PDA

View Full Version : Turkey hit by magnitude 6.0 earthquake

Jayngfet
2010-03-08, 07:40 PM
Another earthquake has hit, Turkey this time, not as bad as the last two but upwards of fifty dead so far.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100308/ap_on_re_eu/eu_turkey_earthquake

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2010/03/07/turkey-quake.html

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-08, 07:51 PM
What the hell?

Solaris
2010-03-08, 07:56 PM
{Scrubbed}

Crimmy
2010-03-08, 08:02 PM
{Scrubbed}

I'm sorry to say this, Solaris, but I find this anything BUT funny. Really, man, we're talking death here. Please don't bring stupid Mayan calculations into this.

Also, FYI, the 2012 was only the last calculation ever done for their Sun calendar. Yes, that was the year the 5th sun would end, and the 6th sun would start.

Now, I really have to say, I'm sorry for all those, and I really wonder what the frick is going on with the Planet. What's this, really? Quake after quake, the Earth is going down.

PJ the Epic
2010-03-08, 08:08 PM
I'm sorry to say this, Solaris, but I find this anything BUT funny. Really, man, we're talking death here. Please don't bring stupid Mayan calculations into this.

Also, FYI, the 2012 was only the last calculation ever done for their Sun calendar. Yes, that was the year the 5th sun would end, and the 6th sun would start.

Now, I really have to say, I'm sorry for all those, and I really wonder what the frick is going on with the Planet. What's this, really? Quake after quake, the Earth is going down.

The Earth reajusts itself every now and then with a string of earthquakes on faults (usually). It's really nothing extreme end of the world stuff, but it is affecting the citizens of those countries.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-08, 08:08 PM
Canada is next...

PJ the Epic
2010-03-08, 08:11 PM
Canada is next...

They've had it too easy for too long:smallamused:

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-08, 08:14 PM
Oh noes, eh?

Jayngfet
2010-03-08, 08:57 PM
Canada is next...

Which scares me, since I'm right off the coast of B.C., and the Juan de Fuca plate has been acting up recently.

shadowxknight
2010-03-08, 09:05 PM
Taiwan got hit by a 5-6ish?.0 earthquake couple weeks ago...

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-08, 09:07 PM
Which scares me, since I'm right off the coast of B.C., and the Juan de Fuca plate has been acting up recently.

Get outa there.

Jayngfet
2010-03-08, 09:11 PM
Get outa there.

Unfortunately my options aren't that great. The entire Juan de Fuca plate is acting up, so most of BC isn't safe. My next best option is very close to the border between the Carribean and North American plate. Most of my options take near faultlines.

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-08, 09:15 PM
Fly to Texas, I can only remember hurricanes hitting. Not even bad ones. The bad ones actualy avoid us.

thorgrim29
2010-03-08, 10:00 PM
Go live on the canadian shield, sure it's cold and there's nothing to do nut mining, but at least the quakes will never catch you.

Krade
2010-03-08, 10:01 PM
Fly to Texas, I can only remember hurricanes hitting. Not even bad ones. The bad ones actualy avoid us.

Heheh... "Don't mess with Texas.":smallamused:

It's amazing how much of the U.S. is on one fault or another. Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, whatever states that are directly west that I can never remember are all on the New Madrid faultline. We even had an earthquake a couple year's ago. It was really minor and didn't even wake me up enough to think properly enough to realize it even was an earthquake.

megabyter5
2010-03-08, 10:12 PM
Damnit, I thought I was onto something with the "western hemisphere is falling off" thing. Why does the earth have to ruin my theories by shaking on both sides? If it starts to look like one of these quakes is headed to Michigan, I'm going to have to seriously consider the potential option of attempting to negotiate my way through an airport with the hopeful intention of not giving up halfway through.

Although it might be faster to walk than fly.

Jayngfet
2010-03-08, 10:17 PM
Luckaly the death toll is far lower than in other quakes. Instead of the hundreds and thousands in Chile and Haiti, only 51 people were outright killed, mostly due to the fact that this time it occoured in a relatively out of the way area.

Krade
2010-03-08, 10:23 PM
Luckaly the death toll is far lower than in other quakes. Instead of the hundreds and thousands in Chile and Haiti, only 51 people were outright killed, mostly due to the fact that this time it occoured in a relatively out of the way area.

And also not in an area constructed mostly of cardboard and duct tape.

Edit: Actually, that probably would've been better than the actual construction standards in Haiti since there wouldn't be any heavy debris falling and hurting people.

Solaris
2010-03-08, 10:50 PM

Yes. It's black humor. In the last thread there were a couple about the Secret Earthquake Weapon (which still hasn't been properly calibrated yet, but it's closer). You should see the jokes I crack when it's someone I know.

With 'sun' being a pretty good approximation of 'era' or 'millennium', though without the thousand years, yes. Like as not it's pretty much where they said "Screw it, we can pick up from here in a thousand years" and left off.
That doesn't stop me from poking fun at conspiracy theorists and doomsday prophets.

It's neutrinos acting like microwaves on the Earth's interior!

Felixaar
2010-03-09, 12:51 AM
Ah, Australia.

All we have to worry about is Poisoned Kangaroos.

Cheerio, chaps! Of to another dangerous mission to the fridge! If I don't make it back... tell my story!

ForzaFiori
2010-03-09, 12:57 AM
Heheh... "Don't mess with Texas.":smallamused:

It's amazing how much of the U.S. is on one fault or another. Indiana, Illinois, Kentucky, whatever states that are directly west that I can never remember are all on the New Madrid faultline. We even had an earthquake a couple year's ago. It was really minor and didn't even wake me up enough to think properly enough to realize it even was an earthquake.

Not to mention almost every major city on the East Coast. The Apps got there somehow, right? NY sits almost right on it, Charleston and Myrtle are close enough to get hit by some nasty ones, same with ATL, and pretty much all of FL. My small, po-dunk town is almost right on the fault line.

Thankfully, the fault is fairly quiet in the US. It's just acting up in BC and in the Caribbean. Although it does mean were over due for one. There's usually an earthquake every ~100 years or so, and the last major one was in the mid 1800s.

drakir_nosslin
2010-03-09, 01:52 AM
But seriously, that country should really be called something else in English. The first thing that popped into my head was the image of some poor bird shaking to death...

But, yea, there's something weird going on, what with all these quakes. I'm happy that I live where I do, Sweden hasn't been hit by one since, well kind of forever, that's the whole idea with the country I think. We're supposedly safe from everything here, except people who complains about the taxes.

Athaniar
2010-03-09, 02:31 AM
One more earthquake in the next few days, and I'll be genuinely worried.

Also, the bird was named after the country.

SDF
2010-03-09, 10:48 AM
6.0 isn't much to take notice of. People died, so it is news, but that is because the location hit and the poor construction of buildings in the affected area. In fact, there hasn't been an unusually high earthquake count this year for the magnitudes of the quakes that have already occurred.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-03-09, 03:32 PM
Looks like Christmas has come early this year... ONLYJOKINGDON'TTAKEOFFENSE

Anyway, what's with the sudden proliferation of earthquakes? Is the planet hungry? :smalleek:

Jayngfet
2010-03-09, 03:34 PM
Looks like Christmas has come early this year... ONLYJOKINGDON'TTAKEOFFENSE

Anyway, what's with the sudden proliferation of earthquakes? Is the planet hungry? :smalleek:

If she is hungry, we shall feed her drill missiles! Quickly lads, to the super robots!

Asta Kask
2010-03-09, 03:36 PM

Probably more along the lines of if 'one line snaps the rest snap as well'. All the Earth is one system, and what happens in one place affects all others. We'll have a quiet period once this is over.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-03-09, 03:37 PM
If she is hungry, we shall feed her drill missiles! Quickly lads, to the super robots!

But she already gobbled up Turkey! Which other countries are named the same as food?!?

THERE IS NO TIME! :smalleek:

The Rose Dragon
2010-03-09, 03:50 PM
But she already gobbled up Turkey! Which other countries are named the same as food?!?

THERE IS NO TIME! :smalleek:

In Turkish, at least, the word "Mısır" is used for both Egypt and corn.

Jayngfet
2010-03-09, 03:53 PM

The link has become clear! The earth is subject to the mummy curse!

CrimsonAngel
2010-03-09, 03:57 PM
The Earth reajusts itself every now and then with a string of earthquakes on faults (usually). It's really nothing extreme end of the world stuff, but it is affecting the citizens of those countries.

This should answer most of your questions.

Mattarias, King.
2010-03-09, 07:30 PM
:smalleek: Really? Dang, my grandpa lives in Turkey. I'm sure he's ok though. My dad's family is tough. :smallwink:

Now, what's this about feeding the earth with drills? :smallconfused:

Thufir
2010-03-09, 07:52 PM
I only just realised this was referring to the country Turkey... I was all, 'How can an earthquake specifically hit a Turkey?' Brain fail.

drakir_nosslin
2010-03-10, 06:47 AM
Also, the bird was named after the country.

But turkey>Turkey (IMHO) so rename the country, there must be no misunderstandings during thanksgiving!

Arti3
2010-03-10, 06:52 AM

Actually it's just the end of the 13th b'ak'tun.

Irbis
2010-03-10, 03:26 PM
{scrubbed}

Lost Demiurge
2010-03-10, 03:58 PM
Y'know, as long as the Yellowstone caldera doesn't go, life'll be hunky-dory. If it does... Whoo.

Darius Midnite
2010-03-10, 04:04 PM
I feel sorry for those who have lost their loved ones and for those who have lost their lives. Í do however feel lucky that I live in Denmark where no major catastrophes happen, the closest we get to a natural disater around here is the occasional storm.

Graymayre
2010-03-10, 04:27 PM
was it allright? Did they save it?

bosssmiley
2010-03-10, 10:12 PM

Similar to the way "Iowa" is used in American English then. :smallwink: