PDA

View Full Version : Crowning Moments of Awesome

onthetown
2010-03-08, 09:11 AM
Any times in a game where your character ended up looking completely awesome?

Last gaming session, our (really really big, think triple cruise ship sized) airship encountered a very old red dragon. The dragon was flying toward us and breathing fire at us, and despite our best efforts it was quickly gaining on us. We didn't want to fight it because we're only mid-level. We had already tried to talk to it when it first attacked and all we got out of it was, "You're in my territory!"

In the middle of the chase, my character (one of the captains, the other is her brother) turned to the pilot and told him to turn the ship around and ram into the dragon. After a few moments of shock and her repeating herself, they turned the ship around, shot the ship up to full speed and crashed into the dragon.

The dragon was pretty much impaled on the front of the ship, though the ship was pretty wrecked, too. It couldn't free itself and was struggling to get loose; my character calmly walked up to the top outside deck and over to where the dragon was impaled, standing right on the edge of the destruction, looked the dragon straight in the eye and cooly asked, "Are you ready to talk peace yet?"

That alone was awesome enough, but then the dragon decided it didn't want to so we blew it up with some magical engine cannon thingy the DM had built onto the ship. We pretty much disintegrated the thing.

Unfortunately, we didn't get much exp for it because the DM claims that the ship is what killed it, not us, but it was worth it.

Also unfortunately, we're now spending a lot of gold on repairs, seeing as there's a nice, scenic view if you're standing on the lower decks near the front of the ship. It's really no surprise, seeing as this is the 4th airship she's crashed in some way.

Any other awesome moments, plans, strategies, etc you were particularly proud of?

Yorrin
2010-03-08, 10:20 AM
Great story.

Reminds me of my favorite Dwarf I've played. This one time, he charged ahead of the party into the room of one of the major villains of our campaign. The DM, making a starwars reference, had the villain sitting in front of a large circular window, turning around slowly to greet the party. The Dwarf, not waiting for the inevitable monologue, shield-bashed an orcish bodyguard into the villain, knocking him out of the window. The height of the window caused sufficient falling damage to kill him.

The DM, who encourages such creativity, just stood there, looking at my high roll(s), and said "well, there goes the rest of this gaming night."

Glimbur
2010-03-08, 11:03 AM
We may or may not have released a self-aware hive mind that wanted to absorb everybody in the universe. Then we taught it limited wish. Luckily, the asteroid that held it until we found it had a bunch of nuclear weapons on it. So we took two of them and teleported to where the thing had 'ported to with regular teleport.

Then we set the bombs to go off in five minutes.

Our cleric Dimensional Anchored the thing, our wizard/bad man started fighting the piece of the thing that came to our ship. I helped. The core of the critter kept trying to Dimensional Anchor us but couldn't manage the casting check (we're using Advanced d20 magic with e6. It's... madness) Eventually it knocked itself out dispelling our Dimensional Anchor and we killed the golem that came after us by stabbing it with the ship. Then we teleported away.

So, we killed an inimical alien life form by nuking it. Or so we think... OOC we know it survived by being cunning.

Soonerdj
2010-03-08, 11:14 AM
Well 2 things.

Our Rogue / Assassin managed to drop a Cleric and Fighter in one surprise round and than won initiative and dropped the other two fighters. Everyone, including me the DM, was a little more frightened of him after that. (Note he is lvl 9)

That and our Bard bluffing his way to the inner sanctum of a shipping head and then convincing him to sponsor their criminal enterprise for the low, low price of roughing up the head of the current head smugglers / bad guys in town.

Everyman
2010-03-08, 12:16 PM
Unfortunately, we didn't get much exp for it because the DM claims that the ship is what killed it, not us, but it was worth it.

I must say that is a great story. Odd logic on your DM's part, though. I mean, it was technically your strategy that defeated the dragon. Applying his/her logic to every other battle would result in some odd leveling in your party.

"Quickly, Sir Leo! You must smite the dragon!""
I cannot, my halfling friend, for I am only a level two paladin!
"What do you mean, Leo! You've been advenuring your entire life!"
"That is true, friend. However I cannot level, for my sword keeps kill-stealing my foes!"

Foeofthelance
2010-03-08, 01:35 PM
I must say that is a great story. Odd logic on your DM's part, though. I mean, it was technically your strategy that defeated the dragon. Applying his/her logic to every other battle would result in some odd leveling in your party.

"Quickly, Sir Leo! You must smite the dragon!""
I cannot, my halfling friend, for I am only a level two paladin!
"What do you mean, Leo! You've been advenuring your entire life!"
"That is true, friend. However I cannot level, for my sword keeps kill-stealing my foes!"

I think it has more to do with the line, "The magical cannon that my DM put there." This apparently wasn't player equipment, but probably some sort of story device the DM put there and gave the characters access to. So a high level encounter defeated by outside resources, they didn't get full XP for it.

Longcat
2010-03-08, 01:50 PM
In a SW:SAGA game, the group gets captured and is about to be executed by a firing squad. Before the execution, my character asks their officer for a last cigarette, which he is granted. With the officer in front of him, my character disarms him, and annihilates the entire firing squad with an autofire sweep critical. The look on the DM's face was priceless.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-08, 01:57 PM
We were facing an Epic Kraken, when we had 12 8th level PCs (yes, we were screwed). After I was digested, my buddy, who was running an Incubus Bard focused on playing Tenacious D's music teleported inside of it, hoping to recover my body to no avail. He cast Mindrot and then teleported it and himeself to the 666th layer of the Abyss. He recovered only my skull...

Isak
2010-03-08, 02:43 PM
Playing Rifts...

A part of my group and I were participating in a 4v4 arena match in Old Bones... Against a group of Mutant-almost-Teddy-Bear creatures who went by the name "Terror Bears".

The first round of melee combat was... Interesting. The Terror Bears had an ability where you see... Things. One bear was constantly glowing and exploding while fighting the Mega-Juicer in our party (The Death Throes), our Wired/Crazy Gunslinger was fighting a bear who when killed; split into hundreds of miniature versions of itself, The Splicer (Another Palladium RPG) in our group fought a Robot bear, and I fought one who was a very powerful psychic. After the first melee; our DM calls for a save to realize it was all fake.

Having been very annoyed with my inability to even hurt the guy I was fighting, I declare that I fly full speed at the same bear, and attack him with my homebrewed Nemesis Force Halberd. One very high damage critical hit later (Enough to kill anyone in my party, including myself); I cut that damn Bear in half and watch as the others all throw down their weapons and declare their surrender.

Moral of the story? Don't piss off a Wanna-be Space Marine in SAMAS armor, and that cutting things in half SOLVES EVERYTHING!

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-08, 03:27 PM
The keep the party is defending is under siege we arrived via magic on top of the tower to witness the carnage and a Beholder hovers up into view. We're already fairly beat up from some previous fights and are low on magic.

So my lizardfolk fighter runs, jumps and grabs onto the beholder grappling him. That eyeball didn't stay flying as I went over his heavy load.
So I pull the beholder to the ground by the eye stalks (the beholder screaming in pain) while the party and NPC allies pelted it with arrows and the few remaining ranged spells.

Lysander
2010-03-08, 03:30 PM
Once, playing as a monk in a aerial dragon riding battle, I leaped onto a flying dragon's back and stunning fisted its rider, then tossed them off the side of the beast. Then my barbarian dragon riding ally beheaded the monster, and I ran up the monsters falling corpse, jumped off the tip of its tail (rolled 17 on the jump check) and landed on the friendly dragon.

Binks
2010-03-08, 04:14 PM
Got a good fighting one and a bluffing one, both from Star Wars.

Back in RCR I had a character who was a fairly stereotypical mandalorian. We had to climb up a 20m ridge to get into an enemy camp. I decided, having just barely made the check to climb up (as my armor had a penalty to climb and I had no levels in it) to climb down...and failed the first check. So we went looking through the rulebook and found how much damage falling 20m would do, rolled it out, and got low rolls thankfully. So my character landed at the bottom with a loud crash, shook himself off, and started moving through the camp.

First tent he came to had two enemies in it, one of whom rolled great initiative and then critted his attack with a bow and arrow (RCR crits were DEADLY, straight to woundpoints, which equaled your con score). Roll out that damage, and he has 1 wound point and a handful of vitality points left.

At this point most everyone was telling me to get out of there but I was determined to prove my character could hold his own in combat, so I kept going. 6 dead thugs later my guy commed the rest of the party with an "All Clear", having not taken any damage after the crit. It's occasionally still mentioned as his crowning moment of awesomeness, standing there in that camp surrounded by dead thugs with an arrow in his neck and likely some internal bleeding from the fall completely calmly telling the rest of the party it's clear.

The second was one of the most memorable moments of my saga edition noble with ridiculous bluff. We were trying to recover some droids that had been stolen by a group of thugs, so we arranged a meeting with them to 'purchase' the droids.

We walked into the meeting and I didn't see the dozen or so enemies standing all around with weapons drawn, though the rest of the party did. So my character, with absolute confidence born of ignorance, walks up to the guy and starts chatting. He eventually gets the guy to reveal that the droids are security models, bodyguard droids basically. At which point I turn to the GM and ask to make a Knowledge (bureaucracy) check (a trained skill that everyone else thought I was weird for training in) to determine if it's legal to have those droids on this planet. He allows it, I roll well, and he says they're illegal.

So my character pauses for a second, considers a few things, then simply looks the guy straight in the eye. "So you're trying to sell me illegal goods? I'm an imperial officer." Bluff check, and I roll a nat 20 which, combined with my high deception, lets me overcome even his boosted will defense. One "Give me the droids and I'll forget you ever had them" later and we had the droids and were blasting out of the place, having dodged the fight entirely.

NEO|Phyte
2010-03-08, 04:15 PM
In a SW:SAGA game, the group gets captured and is about to be executed by a firing squad. Before the execution, my character asks their officer for a last cigarette, which he is granted. With the officer in front of him, my character disarms him, and annihilates the entire firing squad with an autofire sweep critical. The look on the DM's face was priceless.

I know a character from a SAGAgame that would probably have done something very similar had the situation come up.

John Campbell
2010-03-08, 05:08 PM
So in this Shadowrun game, our troll physad - ten feet and half a ton of magically-boosted dermal-armored kung-fu fighter - and my scrawny human combat mage were hitting this warehouse where a bunch of enemy mooks had our shaman and gunbunny pinned down under a magical barrier, where they were pretty safe but unable to get out. We had the subtle plan of booting in the front door and going in guns (quarterstaves, spells, whatever) blazing. The troll, being a troll, was of course nominated to do the door-booting. So he kicked in the door - the architecture not really being designed to stand up to kung-fu trolls - and charged in, only to be met by a hail of gunfire as all of the mooks shifted their attention to a target that was out in the open where they could hit it. The only reason he wasn't dropped immediately was because he was a troll, and ridiculously tough, and he managed to drag himself, with one damage box remaining, into cover behind some crates.

"I think we need a better plan," said he.

"Nah," I said. "I've got it covered."

And then I unlimbered my SMG and walked calmly through the door. Standing in the doorway, with bullets zipping past me and pinging off the glowing magical field that protected me, I proceeded to walk SMG fire down the line, dropping each enemy mook with a single three-round burst. Then the shaman called out that the enemy mage had gone invisible, so I switched to astral vision - illusions don't work on the astral - and discovered the mage trying to sneak out the door past me, and emptied my H&K's magazine into him at point-blank range. As I turned back to face the warehouse, dropping the empty magazine and slapping in a new one, the one surviving mook set his gun down, laid down on the floor, and put his hands behind his head without even being asked.

The troll was kind of intimidated by me after that.

Same campaign, a little earlier, the gunbunny had gotten into an altercation with a go-gang, and in the course of the ensuing running battle, leaped from her motorcycle to the back of a ganger's motorcycle, whispered, "Nice bike," into the ganger's ear before sticking her Ruger into said ear and pulling the trigger, threw the ganger's corpse off the bike into the path of one of the other gangers, took control of the bike, and outran the rest of the gang with it.

Note that this required succeeding on a whole series of rolls with TNs high enough that she needed her d6es to explode two or three times, several of which she was throwing only one die at. She made them all without even burning Karma on it. That character was ridiculously lucky whenever she was doing insanely foolhardy things - which was pretty frequently; we joked that she wanted to be an action movie hero when she grew up.

onthetown
2010-03-08, 06:03 PM
I think it has more to do with the line, "The magical cannon that my DM put there." This apparently wasn't player equipment, but probably some sort of story device the DM put there and gave the characters access to. So a high level encounter defeated by outside resources, they didn't get full XP for it.

This, I think. I don't mind.

These are awesome stories. :smallbiggrin:

Volkov
2010-03-08, 06:07 PM
I lead my party and an armada of all non-demihuman sapient races on a rampage to the capital of the Demi-human empire. Fighting our way through hundreds of galaxies. (There were lots of spelljammer elements) I personally hacked through an army of millions with my sword. I even killed a few epic level wizards all by myself. Heck, an ubercharger hit me dead-on, and to his horror, my half-black dragon blackscale lizard folk was still standing, and promptly pulverized the ubercharger back into his component atoms.

sofawall
2010-03-08, 06:11 PM
I lead my party and an armada of all non-demihuman sapient races on a rampage to the capital of the Demi-human empire. Fighting our way through hundreds of galaxies. (There were lots of spelljammer elements) I personally hacked through an army of millions with my sword. I even killed a few epic level wizards all by myself. Heck, an ubercharger hit me dead-on, and to his horror, my half-black dragon blackscale lizard folk was still standing, and promptly pulverized the ubercharger back into his component atoms.

Volkov, at the levels you play, you could do that while rolling twos all the while.

EDIT: Hell, you probably don't even auto-fail on ones.

Volkov
2010-03-08, 06:14 PM
Volkov, at the levels you play, you could do that while rolling twos all the while.

EDIT: Hell, you probably don't even auto-fail on ones.

I still defeated the empire's third most powerful wizard, simply waltzing my way through all of his spells and beating him to death with his own staff. He had five contigent true ressurections and I still kept on killing him. His contigencies didn't help him very much since I had an item that allowed me to hitchhike on any of his spells that changed his location.

sofawall
2010-03-08, 06:27 PM
I still defeated the empire's third most powerful wizard, simply waltzing my way through all of his spells and beating him to death with his own staff. He had five contigent true ressurections and I still kept on killing him. His contigencies didn't help him very much since I had an item that allowed me to hitchhike on any of his spells that changed his location.

Isn't there a set of feats that do that?

Volkov
2010-03-08, 06:30 PM
Isn't there a set of feats that do that?

Does it work on epic spells too? And does it not allow them a save period?

The Glyphstone
2010-03-08, 06:38 PM
Does it work on epic spells too? And does it not allow them a save period?

Spell Stowaway. One spell per feat application, but as long as you know the spell to name, it's flawless - no save, nothing. It's an Epic feat.

Volkov
2010-03-08, 06:40 PM
Spell Stowaway. One spell per feat application, but as long as you know the spell to name, it's flawless - no save, nothing. It's an Epic feat.

Well I beat the wizard to death with some weird homebrew weapon that had 17-20 crit range and did x4 damage on critical hits and did 2d12 damage.

StoryKeeper
2010-03-08, 07:37 PM
Last time we played, we were giving one of our guys a shot at DM'ing. He was running our random one-shot characters through your standard multiple arena scenarios, and decided to have us fight a couple of those long-necked dinosaurs.

In the middle of the fight, one of the things gets hurt and scared, and tries to run away, so the guy putting us through the arena decides to magically close the wooden gates and wood warp (or something similar) the gate into a giant wooden stake that impales the dinosaur.

Now that probably would've been enough to kill it given time, but my goblin spirit shaman saw a beautiful opportunity. He uses something like "soften stone to earth" or something like that to turn the cave floor into soft clay, clay that is too weak to support a several-ton dinosaur's weight. The dinosaur is impaled on a spike, unable to pull itself free, and without a stable floor where it had been standing.

*RIIIIIIIIIIP!* goes the dragon's scaly skin and insides. :)

Later that session, we were fighting mycanid (the mushroom people.) My character has a spell called "briar web" that works just like a spiky version of entangle. All I needed was some plant matter in the area to grow the thing from. The mushroom folk were bunched together... Im not sure if it should have legally worked, but the mushroom folk were soon tangled up in spiky tendrils of plant matter growing from each others' bodies. They died trying to get free.... poor guys. :(

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-08, 07:47 PM
...One time our SWSE group's Duros pilot mooned an Imperial Star Destroyer.

Really don't think it gets too much better than that.

PrismaticPIA
2010-03-08, 07:50 PM
I killed a Cr 23 Red Dragon with a Decanter of Endless water.

Superglucose
2010-03-08, 07:55 PM
Heh heh...

Crowning moment of awesome: Spirited Charge on the Druid's Shark familiar.

Also with Yarlsberg there was this time where the GM homebrewed this monster creature tree thing to take me on. Everyone tried hitting it and did 0 damage, so I shruged and took a stab with my spear. It ended up flying back forty feet leaving a trail of its guts, which let it see who attacked it (as they were stuck on the end of my spear). On its next action it got up and partial charged me... but since I had reach he just got hit again and promptly died.

Malificus
2010-03-08, 07:56 PM

Just making sure I understand this. The crowning achievement of this character's life, the single moment that affirmed his existence, is exposing his behind to an Imperial Spaceship.

StoryKeeper
2010-03-08, 08:03 PM

Imperial Star Destroyer Pilot:
"That's not a moon..."

sofawall
2010-03-08, 08:08 PM
Imperial Star Destroyer Pilot:
"That's not a moon..."

You sir, are awesome.

Ferena
2010-03-08, 08:13 PM
playing WoD (I was the GM):

The group has fled from London to Prague at the beginning of the campaign. They met an old enemy who had followed them and was now standing behind a desk in front of a big panorama window and giving to them the typical arch-villain speech.
Before the end of the speech the group just pushed the desk (and said enemy) right through the window. With one of the characters delivering the following line: "Welcome to Prague, Lesson one: never stand near a window while taunting someone!"

The scene was pure gold.

Gamgee
2010-03-08, 08:18 PM
My DM was being particularly resentful after I killed a few guards as I was playing an arrogant and evil wizard with some notoriety for this thing. I mean who is going to miss them right? Not to mention they were arbitrarily blocking me from going into the city when that's where the DM wanted us to go.

So he managed to get my spell book away from me... oh boy. Level 4 wizard with no spell book, and no help in any way shape or form.

I tried several things to get my book back, and even sent in my familiar to go and get it. The book was "too heavy" for my cat apparently. So then I got sentenced to exile and cast out of the city in nothing but my underwear.

I wander the dessert and get attacked by some random barbarians. Keep in mind I am all alone. So against all odds I manage to convince them I am a wandering holy man, and learned they needed some help to heal sick tribe members. So now I am faking my job as a cleric. Amazing...

So I go into their tents, and after eating and getting a drink I look over the sick ones. Naturally I have no friggen idea what to do being a wizard. So I got another crit 20 on a bluff check and convince them I need some herbal medicine from a nearby town. So they send one escort with me to make sure I get the job done.

Soon as I am in town I kill the dude with what little spells I have left. Then I went on to starve for the rest of the day and night, and had only what few now useless spells from the previous day. Hey "look on the bright side", at least I found "lice ridden rags to use as clothing". Then they magically found me and all of their tribe was better again, and they imprisoned me. That is pretty much where I just decided this game was way off course and boring.

My one player who was supposed to be my body guard was the one who turned me in the first place on a whim. One of the others tried to help me, but gave up after the magical tribe of barbarians from nowhere came.

Suffice to say I never played that campaign again.

Edit
This is my best experience as a player in real life. Yes, it only gets worse from here.

Vagnarok
2010-03-08, 08:39 PM

Edit
This is my best experience as a player in real life. Yes, it only gets worse from here.

Oh my dear god... I'm sorry.

faith
2010-03-08, 08:45 PM
would have to say it would be for my rogue. @ level 11 we got into this ridiculous encounter we should have ran from, anyways it was basically a huge Dragon, with me as a Halfling, Brutal scoundrel Rouge Dagger master. I had surprise knock down. 3 crit hits in a row knocking the dragon on it's butt. :smallamused:

StoryKeeper
2010-03-08, 08:46 PM
Actually, that sounded kind of fun up until the tribe healed itself and you couldn't find anything useful. Being an evil mage on the run can be kinda fun! Of course, if I were the DM there, I would have had a couple of scrolls or a single page of a spell book come into your possession, but then I wouldn't have intentionally screwed you over at the end either.

Loxagn
2010-03-08, 08:48 PM
End of tier battle, against a statue possessed by an evil god and a horde of followers.

My bard rolls seven nat-20s, almost consecutively.

Two were on Diplomacy checks, turning a cleric against his god and convincing an entire horde of zealots to renounce their faith and fight for freedom.

One was on Initiative, putting my bard into the surprise round. (The party rogue AND the party warlock, the three of us being the only three party members to have been around since the beginning of the campaign, BOTH also nat-20'd on Initiative)

My other 4 20s were on various attacks, sending the avatar of a GOD into a blind stupor, and cranking out free crits for pretty much the entire party.

It was unanimously decided that there would never again be a more awesome moment in the entire campaign, and if there was, the universe would likely implode.

It was a CMOA in terms of roleplaying, as well, involving several characters coming to grips with their own pasts, and basically the entire pantheon backing us in getting rid of this guy.

onthetown
2010-03-08, 09:01 PM

My bard rolls seven nat-20s, almost consecutively.

Two were on Diplomacy checks, turning a cleric against his god and convincing an entire horde of zealots to renounce their faith and fight for freedom.

One was on Initiative, putting my bard into the surprise round. (The party rogue AND the party warlock, the three of us being the only three party members to have been around since the beginning of the campaign, BOTH also nat-20'd on Initiative)

My other 4 20s were on various attacks, sending the avatar of a GOD into a blind stupor, and cranking out free crits for pretty much the entire party.

This is why people shouldn't underestimate bards. This is why I love playing bards. They're wonderful little skill machines.

Loxagn
2010-03-08, 09:24 PM
It was... it was beautiful. It really was. For the first time, I think our party really worked as a team, and not just a bunch of people individually killing a bunch of guys by themselves.

The bard surmounted an enormous complex against his father, to aid a kingdom in need.
The rogue gave a speech to rouse a people to battle.
The paladin became a tactical genius, guiding the rest of the party to maximum effectiveness.
The warlock, for the first time in his life, was actually consistently rolling above 10.
Even the homicidal kill-everything ranger grew a heart and aided in finding a non-violent solution to a huge problem.
Our swordmage led the bastard around by his nose, dropping devastating blows left and right.

We ended up having to flee from the encounter because the god absorbed a massive divine power source, but we ended up evacuating the tower of all its inhabitants and saved everyone.

I have never been happier with a session.

Lapak
2010-03-08, 09:25 PM
"Welcome to Prague, Lesson one: never stand near a window while taunting someone!"

The scene was pure gold.My goodness. How marvelously, historically appropriate. :smallbiggrin:

Abd al-Azrad
2010-03-08, 09:26 PM

Edit
...Why do you still play? I mean... owch.

So this one's pretty fresh, last night's gaming session in fact. Ours is a sixth-level party run by a DM who loves, loves, optimization. Every single character we've met has been higher level than us, and typically using some broken set of class/race abilities to be absolutely devastating. The Half-Golem who crits on a 12. The Frenzied Berzerker. Because I am a tool, I'm playing a Wizard who doesn't even have third-level spells yet as part of his build (also filling in as the party's skillmonkey, sigh). The rest of the party is a pretty well-oiled damage machine, with a Warblade, a Rokugan Ninja (could'a used a freaking ROGUE...), a cleric and a sorcerer.

And we have defeated every broken foe we've faced thus far, due to a combination of similar PC overpoweredness and clever use of low-level spells. You know, the way parties are supposed to triumph against overwhelming odds. Only, we've had to face such epic struggles in every single battle we've fought.

So, we've spent the day wandering around, making friends and enemies in a city full of intrigue, espionage, and mid-level PC-killers all working to various ends, when one of our enemies (one we encountered, for the first time ever, the previous day) dispatches an Iron Golem to assassinate us.

Seriously. Slight this guy one time ever, and he responds immediately with an Iron Golem. And not just an out-of-the-book beast, oh, no. This one was advanced in Hit Dice, wearing enchanted full plate armor, and carrying a bloody Huge Human Bane greatsword. It also had the Leap Attack/Shock Trooper feat chain, just because. We learned after the fight that its primary attack dealt something like 4d6 (+2d6 vs. Humans, i.e. most of the party) +40 damage. It had about 200HP, an AC around 40, DR 15/Nothing We Have, unbeatable SR (hooray for playing a Wizard) and, remember, the Human Bane greatsword.

We all beat it in init, and the party moves to surround the beast. Buffs are thrown up, attack rolls are wasted as we learn that it's impossible to hit (for our, again, sixth-level party), and I ready an action.

It draws to swing its blade of death at our Warblade, and I cast Grease on its sword. The attempted attack fails instantly as the momentum of the Golem's swing sends the blade flying twenty feet away.

After that, the fight became a simple matter of trading blows, slowly whittling down a beast that had no real means to hurt us. It power attacked for full every round, as part of its programming, and thus landed a minor hit every two or three rounds, max. The whole party was instrumental in the battle, dishing out loads of damage in creative ways and keeping the beast stuck in one place, even surviving its lethal breath weapon, but I like to think that it was my first-level spell that defeated the highest CR enemy we've ever faced.

StoryKeeper
2010-03-08, 10:41 PM
Super-powered foes can be fun every now and then. They force you to find different ways of combating them. Of course, they're only fun if they aren't every fight you face all the time.

TheCountAlucard
2010-03-08, 10:52 PM
Just making sure I understand this. The crowning achievement of this character's life, the single moment that affirmed his existence, is exposing his behind to an Imperial Spaceship.There was a little more to it than that, of course. Our party was in a much smaller ship, and it was interposing itself so that we couldn't jump to hyperspace. Outgunned and outclassed, we needed a distraction, badly.

You sir, are awesome.+1

Yukitsu
2010-03-08, 11:11 PM
Most of my characters have one of these.

Cael's crowning moment of awesome was when he succesfully out batman gambitted his evil, omnicient, time traveling future self while he was a pregnant woman without tipping him(her?)self off as to how he had done it in the future's past. And he did it without either of them dying or being evil in the end.

Jo Pistachio, who is a child scientist had his biggest moment of glory when he was surrounded by super soldiers out to kill him, ancient undead who were trying to kill everything, and traps of death that seemed to be beyond his capacity to disable by putting on the evil artifact at the heart of the place, and talking his way into the good graces of the evil soul that resided in it, who was willing to teleport him out of there. All of that by being a pretty nice guy.

Fai's crowning moment of awesome was when she busted a group of slaves out of a pen while fending off dozens of druids that were her level or higher, a well as their animal companions by using illusions to set the slaves "ablaze" then running while the druids watched the slaves "burn".

Sir Isaac managed his when he dramatically managed a charge against a vampire lord. As a charge build smite paladin carrying a stake, the charge was suitably dramatic and devastating. More so considering how many rounds I took lining it up.

My COC character had one, when he jumped out of a helicopter to intercept a missile that someone was firing at it. Took it right to the chest, as I nailed the to hit roll for that. Bit of an odd situation, as he survived because the missile was a dud (rolled all 1s for damage) but it was still pretty neat.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-03-09, 12:05 AM
We've recently ended a long-running 4th-ed Shadowrun campaign. There was plenty of character development over its course, but most of the actual adventures boiled down to the mage and the hacker taking about two real-time hours to form a plan which would inevitably circumvent everything that the GM intended to throw in their way.

Over time, this issue was gradually corrected, but at the time of this scenario, we were starving for some real high-flying action... and boy, did we get it. Several characters finally got their defining moments of coolness. I'll restrain myself to just one of them:

The PCs had taken up residence in a large building in the middle of nowhere. One day, said building came under attack by a volley of thermite mortars launched from over a mile away. This would likely have killed us all had our contacts not warned us and arranged for the whole thing to take place in pouring rain. As it stood, it simply created a tremendous fireball that gradually burned a hole through the roof while casting a bright flickering light on the scene below.

Eventually, the bad guys (well, worse guys, this is still Shadowrun after all) ran out of mortars. So, the mortar team and their boss loaded up into their armored personnel carrier for the frontal assault.

My character, an adept, kept a modified garbage truck in the garage, and had elected to wait there when the party was warned about the attack. She loved that truck. She had previously abused the vehicle combat rules and dodged bullets with that truck.

When she finally spotted the charging APC, she flashed her bright headlights as a warning. They didn't seem to notice, so she pulled out the truck and charged right for them. At the point, the GM was forced to give me the ever-ominous, "Are you sure?" which I cockily ignored.

I would later discover that, for a head-on collision, he had calculated that the configuration of the two vehicles would have inevitably caused the truck's cab to buckle like a tin can, ensuring my character's demise. Put bluntly, he thought that the move was suicide.

Fortunately, I had never intended for it to be a head-on collision.

At the last instant, she swung her vehicle into a drift and bailed out. As the adept tucked and rolled through the mud, the APC was left to contend with the side of her truck, which we had earlier calculated to be as heavy and armored as some tanks. After a series of edge-enhanced die rolls on both sides, our heroine was fine, her truck was fine, and the enemies were now stuck in a smoking heap of scrap with seat belts.

Never again would our group forget the name of Leslie the Garbage Handler.

Kyrthain
2010-03-09, 07:53 AM
This hails from an evil ECL 18 gestalt game of mine. I was a huge troll dragon shaman/warhulk. I had awesome blow. This will be relevant.

We've made our way through an abandoned temple through various monsters. We've survived the crazy trap that shot over a hundred darts with some expensive poison on them with nary a scratch (well, it almost killed the cohort:smallbiggrin:)
We've come to the boss fight: a planetar with lots of class levels and a pair of sweet swords. He dons his helmet slowly, holds out one sword, and says "Touche, my friends". as he advances towards us, it is clear that he means business. He moves to attack me, and I realize that he provokes an AoO. I hit. Awesome blow. He's knocked back flying, ending his cool, powerful advance lying on his back on the ground. We won that fight.

Volkov
2010-03-09, 07:58 AM
In a silly little one on one game I DMed, the player took control of a reunite pandorym and fought all the gods, and eventually took on a fully-powered tharidizun for the right to destroy the universe. Pandorym won by ramming Tharidizun in the face, or at least what he considered to be a face. The colorful in-character insults that flew back and forth in that fight were the best parts.