PDA

View Full Version : Let's stat out popular characters in E6

Yora
2010-03-08, 07:57 PM
Yes, I know, another one of those "What stats would Really Really Big Man have if he were a RPG character". But in this case, it actually has a useful purpose, namely to show and discuss how people interpret and handle the fluff power level in an E6 game.

Before you enter your submissions, I think it's a good idea to shortly stop and think about what common interpretation there are what "Epic 6" means.

1. "6 is the new 21": Character that are epic in a regular d20 game, that is have reached 21st level, are set to 6th level and all levels between 1st and 20th are adjusted accordingly. This means that 6th level characters are extremely rare and powerful.
2. "Equal or greater 6 equals 6": The opposite of "6 is the new 21". Characters of 1st to 6th level are exatly as powerful as in a regular d20 world. But all characters of 7th or higer levels are croped down to 6 and given a big bunch of feats as compensation. (Though it's estimated that you can't get characters higher than CR 10 that way, no matter how many feats you give them)

If you have other interpreations of what E6 means regarding the station and power of characters within the world, please state them in your post. I'll try to add them to the first post.

So, here a couple of characters I've allready made.
All characters Point Buy 25, under ">6 = 6"

Princess Mononoke:
A****aka (unpossesed)
NG, male human, Fighter 4/Ranger 2
Str 14, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 12, Cha 12
Masterwork Short Sword +9 (1d6+2)
Masterwork Shortbow +9 (1d6)
Favored Enemy (magical beasts) +2
Animal Affinity, Endurance, Far Shot, Improved Initiative, Mounted Archery, Mounted Combat, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Track
Possessions: Bamboo cloak (padded armor), masterwork short sword, masterwork shortbow.

I set A****aka at 6th level. The movie starts with him defeating a huge size aberration by using Point Blank Shot and Mounted Archery. So he really IS good at what he's doing. His "Ranged Disarm" (pun intented) is most probably comming from the demonic possession, so I set his physical stats as appropriate for a fit your warrior. He shows wisdom and charisma, but not in any overly impressive amounts, while his intelligence is really just ordinary from what we know.

San
CN, female human, Ranger 5/Rogue 1
Str 14, Dex 16, Con 14, Int 8, Wis 12, Cha 10
Spear +6 (1d8+3)
Dagger +6 (1d4+2)
Favored Enemy (humans) +4, (animals) +2
Sneak Attack +1d6
Dodge, Endurance, Mobility, Power Attack, Spring Attack, Track,
Two-Weapon fighting
Possessions: Hide armor, spear, dagger.

As San can makes a pretty good figure at attacking an entire fortress on her own, she's definately qualifying for 6th levle. She isn't stupid, but she's really not good with either people or spirits and seems to be one to just charge in and kick some ass, without making any plans ahead in time. But she really is good at jumping and running on roofs and stuff, so I set her physical stats rather high (for PB 25). And she's really just defending her home and family without any thoughts for the people they kill, so I made her CN.

Eboshi
CG, female human (middle aged), Fighter 2/Rogue 4
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 14, Wis 12, Cha 14
Dagger +5 (1d4)
Masterwork Rifle +7 (1d8)
Sneak Attack +2d6
Combat Relfexes, Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Rifle), Iron Will, Leadership, Point Blank Shot, Weapon Focus (Rifle)
Possessions: Masterwork Rifle, Dagger.

This Lady knows how to kick some ass and walks into battle with her troops, and she seems equal at knife fighting with San, so 6th level for her as well. She seems to be in good shape, but we only see her fighting with a knife and a rifle, so I give her good Dexterity, but only average Strength and Constitution. Intelligence and Charisma is obviously very high, and I put the last points in Wisdom. She's not a fighter in the traditional fantasy sense and seems to like trickery and dirty fighting, so fighter/rogue it is. And if any character deserves the Leadership feat, this is the one!

Jigo
N, male human (middle aged), Fighter 4/Ranger 1/Rogue 1
Str 13, Dex 14, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 12, Cha 10
Favored Enemy (magical beasts) +2
Sneak Attack +1d6

How do you stat out Jigo? What class ISN'T this guy? He's good at hunting and sneaky, so some Ranger and Rogue it is. I put the rest in Fighter, but you could probably exchange some levels for Monk as well. And though it never comes up in the movie, I think he'd also need some cleric or shugenja. I also have no good ideas regarding his feats. Not very much to say to the rest of the stats.

Rune Solider
Loui
CG, male human, Fighter 2/Sorcerer 2
Str 15, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 8, Cha 14
Unarmed Strike +5 (1d3+2)
Wand +5 (1d6+2)
Longsword +5 (1d8+2)
Posessions: Chainmail, masterwork longsword, wand (as club).

No, you've read it right. This is no joke, at least not on my side. Let's just say that Loui is a very unusal magician and that Rune Soldiers is one of the silliest comedy shows I've ever seen. Just watch one episode, and you'll understand. :smallbiggrin:

Melissa
NG, female human Cleric 5
Str 10, Dex 14, Con 10, Int 13, Wis 15, Cha 12
Masterwork warhammer +3 (1d8)
Posessions: Masterwork warhammer.

As this is one of the shows most closely modeled after the rules of D&D, and THE show that is most closely modeled after actual D&D game sessions, Melissa is pretty easy. Straight Cleric, though she never uses any kind of armor. She's good, but not that good to deserve 6th level.

Genie
LG, female human Fighter 6
Str 16, Dex 12, Con 14, Int 10, Wis 11, Cha 10
Masterwork Greatsword +10/+5 (2d6+4)
Masterwork Greatsword +6/+1 (2d6+12)
Masterwork Longsword +9/+4 (1d8+3)
Alertness, Athletic, Cleave, Endurance, Great Cleave (insert pun here, you know which one), Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Power Attack
Posessions: Chainmail, masterwork greatsword, masterwork longsword.

Genie is not stupid, but she's just HUGE! and smashes things with a HUGE! sword. Let's just assume that she's supposed to wear chainmail.

Meryl
CG, female human Rogue 4
Str 10, Dex 15, Con 12, Int 14, Wis 13, Cha 10
Masterwork dagger melee +5 (1d4)
Masterwork daggers ranged (1d4)
Posessions: Masterwork Daggers (lots of them).

Again, this is really easy. A rogue who opens locks and throws around with knives. Really not that much more to say about.

Ila
N, female human Wizard 3
Str 8, Dex 10, Con 9, Int 13, Wis 11, Cha 12
Craft Wondrous Item, Magical Aptitude, Scribe Scroll, Spell Focus (Transmutation)

I figured Ila is really a classic NPC, who provides background information and serves as a contact, but isn't actually interested in an adventure life or combat magic. So I did not give her elite array ability scores and feats related to item creation. Seems to fit.

Lord of the Rings
Frodo: NG, male halfling Rogue 4
Sam: NG, male halfling Rogue 3
Aragorn: NG, male half-elf Ranger 4/Fighter 2
Boromir: LG, male human Fighter 6 (he's one of Gondors most important generals after all)
Legolas: CG, male elf Ranger 6
Gimli: CG, male dwarf Fighter 5
Theoden: LG, male human Fighter 6
Eomer: LG, male human Fighter 6
Eowyn: CN, female human Aristocrat 1/Fighter 2
Elrond: LG, male half-celestial elf Wizard 6 (+20 Feats)
Galadriel: NG, female half-celestial elf Druid 6 (+20 Feats)
Gandalf would probably be a shapechanged planetar or even solar, so this doesn't work here.

Shadow of the Colossus

Wanda
N, human male Fighter 4

He's really lacking about everything one would expect from a "heroic" hero and he's more of a regular guy hero type. Not being crushed by the colossi and managing to destroy al 16 of them is a considerable feat though, so I think 4th level seems apropriate.

Emon (the priest)
LN, human male Cleric 5

He seems important and knows how to handle the artifacts related to Dormins prison, but he does not show any sign of having any great powers.

Emons Guards
LN, human male Warrior 4

We don't really see them in action, so they are probably rather warriors than fighters. Unless they were all that was available to Emon, he would have taken some of his best men with him, but they appear as regular guards with no fancy armor that would identify them as anything special.

Malificus
2010-03-08, 08:04 PM
Gandald would probably be a shapechanged planetar or even solar, so this doesn't work here.

Gandalf was a 5th level magic user. (http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=7338)

Mongoose87
2010-03-08, 08:15 PM
Gandalf was a 5th level magic user. (http://www.therpgsite.com/showthread.php?t=7338)

He was obviously multi-classed, look at how well he uses a sword and rides a horse.

deuxhero
2010-03-08, 08:22 PM
Wasn't he an angel or something? Obviously he is proficent because of outsider type.

penbed400
2010-03-08, 09:03 PM
Well Gandalf was one of the firsts, the person in the post didn't include Gandalf from the Silmarillion where he took a small role but one none the less. Gandalf at least had the spell Move Earth to help shape the world. Plus all the templates he had stacked on him. I'm sure being Gandalf the White was about a +5 template along with him starting out with a few outsider HD and some more LA from that. It is also fairly well known that Gandalf had way more power than was actually displayed in any of the books and that he was held back because that was the rules set down by the Valar. It was when he was sent to the Halls of Mandos and told them of his troubles that they allowed him to use more of his power, probably upping his Intelligence score. He still wasn't Sauron level but thats because Gandalf spent more time enjoying the world around him rather than trying to level like Sauron or Sarumon.

So even if you wanted to really argue that he was only a level 5 spellcaster, his RHD and LA put him way above ECL6.

Gametime
2010-03-08, 09:29 PM
Gandalf is, as people have pointed out, an outsider. If you wanted to stat him up with pure class levels, though, he'd be more of a gish than anything else; his spells are very rarely obvious, but his combat prowess is incredible and he's able to go toe-to-toe with a Balrog. The best way to represent that (aside from just, y'know, making him an angel) is to have him buff himself to high heaven.

RebelRogue
2010-03-08, 09:36 PM
I suppose he's an Aasimar. Well, he's not descended from a celestial as much as he's one given form on the material plane, but otherwise it seems like a good choice.

Draz74
2010-03-08, 09:49 PM
Gandalf is a refluffed Aasimar.

"I can do all kinds of mighty magic because of being an immortal angelic being, but I can't, you know, actually do any of that magic while I'm in the campaign and, in fact, I have to mostly act like I'm an old human." is what we call a backstory.

Epic Aasimar Factotum in an E6 game actually represents Gandalf pretty well. When you consider he also owned a couple of artifacts to improve his spellcasting.

Yora
2010-03-09, 06:56 AM
He was obviously multi-classed, look at how well he uses a sword and rides a horse.
http://gallery.avlis.org/d/4989-7/multiclassing.jpg
How does E6 handle racial HD and LA anyway? I've seen a rule to reduce points for point buy, but it wouldn't allow lizardfolk and bugbears to ever cast 3rd level spells.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-09, 08:04 AM
In LotR, the rings of power given to the dwarves, elves, and men bestowed the ability to gain higher levels than 6th. Gandalf could be any mid- to high-level build you want, but I'd say give him some Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil (which melted the Balrog's sword), a Monk level with Kung-Fu Genius, and maybe even Master of the Unseen Hand (the fight with Saruman). Elrond and Galadriel were two of the original recipients of the rings, and would probably have been somewhere around level 12 due to a lack of adventuring. Saruman, like Gandalf, obviously retrieved one of the dwarves' rings and was able to level up past 6th. Grima Wormtongue was a Bard 3 or 4.

Frodo goes from 1st or 2nd level in the beginning to probably 4th or 5th by the end, most likely Rogue. Sam was the gardener, roped into an adventure against his desires, and would probably be an Expert. He leveled up similarly to Frodo throughout the story. Aragorn was a Ranger 6 with a lot of extra feats, Legolas probably a Fighter 6 with Spot as a class skill, and Gimli a Fighter 5 or 6. Boromir was probably a 4th or 5th level Aristocrat. Most of the NPCs, particularly the nobility, were likely Aristocrats of no higher than 4th level.

It's too easy to just assume that an important character is 6th level. When someone's influence on other characters and the story is more about their position than their own personal abilities/power, they're probably not going to be 6th level. Keep in mind that in E6, only the most powerful individuals are 6th level, exceptional individuals would be 4th or 5th level, and anyone else probably 3rd or lower. Also remember that Aristocrats get all the proficiencies to look like a Fighter, and just a few levels of it gets enough BAB to act like one. Eomer was probably an Aristocrat 4 or 5, Eowyn an Aristocrat 3, and Theodan also an Aristocrat 4 or 5.

Yora
2010-03-09, 08:17 AM
The Balrogs Flame Blade got canceled by Gandalf Minor Globe of Invulnerability. But this thread isn't really about discussing outsiders in LotR. :smallbiggrin:

Lapak
2010-03-09, 09:37 AM
http://gallery.avlis.org/d/4989-7/multiclassing.jpg
How does E6 handle racial HD and LA anyway? I've seen a rule to reduce points for point buy, but it wouldn't allow lizardfolk and bugbears to ever cast 3rd level spells.Which is pretty much in line with the idea of E6. Though a racial feat for them that allows them to treat their casting stat as one higher for the purposes of what level of spells they can cast wouldn't be out of line, either.