PDA

View Full Version : Not able to post a particular message

wadledo
2010-03-08, 12:58 AM
When posting in the PbP section, I found it odd that I apparently couldn't change my post. I then attempted to quote the dice roll and make a new post, but that didn't work either.
I can only assume it has something to do with the contents of my actual message, but there doesn't seem to be anything particularity vulgar or strange in it.

I'm honestly just plain confused by this.

Any opinions?:smallconfused:

SensFan
2010-03-08, 01:08 AM
When posting in the PbP section, I found it odd that I apparently couldn't change my post. I then attempted to quote the dice roll and make a new post, but that didn't work either.
I can only assume it has something to do with the contents of my actual message, but there doesn't seem to be anything particularity vulgar or strange in it.

I'm honestly just plain confused by this.

Any opinions?:smallconfused:
There's certain keywords that block posts.
"Lynx" is one of those words, if there's a space after it.
There are more words, I believe.

wadledo
2010-03-08, 01:13 AM
..........Yes, that would be it.
I'm fearful to ask why......... but why?:smallconfused:
Is not the discussion of large, short tailed cats who enjoy high altitudes a proper subject for an online forum?

Nerd-o-rama
2010-03-08, 01:37 AM
This is the most bizarre thing I've ever heard of.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-08, 03:44 AM
something to do with programming that the site's host doesn't want to deal with people hacking it but that the site doesn't actually use or something like that.

Rawhide or Roland will elaborate.

Manga Shoggoth
2010-03-08, 03:59 AM
I believe he already has:

The word lynx followed by a space is blocked not by the forum software but the server's security configuration. The security configuration is in place to prevent code injection and the use of that program through people manipulating web scripts. However, it's not actually an issue as we do not have lynx installed on the server at all. As it's a non-issue for several reasons and a word we use frequently here, I have asked several times for it to be unblocked by the hosting company and every time they do unblock it, until the next security audit and upgrade.

Can't really blame them, they are doing what they are supposed to be doing and protecting the server from attacks, it's just annoying to me and to you.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-08, 09:37 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: @^ yes. I'm also led to believe that for technical reasons, we shouldn't discuss the issue further.

One can circumvent that problem through use of formatting, I believe.

lynx