PDA

View Full Version : [3.x]Where should my AC be? tripper

randomhero00
2010-03-08, 03:32 PM
I use a tripping build/reach/5-step to keep most enemies from ever getting full attacks off and I have the displacement thing cloak (20% miss chance) At level 9/10ish. So I have the basics covered. I already know a good defense doesn't rely on AC, but where approx. should my AC be? Like for when I get pelted by range before I can trip (or if they're flying..). I'm most interested in mid levels since that's where I happen to be (level 10.) But I'd be interested to know the approx. values for all levels ranges if you happen to know them.

Right now I have 27 AC, I could have gotten it to 30ish, but spent most of the gold on the displacement cloak (which I figure is way better than 3 or 4 AC). I've got 9 from plate +1, 3 from animated shield, 1 dex, 2 nat, 3 def, and -1 from large size mod.

Early levels it was quite easy to keep my AC up, but it keeps dropping more and more relative to my level. So I wanted to make sure I wasn't doing something wrong. Oh, and its lightly optimized, but not 3 or 4 classes optimized, just AC for what a straight fighter, or crusader (or paladin..) should have. I'm not looking for ultimate AC builds or anything.

sofawall
2010-03-08, 04:03 PM
Well, my level 7 Warblade has 12 AC most of the time. Alternatively, my level 9 Ranger has about 40-ish. Take from that what you will.

More helpful, I find, is to look up whatever CR you are, and find the attack bonuses of things at that CR. If they have an attack bonus 10 less than you AC, you're doing ok.

Person_Man
2010-03-08, 04:12 PM
A level 10 Trip build with a 20% miss chance and a AC 27 should be fine.

If it hasn't started to be a problem already, the bigger issue is going to be your hit points, Saves, and Touch AC. Where are they at?

randomhero00
2010-03-08, 04:41 PM
I said lvl 10ish in relation to AC because we happened to have gotten a lot of wealth, and am about to level to 10. This also isn't a full tripper/control build per se, as it does a ton of damage.

lvl 9
75hps
10 fort
5 ref
12 will
14 touch :(