiona, sensing her discomfort, it's something she's used to at this point. "There used to be two tribes of my people. We warred constantly, killing many of eachother. The old one saw our skill, and gave each tribe a special purpose. My tribe did it out of competetive spirit, while they worked for greed of knowledge. When they dissapeared, we lost our competetiveness, and eventually abandoned our duties. however some still look after the area of the library, so we know some of what goes on."
The father responds almost before Orlando finishes, "We are not, though if she had her way we would." He grins sheepishly at this admission.

Math_Mage
2010-03-24, 12:36 AM
Fiona

"Well, thank you for what you have done," Fiona replied. Maybe another time she'll even ask who the old ones are. Not now, though. She looked at the priest. "Father, I should return to the caravan and rest. Tomorrow will likely be a long day. Thank you for sharing your secrets--I may return the favor when I have more to give. Good night to you both." Not waiting for any of the others--And why should I? I'm a loner, not a leader, she thought to herself--Fiona took her leave. She paused at the door, casting a look back at the phoenix, imagining elves thronged about it in worship. After a long moment of silence, she turned and left.

OOC
This is assuming that (a) nobody stops her from leaving; (b) the caravan let everyone know where they would set up; and (c) we're still supposed to be guarding the caravan, and not sleeping in a camp for conscripted soldiers, or at an inn, or something.

ShotgunPete
2010-03-24, 03:53 PM
Lumble steps forward to the Father after Fiona walks off alone, What's the plan here Father, were are we sleepin'? I don't suppose a good bed would be too much to ask for if we're heading off into the wilderness tomorrow to save everyone? Also, I'd say most of us came prepared for guard duty, not adventuring. Does the militia stores here have any extra equipment we can make use of, or possibly mounts or pack animals to spare? Finally, I wouldn't have much time to use it anyway but do you have any sort of stocked alchemical lab on the premises?

OOC + skill checks
Afterward I'll head off to were ever the lodging will be, cast Prestidigitation on myself for a mage shower, and hit the bed. If they had a lab I'd whip up some extra sun-rods or alchemists fires in the downtime before we head out but I'm not sure if I have the time, and I definitely don't have the coin unless they'd pay for reagents.

Diplomacy check if needed above to finagle equipment out of the priest or mayor - [roll0] + any modifiers for us being on a crucial mission for him

Dragero
2010-03-27, 10:33 AM
A couple of mounts would sure be helpfull, Orlando says, looking at his feet All this walking has blistered my feet beyond repair!

Diplomacy:

[roll0]

Krennel
2010-03-27, 01:46 PM
Ather Montgomery hakes his head at the notion.
"mounts are useless beyond the fields, the ground of the hills is uneven, and every hungry creature will chase you down. Also it's little more than a days walk, so mounts really aren't worth the trouble. However, I will put in a good words for you with the proprieter of the Granny Trampler. Nallimlalth is a dear friend of mine, and will do his best to give you good rooms. Merely tell him I sent you, and that I will take care of the bill."

Volthawk
2010-03-27, 02:03 PM
"OK, than you very much."

In his head, Sothix decided what he was going to do. He would help them, as success here would benefit his people, and aid their cause.

He walks over to Jessica.

"Hey, can you tell me more about your people, and the library?"

Math_Mage
2010-03-27, 02:15 PM
Fiona

After leaving the church, Fiona decided to walk the village a while. It was good practice, slipping around villagers without attracting attention, observing in detail and overhearing conversations. The physical practice freed her mind for thinking. It was meditation, of sorts. And maybe she could learn more about this town, and its goings-on.

Gather information check [roll0] to determine the city's general news.
Time spent: [roll1] hours.

EDIT: *sigh* so much for that. I was going to RP Fiona returning to the caravan and falling asleep, but if anything happens between now and then, I don't want to muck up the DM's plans.

Krennel
2010-03-27, 03:13 PM
Fiona, all you gather is that the town is on alert, not unusual, and that the canaries are being organized.
"im sorry, but that is all I know. The old one requested my peoples aid many generations ago, why has not been forgoten is little more than myth."

Volthawk
2010-03-27, 03:17 PM
"Oh, thanks. What do you do here now, then?"

Despite his carefree, relaxed exterior, Sothix had been on edge the whole time. Spending so much time away from his kind was hard, but even though she was no kobold, being around someone similar to him and his kind relaxed him.

Krennel
2010-03-27, 04:44 PM
Reacting oddly to the question she gives sothix a strange look.
" I do what is asked of me until the father releases me from his debt. Until that time I am to remain here, repaying for my life."

Volthawk
2010-03-27, 04:53 PM
"For your life?"

Krennel
2010-03-28, 08:46 PM
"Your companions seem to have left, you should follow them."
You find The Granny Trampler. It has a shabby appearance, The wood seems poorly thrown together. You notice small blocks glowing with magic power at points around its base, probably traps for invaders.
Inside, you see a tall Dark Elf behind the bar, he has dyed his shoulder length hair blue, and has a small white goatee. He greets you with a smile, and when you tell him about The Father, he sets you up in some relatively nice rooms.
He introduces himself as Nallimlalth, or Nal for short.
Going to do anything before you sleep?

ShotgunPete
2010-03-28, 08:55 PM
I'm not, Lumble is gonna snooze.

Math_Mage
2010-03-28, 09:27 PM
OOCWait, so drow are less than rare, but surface elves are completely absent? Dis be one weird place.

Fiona

Fiona turns down the room. There is little purpose in accepting something she doesn't intend to use. Instead, finding the highest window/exit she can, she clambers up onto the roof. She is used to resting on wood. Lying back, she watches the stars burn brightly in the dark of night, like candles that would soon flame out. Eventually, she is overtaken by sleep.

Climb check, if necessary: [roll0]
EDIT: Well, if it's needed, I don't think it provides.

Dragero
2010-03-29, 06:39 AM
Orlando takes one last look out the window, then falls asleep.

Krennel
2010-03-30, 12:44 AM
You awake next morning as the barkeep and a few guards escort you out of the town. He keeps his eyes on you from a distance the whole time, a demonice sword, wreathed in flame no less, is at his hip. As you reach the gate the children of the village see you off, wishing you luck. There are more than you would have expected.
You walk around the town and into the fields, lush and vibrant, they *reach towards the nurturing sun, each stalk of grain is healthy and whole. An old man I tilling the field ahead of you.he mumbles to himself as he works. [I need to get me some more hoes"

Math_Mage
2010-03-30, 01:36 AM
Fiona

"With these high clerics and well-equipped guards about, it seems odd that they'd send us to do anything important," Fiona commented cynically. "Could they not spare anyone from defense of the wall, which is not exactly besieged?"

She studied the old man in silence as they approached, more out of habit than especial caution. She's certainly not about to engage him; if they made conversation with every passerby, they wouldn't reach their objective until next week.

Volthawk
2010-03-30, 10:16 AM
".....Crap!"

Math_Mage
2010-03-30, 01:39 PM
Fiona

"Did you, er, forget something?"

Volthawk
2010-03-30, 02:01 PM
"Well, I lost my pouch! It must have been in the last town, but now it's missing..."

Sothix walks up to one of the barkeep.

"Hey, does your town have some component pouches? I need one to do my magic, and if I can't do my magic, I can't help you, see?"

Krennel
2010-03-31, 11:08 PM
The farmer fixes you with an odd stare. "First, i ain't no barkeep, second, yeah I've got a spell pouch or two lying around, what materials do you need?And third, perhaps lass it is because they are magically bound to not leave the city unless their spell of imprisonment has been specifically changed to allow them to do so, for a purpose such as burying the dead. Finally, yes, I am imprisoned as well. General Augustus Abney at your service. Or old man Abney as my boys call me. But I won't keep you from your work."
He tosses his spell pouch to the ground, and returns to his work.

Math_Mage
2010-03-31, 11:41 PM
Fiona

"Magically bound? And who is doing the binding?" Fiona queried. "I would surmise that the mayor is responsible, but he exhibited no magical prowess in our presence...and I will consume my spare bowstring if it was Father Montgomery." She glanced at Sothix, clearly the most conversant in magic of anyone present. "You don't suppose we, too...?"

Volthawk
2010-04-01, 03:23 AM
"Hmm....."

Sothix pixks up the pouch, and thinks.

"...carry the four..."

Knowledge (arcana) check
[roll0]

Dragero
2010-04-01, 06:49 AM
Huhhh! I don`t see any bounds on him....Whats that crazy old man talking about?

Krennel
2010-04-01, 09:49 AM
Sothix
You can't seem to think of anything that would have the effect of binding somebody to a certain spot. It must be really powerful though.

The old man returns to his work, completely ignoring you.

Krennel
2010-04-01, 09:45 PM
The old man looks back up, his eyes glazed over. his voice is now far to deep to be hi own. "Continue on your way."
He colapses to the ground for a second, slowly rising to his feet.

Math_Mage
2010-04-01, 09:56 PM
Fiona

"I don't suppose we're going to find out who that was..." Fiona sighed and turned away. "Never mind. There's still that library to investigate." One problem at a time.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-01, 09:59 PM
Lumble asks Fiona, quietly: "Ever feel like you on your way to a set-up? I mean, this whole town experience has been surreal and nothing quite adds up, even if we haven't detected anything overtly malicious. But, if the whole town is bound into magical servitude with drow and well-armed mercenaries about, do you suppose we're working for the right team here?"

Math_Mage
2010-04-01, 11:02 PM
Fiona

Worried about prying ears, Fiona didn't reply until they were well away from anybody else. "We don't know enough to change sides at this point," she finally said. "It does seem peculiar. Rot it! I didn't think to inquire about Jessica's 'old one', the being that manipulated her tribes. That's the only clue we might have as to who might be responsible. That and all the rumors about Damasclese...a powerful wizard would certainly be capable of this. But for all we know, he's dead." She walked in silence for a few moments.

"For now, we can only nurse our suspicions and gather more information--and apart from trying to sneak back into town, the library looks like our best bet, as far as that goes. We may be in over our heads, and whatever force is at work here, we can't hope to simply confront it. Maybe we'll be able to subvert it, once we know what buttons to push." She shook her head, kept walking.

Krennel
2010-04-02, 12:31 AM
you walk over rolling hills from morning till dusk. As the sun sets behind you, you hear a ruckus ahead of you. over the next rise you see a small ramshackle town, and hear a massive commotion punctuated by open fighting in the streets. The wind picks up slightly, and there is almost enough light to see by.
Make spot and listen checks if you want.

Math_Mage
2010-04-02, 12:49 AM
Fiona

"What a pleasant place we have discovered," Fiona remarks dryly, reaching for her bow.

Spot [roll0]
Listen [roll1]

ShotgunPete
2010-04-02, 09:38 AM
Lumble hears the commotion and cracks his knuckles while peering over the hill line into the chaos. "Indeed, it would be nice to come upon a hamlet not in a state of war."

OOC - How far away is the town? Close enough to run to a hiding place like behind a building in a round?

Rolls Spot - [roll0]
Listen - [roll1]
Hide - [roll2]

Krennel
2010-04-02, 10:08 AM
Sorry, but no. Also you both will be in the surprise round so far, and Lumble doesn't have concealment, because the attackers already spotted you.

Dragero
2010-04-02, 10:39 AM
Orlando draws his blades This`ll be fun He smirks.

How far (In feet or metres) are they??

Krennel
2010-04-02, 01:09 PM
Since you seem to be forgoing a spot and listen check, that means you WILL NOT be taking part in the surprise round.
The "village" is mostly made of taverns from what you can see, though it's about half a mile away.

Dragero
2010-04-02, 01:43 PM
:O

Oops :P

(I don't realy have any great ranged weapons anyways....)

Math_Mage
2010-04-02, 01:58 PM
Fiona

"What's this?" Fiona asked the silent watchers, scorn evident in her voice. "Thugs who couldn't handle the chaos in town, so you ambush approaching parties? That is unequivocally a losing proposition." Even as she spoke, her hands blurred briefly, and an arrow appeared on her bowstring.

Talking and drawing arrows are both free actions, I'm just RPing. Don't mind me. :smallbiggrin:

Krennel
2010-04-02, 02:06 PM
I'm not, roll init though.
Goblins: g1: 6 g2:4 g3:15 G4: 15(1st)
You too Lumble

Math_Mage
2010-04-02, 02:14 PM
Fiona

Initiative: [roll0]

Map, or description?

Krennel
2010-04-02, 02:20 PM
Map
I'm not sure how to get a map on here, so I'll describe it. Basically you guys are all in your marching order on a small plain, with trampled grass. It is getting dark, and it's slightly windy, so -1 with ranged weapons. The goblins are all within ten feet, so that they can throw their weapons, javelins, at you. The town is half a mile distant, but you get the feeling it's not a place humans usually go.

Dragero
2010-04-02, 02:58 PM
to make a map, use the code [.table] [/table] (minus the .) Use | (The button under backspace) to make a new colum

{table] _|A|B|C|D|E|F|G
1|
2|
3|
4|
5|
6|
7|[/table]

Could work

ShotgunPete
2010-04-02, 03:18 PM
Initiative - [roll0]

edit: Is this initiative for round 1 and Fiona and I still get our standard action? Or is this initiative for everyone in the surprise round?

edit: Surprise Round action if applicable - Cast Sleep at the 20ft square that would affect the most goblins (Will save DC 17 to resist, 3/4 1st level spells left)

Krennel
2010-04-02, 09:08 PM
How do I make new rows?
For now you guys are at the G column starting at 3.
The first goblin is at D1, the second at D2, third at G5, and fourth at E7.
Goblin three and four throw their javelins.
Lumble, as you turn at the surprise of the ambush, you feel something stick in your back. It goes in ways, causing three damage.
Fiona, you hear Lumble cry in pain, and as you turn a second javelin passes by your face, just missing your nose.

Math_Mage
2010-04-02, 10:04 PM
How do I make new rows?
For now you guys are at the G column starting at 3.
The first goblin is at D1, the second at D2, third at G5, and fourth at E7.
Goblin three and four throw their javelins.
Lumble, as you turn at the surprise of the ambush, you feel something stick in your back. It goes in ways, causing three damage.
Fiona, you hear Lumble cry in pain, and as you turn a second javelin passes by your face, just missing your nose.

OOC
Just press enter for new rows. Fiddle around in Preview Post till you get the hang of it. How can we be lined up in the G column starting at 3, if there's a goblin in G5? Is that one actually at E5?

As for the marching order, I'm probably in front so I can do the scout thing, and Lumble's probably right behind me since we were talking. Orlando's probably in back in case of an ambush, so a possible order is --Fiona, Lumble, Sothix, Darkwing, Orlando--. Since going north-to-south would place me 15 feet from the nearest javelin-thrower, which would contradict your earlier posts, let's go south-to-north. So Fiona's in G7, Lumble in G6, Sothix in G5, Darkwing in G4, Orlando in G3. It's likely we'd string ourselves out a little more, but never mind. I'll post my actions based on that.

Fiona

Fiona stepped smoothly out of line, following the javelin even as she took aim at its owner. "So much for negotiations," she said, letting the arrow fly.

5-ft step southeast (to H8), fire at the goblin in E7. Point Blank Shot +1, wind -1.

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Crit check if nat 20: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]

AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13

EDIT: Well, that's a good way to start combat. :smallamused:

Krennel
2010-04-02, 11:02 PM
The goblin who had attempted to bull rush you (shut up >.>) Explodes as your arrow hits.
A spear flies towards Sothix, and it strikes him In the leg, tearing his scales as he tries to leap out of the way, causing two damage.
Now Lumble, one more goblin, then the first round.

Math_Mage
2010-04-03, 12:23 AM
OOC
Whatever happened to Tiny Tim?

Krennel
2010-04-03, 12:54 AM
Not sure. If he doesn't post by monday, he's out though.

Dragero
2010-04-03, 09:05 AM
He also stopped posting in the monster arena threads.....

Also, It exploded!?!? Why aren`t these fools running!!!

ShotgunPete
2010-04-03, 09:19 AM
Lumble pulls the javelin from his side and steps away from the direction it came in. Locating two attackers standing together, he points at them and whispers, "Good night".

5-ft step east to H6, cast Sleep at goblins in D1 and D2, Will DC 17. 3/4 1st level spells.

Math_Mage
2010-04-03, 03:48 PM
OOC
Oh, yes, I feel silly from my earlier post about Sothix and the arcane, forgetting that Lumble is a beguiler. My bad. :smallbiggrin:

Krennel
2010-04-03, 06:34 PM
Both goblins fall asleep, and the remaining one flees for town.

Dragero
2010-04-03, 07:30 PM
Orlando smiles at his companionsNice work on those goblins, mind If I finish them off? Might I remind you they wouldn`t have been so kind to us in this situation.

He then turns to fiona, What did you put on your arrows this morning?!!

Math_Mage
2010-04-03, 08:55 PM
Fiona

Fiona gave chase and loosed another arrow at the fleeing goblin. "Do what you like," she called back over her shoulder.

It can only have had time to move 30 feet during the surprise round, since you only get a standard action. If I may, I'd like to shoot it. Move 30 ft towards it, attack. Skirmish activated, +1 Point Blank Shot, -1 wind.

Crit check: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]
Check to see if the arrow breaks if it misses: [roll4] (break on 1)

EDIT: Yeah, I think that misses. At least I can retrieve the arrow later.

Oh, uh, if that was a goblin with higher initiative than me, I guess it's too far away to shoot at anyway, so skip this if that's the case.

Dragero
2010-04-03, 09:08 PM
[roll0]

Orlando approuches the two sleeping goblins and places his blades against both of their necks. Night, night, He whispers, before thrusting his blades into both their necks, timing it so both goblins die within miliseconds of eachother.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-03, 09:10 PM
Lumble draws his rapier and checks his wound. He kicks the gobliin that he thinks threw the spear and runs off after Fiona, clutching his wound with his off-hand.

Krennel
2010-04-04, 12:25 AM
You watch as the goblins you chased disappear as they pass a tree. The arrow thunks harmlessly into the side of it.
500xp for the encounter.
The wind picks up slightly, and you feel colder somehow, you also hear the beat of wings.

Math_Mage
2010-04-04, 01:36 AM
Fiona

Fiona scans the sky as she goes to retrieve her arrow. Then she looks around at ground level too, just to be sure.

Krennel
2010-04-04, 12:59 PM
You retrieve your arrows, but don't see anything in the sky as the sun finally sets, due to the lack of stars.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-04, 01:21 PM
As Fiona retrieves her arrows, Lumble draws his dagger from the sheath at his back and cuts some cloth off of the rags one of the goblins was wearing, and uses it to bind his wound.

What now, fellows? Take cover in the trees before another patrol finds us, or head to the town?"

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 01:25 PM
"Erm, I'll say hide and work our way fowards."

ShotgunPete
2010-04-04, 02:58 PM
"Works for me, but stay on your guard, the one that got away could be going for reinforcements." Lumble breaks for the treeline and moves in about 20 feet, and then starts stealthily creeping towards the town, on guard for the surviving goblin.

rolls
Move Silently - [roll0] (or take 10+3 if able)
Hide - [roll1] (or take 10+7 of able)
Spot - [roll2]
Listen - [roll3]

Krennel
2010-04-04, 03:12 PM
Lumble
As you pass the tree, something small and wirey leaps out of a well concealed hole in the base of the tree an grabs you back, with another smacking you in the face. As he swing the other pulls your hair, causing you to fall back and the morning star to miss you by inches as you stumble.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-04, 03:15 PM
Initiative - [roll0]

edit: Driving my little brother back to college from spring break at the house, may not be able to post until late, but when it gets to my turn if the two assailant are still next to each other then I'll 5ft step away and color spray them both, Will DC 18, 2/4 1st level spells left

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 03:23 PM
"OK, Lumble. See ya there."

Hide:[roll0]
Move Silently: [roll1]
Spot:[roll2]

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 03:24 PM
Redoing Listen (I made a mistake)

Listen:[roll0]

Krennel
2010-04-04, 03:42 PM
You spot the goblins jumping on Lumble.
Lumble cannot move, due to being grappled by one of the goblins.
Both goblins will go after Lumble however.

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 03:57 PM
How far am I from them?

Krennel
2010-04-04, 04:06 PM
within about 40 feet

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 04:14 PM
Are they both in his square, or between me and him? Basically, if I use a 60ft breath weapon, would any of the 2 be targetable in a way that wouldn't hit Lumble?

Krennel
2010-04-04, 04:24 PM
no, one is grappling him, so you would hit both of them.

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 04:30 PM
What about the other one?

Math_Mage
2010-04-04, 04:50 PM
Fiona

"Since when did goblins possess rudimentary intelligence?" Fiona wondered to herself, firing again.

Presumably I also spot the scuffle, since I had a higher spot check. If I can move to within 30 feet of the goblins in a single move action, I do so. Then I attack the goblin not grappling. Skirmish activated, PBS +1, wind -1.

Crit check: [roll2]
Crit damage: [roll3]

AC 16, Touch 13, Flat-footed 13

EDIT: Well, that's a nat 1. How are we handling that?

Math_Mage
2010-04-04, 04:51 PM
Arrow broken on 1: [roll0]

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 04:58 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Krennel
2010-04-04, 05:46 PM
It is also -4 for firing into melee.
As Fiona launches her arrow towards the group the bowstring snaps into her arm, causing a painful bruise, and the arrow flies wide.
Fiona will not be able to use the bow for another round, as her arm is to stiff to aim.
The goblin on Lumble's back begins to suffocate him, while the other punches him in the face, causing a trickle of blood from his nose.
Lumble takes 2 nonlethal damage, and can now try and escape artist check, as well as it is his turn at the top of the round, now it is sothix's turn.

Volthawk
2010-04-04, 06:05 PM
"Pothoc terunt!" Sothix whispers as he walks over to the goblins, before using a spell.

Move action: Move 30' towards the goblins and lumble.

Standard Action: Cast colour spray.

Krennel
2010-04-04, 06:39 PM
The goblin who punched Lumble falls unconscious, though the one on his back is unaffected by the colors spraying from your hand. The fallen goblin has a seizure.
Lumble Make a will save. dc14

Math_Mage
2010-04-04, 06:45 PM
Oh, right, initiative: [roll0]

Dragero
2010-04-04, 08:02 PM
[roll0]

Yay more fresh meat!

Krennel
2010-04-04, 08:11 PM
Drager, your up then.
You are about 50 feet from the fight, standing over the two goblin corpses.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-04, 09:41 PM
Both goblins will go after Lumble however.

Should I take that to mean I act before the goblins, or that they are both attacking me? Gotta look up grappling options real quick...

oops I though I refreshed the page and didn't see the last 5 or 6 posts before I posted that

ShotgunPete
2010-04-04, 09:44 PM
Will Save - [roll0]

ooc edit: guess I'm down, but it's better than dead :smallwink:

Krennel
2010-04-05, 07:54 PM
Lumble falls to the ground as well, having spasms similar to the goblin. the goblin on top of him realizes his fortune and grabs his coin purse a sun rod, running off laughing.

Dragero
2010-04-05, 08:07 PM
I run towards the goblin.

(Using the "Run" action. 4x normal speed)

Krennel
2010-04-05, 08:13 PM
You catch him easily, as he turns to raspberry your party he sees you right behind him.

Math_Mage
2010-04-05, 11:15 PM
Fiona

Grimacing, Fiona transferred the bow to her good hand. Her gaze fell on the goblin, now unconscious, that had tried to kill Lumble. Expression hard, she stalked over to it.

Move until I'm adjacent to the unconscious goblin, start a coup de grace, using the bow as an improvised club. I'll complete the action with another standard action next round and start moving towards the rest of the action.

Damage: [roll0]

Krennel
2010-04-05, 11:20 PM
You hit the goblin, but your bow bounces off its neck.

Dragero
2010-04-06, 06:50 AM
Orlando draws his blades and gives the goblin a chop chop.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Volthawk
2010-04-06, 09:51 AM
Sothix has spent his time watching the other goblin, working out in his head the distances involved.

"Now, you burn!"

Spend 1 1st level spell slot to use Draconic Breath

-Breath Weapon: 2d6 fire, DC 14 half.

[roll0]

Krennel
2010-04-06, 09:39 PM
A line of fire bursts from sothix's mouth, lighting the goblin on fire. As the goblin screams with a flaming head, Orlando give it a quick shave, just bellow the neck. The goblin's still flaming head rolls down the gentle incline towards the village as his body drops to the floor.

Math_Mage
2010-04-07, 12:19 AM
Fiona

Muttering to herself about upper body strength and improvised weapons, Fiona grabs the hammer from her belt.

So I'll smash his head in next turn if no one else does it first, since I can't start another full-round action this turn.

Krennel
2010-04-07, 08:27 PM
The goblin squirms a few times after you pound its head in with the hammer. night has descended, and all you can see is the town, as a large fire burns down one of the buildings.

Math_Mage
2010-04-07, 08:55 PM
Fiona

"Everyone all right?" Fiona called out cautiously. "Do we still want to venture into town?" Did we ever? she thought to herself.

Krennel
2010-04-08, 09:30 PM
As you enter the town, you notice drunken mobs of the lesser intelligent races fighting in the streets.
At one point you watch as a giant picks up a man, who promptly transforms into a large semi-humanoid bear and throws the giant through one of the many pubs.
You are largely unnoticed by the locals, to busy stealing and killing each other to bother with you. You notice a quiet bar, only a Human waitress and a Hobgoblin barkeep are in view, though you smell a few other races inside.
Its' sign reads, "Damasclese and the seven dwarfs" in huge block letters.

Math_Mage
2010-04-08, 10:20 PM
Fiona

Fiona enters the bar and looks around, a little bemused to find such a calm place amid the chaos. She approaches the waitress and quietly asks, "What is happening in this town? Everyone out there seems to have run mad."

Krennel
2010-04-08, 10:26 PM
You notice the waitress has a very feline look to her. She smiles as you approach her. "You be lookin' at the reason we non normals aint allowed in nowhere nice. Ain't that right Yondak?" she calls to the hobgoblin waiter as she smiles and laugh softly at you. "Course I ain't gonna be here long, just workin enough for some basics, don't take orders none to well." she says looking back at Fiona.

Math_Mage
2010-04-09, 12:46 AM
Fiona

"So...this is a typical occurrence." Fiona thought it bizarre and improbable that such extensive property damage (to say nothing of bodily harm) happened on a regular basis. "Yet here your bar sits, untouched. Is there a magical ward on the place?" she asked, half in jest.

Krennel
2010-04-09, 03:59 PM
"Naw, it's just that we're a fiwrst class establishment here. We get all the captain and the officewrs of the local brigands."
She gestures to most of the customers. they appear to be holding wine, and more than one is missing a body part.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-09, 04:03 PM
Lumble gets the feeling this place is significantly rougher than the average drinking establishment, and puts his back to a wall while keeping an eye on the bar patrons, as well as his party members backs.

Dragero
2010-04-09, 06:15 PM
Ehhh....well it was nice meeting you....

How about we get out of here?

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 08:17 AM
"Aw, come on! You heard the lady, we're in a first class place, here! Besides, we could get more information here. I don't trust the mayor and that priest by a long shot. I'll buy you all a drink"

ShotgunPete
2010-04-10, 11:40 AM
Lumble walks up to the bar and hops up to stand on a stool so he can see the barkeep. "How's it going friend? Been as rough a night for you as it's been for me," he says as he shows the javelin wound in his side. He tosses a gold pieces on the bar, "Bottle of your strongest stuff, and couple of rags that aren't too dirty, and keep the change."

ooc - The waitress and the barkeep are the only ones in the bar that we can see, yes?

With the waitress occupied by his fellows and the barkeep turning to fetch his order, Lumble weaved the motions and whispered the words of a charm spell on the barkeep. (Will DC 17, 2/4 1st level spell slots). ooc-listing several questions at once in the interest of saving time if he gets charmed. Lumble will be drinking with the barkeep as this is going on, as well as using a little bit of the alcohol to clean his wound and using the rags to bind it better.

"What's with the fighting, is this unusual? Other than that, is there anything unusual happening in town? What can you tell me about the local brigands and their officers, as well as where they are situated? Do you know where the goblin band that's causing all this trouble is holed up? Have you heard of any libraries or any such thing around? If not, do you know of any local ruins, dungeons, etc.?"

edit: lol we both posted at the same time

Krennel
2010-04-10, 11:40 AM
The Hobgoblin perks up at the sound of that. He pulls a couple of bottle of wine a small notepad from under the counter. "Well then,"He says in a voice that should be coming from an earth elemental, "We've got some Orcish wine and the most reliable information in town."
The waitress walk up behind Lumble and grabs his hands after he finishes the spell. "I wouldn't try something like that again mouse, cause you just may end up on the wrong end of two cats."

ShotgunPete
2010-04-10, 11:54 AM
"Heh heh, all in good fun, miss. I'll behave."

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 11:58 AM
"Hey! Don't use magic on the bar people! For all you know, they could have done other stuff before coming here! Trust me, I know..."

Krennel
2010-04-10, 12:02 PM
The Hobgoblin, Yondak, runs back around and places a large bottle of wine and a glass on the bar. First things first, that'll be two gold for the bottle. Second I'll answer the questions that won't cost you anything."
His voice is getting deeper by the minute, and you get the impression it isn't normal for a hobgoblin,"First, your in Brigand, so fighting isn't unusual, in fact it's common. We get the bandits from the south, the Lycanthrope tribes from the north, and the pirates from all over around here. fighting is a past time, a hobby even. Second, I do know where the local goblins are living, but that'll cost yah. Finally, it's unusual for us to be getting to adventuring groups in a month."
He looks at the first glas for a second before pulling it off the table and replacing ti with one of fine elven crystal, setting one out fro each party member.
"Will yah be wantin anything to eat?", the Waitress asks in a coy tone.

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 12:18 PM
"No worries. I'll get it" Sothix says, handing over the two gold pieces.

After hearing the offer for food, Sothix asks the waitress "Well, what do you have to eat?"

Krennel
2010-04-10, 12:50 PM
The waitress pulls out her own notepad, and flips through the pages.
"We have Rabbit, Steak, Potatoes, Bread, And apple pie. Oh, and some turkey's as well as a chicken that some of the golbin's brought to market yesterday. And ofcourse Yondak has all the information you can handle, but that's more like foowd for thouwght.

Volthawk
2010-04-10, 12:57 PM
"Steak and potatoes, please. Haven't had steak in a loong time"

Krennel
2010-04-10, 01:00 PM
The Waitress nods and walks towards a door behind the bar, disappearing into what may be the kitchen.
Yondak puts hishands on the table and leans over to you. "Now I believe you had some questions." He states very matter of factly.

Math_Mage
2010-04-11, 01:09 AM
Fiona

Fiona hung back for a moment, warily eying the indicated brigand leaders. If she had been in a menagerie before, this was a zoo. Yondak's words exacerbated her tension, but sustenance came first. "I will have a little rabbit," she told the waitress, laying out some money. "Nothing else, thank you."

She looked sharply at Yondak. "Two adventuring groups. The other one was recognizable, then? Not your common lot of bandits?"

Spot/Listen after the waitress indicates the crowd. I want to know who looks dangerous, who looks nervous, who's looking at us funny. If anyone's talking about libraries, about attacking us, about magic, I'm listening for that. Sense Motive coupled with the Spot to help with detecting any 'off' behavior.

Sense Motive: [roll2]

How much for the rabbit?

Krennel
2010-04-11, 01:33 AM
"1 Gold Miss," Yondak says boredly. The room is a buzz with hushed conversation, almost all of it regarding you, but nothing seems to be about attack, just curiosity. You also hear a few murmurs about caravans and old times in far away lands.
" I should say they were different. That group cause quite the commotion. A demigod openly traveled with them. He paid his two bits for information, and was on his way."

Math_Mage
2010-04-11, 02:18 AM
Fiona

"Well, I expect any fraction of a god would be enough to get them where they were going," Fiona said, suitably impressed. "Then again, having that as competition means I've a strong desire to make tracks in the opposite direction, which would be...which way?" she asked innocently.

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 04:20 AM
"A demigod, you say.... What races were these people, and what could you tell about what their roles were, or anything else you know about them?"

Krennel
2010-04-11, 11:45 AM
"Ah, but info like that don't come cheap. Of course, Id you don't have the money, I'm sure we can work something out." Yondak miles, and you get a good look at his teeth. they are corroded and black, but not from food if you had to guess.

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 11:49 AM
"Define 'not cheap'."

Krennel
2010-04-11, 11:52 AM
"Well, considering he blew up half the Dancing Dragon, Fifty gold per question." His smile fade, adn starts to tap is pencil on the table. " However, since your such good customers, if you can do something for me, call it a quest, then I'll give you the information free of charge."

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 11:54 AM
"......He BLEW up half the Dancing Dragon?"

Krennel
2010-04-11, 12:02 PM
"He and his brother set fire to the grog barrels. However, I'll take the fact I have no gold in my hand as a sign you can't afford it. So heres the deal. The Dancing Dragon belonged to a good friend of mine, who a few nights ago got a one way wind walk spell to the bottom of the Grog river. I want you to find the group who did it, and brig 'em here. I'll answer any questions you want if you'll do that."

OOC: Remember guys, a demi god could be a tenth level, NPC's don't know about class levels.

Math_Mage
2010-04-11, 01:34 PM
OOC
Sure, but 10th level is still a rarefied level of excellence from our perspective. Also, what do you mean, NPCs don't know about class levels? Many of them have those. Is it IC vs. OOC knowledge? :smallconfused:

Fiona

"Well, I'm interested. Let's clarify this deal a little. How many do you want alive, for example? Do you have any suspicions about who did it or why?" Fiona folded her arms over her chest.

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 01:41 PM
Hearing what Fiona was said, Sothix nods.

"Yeah, do you have extra info or we on our own?"

ShotgunPete
2010-04-11, 02:25 PM
OOC - I think he means, NPCs don't have a concept of level. No one knows if they are or if someone else is level 1, 5, or 20, even though as a player you know that a certain spell or class feature requires a certain level.

"Besting 'em in a fight without killing 'em won't be so hard, mate. I see getting them to march back in a nice line to their trial or whatever you got planned for 'em being a bit hard though. We got some rope, but I don't 'spose a couple sets of manacles would be too much to hope for?"

Dragero
2010-04-11, 02:51 PM
I'll have three steaks, and some ale. Orlando puts the gold on the table.

Also, it seems like we will be needing some more info about where these guys are, what they look like, and how many are needed alive.

ShotgunPete
2010-04-11, 03:38 PM
Lumble flags down the waitress, "I'll have some rabbit with a side of bread, and here's a second gold for the bottle of wine, and will a third cover the food and a satisfactory tip?

Krennel
2010-04-11, 04:31 PM
"It was two humans, they called themselves the abney brothers. They went to the Library a little way to the north, in a small hole in the ground."

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 06:41 PM
"Abney, you say? Nothing springs to mind, but we'll find them for you. After we have some food."

ShotgunPete
2010-04-11, 06:49 PM
"Library you say? What do you know of this establishment. I'm a bit of a reader, you see. And how much do you fine fellows charge for a bid, if there're any open."

Krennel
2010-04-11, 07:51 PM
The Waitress emerges with a plate pilled high with bread and a bit of butter, all pipping hot. she sets them down on the table, obviously the appetizer.
Yondak laughs at Lumbles statement, "There isn't a library here you fool, I was refering to Damascles'" He spits o the ground as he says the name, "Say what you want about the old fool, but he had some powerful magic. I hear the second level of the library is a city on another plane he built himself. Course getting a weak eyed pink skin pig**** like him to do anything himself is impossible." He laughs uproariously again at the image.

Volthawk
2010-04-11, 07:53 PM
"Another plane, eh? Interesting...."

While thinking, Sothix grabs some bread and starts nibbling at it.

Krennel
2010-04-11, 07:57 PM
"It's all here say though, nobody ever goes very far in, and when they do they usually don't come back." Yondak replies. He moves behind the counter, serving a large man with a black mustache who enters the bar.
The waitress, whose name you here is Caitlyn, comes back in short order with a plate pilled high with warm meat. She sets down a couple of glasses, which she fills with beer, and finally some butter and jam, along with cutlery.
No one seems to be paying any attention to you in the bar, so it may be a good time to discuss the coming trip, perhaps to other planes of existence.

Math_Mage
2010-04-12, 12:34 AM
Fiona

Feeling distinctly outnumbered, Fiona refrained from commenting on the 'pink skin' remark. She took her food and ate in a businesslike fashion. "Seems like Damasclese didn't exactly make himself popular around here," she observed quietly. "But that power is incredible...unimaginable. Anyone would want to get their hands on a piece, if they could make it out in one piece themselves."

ShotgunPete
2010-04-12, 12:43 AM
"It appears we've lost some of our company along the way... I don't 'spose any of you lot can heal?" Lumble says while look at his javelin wound, which is bound and stable, but still painful. "If not some rest would be lovely"

Krennel
2010-04-12, 02:10 AM
OOC: you guys want me to recruit a person, or just make a cardboard cutout?
A minotaur who was sitting alone, laughs as he hears Fiona's comment, and get up from his over sized table. He pulls his seat up to your table, and sits down.
In a voice suprisingly like lumbles he says, We are more like you Humans than you believe. When somebody comes along and gives our enemies weapons in exchange for annihlating us, and preserving some building we wouldn't even touch normally, we have a tendency to get really angry." He offers his hand to each person in turn, shaking your hands. " the names Tim Shannon, I was born under the god king. Surprising how a half orc can make space for his grandfathers people, but leave out mine."
An Oger pulls up his chair, flanked by two of his kin. "Oh yeah shaggy? At least they don't name the local cage after what they use ta kill yah." He laughs and his guards laugh with him. He also shakes hands with the party members, following it up with, My name is Lord Shant, I rule the local ogre tribes. These two belaying pins for brains are Tippsy and Rippsy."

ShotgunPete
2010-04-12, 02:19 AM
OOC - Eh, I have use magic device, if I get my hands on a wand I can heal just fine out of combat with take 20s, which is mostly where it's done. Lacking a cleric and cheap for an adventuring party at 750 gold (or less if we can buy one half full) we could run on that, but we're still quite short, unless we find one as a treasure with just a few charges on it in the mean time. We can press on heroically until then, but if poor, wounded Lumble bites it while still a vulnerable level one I'd reroll as a cleric for the group.

Volthawk
2010-04-12, 02:21 AM
OOC: Don't really mind.

"Oh, sounds like there's some bad blood between you and that guy. What happened?"

ShotgunPete
2010-04-12, 02:33 AM
Nice to meet such down ta earth royalty, me lord, leaders of the more human races are typically more sheltered behind their manors and guards to deal with the common folks. Lumble bows politely to the ogre lord and then pours some wine for himself, the ogre, and the minotaur. Do you know any stories about this library of Damasclese, me Lord? All we hear is jus' that, stories and tales and warnings and threats, all cryptic at the least, but we seek it out nonetheless.

Krennel
2010-04-12, 02:43 AM
Lord Shant speaks up. "So my people have been living here for longer than we have memory of, and we have a library none to shabby of our own, and then these humans come along. At first, they offer us work. Sure, it's basic labor, and we don't have much use for the money, but my great granddad loved shinny things. So he sends half the village off to construct their cage, and they give us a few coppers, and we wander back to our homes just a happy as can be. Everything's real peaceful between all of us, until about a hundred years ago, the trog tribe spits in two. they start raiding the cage, and we all get blamed. Well they send ova Damasclese, and he takes both he tribes, and gives them jobs. He makes the smaller tribe disappear, but the bigger tribe he not only leaves behind, he makes them attack everybody else for stuff the goblins and the trogs were pulling. Well with their new weapons they slaughtered the local Kobolds, and cut our number in half. food was so scarce we had to start raiding, which only cause more people to die. Well the Trogs got bored, and they started turning their blades on the Cage, like everybody else. Still, those Kobolds ain't coming back, which is a shame too, cause they made the finest weapons and plows around. now their mines are empty to the south. fortunately, with the reputation of this place, the town you see now sprang up almost over night."
Now Tim speaks, his voice is sad, "I met them when I first came here, about 80 years ago, it was a rotten shame what they did."