PDA

View Full Version : Cyborg Template (WIP)

Jallorn
2010-03-07, 08:09 PM
This thread is to create a kind of partial Warforged template. I have enlisted the aid of Geiger Counter, he and I are in charge of direction, anyone else can help though.

I have, at the suggestion of Geiger, looked at the Renegade Mastermaker, and I like the Battlefist, but the rest isn't what I'm looking for. I'm thinking of a system where for a specified LA you select a certain number of physical replacements for your body. Like, you could replace your hands with battlefists. For more LA, you can replace more parts. Certain more powerful parts would take up more of the parts you're allowed by LA.

More info to come after dinner.

Jallorn
2010-03-07, 08:10 PM
Reserved post.

Jallorn
2010-03-07, 08:34 PM
Reserved post.

Jallorn
2010-03-07, 09:32 PM
Reserved post.

Last one, you guys can post now.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-07, 09:46 PM
first the swiss army apendage
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SwissArmyAppendage
Basically this works like artisans/thieves tools which are kept in the forarm.

Then there are spiderlimbs/tentacles
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiderLimbs
http://www.roomwithamoose.com/pictures/Palisades/palisades_zim_grey_spider.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_27.jpg
I thought of a tentacled backpack that reaches an item for you. Dolgaunts gain a +4 bonus to climb and balance because of their tentacles.

Then I thought of the ram rod, basically a shortspear on a piston attached to the forearm. It gives a +2 to attack bonus which does not stack with a charge bonus.

TabletopNuke
2010-03-07, 10:29 PM
You could make an Inspector Gadget PC with this template. I approve.

You need a magnifier lens attachment that grants a bonus on Search/Spot checks. And Go-Go Gadget Skates to increase your speed on level or downward sloping ground.

Fiend Folio has the maug race (sentient constructs), and maug grafts. These might be of relevance to you.

Apropos
2010-03-07, 10:39 PM
The description of half-golem sort of match this. Except it only replaces limbs. And you can lose your sanity. And it always makes you clumsier.

ForzaFiori
2010-03-07, 11:07 PM
Then there are spiderlimbs/tentacles
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/SpiderLimbs
http://www.roomwithamoose.com/pictures/Palisades/palisades_zim_grey_spider.jpg
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/bovd_gallery/88161_620_27.jpg
I thought of a tentacled backpack that reaches an item for you. Dolgaunts gain a +4 bonus to climb and balance because of their tentacles.

Then I thought of the ram rod, basically a shortspear on a piston attached to the forearm. It gives a +2 to attack bonus which does not stack with a charge bonus.

you might also consider something like what Doc Oct has in Spider man.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-07, 11:59 PM
Something I would really like to see is the warlock class turned into megaman.

Djinn_in_Tonic
2010-03-07, 11:59 PM
Alright...you're going about this in the wrong way. Ideas, while nice, should be second: mechanics first.

A modular level adjustment will be interesting to do. I'd make it more interesting, and allow you to take it at different strengths...

For example:

LA +1: 5 Modular Points
LA +2: 12 Modular Points
LA +3: 21 Modular Points
LA +4: 32 Modular Points
LA +5: 43 Modular Points

Then determine how many Modular Points each ability (or each increase in ability power) would be. Maybe even allow a character to increase their Cyborg power in place of a level gain.

The ever-increasing Modular point system is in place to somewhat alleviate the penalties of level adjustment, offering higher returns with more of an investment.

The add abilities.

Liquid Metal [Cost 2] (Requires Mithril Body feat) -- Your body flows like liquid metal, bending fluidly around blades and other weapons. You gain Damage Reduction 5/Bludgeoning. For every additional 3 points you invest in Liquid Metal, your damage reduction increases by 5 (up to a maximum of DR 20/Bludgeoning). You may only invest points in this ability once for each +1 LA of Cyborg you possess.

Toughened Frame [Cost 1]: You gain 5 hit points. Each additional time you select Toughened Frame, you gain 5 hit points. You may only invest points in this ability once for each +1 LA of Cyborg you possess.

And so forth.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-08, 01:04 AM
Personally I would never take on a LA for the sake of a few idiosyncrasies. To be tiny (for a rogue or warlock) or large (for a melee character) or have SR/fast healing/regeneration/DR, these things are worth a small LA, few other things are.

We should focus on treating cybernetics as grafts or as class levels.

Jallorn
2010-03-08, 01:16 AM
No, I'm going to go with the LA method. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others wouldn't. I would.

Yeah, Djinn has the right idea. Should have higher numbers of "modular points" per LA though. I'd rather have highly precise costs, so instead of having one 1MP attachment being stronger than another at the same cost, the stronger one actually costs more.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-08, 04:28 AM
No, I'm going to go with the LA method. Just because you wouldn't doesn't mean others wouldn't. I would.

That is extremely bizarre. Grafts require material costs, experience and someone with the knowhow to make use of them. Cybernetic enhancements obviously require material costs and expertise. Adding LA, then buying it off is unnecessarily more complicated than simply having a flat Experience cost.

Jallorn
2010-03-08, 12:42 PM
That is extremely bizarre. Grafts require material costs, experience and someone with the knowhow to make use of them. Cybernetic enhancements obviously require material costs and expertise. Adding LA, then buying it off is unnecessarily more complicated than simply having a flat Experience cost.

I disagree, it seems simpler to me. But perhaps we can do both. With each piece having a modular point amount for the LA, and an exp/materials penalty for graft style application. But you should need a feat of some kind to apply them, while the template only takes up LA.

drack
2010-07-22, 03:24 PM
children stop fighting

combine the ideas and have many small grafts that each add points, and your LA increases as you get them preventing leveling, or even loosing levels, perhaps you can stall leveling untill your LA increases if you want to skip the messy unleveling, but also consider that "newer models" or better stuff costs more, and limit how many you want were, (or it could be done as Ion stones where you can have as many as you want, but I still suggest limiting it (though you could also allow higher costs to layer such such as might be feasible as specialized armor for warforged ect. but I know that is somewhat agenst the idea of warforged)

...and you just said that didn't you :smallredface:

anyways perhaps being able to slowly build up charge for the robot part through the day (or as the human part sleeps) by leaching off the human part and being able to use that as a part of some of the abilities. For example a shield that leaches charge, such that you are also getting HD, magic, or some other equivalent for the LA, and perhaps even mechanisms to boost this process at the cost of you needing to eat more or not get the bonus points in addition to starving.