PDA

View Full Version : quick mark question [4E]

thubby
2010-03-08, 10:07 PM
if the fighter has someone marked, and the marked target makes an attack of opportunity against someone else, can the fighter attack them?

Sir Homeslice
2010-03-08, 10:09 PM
If the marked creature violates the Fighter's Mark's violation clause and the Fighter is within reach and has the actions, yes.

Sir_Elderberry
2010-03-08, 10:16 PM
Whenever an enemy marked by you is adjacent to you and shifts or makes an attack that does not include you, you can make a melee basic attack against that enemy.
Seems like it to me.

deathpigeon
2010-03-08, 10:25 PM
He definitely can.

Delcan
2010-03-09, 09:48 PM
The fighter can make their immediate-interrupt attack against a marked target if:

1. The target is adjacent; and
2. The fighter has an immediate action available; and
3. The target isn't including the fighter in the attack.

So the answer, basically, is yes.

The fun answer is "yes, and your party should be more than willing to gleefully run past monsters in order to provoke them". In the best situation, the monster should actively have to make a decision - do they really want to try to make a swing, since they have a penalty to hit the target AND they're gonna get slapped around for even trying?

In the best best situation, the fighter should have options to use to make their immediate interrupt attack to really punish the target - item powers that daze, push/pull/slide stuff, and the like. With an add-on like this, not only does the fighter get their free damage in, but the enemy's opportunity attack is completely negated - they didn't even get to get a hit in of their own. Situations like this are the reason that people play fighters. :smallbiggrin:

thubby
2010-03-09, 11:41 PM
cool.
my DM (and the rest of us) were a little unsure that's how it was supposed to work. the plan was to have my ranger shoot something point blank, provoking an AoO, which would let the fighter attack them, my ranger use disruptive strike, and one of the fighter's item powers trigger.

Sir Homeslice
2010-03-09, 11:55 PM
the plan was to have my ranger shoot something point blank, provoking an AoO, which would let the fighter attack them, my ranger use disruptive strike, and one of the fighter's item powers trigger.

Doesn't work, you can't use Immediates on your turn.

deathpigeon
2010-03-10, 12:04 AM
Doesn't work, you can't use Immediates on your turn.

Why not? They are in response to other actions, so what if it happens on your turn or not?

tcrudisi
2010-03-10, 07:18 AM
Why not? They are in response to other actions, so what if it happens on your turn or not?

Sir Homeslice is correct. I've had to remind my players of this rule quite a few times. Here it is from the compendium:

(dealing with all immediate actions, both interrupts and reactions): Once per Round: You can take only one immediate action per round, either an immediate interrupt or an immediate reaction. If you take an immediate action, you can’t take another one until the start of your next turn, but you can’t take an immediate action on your own turn.

Bolded text for emphasis.

Now, what you could do is have someone else provoke the OA (by moving), the Fighter gets his combat challenge attack and then you use Disruptive Strike. That would work since you are not taking the immediate action on your turn.

Yakk
2010-03-10, 10:12 AM
Beyond the rules: on your turn, you are busy doing what you are doing, you don't have time to both do it and respond to someone else's action. What happens on someone else's turn is what is going on at a time when you aren't actually shooting your bow (etc).

Game flow wise, it reduces the size of the action stack.

Game balance wise, many of the immediate actions are much easier to force on your turn -- when you have to wait for someone else's turn, you get them less reliably.